Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

not really too worried about the result. A lazy tackle from a tired aiden cost us the draw. neither team played very well. however, and correct me if i am wrong, if we want to win the league, we will have to play kerry again. and if we want to win Sam, we will likely have to beat them again. 2-1 against kerry in the one year is okay with me. Mayos shot selection will need some more work, unusual to see paddy durcan so far off the mark, so i think next weeks training should involve reminding players where the high accuracy range is on the pitch. Diarmuid o'C had an uncharacteristic shot saved, which would have sealed the deal for us too, so all in, not too bad.

oh, just to add, Jordan Flynn had a few daft shots too, but his midfielding action was both excellent and terrible. again coaching on shot selection will help.

Mattie Ruane showed some savage displays of skill throughout the game, getting an immense equaliers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

You can definitely put a positive or negative spin on the game.

On the one hand, it was a close contest we could and should have got something from. Never let the Kerry forward line get a big run on us, very encouraging performances in midfield and Ryan/Fergal did well up front.

On the other hand, it reminded me of the All Ireland final last year. 2 big goal chances missed while Kerry finished their only opportunity. Not really sure there's any quick fix for that either apart from Jason/Cillian suddenly returning at top form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I'd be in agreement with that. Carney is the lad from Kilmeena and I think it's a lot to expect him and Orme to partner R O'D in to a very potent forward line. I'd agree the absence of Conroy is a massive blow to our efforts.

I keep hearing about David McBrien but he's not played since the Tuam massacre in the 2020 League game. This ties back to your point about hoping or relying on lads who've not played for a while as not being a great plan. That said - if we had Jason and Cillian available there would be a bit more potency there I think.

Certainly our full back line while we have personnel that can be used there, it's an area of weakness and we're robbing Peter to pay Paul for that line - Keegan being the obvious case in point there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I tend to agree. We don't have the fire power up front to really win an All Ireland this year imo. The loss of Conroy is a sickener because I think he was due a massive year and I'd feel a lot more confident about our chances if he was there. We just lack the personnel and I don't see how it's going to change between now and championship. Cillian won't be right on time imo and Jason Doherty is only back from two serious injuries so I wouldn't be over reliant on him either. Orme is still a year or two off what's required imo. Currently O'Donoghue is carrying the forwards and it won't last.

I'm also not thrilled about what's going on with Oisin Mullin and his positioning. He would have been as well to go to Australia if he's just going to be wasted in the full back line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Disappointing result but I wouldn't have been reading too much into it whatever way it went.

I came away from it thinking that we've probably some more improvement in us than Kerry, if that's a positive.

No home games and we're still in with a great shot of a league final. It would be great to get that experience under some of the belts.

Would agree with others, you feel that Cillian and/or Jason Doc will be needed. Even if we could get them to the stage of impact subs, it would be a serious boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Any word about on Darren McHale? The injury that was niggling him the Knockmore run still have him out of action?

Hasn't gotten name dropped like O'Conner, Coen, Carr or McBrien when James was discussing injuries or at least not that I've heard.

The lack of minutes among options as inside fowards (outside of Ryan and Aidan basically just Towey and Irwin, and even Irwin tends to be used in a deeper role) starting to be a concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Darren is a month away from being back so I'm told, so unlikely he'll be back for championship at that rate. Although hes the type of fella who keeps himself in good shape, it wouldn't take a lot to get him match fit. Its a shame because he has been one of the standout forwards in Mayo for the last couple of years and brings a brain to the forward line that can be missing against tight defences. I think if he was available in the AIF we'd have won.

You're right though hes the forgotten man

I'd disagree on making the league final, ideal scenario for me is we beat Tyrone and then lose to Kildare, miss out on the final. I'd say Armagh are in the same boat though, they've Donegal in the championship the same day as we play Galway

Theres a class article on the 42 that dismantles mayos loss to donegal and tyrone. basically saying that Mayo wont employ a sweeper, and have a poor conversion rate from play (think 36% was bandied) Jim Mc predicted it in advance of the final nearly 10 years ago, and logan/dooher did the same. no amount of darren mchales could compensate for that.... a very interesting read. PS. not to be dismissive, but I wouldnt rate McHale as highly as you seem to. is it a case of the freemans - the longer hes out the better he was?

Underrated passer of the ball, hes up there with Cillian for being able to spot and execute the right pass at the right time, which is what leads to goals. Point shooting could definitely be improved

• Advertisement

if you can locate that article again can you share it?.

On Darren McHale - I think Green&Red has a natural bias towards his own club man which is understandable. I'd rate Darren McHale but I would fear that he may go the same way as a number of other forwards we have had - outstanding on their first few games but then fade off a bit as a results of injuries or whatever. I'd give Fionn McDonagh and James Carr as 2 examples of that, both outstanding in their first few games and now struggling to get a game. That may also be down to the opposition not having any intel on these lads in their first games to be able to counter them, but then getting wise to their strengths and weaknesses.

