Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That's the onus being on drivers to adjust to enhanced cycle lanes etc that were never there before

It is scary at the start but drivers have to start getting used to them and using/checking them properly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

yeah I know, but that unfortunately means people cycling in them need to get used to drivers getting used to them..

but of course as always - use the road by expecting the unexpected anyway..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We've had cycle lanes albeit unprotected for many years and most drivers still don't check and observe. The behaviour in the video below is normal on my commute. I've resorted to taking the lane along that stretch because some drivers sneak into the bus lane and put the foot right down so that they can get to the junction as soon as possible (and join a queue of traffic).

(language NSFW)

Just out of curiosity, what are people's thoughts on this?

I'm annoyed at myself for allowing it to escalate - I shouldn't have followed him into the car park but for him to keep moving his car knowing that I was there? Am I at fault here?

Thoughts?

Some language is NSFW!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Like you I would have followed up with the driver, though I find once they are in their metal box they think they can do no wrong and hence no reasoning with them. How is your foot btw?

• Advertisement

Foot is fine. My cycling shoe took the weight seemingly without any damage. I remember thinking at teh time that I was going to be brought down. Thankfully it didn't happen.

Before that, he also pinned my tyre down (reckon it was the tyre as the wheel looks fine) but wasn't enough to cause it to blow, thankfully.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I get why you followed him, but personally I wouldn't have bothered.

Fact he pulled out shows he didn't give a crap about you, he wasn't going to care what you said sadly.

I hate to say it - but everything after 18 seconds just didn't need to happen.

You aren't going to convince an ignorant gobshite that they are an ignorant gobshite.

(however - there are times I would have absolutely followed them and I wouldn't have been as polite about it either.. - but doesn't mean it's a good idea..)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I would also be inclined to follow the driver and have it out with them, particularly in the heat of the moment and if they had scared the bejaysus out of me. I'm not sure what it achieves, maybe just feel like a walkover if ignored when someone does something that threatens your safety, very little to be achieved unless the driver is apologetic.

In a parallel universe I would love to take out some retribtion where the perpetrator is a d1ck, and go gangbusters on their car or something - maybe spray it with paint, or smash off a mirror, or break a few windows. But obviously not in reality. Because that would be bad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Officially, just report it, but since you followed him, it will be a case of him arguing you intimidated/threatened him. Unofficially, if he acted like that to many people, I imagine the Gardai would quite rightly be investigating a more serious crime of criminal damage and aggravated assault. You were more restrained than most I imagine. One of these days he will find someone less restrained.

most

• Advertisement

Thing is: right after someone has been caught doing something stupid (mistake or deliberately) is the absolute worst time to teach them a lesson.

It's only ever likely to escalate.

Sometimes I've had luck (calmly) pointing stuff out after, but it's rare.

Better just to be the better road user. Anticipate more, allow for others. The attitude of feeling like "a walkover" is not going to serve you well in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

100% agree with that. And as I have got older I have definitely seen growth in this direction from myself, but still very much a work in progress. It's sometimes very much a "fight" reaction having been threatened, so there can be a fair bit of instinct to battle agains.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

What did he say to you when he had his arm out the window when you first approached him?

In this instance, I'm not sure I would have bothered following him into the car park. I don't think anything will be gained, at best he might offer some form of an apology, but if you're upset enough to follow him, that's unlikely to assuage anything.

In more general terms, I continually surprised when people put themselves in a position for potential confrontation (this isn't a dig at you, Seth)

Having spent a good portion of my life involved in kickboxing, Brazilian jiu-jitsu and MMA, I'm somewhat aware of what's involved or required when an altercation becomes physical, and at that, I steer clear of anything that could result in a row.

Following someone to where they were parking would fall into that category for me, because if I was followed by someone I didn't know, I'd be preparing myself for it to become physical.

Just my two cents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

"Following someone to where they were parking would fall into that category for me, because if I was followed by someone I didn't know, I'd be preparing myself for it to become physical."

This all day every day.

What he did was careless and ignorant; you'll be a busy road user if you spend your time trying to correct all of those that you will encounter.

Before you follow anyone in again it might be worth keeping in mind that there is a very small percentage of people who would have reacted very badly to you approaching them twice, shouting at them with a flashing light near eye height.

Swearing, shouting and following someone into a car park would be behaviours I'd avoid unless I was looking for an escalation; you never know who that other person is or what they are capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The immediate response is the absolute BEST time to teach them a lesson. it's the same with puppy training, or kid's behaviour, or an employee taking the p1ss. Call it out when you see it.

Negative reaction from a driver does not mean that you had no impact. There's a good chance they will think twice the next time, regardless of what macho BS they come out with when confronted.

I find it best to get in front of them when they are stopped or slow moving. Just cost them a minute or two, as they costed you similar. Let them see that being inconsiderate doesn't pay off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be conscious that if it does get physical, wearing cycling shoes is not going to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh it's a tough one. I'd be inclined to follow him too to complain

When he flashed his hazards was he apologising?

It's also a weird one because if it was a frail woman or someone you are physically attracted to (sounds stupid I know) would you still have confronted them in the same way?

I think the best course of action is to move on and do nothing, which is the safest. That guy ain't gonna change. However, I don't blame you.

I agree with a lot of your posts AJR - but (as we have found before!) we have to agree to disagree here.. because we always fundamentally disagree on these matters.

(Although reading between the lines I probably don't train dogs the same way as you do either.. :D)

You (any of us) are not responsible for policing. Two wrongs don't make a right. Arguing with people achieves little (often just makes things worse by enforcing us vs them stereotypes).

I mean - look at Seths example - who won there? No one. Seth got a sore foot for his troubles and the "driver" just doubled down on his attitude (and I would say very unlikely to change behaviour in a positive way. I would even assume that he will absolutely make sure to not respect the next cyclist he comes across).

I don't claim to have a monopoly of wisdom on these things. For me, it's not about 'winning' on the day. It doesn't really matter how it plays on the day.

What matters is whether he will think twice about doing it the next time.

If you do nothing, you can be certain that he's not going to think twice.

If you do something, there is some hope that he'll think twice.

yeah - and thats why I say we park it there - I take your point. There is a greater than zero chance they will reflect on their behaviour. I agree with this part, but I think more likely to behave worse in the future...

It's something Id love to be able to work out how to conduct a study on tbh as the question has came up before a good few times on these forums.

• Advertisement

dunno - ever been beaten around the head with a cleat?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd want some studies into that before going into that thinking. In my experience, they'll mostly get more pissy and dwell on it for longer, and longer and then the next cyclist they meet is even more in danger.

There are some people who like to lecture people for the most minor of transgressions that are no more an inconvenience and not remotely dangerous, careless etc etc. People don't like to feel like they're being condescended against, and might then dwell on it and get angrier. and in future think, dickhead cyclist for everyone they see on a bike.

Often the only person who feels better for it, is the person doing the lecturing. They think they've performed an important civic duty or something, when in reality they likely have done nothing.

You only need to look at the number of drivers with repeat offences on their licences to think the that doing so will have much benefit.

They're already thinking "dickhead cyclist for everyone they see on a bike" so there is little to lose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No they're not, and if that's your assumption, then you might be part of the problem too because you're approaching everything as if the whole world is to blame and you are infallible. Some of them are no doubt. But most are not.

That's my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

There's a lot of assumptions in that post, based on what empirical evidence I'm not sure. I just hope that I don't have any interactions with drivers who've been the recent subject of any of your lessons, because I don't fancy playing the lottery of whether they educate or simply enrage.

I keep saying it here, but the vast majority of drivers would probably be surprised if you stopped them and said they were too close.

If they didn't hit you, they were far enough away, like any inanimate object they might drive past or around.

On top of that, having a random stranger explain to them that they did somthing wrong, and what that was, is not going to engender some sort of come to God moment about cyclist safety. Most people just get defensive.

"Teaching" them by deliberately delaying them, or whatever other tactic? I can't see how anyone thinks that might make people be more considerate.

People are automatically on the defensive if people challenge them about something, particularly if they are unaware they were in the wrong in the first place.

Post edited by cletus on

The reality is, the vast majority of people don't know how to fight, regardless of their footwear

Would you prefer to play the lottery of the quality of driving we regularly see on this thread, from drivers who presumably I haven't yet had the chance to enrage?

Are these drivers going be enraged with every other driver and every other pedestrian, given that I'm as just as likely to have words when in the car (like the taxi driver who was watching social media videos on his dash mounted phone) or when on foot (like the driver who gave me the finger this morning when I signalled that he was blocking the pedestrian crossing section of the junction, that an older lady and myself were about to use)?

100pc I would prefer people to engage less with drivers.

Edit: other than to give thanks for considerate driving etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one of the most effective ways i've found when dealing with motorists in this context, usually more so ones who haven't already gotten their backs up, is to just say 'please don't do that again, you scared the **** out of me', or words to that effect.

you're not being aggressive by saying it, but you're making it clear where you think the fault lies without giving them an explicit statement about where they erred, so there's less to defend themselves with.

and on the occasions where they defend themselves or get annoyed, i just repeat 'please don't do that again' a couple of times and cycle off.

Advertisement