Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

We are slow to learn new things at first. The more we learn, the quicker we learn more. Shown on a curve, this means the more/quicker we learn, the steeper the curve.

I was referring to the England v Ireland rugby match on Saturday.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe I'm thinking of a different incident. I thought in the replay Itoje slapped JGPs hand forcing the knock on. But I thought that was a penalty initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ireland weren't very poor for most of the match, I completely disagree. Our scrum was very poor or at least judged to be by the ref.

Bonus point record win at Twickenham, "very poor". We've lost the plot.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its a penalty if he hits the ball, however if you take the arm if fair game.

very clever by itoje

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

The current squad on the Leinster website doesn't include Joe McCarthy, incredible, what a promotion to the Irish squad !!!

Makes one wonder what Joe Schmidt saw in Jean Klein . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Its a real pity that U20s group with, Crowley, Joe mccarthy, Prendergast, Alex Soroka, thomas Ahern, Ethan McIlroy , Dan Kelly and much more never got to go to the junior world cup, one of our most talented groups ever.

Ah McCarthy is there because they need another body for training and he's close by on short notice. Wouldn't be getting carried away. Looks a good prospect for Leinster though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Should that have been a penalty against itoje? Playing the man while off his feet or something like that? How is that different from situations where a player messed with the SH at a ruck?

The bonus point win does not mean it was a good performance by Ireland throughout the whole match. Ireland played well for a short while at the start and again in the last 10 minutes. Otherwise, England were dominant.

We were destroyed in the scrum and at the breakdown - conceding 17 turnovers and 15 penalties.

We are definitely a great team to watch. Some of our attacking play was glorious. However, much of it was also panicked, wasteful and error strewn. The very best teams will still beat us unless we maintain composure even when we are favourites to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Otherwise, England were dominant.

They absolutely were not. They were shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

I actually backed him at 40/1 to go on the Lions tour at the start of last season. The season he is having this year, I expected him to have it last year. He may have and all if he wasn't injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I've watched the game back again. England are a very average team. They are big and strong but very little else. I'm convinced they were scrummaging illegally after getting driven back after the first one.

I think we were very close to putting 50 on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Their heroism nonsense shows how much they've fallen, I don't think they expected to win that game at all. I'm not sure why they feel so optimistic after that game.

Well they dominated their way to spending 17 seconds in the entire game in our 22. Again, I could not possibly disagree more. They dominated absolutely nothing bar the scrum. And I hope you don't think we conceded 17 turnovers at the breakdown because that isn't what that stat means. Posted these stats before but worth posting again:

8 line breaks to 1

26 defenders beaten to 7

57% possession and 61% territory

555m run vs 214m

4 tries to 0

Rucks won 97% to 93%

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Rewatched the game and kept an eye on England this time. The just didn't play well on Saturday. The thing that struck me most is how inaccurate they were and how little ambition they really have in attack. They tried going through the hands in the first half to limited success. Their passing was just off all day. They constantly had to check their runs before receiving the ball.

In the second half they abandoned their running game and seemed to focus entirely on a pressure game. It's an effective tactic when it's done right. Rain high balls on a back three and force them into mistakes. But it worked just twice. Once when Keenan fielded it but our sweepers where slow to the clear out. The second time Keenan fielded another but knocked on in the subsequent tackle.

We can't underestimate just how much energy a team can get from a dominant scrum and when they win the little battles like that turnover pen and knock on. It has a very positive psychological effect. But once England's energy levels dipped it was obvious that they had no effective attacking game plan other than scrummaging and looking for three points. They're wasting talents like Marcus Smith if this is all that they're asking him to do.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

No, you have it entirely wrong.

Google “learning curve”, the first image shows a steep curve that flattens out, like a lower case r.

Typically y axis is accumulated learning and x axis is time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah the ITV commentators (and Nick Mullins is one of the best around in fairness) narrative of plucky England has seemingly taken hold.

Sure it was a bit closer than we'd have liked at the 60 minute mark, but we beat them comprehensively.

Any sort of decent performance next week and we win the Triple Crown, I know some can be sniffy about that, but we've only won 11 of them since 1883 so another one would be nice.

