Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Exactly, that is why I think the invasion they did dally with was the wrong thing to do and it was a very different thing to what I suggested despite yours and blanches ridiculous projections.

Now, this is way off topic and is better suited to a history forum. I'm not risking a ban to hear ideas like the one blanch just posted. 'Bombing a country back to the stone age'...indeed. He doesn't think much of the British behind it all. ROFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

A country invading another sovereign nation under the guise of 'peacekeeping' in order to 'save' an ethnic minority....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, just like the Russians expected that diplomacy would solve the Ukrainian situation and that everyone would accept the bona fides of their "peacekeeping" mission.

I don't know which part of the Vietnam War you missed where the NATO allies of the time attempted to bomb a country back to the Stone Age. The naivety of your proposal gets starker with every repetition of your futile defence.

Ukraine is a pawn in geopolitical wargames. No comparison, sorry.

Vietnam attempted to bomb their invaders(also playing that geo political game in the territory of a minor power) back to the stone age? Must have missed that one.

I am frankly amazed that you believe the British would have done that because of an aid mission. I have my issues with the British but I am cocksure they wouldn't have. Diplomacy would have come first, which was the chance we squandered and the vacuum created was filled as it always was going to be.

More Putin talking points.

Do you think the Ukrainian people are brainwashed to want to look westwards and join the EU?

It is funny now that you are essentially taking the side of the aggressor with imperialist agendas. Oh that's right, Russia is seen as an enemy of the UK, so got to get the dig in...

As to a UI and NI, what diplomacy did SF/PIRA engage in first before they started blowing NI up? Let us not forget that the IRA welcomed the BA on the streets of NI, but then the IRA started collecting arms and taking potshots at soldiers. What diplomacy did they do before they started to kill BA soldiers?

• Advertisement

ROFL

I think the troops intimidating, harassing people, breaking up their homes and shooting them within a wet week of boots on the ground caused a wee bit of an issue mark.

Know your history, not the mantra you get fed.

No, that isnt the history actually.

The IRA humiliated found a new target for their overblown sense of teenage angst and decided to try and achieve a UI by physical force republicanism.

They started to stockpile weapons and have a go at the BA.... then it escalated.

But you never answered my question, what diplomacy did the PIRA do before they started their pot shots?

Hate to educate you again, the IRA always had the goal of removing the British by force. That is why even the British PM knew there was a vacuum forming and they knew who would fill it (see their comments on fear of radicalising the south)

The Irish knew it too, but if you read the transcript of Jack Lynch's phone with Heath on the night they shot innocent people dead on the streets of Derry, he was more worried about his power base than any justice for the victims.

Know your history, it's all there in the primary sources.

*Diplomacy had failed Mark...again, research the actual events not the stories you heard from god knows where.

What diplomacy did the IRA do before they started to take potshots at the BA and started a bombing campaign?

Zero mark.

They never were going to do it either. Why you equate paramilitaries to sovereign governments tasked to take responsibility defeats me.

Diplomacy was the job of the two governments, one cowering in fear of losing power(as it still is) and the other, in fairness to Wilson, clueless as to what to do to avoid escalation. The was a window where bravery would have changed things but in came the Tories and people were being shot on the streets in such numbers that the situation became intractable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the one that was attempted by the civil rights movement, which was met with beatings and shootings.

you know this.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

The PIRA had nothing to do with the civil rights movement.

Zero mark.

Oh ok, so you admit that SF/PIRA didn't do any diplomacy with either government and went straight into shooting and bombing modes, yet you blame the two governments for their lack of diplomacy on the issue......??

That's an impossible square to circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

people who were part of the PIRA will have been in the civil rights movement, they will have joined the PIRA due to been beaten and shot at.

so my post is correct.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm 25 and I hope in my life time that their is a united Ireland, my boyfriend is from Omagh but wants a united Ireland also 🤞😬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭maccored

peacekeeping and invasion are the same thing? cant you tell that Russia wasnt actually interested in peacekeeping and in fact invaded? did it go over your head that "peacekeeping" was in inverted commas as thats exactly what an invasion isnt? CHrist sake, poor Francie having to argue with that kind of mindset. You need to sit in the corner and play with the kids toys markodaly

Are you still defending Francie's crazy idea that the Irish State in 1969 should have set the precedent for Russia invading Ukraine and gone into Northern Ireland on a peacekeeping mission to defend our citizens in Crimea Derry?

Still don't know the difference blanch?

😁😁 Sure if we amassed troops and munitions on the border you might have a point, but you have to invent that is what I meant to get some traction. Pathetic.

A bit weird you want to quote a post that is over a month old, but anyway Francie has made an absolute fool of himself still trying to convince us all that the Irish state should have sent troops over the border of a Nuclear powered NATO nation-state...

At the same token, he was arguing that this be done via the UN, but then it was pointed out to him that a) Ireland has a triple lock b) the UK has a veto in the UN and c) we would be unable to authorise this because of a) and b)

In other words, he doesn't have a clue what he is arguing over.

OK sure, we would send in troops unarmed...!

LOL

I wonder what the Irish Defence Forces would have had to say about that.

• Advertisement

Another lie.

Not the first one about this either.

P.S. I am not trying to convince anyone. It's my opinion, take it or leave it.

Watching the Ukrainian resistance and having to cheer it while damning your own who did the same, must be rankling a few feathers on the high moral ground. I'm also surprised the Ukrainians haven't been told to lie down and wait for the Russians to be democrats like some suggested the Irish should have.

What is your advice to them going to be if the Russians win and take over and subjugate them Mark or partition off part of it?

Yes, and we are all laughing at your hair-brained opinion.... :) but alas, you are entitled to your hair-brained opinion, even if they are hair-brained.

Your whataboutism about Ukraine is odd tbh. NI is and was part of the UK and has been for hundreds of years. Sure didn't some SF lads call the current Ukrainian government Nazi's and vote with the Russians?

We can go down that road if you want, but it won't work out well for you Francie.

So you are good with Ukrainian Nationalism, down on Irish nationalism.

OK gothcha!

Yes, because they are both exactly the same thing and we have exactly the same history and situation, said no one ever.... but you....

Odd that!?

Tell you what, if the British Military start shelling Dublin and send an amphibious landing party to Galway, we can talk turkey, otherwise its fantasy and delusion of the highest order.

What if they start shooting people (innocent people) dead in the streets mark after decades of treating them as second class citizens?

Are we allowed a wee bit of the Ukrainian spirit then or is it lie down and take it because it's the UK doncha know!

The hypocrisy would be fun to watch if it wasn't so ineffably tragic and sad.

OK, so Bloody Sunday equates to the Irish state invading the North unilaterally because it's the 'right' thing to do. Ukrainian spirit and all that. Is that your point here?

You do know the majority of the North want to remain as part of the UK? You accepted the GFA, yet you want to invade the North?

Seems to me you have a hard-on for war. If you want one so much, get on a flight to Poland and get busy.

The majority are no longer being subjugated by an army and sectarian government mark.

Nobody said the situations are exactly the same, but the nationalism/resistance to an oppressor comes from the same place.

You have no difficulty with one, tremendous difficulty with the other.

The British Army is still in the North Francie. In fact, when they were deployed into nationalist areas they were welcomed by both the IRA and the people. Trying to draw some false equivalence between the North and Ukraine is typical of armchair republicans tbh. Especially since the same republicans have a soft spot for Russia, Putin and their methods.

The equivalence between the North and Ukraine is the idea of invading a neighbouring country on the false premise of "peacekeeping" to protect an ethnic minority, as has been proposed on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

That's what the Catholics thought they were getting as they cheered in the British Army.

Advertisement