Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housing Madness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sutrapall

Building more houses has had what effect so far? Increasing prices, every damn year. "Oh they didn't build enough", they cry, to which I point and laugh.

No, the reasons house prices are increasing year on year has NOTHING to do with building more and more. Nothing whatsoever. Pyramid scheme horsehyte.

"If we provide more housing for vulture funds, quangos, tangos, wangos, for people from under every shadow on Earth...surely they'll give up taking it! They'll get tired, or something!" "We've covered every square inch of land on the tiny island with crap apartments at max prices, what we need to do now is build underwater domes, that'll work! Sky cities, cave conversions, treehouses, build build build. Dig up, stupid." Fooking banana logic.

The ultimate fallacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Plenty of space to build without going underwater.

Grassland accounted for 58.4% of total land use in Ireland in 2018, down from 61.0% in 1990. The area under forest increased from 6.8% in 1990 to 10.9% in 2018. Land under settlement was 1.8% in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

Your questions how bad can it get? and Have we all gone f*#king mad?

Nationally the answer to both questions is clearly in the negative.

Those of us who are lucky to have home security, seem to only ask this question when one of our own family are directly effected.

Rents in rural parts of Ireland are obscene, the availability to buy or rent a home at a reasonable price is a national disgrace.

People living here are looking abroad because they can't see a option to live here, so yes it's extremely bad and unless drastic measures taken can only get even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AngeloArgue

I'm all ears now to hear your general idea on solving the housing crisis.

I'd curtail the present practice of government being directly or indirectly in competition with private buyers and renters. When private buyers and renters are bidding against the bottomless pockets of taxpayers money it drives inflation in the sector. This would be deeply unpopular with the general population so is highly unlikely to be adopted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Murph85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

A rent strike is a good way to get even more landlords to exit the market. How does that help?

The govt needs to provide cheap housing to those that need it, and lots of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

hashtag Van Life on YouTube is growing to billions views

The govt has been moving everything away from rural centers for decades. That's also a contributory factor in the problem.

Yes I know urbanization is a global trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

We don't have enough houses. Do you acknowledge that at least?

And if we don't have enough houses, how do you address that problem? You build more houses or you renovate more houses or you do both. Whatever way we get out of this problem, building more houses is certainly part of the solution.

If we stopped building houses in the morning and built none for the next two years, what do you think would happen to house prices and rental prices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Correction rural towns have been depopulating themselves for years. They got better tech requiring less work,so less people,so less shops, less need for anything in a place as there is no point with a dwindling local population. It is ridiculous how some rural folk blame Dublin for everything and don't look at their own part in the demise.

People didn't want to stay. Now things have drastically changed due to more WFH options coming up. I know plenty of people who have no plans to move back to their rural roots but others are.

BTW the government tried to relocate civil servant workers out of Dublin and they failed because not enough people wanted to move. The people have spoken not the government on this subject

Depopulation is the wrong word. With the rapid increase in population, no county is going to have fewer people now than recorded in the last Census (total 4.762 m). But some areas will have greater increases than others.

Irish Times 01 September 2021.

No European country, perhaps no modern country, has experienced a more unique, a more traumatic population trajectory than Ireland. It is the only European country where the population is still lower than it was 170 years ago. Central Statistics Office (CSO) figures, published on Tuesday, put the State’s population in April 2021 at 5.01 million. The last time it was over five million was in 1851 when it was 5.11 million. It is also the only country in Europe where the population is 78 per cent bigger than it was just 60 years ago. In 1961, the population was 2.8 million, an all-time low. If you knew nothing of Ireland’s history, knew nothing of the Famine or the country’s long pattern of emigration or the State’s early and persistent economic failures, you could tell something difficult, something tumultuous had happened just from our demographic footprint.

I'm not rural, never have been. But almost half the people I know outside of cities are forced to come to Dublin for work or services that have been incentivised to move to Dublin or centralised in Dublin through cost cutting. You might call it choice, but people are forced into the cities.

We've taken 4 steps forward and 3 back with WFH after COVID. People are being asked back into the office, and if you have to be in at least 3 days a week, you can't make a permanent move away from the city. Companies now have a get out clause to refuse it.

Decentralisation failed not because people didn't want to move but because it was a shambles. Lots of cases, where they split families between two ends of the country. It has hijacked by local politicians, dragging offices into towns that weren't even on the national development plan. People weren't allowed to go where they wanted and Dublin was the lesser of two evils for them. Offices that need to interact were split up causing lots of travel between locations and often back to Dublin. People who wanted to move couldn't get places, people who didn't want to move were forced to move.

Don't blame the people for a dire plan that was hijacked for parish pump politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gus75

The letter even specifically cited I-RES REIT for this issue because they are Ireland’s largest landlord.

