Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I actually don't think I've found Jarburg yet, but there's a windmill town later in the game which may be my favourite place in the entire game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Nice fight, a show off there haha.

Yes, I can see people will be playing this game for months at least - i know people who play pvp play souls game for years so ya ER is the largest so years and years for sure.

For my 2nd run I will do whatever comfy long range - I deserve to chill and enjoy the ride this time around lol. I am tempted to do that cannon shield build (self-harm and then output damage).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is sorcery kind of boring? Seems like you end up using pebble throughout most of the game, even though its the 1st spell you get.

Trying to decide what to play next, even though i'm nowhere near finished with my 1st character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm ~35 hours in using an Int build and haven't used pebble in around 20 hours :) Plenty of other options to experiment with (Carrian Slicer, Greatbow etc...) - good old Rock Sling has become my go to spell, and that is more challenging to use correctly due to its very specific range and trajectory (plus having to take advantage of stagger opportunities). But I'm also engaging in much more close-quarters combat after getting the Moonveil katana. Not boring at all IMO - plenty of options to experiment with.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I've found though cool spells in my 15 hours ish playtime that I'm definitely going Int build next time.

• Advertisement

To me it looks like Incantations are more varied and interesting. Most of the Sorceries are variations of the same 3-4 types of spells. Incantations seem to have a lot more buffs, elements, damage over time etc.

That said, most of the better weapons, particularly for a Dex build, scale more with Int rather than Faith. So I'm happy with the trade-off. The spells side of things is more of a ranged attack to supplement melee, rather than the primary form of attack, especially using the weapon skill so often which drains FP.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm enjoying my Faith guy. Have the starting flame spell, a fireball spell and the Frenzy spell that shoots from your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Oh my god there's giant bears??? Ofc there is. What level do you have to be to tackle them?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The giant bears were a nightmare, till i actually stood my ground and fought them. Not too bad when you're not on horseback.

I got one down to half health but there was loads of them. Won't be going back there for a while!

Anyone else that played DS3 finding parrying much easier in this game? I definitely am, the guys riding around Limgrave on horseback were a total pain until I realised if you parry their swing it knocks them off the horse and then it's a much easier fight. I've noticed it with the mini bosses I've fought as well, Patches and one other that I forget the name of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Any gimmick swords like the Rakuyo from Bloodborne? Loved that weapon.

Lost 128k runes in a catacomb...

Not hugely disastrous. At the point where its about 1.5 levels worth of runes, but I'm also in a place where Mimic and I could farm it back in the same area pretty quickly. But still, sucked ass. Especially as it wasn't even to the boss of the catacomb, but rather was down a secret area and the treasure was just some ashes I'm never going to use.

Decided to stop moving east, and check the side quests. I've been using the wiki for those as you wouldn't have a hope of keeping track otherwise.

For the most part it seems even ones you know will affect the endings you can pretty much play all sides do them all and then commit later, I was worried about the Volcano Manor and Lord of Blood ones but those are worth doing for the rewards. Wish I'd killed Dung Eater the first chance I got, he's one sick ****.

I'll spoiler this one below, I had a problem progressing Boc's one and getting him to take a certain item.

When he moves to the capital, or even before he should ask about a golden sowing needle but he never did for me despite me having it already. You need to buy and wear a piece of demi god gear from the old hag next to the two fingers at roundtable. However for me this gear was already in it's altered state for some reason. Just sit at the site of grace and alter it back to it's original state and talk to Boc while wearing it and he should then have a dialogue option.

Thanks for the tip on 'no skill'. I can finally wield my greatshield and it's class (enemy attacks just bounce off it) but it's skill shield bash replaced Bloody Slash. The No Skill ash from the warmaster worked a treat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I got a shock when I died during a run yesterday and realised I dropped 98,000 runes I didn’t know I had (worth around three levels and a couple of decent upgrades at my current level). Had no idea I had any significant amount of runes at all and would’ve spent them if I’d known! I’d just killed one of the Erdtree avatars in Caelid so it was obviously packing more runes than I’d assumed (usually I only care about the Mixed Physiks drops). Thankfully I recovered them despite some pesky spider hands being in the way.

On a related note, one of the best jokes in the game is the first Erdtree you find in Limgrave gives you free Physik options and then every subsequent tree you find has a bloody avatar guarding it 😆

Heads up in case you missed out on this because the NPC who sells it will become unavailable after a time and getting him to sell it again isn't obvious.

You can find him later in

Volcano Manor in full tank Armor , and you have to do two Manor hits, and then talk to him and help him do one so he offers his stuff for sale again.

Also my veteran souls knowledge failed my until tonight, I'd a pile of the silver chickens feet (not what they are called) but I should have been popping one of those before each boss for 30% extra runes.

Can't use the grand lift of dectus yet so went exploring, my God it's incredible how this game keeps throwing unique locations and enemies at you. Puts absolute shame on other devs who copy and paste their open world with the same environments and filler.

Found some class and scary dungeons, mostly underground, killed a few bosses i did not think i would be able to, ran away from a few areas i knew i couldn't handle and now I'm exploring Caelid, one of the oppressive levels in any game. Finally found the physik flask I'd heard so much about, can you up the uses like regular flasks?

Physik flask is one use only, alas - can’t be upgraded to get more.

Cool ok, still handy to pop before a boss.

I'm at a fort in Caelid and found what i need to proceed North. Is it worth finishing up Caelid now (level 40) or going north and coming back?

• Advertisement

Tips video from Vaati

https://youtu.be/vEQCRFcIogY

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Was going to mention that video also - didn't watch it all as it's very spoilerish but the very first tip about warping to Roundtable Hold is invaluable! I was always zooming out on the map and dragging the cursor down to get there. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Would you recommend this game for a RPG newbie, I literally have no experience with them but I'm hearing just good things about this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Absolutely yes. It's more of an action RPG. I've done very little of the RPG stuff bar levelling and am having a blast

Yeah. It has a somewhat steep learning curve and if you’re on PC I’d strongly recommend getting a controller. Loads of good guides and wikis online if you get stuck but watch out for spoilers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

No where near as steep as any of the other soulsborne games though - certainly in the traditional open world areas being able to just back up or flat out run away helps. 😂 Being able to crouch and stealth around enemies is a huge help too. There also seems to be way more flexibility in how you can approach combat - no more having to master one technique to make progress. I also love that there isn't realms of dialogue you have to wade through from NPCs and the game is much more obvious about what an item is used for etc. But yeah - 100% recommend the game to anybody.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Exploring Liurnia of the Lakes now. Christ this place is massive.

Also finally got by faith up so I can start flinging fire and lightning everywhere. I'm not wussing out with sorceries like some of you, incantations for me. Really enjoying the black flame fireball. Does a good chunk of damage. Thinking of raising my weight limit so I can equip another incantation item on my shield arm so I can start buffing my weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Glintstone Pebble vs Glintstone Shard.

Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

I dunno I'm using the weapon dropped by the very first boss you see :)

• Advertisement

Flame of Frenzy is brilliant. I'm going to try some dragon incantations as well.

Advertisement