Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I think he does care what people thinks. He wants to be seen as a strong leader. His military prowess and lack of intelligence on Ukraine has made him look weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Noticed this post shortly after i threw up my crazy long one - lol

I mean the quoted piece - words to the effect - we are 100% impartial, and the US is lying - in other news a beautiful sunny day in Beijing with only 90% cloud cover and 80% precipitation -

as to a willingness to assist - could be a number of things

The above would be one thing. I would add that while feeding the Russian army is 'helpful' to Moscow, announcing that Russia IS UNABLE to feed its own army - is not helpful to the Kremlin- so certainly watch this space - were it my choice, i would not condemn the above. Yes it assists the Russians - But feeding them will perhaps limit the average Russians need to 'help himself' in the Ukraine. Also we dont want to have the western world hoping that the Russian army starves to death. That perhaps it goes home for dinner - yes i would endorse this!

I would be more concerned if i awake to find a squadron of the planes below circling Kiev - that would be the type of Chinese support that the west should deter

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think all the above are fairly obvious for the most part.

But what is his suggested solution , what should have been done differently?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Ukraine can "win" militarily but what they can do is make "victory" for Russia simply not worth the cost to them, with the sanctions playing a pretty big role there too.

Had Ukraine done nothing and largely just allowed Russia to roll in , then Putin would have been further emboldened and would have looked to have another go at Georgia and places like Transnistria etc.

Equally , I don't think that the Sanctions etc. would have been anything like as all encompassing as they have been.

Ukraine are doing a brilliant job of it. It has become so costly that Putin had to go to Assad and ask for help. China too if the information is correct. He must be worried about the body bag optics at home that he had to request assistance rather than put more Russians into the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Field east

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Your comment about agency strikes a chord, and is increasingly frustrating me when we get these kinds of mouthpieces, spouting off about what is or isn't happening, often lensed through clear pro (or ambivalent at best) Russian biases. This semi-constant, utterly patronising narrative that somehow the Ukranianias are hapless pawns and - to use the perfect word you use here - lack any agency of their own. Here comes "The West", headed by Big Bad America, interfering and tinkering with Ukraianian politics, with the locals unaware or simply complacent. Shur what else was Puting going to do?

It is, to be blunt, utter and complete bollicks of the highest degree.

Ukraine is being invaded. Ukrainians are defending their homeland from existential ruin, and trying to parse some kind of tangential victim-blaming can fúck right off and should take a bench. There'll be time to discuss influence within Ukraine when ... you know, we are sure Ukraine still exists as a viable entity.

Very easy for an Indian General, whose country has the bloody Himalayas as natural guardrails from Chinese invasion - while possessing nuclear weapons itself - to wax lyrical about the evils of "The West" and puny Ukraine's best moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Didnt they say a while ago Russia would be bankrupt in "2 more weeks"?

How many more days are left at this stage then, they must be about to capitulate by now surely

Stingers, javelins etc are indeed highly effective. I described them as Western toys not to diminish their capability but to convey how they are fancy high-tech pieces of equipment. You don't win a war with singular pieces of equipment, certainly not this war.

These weapons are not accomplishing any wider military objectives for the Ukrainians. They accomplish narrow objectives. They are trapped in cities, and every now and then someone pops out and takes out a tank or helicopter. Great, that's morale boosting. But it does not turn the tide, the Russian's keep coming.

Moreover you are falling prey to the echo chamber I spoke about. Talking about how these weapons and Bayraktar's are having a "great difference". They're not. You are watching one-sided propaganda videos of Ukrainian successes. It's like watching a soccer match where the camera is fixed on one goal. you are seeing half the picture. The Ukrainians are getting hammered, they have been all along. Taking out the odd vehicles here and there will not win the war for them. Their ability to resupply is limited. Their mobility is limited, if they get a shipment of new javelins they cannot get them where they are needed.

Wasn’t the invasion meant to be over in 3 days?

