Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I’ve got over 90kW a few times I had to use the faster chargers, low SOC and battery was definitely not warm the few times as well. Once was when an unexpected trip came up and I had only planned on driving around town so was at 20% starting off. Had to head to Galway so drove to the chargers behind the N6 centre in Athlone and charged for 20mins. Hit 92kW after a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Did my 200km commute today (thats 100 each way ), started at 80%, finished with 17% (69km) about 50km of motorway at pretty much 110/120.

Im hoping I will see the GOM get close to 400km on a 100% some day, but right now its 260 on 80%, which is fine for my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Still have no idea why you don't charge to 100% before a long trip.

You're leaving yourself very little wiggle room if anything affected your journey, road closure, diversion etc.

Well I have work charging if I need it, so I experience the road down - if I arrive with the GOM <160km (trip is 100km) I charge. Honestly just trying to avoid 100% on a regular basis - maybe im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Regarding preheating, does temperature make much difference? I see on forums a lot of people like 21-22C, when driving my car is never on anything more than 18-20C. Coming from an ICE I'd be happy with anything for preheating on days when it's icy just take away the discomfort of getting into a freezing car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Volkswagen said last week that it doubled operating profit in 2021 to just under €20 billion thanks to higher prices and a more favourable product mix, despite total unit deliveries hitting a 10-year low of 8.9 million.

😎

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Preheating, as in while connected to the mains ? and do you mean difference to consumption ?

I honestly don't find much of a difference between 20 and 23 degrees on consumption, I think all electrics, that I've been in anyway, seem to adjust the temp cooler the higher you have it set. I don't like the way in every ev i've owned where the heat heats up then cools off too much and keeping it that way requiring me to set the temp higher that I would in an ICE car. Electrics should rather than turn off the heat once set temp is reached just reduce the power to the heater rather than turn it off or turn it down lower than it should and also reduce the fan speed, in the id.3 I find it constantly blows cold air in my face, not good when I have the car set to 23 deg C so a lot of the time I end up manually adjusting the fan and air direction.

But I think even the 58 Kwh id3 has enough range for most people so there's no need to worry about heating, just set it to whatever is comfortable, gone are the days of 100 Km range electrics so there's no need to worry about it any more and there's no need for heat pumps either, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

keeping the cabin heated doesn't consume much power - you can see the GOM rise by about 1km every time you reduce the temperature by 0.5 degrees. so, as madlad says, kind of insignificant within the context of a 58kwh car.

it probably takes a small chunk to get the cabin initially heated to the 18-21 degree sweet spot and so again multiple small journeys become less efficient than one long journey.

really i should plug in every night and preheat on the mains for my morning commute even if i don't recharge the battery. it would be more efficient and i'd still be on night rate. but my charger is untethered and the other side of the garden gate so i just can't be bothered...

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

I’d be more concerned about needlessly dropping below 20% every day. Charging to 90% would avoid that while avoiding a full battery every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

IIRC I noticed some subtle changes to heating after 2.3 update. I found when I had the car that 18c was comfortable for me and fairly constant. My new non VW has a heat pump and I find that doesn't hold the temp as constantly, often having to go up to 21c to stay comfortable. But seems to make very little difference to range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Personally on very cold days I set the heating to something like 22C before I get in the car. That's mostly to try and get everything in the cabin warmed up before the heating cuts out, makes for getting into a nice toasty car

After setting off I drop the temp to 19-20C and it just sort of maintains the warmth

It does eat the battery though so I'd recommend it for short hops or when you're plugged in

I recently dropped the preheating to 18C as it's warmed up a good bit and I'm not using the car as much. I just like to give it a good airing each day to keep the cabin fresh

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

I thought was the case but advice seems to vary. Though most agree that low or high SOC only matter if left for days at a time.

https://insideevs.com/features/539278/electric-car-ev-degradation-battery/

Preventative Measures

Avoid getting your EV below 10-20% battery remaining. All EVs have a lower usable battery capacity, but avoiding reaching the battery's critical zones is a good practice. 

If you drive a Tesla, Bolt, or any other EV with a manual charge limiter, try to not exceed 90% in day-to-day driving.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/your-questions-answered/96/electric-car-battery-life-how-preserve-your-battery

How to prolong your electric car battery’s life

1. Don’t overcharge it: constantly topping up your electric car to keep it fully charged can actually damage it. Laptops, for example, lose battery capacity if they're plugged in all the time. It's better to let the capacity run down to 10 or 20%, then recharge to around 80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

There’s a bms in the car for a reason, charge to 100% and enjoy the ride-

6 years of hammering an i3 here, charge to 100% and down to 8% every day, left at 100% when not in use and I’m still getting the same range. Just as well as I’m about to pass the 160,000 km battery warranty soon.