Thanks for the tip, now I know who has been sucking way more than 20% of my income for the last 7 years via Shannon Homes.

And not only that, they are taking our tax money via HAP and sweetdeal council leases at 1900€/month for 1 bedroom "social" apartments.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/ires-reit-sees-revenue-boost-due-to-state-rent-subsidies-1.4795056

Never wanted to be saddled with a big mortgage... Now I am ready to do it for a house at peak bubble because my family does need it and it literally cannot be worse than feeding those leeches with the best part of my earnings.

I just popped in to this discussion to have a read. I'm not getting involved in the arguments and debate on housing.

However I was at work yesterday with a colleague who is from the Czech Republic, she is just back from visiting her parents (in their 70's) last week. They have many friends in Ukraine and Poland and have spoken to them in the last weeks. She said CATAGORICALLY that many many Ukrainians do NOT want to come to Ireland.

1. it is too far from home, especially for older people who just want to escape over the border
    2. they think we are the same as UK and their dislike and resistance to taking emigrants
    3. we are a tiny island on the west of Europe that only speaks English so they will feel even more cut off

I am wondering where the 100k is figure is coming from? Do people have a say in what country they are sent to? I think most of the Ukranians who have already arrived here are joining family..... very few have no connections at all here. Is there a possibility that nowhere near 100K are relocated to Ireland, maybe half that number? Or do these poor people have any say in their futures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Rural towns were gutted by the people from there not living in the town but ribbon developing out from it because they wanted some kind of mcmansion or load of land. Course that would lead to towns and villages dying. Planning laws should be totally restricted to minimum densities.

Dublin has the same problem with not being dense enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

the market is far too volatile but easily be controlled

i feel sorry for those spending 400k on a 20+ year old 3 bed semi D.

buyers need to be more aware of house prices, to make more informed purchases, there needs to be complete traceability of how much a house was on the market not just now but if it was on the market last year or the year before etc

all house listings should have this information easily accessible be it daft or an AE listing.

to avoid price hikes like we are seeing today the government could have easily avoided this through taxation.

similar to rent pressure zones you could apply a threashold for how much more you can sell your house for vs what you paid for it where normal capital gains rules apply. If the house sells above that the a far greater tax is applied making it less attractive for higher bids

There are many Ukrainians in the Tipperary area. Some of their families have already arrived in the area, having fled before the invasion. I’m sure that it’s the same around the country. Accommodation is being sourced in every town where there are already Ukrainians living to support both sides.

I don't see the need for a history of the prices which houses changed hands for. How many of them are changing hands regularly enough for that to be of any use? You have the Property Price Register since 2010, with full accurate information on actual sale prices.

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/

I see a house in our estate that sold for 274k 2 years ago is on the market 420k. 20 year old semi d 3bed. standard furnishings and from the advertised BER rating there doesn’t appear to be retrofits

given the sheer lack of supply and panic for buyers, esp 1st time buyers I think it is helpful to make better informed decisions.

while the register is available I’m talking about complete traceability linked to a house for sale.

on the register, more accessibility and use ability on that site is needed too!

lastly, simply having a price register doesn’t implicitly mean everyone will use it, as silly as it may sound.

• Advertisement

It is not a register that house owners or estate agents or anyone else reports to. It is taken from the Revenue records of stamp duty paid on property sales. And it was set up because of a lack of transparency in house prices, the very thing you complain about.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/property-price-register-published-1.739593

There is a shortage of supply in some areas leading to high prices, not a thing unique to Ireland. Your idea of getting round that by putting a maximum price and very high tax beyond that will just lead to higher prices again. If there are twenty bidders at the maximum price, the seller will take the one who is prepared to go to the point where the selling prices is enough for the seller to pay that tax.

So your plan is to increase the tax the seller has to pay to reduce the price for the purchaser! You do get why this is fundamentally flawed?

All you would do is increase the price to the person buying while taxing people heavily on the sale of their home reducing their mobility of housing. The taxation system would benefit while the citizens would all be paying way more for housing then the currently do.

It sounds like you are a bit clueless as you are unaware of the property price register and how tax works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I take the view that the property price register is part of the reason prices are accelerating. Another law of unintended consequences.

I know for a fact many people where I live are keeping a keen eye every time a house in the are goes up on it. Then if they are selling they add 10% to the asking price than the last one. Estate agents doing exactly the same when they do a valuation too.

You are both a buyer and a renter at the moment anyway. Every time you look at the tax that comes out of your wages just think about how that is buying and renting other peoples houses, while ensuring you wont get one. What a situation?

The idea of taxation is to control rising prices to a above a certain threshold.