Btw, who is ‘they’?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

"Allegedly" is not a guarantee. Not sure many believe the NATO bull reason for invading and given the best you can give to it is allegedly then I am not sure eastern European countries can count on it to stay safe.

The west would need guarantees Russia won't invade again.

• Advertisement

The stingers and Javelins could be considered 'Denial' rather than 'Control' weapons. Taking the stingers as an example. They cannot allow Ukraine to take full control over their airspace - they can however prevent Russia from doing so. Same with other weapons being sent. Ukraine seeks to deny Russia from attaining its strategic goals. Denial weapons are perfect to accomplish this

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Of course he does, he seems to be quiet popular in these parts the CIA sponsored Echo chamber , preventing the dezazification of Ukraine and further afield ,

Explains some of the makey uppy claims being made in defense of the führer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Field east

Any chance the embedded reporters ; camera/video section of the Russian army put up on boards their side of the story then.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@timmyntc wrote:

There seems to be huge amount of revisionism or rose tinted glasses here post-invasion, trying to colour Ukraine as a paragon of human rights and democracy when it was a bastion of corruption, and widely accepted as same.

This has been a Russian propaganda piece now for these 3 weeks. Not a single person has argued that Ukraine was a paragon of virtue. Yet this strawman is constructed - "Why are you so concerned about Ukraine, don't you know it was a really corrupt country?"

Like I say, Russian propaganda. To imply that because it was corrupt it is therefore less legitimate as a country and other, less corrupt countries, are hypocrites for defending it.

Ukraine's level of corruption is immaterial. The existence of a tiny neo-nazi cohort, is irrelevant. The fact that some regions have self-declared autonomy, is irrelevant.

Ukraine is an internationally-recognised nation with a sovereign government which has been invaded without provocation by another nation, who is systematically attacking civilian populations and engaging in war crimes.

Everything else is irrelevant.

There sliding towards defaulted fairly rapidly and they are currently trying to claim leased civilian aircraft aka airliner as sovereign property of Russia , which will do permanent and long lasting damage to themselves when it comes to civil aviation

Remind me which side is begging every day for a NATO no-fly zone? Russia is flying wherever and whenever they want. They are flying 200 sorties a day. They are taking losses and don't care, that's how they fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The EU is still buying roughly €1 billion worth of Russian fuel sources per day.

Despite the rapid expansion of renewable electricity, the electrification of the transport sector and industry projects favouring different kinds of renewables, the EU is still heavily dependent on fossil fuels. It imports about 90% of the gas and 100% of the uranium it needs for energy production and Russia is its principal supplier. The value of Russia’s energy exports to the EU is, at today’s prices, in the order of €1 billion – per day!

Be a while waiting for the Russian economy to collapse at that rate

• Registered Users Posts: 25,774 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think Putin should have studied Napoleon - 'An army marches on its stomach' and also understand the meaning of a Pyrrhic Victory - 'another victory like that and we are done for!'

He should get a longer table to keep his enemies far from him. He should consider what happened o Anwar Sadat - not a ood outcome for Anwar.

I think you're vastly underestimating just how much it costs to run a country of 150m people and fight a war at the same time. The profit out of that €1bn a day might cover the cost of running your soup kitchens. Most of these things are largely traded on futures anyway. The gas being supplied today was negotiated years ago. The gas to be purchased in five years' time is being negotiated today, and the EU signalling an end to reliance on Russian gas tells the futures market that the only way is down for the value of Russian gas.

• Advertisement

I dont have to remind you of anything. Of course they will continue to ask for a no fly zone. I dont doubt that and never said otherwise.

Russia can fly as many sorties into the Ukraine as they wish. They have NOT established control of Ukrainian Airspace. And they are losing aircraft. If you want to push a numbers based argument. Yes Russia can keep sending planes and 'not care' about the losses. But a numerical argument would have seen this war end nearly 2 weeks ago. It didnt.