The id3 when it lands will be no different -

VW hide 8-10% at the low end so 17% would be more like 27%, at least that's the what the app tells me.

The 94 Ah (33 Kwh) BMW i3 is truly amazing, I didn't believe the specs Samsung provided at the time but I do now!!! After 4.5 years and 134,000 Kms the i3 showed no noticeable loss of range at all and even the reported battery Kwh was the same as when I got it, incredible for just a 33 Kwh battery ( 28 usable, less with the Rex)

Here's hoping the 77 Kwh id3 battery is just as robust. BMW did have a state of the art cooling system too not seen in any ev since and it baffles me why other manufacturers didn't do this, it's just so simple and efficient, it's direct AC cooled, no coolant and a heating element to warm it up ( only to 10 Deg C) don't think I ever saw the battery over 35 Deg C for more than a couple of mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Anyone know what the latest waiting list times are on the id3 please?

Not charging the battery to 100% is always a good idea, there's more than enough studies, peer reviewed papers and actual evidence that using say 30-80% or better 30-70% is going to greatly improve cycle life.

My attitude is if you don't need to use 100% of the battery then don't charge to 100%, If I charged to 70% a return trip to the furthest site I have to go to in Ballycoolin ind Est in Blanch from just North of Carlow Town with the Tour 5 would see me get back to work with 30% charge around 170 Kms.

I remember the day in the 2015 Leaf with 21 usable Kwh where I had to charge up in Blanch shopping centre when I went there shopping just to get back home lol. 21 Kwh to now 77 Kwh is a massive leap, so too is the cost, the Leaf SVE highest trim cost 28K with 6.6 kw charger. But funny enough my repayments on PCP are just about the same with the same deposit........

When I'm on the Blanch site I always charge to 100% because I never know if I'll be back the next day and want to suck as much as I can from that charge point with the id3 11 Kw charger. It would be nice if it had a 20 Kw AC charger...... but the other site only has 3 pin plug, the previous manager was dead against installing proper charge points, the new manager might be more open to having proper charge points.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd doubt you'd get one before this time next year the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

i charge to 100% for Dublin trips but I don’t really need to. 80% the rest of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Agree with that, never worried me charging to 100% if I thought I might need it. My new car actually advises charging to 100% whenever possible..🙂

• Advertisement

lol, I feel like im getting scolded here - just to clarify, I usually charge to 80% arrive at work at 40-45% and charge at work back to 70-80% and drive home with 40-50% when im home.

It's more curiosity can I do the round trip on 80%, but 4-6 euro at work is fine.

Slightly worried about a trip Galway-> Sligo return with guests, and how they will view the 'oh we need to sit here to charge' penny drop moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

Well now I just did cork Dublin 235km and it did 22kwh/100 @120kph ,left @100% 309km on GOM ARRIVED WITH 32KM displayed. Nice sunny day 9c and a little wind.I expect the return journey again CC @120kph to clock in at 20Kwh/100 being downhill and whatnot.

What battery ?

always helps when people mention that lol

I'll be going from Carlow to Clare around the same 235 kms, no problem in the Tour 5, I was looking at the charge point map, the coverage of high power chargers even 50 Kw is really disgraceful.

Don't forget that the id3 hides around 8-10% at the low end as I discovered via the obd app. At least that's the case on my car and I suppose with updates that can change. Though updates are very few........

58kw 204hp

Update on return journey 18kwh/100

Oh and charging at 71.9kWh/h

Drove from home I to town this evening and after 6 kms when I got to town I saw 11.7 Kwh/100 km

sun kept the car warm and I actually needed just the fan to keep me at the right temp.

its amazing when you don't need heat or battery heat, never saw this low consumption.

I downloaded the update for the weconnect app on android and the updates are for 3.0 software versions and this is what it says.

*view your last parking position

*Check windows and doors are closed and locked and lights are off

*check vehicle is locked

*Temperature notifications in cold weather to prevent the cold from effecting battery performance

This is not very good translation "*Temperature notifications in cold weather to prevent the cold from effecting battery performance"

What does this even mean ? does it mean that it will give a recommendation if the battery temp is low to activate the battery heater ?

Most other things are checks, for example, check doors are open, no such ability to remote lock or close windows.

Baby steps......... I'm still on 2.2 software! 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've seen three iD3's out in the wild and just seen an ad for one on YouTube and reminded me so here I am. One was in eyre square in Galway so you wouldn't be driving fast but the two others pulled out of a junction with me following along out of junction too and both were driving as slow as f**k. Never put the foot down. Like really slow, enough that had me giving out behind them. What's up with that trying to save the battery or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

People not in a rush to go anywhere or on the clock for work and not hurrying back.

• Advertisement

Plenty of ICE drivers drive like that lol.

Advertisement