The market is still an open market

As some posters have commented, this could still lead to higher costs.

I have full understanding of how the property price register works, I dont think any of my posts suggest that

I think given we have a property price register there should be traceability/metrics of houses sold in the area linked to listed adds.

Not sure why your attacking me for my lack of understanding lol

I am not attacking you I pointing out how incredibly wrong you are.

You do not understand taxation at all. Correct me if I misunderstood you but you said increase tax on those selling. The person who suffers in that situation is the person buying not the seller and would raise house prices not reduce them. At best you get a private owner getting less of the sale price and then if they buy again they are paying more. How does this solve anything? Because if I was going to get less to sell my house in order to move and pay more for the next property just based on tax I wouldn't move. Less people selling and it being punative would reduce supply and therefore increase prices more out side of the extra tax you want.

Your argument is the same as Trumps tariffs on Chinese goods. The consumer pays more not the seller so prices rose but Trump claimed China were suffering which wasn't true.

Again you havnt read my post correctly, you see higher tax and attacked me based on that.

and if you read your first response, you did attack me!

My argument was based on creating a threshold. where within that threshold normal CGT rules apply should someone sell there house.

Outside of that threshold higher taxes apply.

The idea of this is to avoid crazy velocity within the market and hopefully to stabilize it.

I am not saying its right or its wrong

it was simply just a thought.

I still didn't attack you but if you are so easily offended I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry.

Again I don't understand what logic you are applying and repeating the same description doesn't help. Can you actually explain how it works and how what I said was different?

As far as I can tell you are saying the following

Man wants to sell for 100 but you think it should be 80 so tax more on the 20, let's say 50%.

So man wants 100 but to get this he now has to charge more than 100 to get that due to increase in tax

Man has to sell for 120 the buyer just paid an extra 20 and government pocket that. No supply has increased

I guess it will slow down sales but where is the increased housing supply and cheaper prices?

Can you explain how this benefits the country

The point is now that it is transparent the EA can't lie and put 20% on the price So while you have the view that it was better that the public not knowing actual sales prices many others myself included view it as a great step forward by having more information.

This really isn't true. The government are using tax for the welfare of their citizens and other moral and legal obligations from international agreements. Now you can certainly argue it is a bad use of money but what is the real alternative? Do we bring back the work house and separate children from parents etc... that was the previous solution. The same arguments about the poor have been made for centuries here about them being lazy and looking for handouts.

So have you any constructive measures that don't just blame others

• Advertisement

Sounds like you have been asleep for many years. I posted about what the councils were doing a couple of years ago and got told to go to the onspiracy theory threads.

Its people being asleep while this was happening that has us in the irreversible situation now where peoples tax is used to bid against them and drive up the prices for them even more, if ever they do get to buy.

Inexcusable treatment of the tax payer if you ask me.

Why do you think I was asleep? I knew they were buying up homes and not building them. I don't agree with your analysis that this is using tax money against tax payers as it assume everyone is trying to buy a property.

I am asking you what is your solution to the people who need housing provided and subsidised by the state? We tried work houses what are you suggesting now?

You really don't have to repeat yourself just answer the questions put to you about what you are saying.

So they arent using tax payers money against them?

I wonder where the money is coming from then.

I think we will have to agree to disagree here. I think its disgusting what they are doing.

So how much would it cost for a council to build a house to rent?

How much does it cost to buy an already built house?

Not sure there's much difference there, probably better time wise to buy them.

I noticed you can't answer any questions put to you about your ideas.

The government is always using tax payer money against them it just depends where you are.

There is no agree or disagree you aren't engaging and can't seem to explain any of your views. You make a simplistic statement that can be turned every which way you like or anyone else likes. The government is restricting by laws and agencies to stop me raising rent so me as a tax payer is paying for them to be against me. See it is a completely simplistic to be an idiotic statement that isn't just agree or disagree it can be completely dismissed too.

I dont have to be able to solve the housing crisis to be right in what I say.

Noone here can solve the housing crisis. In fact I would go so far as to say its gone too far now and will never be solved and cannot do anything but get worse and worse. They have let it go so far there is no going back.

But one thing i am 100% sure on is that if the people with resources and power arent solving it, us keyboard warriors are not going to be solving it either.

Bottom line is - people are paying for housing (prime housing at that) for other people who are not paying for it, while not being able to afford it for themselves because of the high tax burden and the high rents that government interference has caused. Now add into that equation, inflation and probably even higher taxes to come.

• Advertisement

If someone cannot afford housing then the state will provide for them. If they can then they must pay themselves. That's simple.

I am not asking you to solve the housing solution just to explain your views. You maybe a keyboard warrior but I actually provide accommodation preventing people being homeless.

