Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 24.4.22

Options
  • 05-12-2021 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

So, after being deferred twice in 2020 and again in 2021, hopefully we’ll make the start line in April. The date is a couple of weeks later than the last time I ran there in 2016, so hopefully spring sunshine! Places are all filled, according to the website, but it’ll be interesting to see whether the three deferrals result in late withdrawals. Despite my only DNF in 16 years of marathoning having occurred in Conn, I love it down there, it’s beautiful scenery, challenging course, solitude and camaraderie.

If everything goes my way, this will be my 30th marathon. It’s too early to be making predictions, but I’ll aim for a time beginning with 2:5.. for now, and see what I can do over the next four months on that.

Any of you out there entered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I'm in for the half. I originally was entered for the full in 2019, changed to the half, then had to defer. 2016 was the coldest conditions I've ever run in (HM) - I couldn't feel my hands early on. Hopefully we'll get there again in April. 1:40 for me that day, I'd hope to improve on that with a decent training block.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I've a half entry carried over from 2020. I imagine I will just be running it for the experience of doing it ... because 1. it sounds bloody tough and 2. I'm hopefully running Berlin half a couple of weeks before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RonzoRonzo

Would love to but missed out on a bib. Any idea if places arising from withdrawals will be re-released?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

It’s a tough half marathon in particular. In the full, the first 13 miles are grand, maybe only a couple of small uphill sections, then a few good fast miles down to Leanaun where the half marathon starts.

Heading out of the village, there’s a very long drag, about a mile and a half, if memory serves me correctly. Following that, there’s about 6 or 7 miles on the flat as far as Maam. Turning right in Maam then it’s turning right for the infamous Hell of the West. This is a long long rise, about 3 miles I think, it probably looks tougher than it actually is however. Expect to lose about 30 seconds per mile at best. If the wheels are coming off before this point, you’ll likely see people walking up the hill. At the top of the hill, there’s then a fast, downhill section, maybe about a mile to the finish at Peacocks in Maam across. You might not make up time lost, but at least you’ll get moving well again.

For the ultra, the first 13.1 from Maam Cross to Inagh valley is flat and fast. Undoubtedly, the toughest of the three sections is the half marathon. That’s the beauty of it though. I’m looking forward to righting the wrongs of the last time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

And don't forget to throw in the Connemara weather in April... Russian roulette!

• Advertisement

Got a great email saying I am in for April. Here is the link to check if you are in!

https://www.connemarathon.com/entries-deferred-to-2022.pdf

Some places are available according to organisers on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭PIORUN

doing Ultra this year ( if I can keep the injuries at bay ) ...first Ultra....anyone have any advice/ tips?

3.30 back in the day....10 years ago!..... on average about 3.40-3:45 over the last few years

• Advertisement

Well, I ran the ultra in connemara twice. Obviously, there's the course profile, with the flat first third, slightly up and down 2nd third, followed by the last third which is the toughest, with 2 big climbs including the Hell of the West which is 2 miles up at 4 miles to go. The course profile is not the problem though: you know it in advance, you can prepare physically and more importantly mentally for it. I would take the first third as a warm-up. It is the most lonely part of the course. After 13 miles you'll get to pick the slowest of the marathon runners eventually, so that's something to forward to. Same after Lennane.

The problem with the Connemarathon is the weather: it can be glorious or it can be very raw. If it is windy in the West you'll suffer for sure and that is very tough mentally because whatever target you may have had goes out of the window. The course is very exposed and the wind funnels in parts (down to Lennane). You may get soaked or have hail showers. Watch out for the wind chill effect, especially if wet. In an ultra, you run slower than in a marathon so your body temperature is lower. 2016 was an awful year with ambulances everywhere picking up people suffering from hypothermia...

As far as training goes, I would not change much from marathon training except that you need to do back to back long runs. So for example, you need to do a couple of progression runs of 16 miles on Saturday followed by 20 miles on Sunday. That should get your legs and mind ready.

Looking forward to it myself, but just the marathon this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

2016 was the last time I ran Connemarathon (full) - it was the only race I've ever hated every step of, the weather was atrocious (rain, sleet, hail - all horizontal from the gale-force winds), I was soaked to the skin and absolutely frozen! Thank goodness I'd been able to arrange a shower at Peacock Hotel at the finish line (contacted them weeks in advance just so I'd have a shower to look forward to after a tough run), and they were so good, wrapped me up in a blanket while I waited for a shower to open up (in a room that hadn't been cleaned yet) - yeah I can well imagine a lot of folks suffered hypothermia, I was borderline myself, never been so cold and miserable in my life, before or since. My whole body hurt from the cold, shivered for hours after.

Compared to 2015, which was glorious, sun came out (to the point I was stripping off layers along the way!), clear blue skies, pleasantly warm, full enjoyment of the stunning scenery, just a lovely day out and I had a great time that day (experience and clock alike).