Eh no. An good example why a quick google search does not necessarily lead to understanding.

It was very close - we never remotely looked like scoring 50 points.

That’s why there is a small clique in here and hardly anyone else anymore.

its a forum for debate and discussion lads. Not just an echo chamber.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It is a forum for debate and discussion but if you want to have a debate and a discussion then you should do so based on facts which back up your opinion.

Other than questionable scrums, there was no other aspect of the game in which England had Ireland's number. In loose play England were completely outplayed and never looked like scoring a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ireland played well for most of the game. We forced a few passes in scoring positions, but it still required good work to get into those positions. Englands defence was good, as was their tactical kicking. But beyond that they didn’t offer a whole lot in open play. We probably left 2-3 tries out there on the day. That wasn’t a game that England should have won. It was a game we should have won by more. The stats bear that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

What about diminishing returns? This would surely lead to a flattening of the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

So do you want to expand on that, what does your version of a learning curve look like and why is it different to the one below?

Below is what the common understanding of learning curve is, when people talk about steep learning curves etc, this is what they mean:

https://www.valamis.com/hub/learning-curve

“The learning curve theory proposes that a learner’s efficiency in a task improves over time the more the learner performs the task.”

Also a slightly more complicated graph involving a slow start before rising:

“The bottom of the curve indicates slow learning as the learner works to master the skills required and takes more time to do so.

The latter half of the curve indicates that the learner now takes less time to complete the task as they have become proficient in the skills required.”

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

It was very close - we never remotely looked like scoring 50 points.

How was scoring 50 ever an expectation? Most I can find them conceding in Twickenham is 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Violent Mediocrity

Yeh I was thinking of Kelleher - he is moping around with his eyes cast down acting the victim while Sheehan is sure confident and slick. Kellehers in the unenviable position of having his own humility as a factor against him counteracting and displacing the man mountain Sheehan. 

So if I was him with this deficit in perception against me I would look to rebalance the scales. In short he’s going to have to go up to him in training and **** lamp him in the nose and put him on his arse. Then the cock sure hooker will think twice about strutting around like he owns the place. 

Make him think twice about his standing next to Kelleher and knock his confidence. Kelleher will likely not do this and be a man of independence and rely on rock to make sure he is selected. If he wants to take the first spot he needs to address this Marty Mcfly moment in his and every other player’s career coming up behind him. A dust up isn’t good enough - he needs to lay him out flat. Or he will play second fiddle for the rest of his career.

Post edited by Violent Mediocrity on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

^

Oh just fcuk off with this trolling shite.

It didn't work first time, it won't work now.

This place becomes a compete sewer at six nations time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

For the middle 40 minutes, it was somewhat the perfect storm in England's favour. They had a "backs to the wall", plucky underdog mentality from the red card, which English teams are always very dangerous with. They had dominance in the scrum, which gave them massive emotional energy, field position and points. It also brought the Twickenham crowd into the game, which is a huge factor. That was compounded by us giving away many stupid penalties and being very inaccurate in attack, which led to more scrums, which led to England getting more and more access into the game and pulling it back to 15 all when we should have been out of sight.

The Doris disallowed try was a massive moment in the game. Had that try stood, I think we would have been out of sight and we probably would have racked up a score. But a knock on was given, and England won a scrum penalty which gave them a massive emotional lift and it allowed them into the game.

For a lot of the game, I don't think we played well at all. We were sloppy in possession and gave away stupid penalties. And it was our better players like Beirne, Furlong, Sexton and Henderson making the mistakes too. But I think we did magnificently well to weather the English onslaught (which we largely brought on ourselves) in their backyard and keep our composure and put them to bed. You could clearly see the entire England team and their crowd growing in confidence and belief in the 2nd half. That's a very difficult thing to overcome, but we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Oooh graphs! 😊

I love a graph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think England's decision to go into the air so much as they did was probably the right one given that we were coughing up a penalty at every scrum. Thankfully Keenan did a really great job of fielding under pressure with minimal knock-ons. That being said, I don't think they could have put it through the hands even if they wanted to.

Advertisement