I'd certainly have Darren in there and for now he'd be ahead of Carney who I also rate quite highly - we're somewhat fortunate with the depth we have but we are short of prolific scorers which Darren is worth a few scores in a game. What I had heard of his injuries last year were fairly serious stuff that would take a good while to get back from but that was rumour and heresay so G&R is closer to the man than I and better able to give an indication as to where he's at.

Obviously I'd be biased but I was a long time coming around to McHale as a county footballer. When I see him playing with guys who make good runs, like Orme and Naughton, I can see how good he is. You saw it in the Connacht final last year, ROD making runs and McHale looking to pick them out, his execution was 100% that day but you could see what he was trying to do

dont ahve teh link, as i read it on the phone. the title is Horanball, the system that transformed mayo into contenders - and why it now needs to change

Team named. Interesting selections.

1. Rob Hennelly – Roibeard O’Hionnaile - Breaffy

2. Lee Keegan – Laoi MacAogáin – Westport

3. David McBrien - Dáithí Mac Briain - Ballaghadereen

4. Donnacha McHugh – Donnacha MacAodh – Castlebar Mitchels

5. Oisín Mullin - Oisín Ó’Maoláin - Kilmaine

6. Aidan O’Shea – Aodhán O’Se – Breaffy

7. Stephen Coen © – Stiofáin O’Cadhain – Hollymount/Carramore

8. Jordan Flynn – Siuirtán Floinn – Crossmolina Deel Rovers

9. Matthew Ruane - Maitiú Ó Ruáin - Breaffy

10. Fionn McDonagh – Fionn MacDonncha – Westport

11. Paul Towey – Pol Tuathaigh– Charlestown Sarsfields

12. Fergal Boland - Fearghal Ó’Beolláin - Aghamore

13. Aiden Orme – Aodhán Orme – Knockmore

14. Jason Doherty - Séasáon Dochartaigh - Burrishoole

15. Ryan O’Donoghue – Riain O’Donnachadh - Beal a Mhuirthead

SUBS:

16. Rory Byrne – Ruairi O Broin – Castlebar Mitchels

17. Brendan Harrison - Breandan Ó Hearchaí - Aghamore

18. Padraig O’Hora – Pádraig O’hOra – Ballina Stephenites

19. Michael Plunkett – Micheal Pluinceid – Ballintubber

20. Rory Brickenden - Ruairí Brickenden - Westport

21. Enda Hession - Éanna Ó hOisín - Garrymore

22. Kevin McLoughlin - Caoimhín MacLochlainn - Knockmore

23. Conor O’ Shea – Conchur O’Se – Breaffy

24. Conor Loftus – Conchur O’Lachtnáin – Crossmolina Deel Rovers

25. Jack Carney - Sean O’Cearnaigh – Kilmeena

26. Darren Coen - Darán Ó Cadhain - Hollymount Carramore

Still no sign of Cillian...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Odd looking team. Padraig O’Hora, Paddy Durcan, Diarmuid O’Connor rested or injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Very odd team selection. We should be focusing on getting closer to a championship team as this year there isn’t much of a gap between league and championship. I just don’t see the point of such experimental team so late in the league .

Diarmuid O'Connor has a hamstring problem I believe. No idea about the other two.

if we are truly going with that team, then it looks like we will be strategically losing the game. for what reason i dont know.

I thought the same when I saw the line up for the Dublin game and was delighted to have been proven wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

That’s such a strange squad

really worried about Cillian now but good to see doc back

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mayodad

I think we'll see a few positional changes on that team at the throw in.

Jason to 11

Towey to 13

Orme to 14.

It also looks like we won't see the runners coming from the half back line except for Oisin. Lee and McHugh could come from deep and leave Aido and S Coen to mind the house.

I'd be interested in how you've come to that conclusion?

Glancing at that team I have literally no idea how we're going to set up strategically this game (Where's Aido playing? Sweeping in front of their inside forwards, anchoring the half back line or pushing on as a midfielder as he normally plays but without us losing a forward? At what times will he vary and float to transition between those roles? Is he taking up a forward or operating as a free man as Tyrone drop a man off for defense? Are we playing 2, 3 or 4 men up inside ourselves? Who's taking up man marking roles? Tyrone don't play a traditional 1-15 setup, not that anyone really does these days, so the numbers on our lads are even more meaningless than normal for this one) if we line out as listed and nothing about it suggests we're planning on losing the game to me.