I enjoyed 2015 so much that I signed up for 2016 as soon as entries opened. Hated 2016 so much I refused to signed up again for years. Now I'm in for 2022, so let's hope the weather is good this time round again 🤞🙏

Fair play to you!

In 2019 (the last edition), the wind was pretty strong too (yellow warnings if I remember correctly...). Fingers crossed for 2022!

thanks for this info echancrure.... haven't been able to run back to back long runs on weekends recently due to a niggle shin injury...don't want to push it too much as it had me out for 6 weeks a few years ago. I've got up to 26 miles yesterday but the plan is the try squeeze a couple of 30 miles in the next few weekends.... Yesterday I couldn't stop thinking about how much more I had to run on the day even after finishing 26 miles...I'd say there could be a lot of walking in the last 13 miles on the day.

how did you mange the aid stations of the day? did you leave much at the and would a change of socks /clothes be useful at one?

Hi Piorun,

on back to back runs, I think you'd be better off running 18m + 18m in two days rather than a long run of 30m: frequency is just as important as distance, it's a longer distance anyway and it's easier to recover from.

Regarding the aid stations: I simply did not leave anything at them. In an ultra, you run slower than in a marathon so the risk of hitting the wall is actually lesser. I carried my own gel and there's plenty of water on the course. I really don't see the need for a change of dry clothes: the thought of stopping, taking shoes off, putting on new socks, putting shoes back on at the side of the road and then starting to run again on really stiff legs after 5 minutes of fumbling really does not appeal to me. Very little to gain, just an increase in mental strain. Inevitably, a lot of items get lost on the ultra aid station tables... the stuff you left may not be there when you come to them or it may take you a while to find it: not worth the stress.

In an ultra, the mind plays a bigger role than the physical aspect compared with a marathon: if you start looking forward to the aid stations then it gets harder to start again from them.

The only exception I would perhaps make would be if the weather is forecast to change during the race: but then again predictions are never that accurate so if windchill is gonna be a factor, you'd be better off having a rain jacket, gloves and hat with you during the entire run, because as mentioned the forecast may be wrong and those clothes may be in scattered by the time you get to the aid station tables.

Best of luck.

wow excellent advise again echancrure, thanks a lot ...that's load of my mind RE aid stations I was wasting too much time trying to think about what to leave at them and where. ...I wear a hydration vest anyway so I've plenty of room to carry stuff. I'll might give that a shot for the long runs so .

"Peacockes Hotel at the finish area will be an accommodation centre for Ukrainian nationals" according to connemarathon Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/connemarathon/

So expect changes for the start of the Ultra and the finish line for all races.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I have a marathon distance to sell. I'll cover the transfer costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ThePhantomDenis

I ran the full in 2017; the weather was good, I had to take off the base layer half way through as I was getting too warm, I almost stopped for a pint (in Leenane I think it was) as there were people outsie a pub sitting out and enjoying the sun, the beer looked great! God knows what weather we'll end up with this year...

• Advertisement

Getting closer...

Does anyone know of a public swimming pool (or hotel with public access) in Galway open Sunday? I just fancy a swim and a shower after the run before I drive back to Carlow...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Leisureland in Salthill is open to the public, check their website for times and prices

Or grow a pair and swim in the Bay 🤣

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ed......

I'm heading for the Ultra now aswell, bit of a last minute decision. It's been 5 years since I last did it but love running around connemara. After a bit of back and fort with the coach I've still no idea of a plan yet😂. Go hard and hang on, possibly get passed out but gain from pushing through the pain. Or run a little more Conservative try and nail the last 1/3 and pick some people off. Weather is definitely a factor around the micro climate there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Havelock12

Are any of you ultra runners collecting race numbers? I stupidly didn't go for postage when I signed up in 2020 and only realised now most people have received theirs and I haven't. I live way north of the course and Galway... if there's any chance anyone would able to pick mine up too and meet at the pre-race briefing it would be so helpful.

Weather watching has started. I know there's very little point to it, but I can't resist.

At the moment it looks like an easterly wind of 20 kph, mild of 10C and likely dry. The wind is key as usual. With an easterly, the descent to Lennane may not be as pleasant as it should but it could be worse. If it could veer a little to the North it would be better. Some sites are indeed indicating North East winds which would be good.

With a Low over France, the forecasts should be pretty steady...

Gonna be a scorcher guys, don't forget your hydration and electrolytes today and tomorrow.

Windy enough though.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Rightio.

Did the half today. That wasn't easy.

Delighted I did it though.

Did ultra Yesterday, my god that was tough. Was struggling by the first 13. God only knows how I managed to finish it. That weather was mental. Down to a t shirt after the first few miles.

and hell of the west !!!! Like climbing a 3 mile stairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

That was really really tough going yesterday. The heat was one thing but I thought the wind was a killer. Just sapped the energy. No respite anywhere. It is a beast of a course.

Well Done to one and all. Massive respect to any runner who finished but especially the Ultra running lunatics on that course.

Advertisement