Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Totally agree with Alan Shatter on The Tonight Show this evening. Which is, that the West are playing this way too weak because of Putin's inferred threat of escalating to nuclear war. It's a bluff and we should call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Russian soldiers need sealed food portions ?

Now there's an opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

None of this is new, but no one cared about it till this war studied.

And as if we didn't know how stupid many football fans are, quite a few Chelsea supporters are chanting at matches in support of Abramovich. They don't care. Between survival of Ukraine and some sh*tty trophy, they'd take the trophy.

Newcastle fans even worse.

Would love to see sport (see also formula 1) take a serious look at itself and where its money comes from but in the long term don't expect much change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

US told allies that Russia requested 5 types of military gear from China, including Surface To Air Missiles. Also drones, armored vehicles, logistics vehicles & intelligence-related equipment. US did not provide underlying intelligence in cables to allies

Im sure they have also asked China for all of this on tick

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Appearing at all good circuses - Tucker Carlson & his amazing facial expression of faux outrage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Not at all surprising and very depressing. Men will do this to women, even in such situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thing is, rotten cronyism enforced by a corrupt police state completely rots all initiative and responsibility (what we’d regard as people getting paid to do a job- professionalism)- if the whole lot is rotten you’ll just be out for all you can get rather than any loftier aspirations. Far as I can see Russia is a completely dysfunctional state, top to bottom- basic supply chains don’t work as a westerner would assume. Without western technology and hand holding I think this country is going to completely disintegrate- coupled with a long ongoing and now accelerated brain drain and sharp population decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

Xi Jinping faces a fateful decision on Ukraine

China’s ‘no limits’ partnership with Russia risks open confrontation with the west

well worth a read..

Tucker Carlson inherited a massive frozen food business worth millions of dollars, he is also a potential Republic nominee for US president, either in 2024 or beyond. He's just playing that game at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

And if it isn't a bluff? You willing to bet your entire hand on calling it? Because that's more or less the choice here.

Following through on your poker analogy it's essentially betting the fate of the entire world that Putin won't escalate to WMDs just so the West can "win" Ukraine. Any poker player worth his salt wouldn't take on that bet; in fact any poker player worth his salt wouldn't even enter the game in the first place. That's where NATO/EU are right now.

And even if NATO dive head first into Ukraine to wipe out every piece of Russian equipment successfully: do you think Putin just does nothing in response? Just sits there and takes it? Even if we accept he won't use nuclear weapons he still has plenty of conventional munitions he could use to get up to all kinds of fuckery all over the world. Undersea cables? Coastal cities and critical infrastructure? Nuclear power stations? Oil wells and drilling platforms? Air and sea lanes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

Nothing like a bit of noodles and bat to hit the spot after a hard day on the front line.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Irish government sent a care package to Ukraine containing 200 pieces of body armor and 10 tons of MREs (meal ready to eat).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

Watching this happening is akin to a geopolitical trolley problem i.e. do you stand by, provide arms, refuge, aid, intel but still witness tens of thousands die or do you go down a route which could potentially kill billions.

There's establishing a no fly zone but then there is enforcing a no fly zone. NATO shooting down Russian planes? Let's hazard a guess as to how that might ultimately end. Cool heads need to prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

we are no longer neutral then we are the mammy of Nato, a warm jumper and a hot meal for all

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A Russian drone violated Polish airspace today near Lviv. It was shot down by Ukraine. The concern is Russia is now actively seeking weapon transports from the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

From a strategic position Russia should have been able to take Ukraine in 2-3 days. Whats happening now is that the Russian Military is an embarrassment to Putin which is unfortunate as he will raise the stakes to save face and will result in more desperate attempts to take Ukraine(chemical warfare/whatever it takes).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

He'd probably do alright if he ran for POTUS (assuming Trump wasn't also in the race), but he'd be another Russian asset in the White House like Trump was, if only because of his ability to polarise and paralyse.