1, 2, 5, 9, 13 and 15 probably the only names that would be shocked if they didn't make the starting team in the Championship so 9 of the starters that will be going full tilt trying to win or secure their spots. We're not carrying anyone in this game. I'd imagine Donnacha McHugh or David McBrien probably the furthest of those lads from a Championship start (says more about the strength of our defense than their qualities)... and neither of those are too far away at all.

Delighted to see McBrien getting minutes. Fingers crossed it goes well for him after the recovery. A bit of competition for full back and some different physical attributes to put to work there can only help us long term. Doc back too a nice positive. At this stage getting lads through safe is nearly as high priority as performances or results but if we can get all 3 that'd be super.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Jaysus....a slow start to say the least and now ROD down getting treatment.

And the new kit is mildly horrible imho....all that's missing is Genfitt on the front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

We're standing miles off them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Brutal stuff so far, have to question both the selection and the mentality of some of this team. Deegan as usual getting nothing off him.

Very poor so far. Matty, Jordan and Aido probably our best. We keep trying to run it down the middle only to get dispossessed around the D, nearly identical to last September.

Need to make some big changes at half time.

• Advertisement

Have an idea now? Puke football by mayo

Unfortunately there is a serious lack of physicality with a lot of the newer lads. A few of them are a good two years away from what's required imo. They're getting killed on the turnovers which was the same story down in Tralee and will be the same story into championship because that physical strength isn't going to come overnight.

Kevin Mc and Hession on. Hope they can add enough to make up the deficit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Has Doherty touched the ball?

Only a point in it now somehow 👀

Sounds like the wind has picked up since half time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Mayo should be out the gap this half but for some really poor forward play.

• Advertisement

Some really sloppy turnovers in the last 10 mins......Orme and McLoughlin repeat offenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I've seen nothing from Orme over the last few games to suggest he's ready for senior.

I have to agree....he looks to be a tidy footballer alright but lacking in pace and power at the moment

That’s a bit harsh. I think he’s a ahead of a few others at this point, I’d have him ahead of Towey for a start.

Edited by myself as might have been harsh, really poor display by the new starters and will leave it at that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

That was very poor against a team there to be beaten

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Haha, no. Nothing about the selection suggested we were going to see.... THAT.

A real struggle to pull a positive from that showing tonight.

Byrne was solid, though never really tested with a strong press on the kicks. McBrien wasn't awful, though looked raw as to be expected. Carney worked hard coming in. Jordan hit a nice score. Matty had a couple of nice bursts.

McLoughlin as bad as I've ever seen him in the Mayo shirt. Orme looked well off the pace and turned down even trying to look for some scorable opportunities. McHugh, Boland and Towey were so far off the strength and pace needed in the first half it was painful to watch.

Tactics looked way off, execution way off, energy levels off and even the determination and spirit didn't seem to be there. I really hope that was a strategic loss after running the legs off the lads in training as if not it suggests we have some problems. An absolute shocker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I wouldn’t be wasting time or effort trying to make sense of that going by previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭quidel7

Aside from a few players being out of form, Tyrone are great at getting bodies back and crowding out their defence. Allied to a tricky wind I’m not sure it’s the type of game that ever suits a Mayo attack.

Agree with all this, feel sorry for the people who travelled up to Omagh to endure that. Horan has to take a lot of the blame for this one.

This sorta BS is what makes losing acceptable in Mayo. The article from the 42 last week really sums up why we lost today. Tyrone played the EXACT tactics expected, and mayo played to Tyrone's strengths. Even with the sub-optimum team selection, a game strategy tailored to Tyrone would have got us thru with points to spare. Today's, as I previously predicted, was never going to be competitive. I'm not often this critical of the team, but if I paid to get to Healy park I'd be looking for a refund.to put on such a headless performance is an insult to the supporters. And I'm not blaming any players, to me they were told to go out and express themselves, rather than clear duties, attacking strategys, punishing turnovers, defense strategy etc. This BS of getting frees and kicking back to the goalie, removes any advantage gained from being awarded a free. Galway would easily beat that team, as would Roscommon and probably Sligo. I do expect we will bounce back, but to put on a show of that nature undermines the spirit of Mayo football, their followers and sponsors

I don’t think it can be overstated that Tyrone had something to play for last nite and we didn’t. Mayo don’t really want to be in the league final two weeks before they play Galway. Tyrone were desperate for the win and no matter how you prepare mentally the players on both side act this out.

Having said that it’s worrying that we seem to have so little idea up front. Where are the scores going to come from? ROD and our half backs. Diarmuid is hopefully good for a couple. Probably not enough to win an all Ireland. But I suppose there are few counties who could lose two of their starting full forward line and still compete.

In much the same way as I wouldn’t get carried away with the Dublin and Armagh performances I won’t get too down about this game. The team picked suggested what our priorities were. Every pundit on Twitter was commenting that Dublin & Kildare would be annoyed at the Mayo selection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement