Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Grueller

I had a builder laid on for a cubicle house extension, tank and a calf house. For exactly that reason I have cancelled. I will throw an extra 24 cubicles into a shed is already attached to the cubicle house and pump slurry to another tank for a couple of years and see how things settle. I might push on with the calf housing, €25k will go a long way there with the plan I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Theirs a reckoning coming for all of us next winter and into 2023 with what numbers our farms can actually carry in a basically organic type scenario, it's pretty ludicrous lads get tied up in knots about potential quotas and not been able to milk 400 cows and maybe only been let milk 200 cows, I once worked with a 60 year old ozzie who was managing a dairy farm for a a Chinese backed Australian company in Victoria, 10 years previous he had a 1500 acre dairy farm milking 750 cows, a 3 year drought occurred and in the wind up he ended up having to shoot his last 200 cows and the banks took the farm leaving him penniless and without so much as a roof over his head....

He said to me his biggest mistake was thinking he could keep his numbers up and hold out till the drought broke, if he had culled half the herd the first year when they where worth a couple of hundred bucks as canner cows and used this to buy in feed for the remaining cows he would of got through it, we have been so insulated from a event like the above in Ireland lads thought processes at the minute could never fathom a event like this happening here, but if these big herds go on a wing and a prayer reckoning the co-op will find them meal and fertiliser to keep the show going their is going to be some fallout for the Irish dairy industry

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

The lad doing the building here said he's after getting quite but it would traditionally be the quieter time of year. The steel fella rang me the other wondering how I was getting on and that he could have a look at doing it now he's much quieter, couldn't get him on the phone for weeks before Christmas.

They are both expecting a quiet year..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

For anyone that’s thinking of building etc is it easy get quotes and how long are they valid for ….I’m thinking of doing a job on a hay shed ,small extension …Yorkshire boarding sliding doors and set it up for an auto calf feeder …..wouldn’t be a huge spend….but with way inputs are and everything so volatile I’m in 2 minds

In fairness the lad doing the steel gave me a price the end of October and he says he'll honor that if I go ahead now..he is expected 150/ton plus to go on steel in the next couple of months....until ukraine they were expecting 150 off. Doesn't seem to be too hard get a quote now compared to pre Christmas.

Timber supposed to be going up tomorrow according to lad in the hardware.

Concrete and stone seems to be climbing steady enough...I got quoted 97+vat for grant spec concrete last week which is a good price I think.. it's terrifying at the moment building with such uncertainty and prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

I'm picking out bulls for AI these days. Bit of a head wreck of a job. Usually breed for a bit of type, bit of EBI, bit of proven, bit of genomic.

I have a ZSR heifer into the parlour this evening and she is some looker. Teat placement alone is just perfection. Alot to be said for the proven bulls. 90+ reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its a discussion forum, not just a vehicle for lazy group think. The issues Dawg raises are very relevant and directly impact the farming sector in terms of its direction and image despite what some here would like to pretend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Can’t see how you could build anything this year. Price of diesel alone for machinery is enough to make it unviable. We were planning on building a house but hard to see how it’s feasible

Anyone notice samples are being processed very quickly? Posted 10 on Thursday, could permit the calves on Saturday

Build away, sure why not. Keep the young lad interested. Good facilities is never a waste. Builders might be easier to deal with.

• Advertisement

To be fair around here labour was still OK price wise. The materials have destroyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

Gone for a bit of mix this year. Been using a lot of production and type the last few years but going cross crossing high ebi back on those progeny to inject percentages into them.

Anything lacking volume getting

fr4368

fr4573

s3579

fr4513

fr6772

Anything needing solids percentages getting

fr6981

fr7152

fr6853

frfr4547

fr7368

Mainly sexed.

will use a few fr7131, Munster flechviek and fr6268 on repeats etc depending on needs- two technicians coming here so plenty choice. Can get confusing with repeats but we get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

More risk to cash flow in your business this year than long term risk from such an investement. Don't pull the plug just yet. A week will tell a lot with this war...some good vibes re settlement..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Surely it won’t be allowed come to that? I’ve been watching the reaction of countries around Europe and none have come out with statements of support like Ireland has. In fairness the Irish government are the ones culpable for the rapid expansion of dairy so they must carry the can for unforeseen consequences. As it stands they were very quick to announce an aid package for the end of this month…is Irish dairy too big to fail? Probably.

If they where serious whatever package was forthcoming should of been locked in last week, exchequer funding isn't going to solve the problem of sourcing fertilizer and millions of ton of concentrates in a market that's on fire availability wise, you also have the 20k cap on aid a government can give out before having to get any more measures greenlighted by the EU, the clock is ticking on getting crops in and fertilizer for 1st cut silage crops and the lad from Donegal is still fumbling around in his briefcase looking at notes

• Registered Users Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Every year the agriculture budget is underspent. What about the money held back each year from bps for emergencies

Anyone else finding the glanbia test results here very hit and miss? I have no results for 3 of the last 5 collections and the last 2 missed. I am getting a little bit of cell count bother and the scc result would be welcome.

No results for the last 3 collections and still waiting on the 4th one that was taken on Saturday

I had 0 litres for my collection on Saturday

Ye same here no results for 2 of last 5 collections, I also have big reservations about the accuracy of some of the results..like my milk urea going from 22 to 36 from 1 2 day collection to the next, with same meal and silage..no grass

Milk recording results rarely tally with the bulk tank on the days they are done aswell..don't know which is wrong there.

• Advertisement

Take a sample yourself from the milk tank. Leave it out for the driver to take. Should have results next day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Be getting on to the milk managers to sort it

I consider buildings great value compared to machinery. The price is one thing but the builder we've been using for years likes to make you beg for him to do anything. I used him a couple of years in a row so I just can't face going through the whole hassle of him again I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod Note apologies for the slow response to the RP, we don't get notifications of them anymore since the change.

All I'll say is dawg's views on the Irish dairy industry as an outsider are as relevant as anyone else's views on here. Keep it civil. Thanks.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭cosatron

in Dawg we trust. Let the Dawg bark

I heard a teagasc podcast today. They were saying it costs 1650 to keep a cow per year and obviously that will be higher this year. I was getting the impression that she was suggesting that less cows, more milk was the way forward. I'd say she's after been sent on an intensive training course in Moore park or something to convince her to tow the line. 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Calf prices have finally collapsed here. The calf agent collects on a Monday but no sign of him yesterday. Text this morning from him saying that there’s no market…boats must be sailing from Ireland again.

Three lorries gone from here in the last three weeks anyway

Great trade for beef calves, flying out of the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

Maybe time to improve your calf quality or reduce your prices if you can’t compete with imports from Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Do high yielding or high solids suit prices above 40 cent? I meant which type of cow

Advertisement