It's good that the mask fully fell from Putin's face in such a way that even a casual onlooker can see exactly what he is. There were/are loads of right wing agitators on the periphery of Western politics who'd like to rule as Putin does, including Carlson. Funny to see them (mostly) backtracking now, but it's a great wake up call as well. Anodyne democracy ain't so bad, if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Isn't he something like the most popular pundit on TV over there? It's like they are on another dimension that fragmented off reality sometime in the mid-90s. Is he just a professional contrarian? I grew up in the 1980s and I just can't get my head around Americans sitting in front of the TV and some dick is telling them to support Russia.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes they are embarrassing and personally I'd kick them both squarely up the arse with extreme prejudice on my part.

But and make no fúcking mistake folks, that's part and parcel of our free democratic society that we should defend at all fúcking costs, especially in times of trouble and confusion and the clamouring voices of the majority, and all too often the mob. The freedom to hear dissenting voices, no matter how much they may irritate, even inflame, is the price we pay and yes, the bonus of living in a free democratic society.

Because without dissenting voices we're not free and we're not democratic and we can't hope to move forward. And it's dissenting voices against the majority and the Accepted Truth(tm) de jour that has all too often given us the rights and freedoms we hold so dear today and will give us the rights and freedoms of tommorow.

Put it another way; if this boards.ie was around in 1940's Ireland, the vast majority posting today, yes you, who are so fúcking sure of your postiton, opinion and morality; you, and me with it, would almost certainly have been anti divorce, anti contraception, anti Gay, anti secularism, anti a woman's right to choose, anti gender equality, anti race equality, anti equal pay and a host of other things, while polishing your rosary beads. If you think you wouldn't be, I'm afraid the stats are against you.

We're not that today, precisely because of many dissenting voices that didn't agree, while the rest of us caught up. Finally. Most people in a society are cock sure they're on the right side of history, it's the dissenting voices that regularly point out to us that we're not.

In putin's facist Russia, dissenting voices are absent, or pilloried, or worse. This very evening a brave woman stood up on Russian TV to show her dissent. And she will be "absent", or worse. That's putin's and their problem. It shouldn't ever be ours. It can't be ours. Not if we value the society we've built and live in and hope to preserve and improve for all. if voices like Daly and Wallace are the price we pay for our freedom? I'll happily pay it. It's cheap at twice the fúcking price.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’d say tripping over themselves to distance themselves from Putin now. From what I can gather amongst the grass roots republican Putin is a red rag to them. Traditionally they were fiercely anti communist/Russian so it would appear that natural instinct is still there and/or at least a return to it.

I also feel this has massively dented any hopes trump had of 2024. His Putin links will be thrown in his face at every juncture but will stuck much more now as Putin is in the front of world subconscious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Running the tremendous risk of complimenting him, I think he had no redeeming ethical qualities but he was far more intelligent and extremely charismatic than Putin. Putin isn't in the same ballpark, if Hitler had access to modern weaponry the results would have been even more perverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

I guess given the names many would have assumed he and the producer are Ukrainian?

The problem I have with them two is that is unlikely to be the mandate they were voted in on. Few extra bob in the social welfare, unicorn housing programmes, tax the super wealthy. Being an apologist for that cretin in the Kremlin? I highly doubt it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I think US Intelligence who have been all the ball throughout are more credible than Alan Shatter tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Thats the part I dont get. Mc Carthyism still lives on in the grass roots Republicans. They fear the big red devil however Putin is the total opposite of what communism stands for. ...

Yeah, I see your point, I've no problem with dissenting voices at all. It does make me uncomfortable that they are voting in the place of their constituents and embarrassing the country. There's no doubt they have the support of the small minority of hard liners, but they didn't get them over the line in the elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭wassie

Thats the difference between the US & Russia.

In the states you get a choice of what BS you watch......and you probably have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

They should all be given phones with sim cards or some sort of GPS panic devices.

I have no doubt that traffickers will take advantage. Surely the tech tools are in place to mitigate against these pricks in 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think it's simple enough, the us, the west and the global capitalist liberal system, has the current world map tilted in their favour. It's in their interest to get through these rough patches without being forced to make any major moves or take risks. That is what NATO is hoping for, committing forces in a conventional war would tilt things slightly in china's favour. Both sides playing a very long game, Russia is just a stooge .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement