Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large residential development in Blanch Centre

Options
  • 12-03-2022 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

On Friday afternoon the sign for a planning application was put up close to the library in Blanch Centre. The application is for 352 apartments in 6 blocks between 5 and 13 storeys in height. It looks like they will be built over the library and multi storey car parks.

The drawings won't be online for a week or so (FCC Planning have to scan them in).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Yay more traffic sure why not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Where they gonna go to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

This is the bigger issue! Now, most of the apartments are not really designed for families - 176 are studio or 1 bedroom, 155 are 2 bedroom and 21 are 3 bedroom.

For traffic, it would be hoped that some people would get the bus to city centre or maybe cycle if they work in one of the business parks in Ballycoolin or Damastown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Least you're close to bus and even the train isn't that far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ultraviolence

This development sounds like something suited for the inner city, not a suburban area.

The obsession with 1bedroom apartments & high density continues. Very small number of 3 bedrooms. Will this be a build to rent in the end?

I see dublin 15 is the target area for these apartment towers. If only these developers understand that local infrastructre is already at capacity and struggling.

As someone said above, where are they going to school? Schools which have that area in their catchment, are they at capacity? Will these children have to travel all across dublin 15 for a school place? Is the GP available to register over 400 new patients? Will these residents have to travel elsewhere to see a doctor?

They say the bluecarpark is to be upgraded from 4 to 6 stories to 'replace' the parking being removed. Why not add an extra floor or two just to be sure? Will residents be using these spaces? Reading the application it seems to be that residents will be using these spaces as they are only receiving around *110?

13 storey is the highest block.... all of these towers need to be capped at 3/4 stories. Keep 13 stories for the inner city, not the suburbs.

I am sure all of those future residents are going to enjoy the christmas season when the shopping centre is gridlock. Lovely views from the balconies.

I dont understand why do they want to build homes in a shopping centre? Are they going to choose another area of the centre and slowly change it from a shopping district to a residential area? Not understanding this at all. The area is fine as it is, in my opinion.

Overall, not a fan of this.

• Advertisement

It all seems a bit much to me, considering the other high rise apartments going in over a t St. Mochtas too (all rentals, no owner occupy).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Good to see more infill on this underdeveloped site.

A huge shortage of every type of accommodation in the area and the additional capacity will be snapped up.

In walking distance of schools, a number of major employers and a future Bus Connects hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Usual playbook here, apply for massive overdevelopment, be granted maybe 60% of the original quantum.

The 13 storey height is no accident, that's the established height of the Crowne Plaza and apartments.

The site may be 'underdeveloped' but the surrounding area certainly isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I agree, though this may be a bit excessive for the current site.

The Blanchardstown Centre will be a BusConnects hub. It is vitally important that more residential accommodation is built within walking distance. The site has plenty of capacity, we also need to turn the Centre more generally from a private car destination to a public transport destination.

In the latter regard, I would be concerned if this particular development interfered with any potential public transport corridor e.g. the old Metro West alignment.

• Advertisement

I believe this site could handle this amount and more. I note that there are plans submitted to build 889 apartments in Dundrum shopping center, in addition to the hundreds that have been already been built there and on sites around it, on a much smaller and more developed site.

If Metro West ever goes ahead it won't be in place until at least 30 years from now. They don't believe that there is sufficient demand for it at the moment - there would have to be at least 15k passengers per direction per hour. More density on this site may contribute towards more infrastructure and facilities being located in the area.

'we also need to turn the Centre more generally from a private car destination to a public transport destination'.

Blanchardstown SC has, is and will always be a public transport destination. When was the shopping centre not a public transport destination? Buses have always served it.

Its not either or. Public transport and all other modes of transport can continue using the shopping centre, as it always has been the case. Even with the proposed interchange, the shopping centre caters to all modes. Its not turning from 'private vehicles' to buses.

Those buses that begin at the interchange will be travelling to other residential areas as well. They are not just serving those proposed apartment blocks. I dont think an interchange should be the reason why a 13 storey block should get the green light. Public transport can be supported without it.

The Metro West route is along Blanchardstown Road South and out over Snugborough Road bridge. I cannot remember whether it went in front of the library or along where the buses terminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I completely disagree.

High density development at public transport nodes is a no-brainer and should be first option.

Whether or not the particular development is suitable is a different question, but I haven't seen the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I think this is exactly the type of development needed for Dublin. High density with loads of amenities within walking/cycling distance and good public transport links to city centre.

If the architecture is done right and produces spacious/comfortable units, rather than eeking out as many as possible, it could be a very desirable place to live.

Spacious/comfortable units - this is the key. I read that regulations allow BTR (Build to Rent) apartments to be smaller than normal and allow for communal spaces within the complex. This is not good practice for building a community.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Agreed.

We don't need to repeat the mistakes made with apartment developments of the past.

Space is not just a luxury, it's a necessity. If we are building up (which I think we should) we should give ample sq footage to all units. If we build shoeboxes they will quickly become short term rental solutions. Transient populations and no sense of community.

I agree with a lot of your points there, but I think there's a need for every type of accommodation.

Look at the mess that was caused when bedsits were banned a few years ago. Someone took a notion that they were bad when many people needed and wanted that type of accommodation. Many would argue that it added real fuel to the accommodation crisis.

Many people also need short and medium term rental solutions. At the moment there's just 4 x 1 bed properties, and 15 x 2 beds, available to rent anywhere in Dublin 15 for example. This site has the capacity to address some of those supply gaps, which could free up capacity in potential family homes in the areas nearby.

The planning application details are online but no documents available yet.

https://planning.agileapplications.ie/fingal/application-details/91856

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

Documents are up.

Image shown I believe also shows the planned Blue Mall extension.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If I am looking at that correctly, they are planning on building on the entire car park next to the library?

Yes, there will be an underground car park there and they will have green areas and courtyards within the car park area between the buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

page 2 of planning document.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Should've spent a few minutes to find a local Irish traffic congestion. Poor effort hence 1/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Few places as dense as D15 in Dublin now, lots of supply coming/planned with Ashtown, developments like this etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

We are multi cultural now. So our traffic gridlock works exactly the same as everywhere else.

Development has been Granted Permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Good.

Will be interesting to see if any third party appeals come in against it and why they might.

The Shopping Centre operators will be licking their lips, 1,000 new punters living 50 metres away.

More city centre type apartments being planned. LRD0001/S3 https://planning.agileapplications.ie/fingal/application-details/93657

Screenshot below of the proposed development at blakestown 'roundabout'.

Tallest block = 16 stories according to application.

971 apartments in this scheme including other non residential uses... seems to be apart of a larger development of the entire shopping. centre. Future goal is to increase population of shopping centre to 8,000-12500 in different phases. I guess this is phase2?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Oh my God, they will tower over the houses and apartments on the other side of the road.

Advertisement