People are not paying for housing they can't afford themselves. They pay taxes and the government provide services with that money. Here is a question that is not asking for a solution but what you personally feel, do you think we should reduce social services so the conditions are worse for those on it? You know kick them out of housing working people can't afford and put them in some remote cheaper location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

again, we must be truthful to ourselves, as governments stepped back from our property markets, they have become more and more dysfunctional, the abilities of the market to provide this critical need, is nothing but a myth.....

Let's be truthful so. The government didn't provide and fund a lot of what is known as council housing the Jesuits did because they didn't like the housing the state was planning. The state actually purely funding the housing was a short window. Views from the public about being given these properties owned by the state to the residents. This enriched many normal people and very popular with the population. Great for the government too as they couldn't afford to maintain the properties. Ireland was very poor and couldn't afford to maintain let alone build more social housing.

The public decried those on state benefits and still do as can be seen in this thread. The government never stepped back from the property market. They have messed around with it continually. The private market saved tons of property and revamped Dublin with Section 23 and other incentive programs. The government have failed in lots of way but to remove the public will from the equation misses reality.

The government introduced the RPZ due to public pressure. This is now driving landlords out of the market thus reducing the number of rentals. Ask the general public if it was a good idea and most will say it was a good thing oblivious to it making matters worse.

The myth is the government are responsible for everything I never ever heard somebody claim the private market would provide social housing so never a myth to start with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yes the state has also added to the failures of our property markets, but ever since we financialised our markets, placing it into the hands of the fire sectors, it has lead to a hyper inflationary state, with serious supply issues, this has been the outcome everywhere in the world that this approach has been implemented. the only way out of this is to have stronger state interventions, not allowing the fire sectors to dictate and dominate markets, even though these sectors will be required to help provide this critical need, countries such as Singapore are a perfect example of such.....

its also important to remember, the financialised model has been the main approach of our governments, particularly ffg polices, hence our current situation.....

• Advertisement

When you use a term like hyper inflation you better know what you are talking about and not exaggerating if you want to sound like you have a vaguely coherent point. You are not using it correctly and we are nowhere near hyper inflation but Russia's actions may mean we do see hyper inflation so you can learn what it actually means. Food prices are going to shoot up very soon best start gardening

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cackles

Unfortunately the reality is for a lot of us is that if you work your worse off, I'm a full time worker who happens to also be a single parent who has a fairly decent job that pays well so on paper it looks good except I'm reality I've been paying other people's mortgages in North County Dublin for 25 years never been in the position to save for one. So for the fun I totalled up the rent I paid to my last 3 landlords over 20 years and it's in the realm of 300k and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it , on the housing list for 17 years , yes 17 years, have always worked full time which renders you a bit f@#$ed for any support. I also don't have family anywhere near my area. I love my job and just about manage but now the situation is I'm stuck with a creep of a landlord who makes constant excuses just to be here and I feel like I'm living in someone else home if that makes sense and with me and my daughter it's just downright uncomfortable and creepy . And has on occasion let him self in when she was home alone so now I'm in the position of trying to look for somewhere else to rent even and any that are advertised don't even exist on the market and if the do they are extortion rent , it's really really really disheartening and they hardest thing that I feel isn't understood is the safety of a feeling called home ,you never experience that feeling, nor do your children. Over years I've worked two and three jobs too but my best isn't enough. But yet I can easily repay a mortgage by my 20 year rental history just can't save for deposit.

So wherever they decide to go from here god knows but I just have to come to terms with it being this way for me, working my ass off paying other people's mortgages is a very harsh depressing reality but hey ,

We are told to be glad to be able to work 😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Is this agenda 2030 stuff that they are pushing up the price of houses so much? reduce the purchasing power of those pesky normal people over a number of years so to transition them into the everything rented / curated / own nothing / no privacy lifestyle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

they need to make it financially worthwhile for small landlords to stay in the rental market, and to improve the rental stock.

they provide the bulk of rental properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the likes of RPZ were brough in due to pressure from the left wing media and other left wing pressure groups like Peter McVerry trust and that clown Rory Hearne etc , government are far more influenced by a numerically small number of loud voices than the general public , of course the public can indeed be influenced and conditioned by endless demonisation of landlords by the above parties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the left are as interested in punishing landlords as they are increasing supply , they are vehemently opposed to the very idea of renting out property for profit so practical planning goes out the window , if there was more than enough accommodation available countrywide and at " reasonable " cost but none of it was in the form of social housing , the left would still be unhappy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭rightmove

What would the landscape be if the anti LL RPZ and other measures were never brought in?

What would rent be like now?

What would availability be like now?

Seems like the government were like turkeys voting for xmas

• Advertisement
Advertisement