Furthermore, Moscow's argument domestically that 'all is going according to plan' is a lie they will NOT be able to maintain indefinitely.

from your post above

These weapons are not accomplishing any wider military objectives for the Ukrainians. I dont think it is speculation to suggest that the primary goal of the Ukraine is to survive. They achieve this by preventing Russia from achieving its goals. And thus far, they have done so.

I posted a kind of hypothetical solution here a few pages back. the OFF RAMP - How long before said ramp is more attractive than continuing to slog it out with an enemy that is armed by the west. And all the while watching as your economy is crucified?

Can the Russians just keep going - YES

Is there a cost to this? YES - getting more expensive hour by hour

At what point does the cost outweigh the goal? we dont know

Unfortunately as pointed out yesterday russia doesn't have an unlimited number of aircraft,the loses are stacking up and so is the cost , they don't have airsuperiority and there conveys are getting hit day after day, in the meantime Ukraine are getting daily deliveries of Anti tank weapons and anti Aircraft weapons and more foreign military arriving to fight,

Russia will be ground down they have Lost the same amount of men vehicles and aircraft as they did in 10 years in Afghanistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,774 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Irish people taking in Ukrainians will be able to claim HAP for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

All options that I'm sure are in the mix. A fundamental problem remains - how does the EU and 'the west' make an agreement along these lines. Knowing that the main player here Russia, can at any stage choose to tear it up, threaten a few nukes and carry on as before? That's the line that Putin has crossed. Who would enforce it? The UN clearly can't and neither can seemingly NATO for fear of conflagration. The only way out of that really is to see the removal of the current controlling regime in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The Russian 200000 strong army has been decimated in 2-3 weeks

That sounds like the war is over

and their tactics and equipment and morale have been shown to be from another century

In that case its a no contest.

Moral is important for the Ukrainian resistance and I understand that. But there is a lot of exaggeration

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Moreover you are falling prey to the echo chamber I spoke about. Talking about how these weapons and Bayraktar's are having a "great difference". They're not. You are watching one-sided propaganda videos of Ukrainian successes. It's like watching a soccer match where the camera is fixed on one goal. you are seeing half the picture. The Ukrainians are getting hammered, they have been all along. Taking out the odd vehicles here and there will not win the war for them. Their ability to resupply is limited. Their mobility is limited, if they get a shipment of new javelins they cannot get them where they are needed.

1. The Bayraktars, stingers, javelins, NLAWs and other equipment that has been funneled to the Ukrainians from the West really are making a great difference. If it weren't for them it's highly likely that the Russians really would have been able to steam roll the Ukrainian defenses in the manner that they originally expect to. The Javelin alone is an incredible weapon. It's got an official range of 2.5km but has taken out tanks from a distance of 4km away. A week ago it had been used to take out 285 tanks out of 300 fired (a kill-rate of 95%) in this conflict. They basically completely neuralize tanks as an offensive weapon and of course can be used to take out all sorts of other armoured vehicles. I would absolutely hate to be a Russian tank operator in this war with this weapon in the enemy hands.
    2. "getting hammered, they have been all along" is highly subjective. We're nearly 3 weeks in to a conflict and the Russians have full control of only one major city. Yes they have steadily gained territory but they have paid for that with heavy losses - safe to say they've already had more troops killed then the USA had on the 30 years that they spent in Afghanistan and Iraq combined this century. Given the massive disparity in resources prior to this conflict I think any military analyst would say that the Ukrainians are more than holding their own. The big question is - can the Russians continue to throw forces at this at the rate at which they have been all along? When it comes to ground forces that's a very big if.

As for being in the western bubble - what is the alternative? Yes there is certainly a pro-Ukrainian slant on news, especially from Ukrainians who report in English but there simply is no credible reporting coming from the Russian side - they're not even calling it a war and are saying that the Ukrainians are responsible for the destruction of their own buildings. I'd actually go mad if I tried to get half of the news from their end.

Its a valid question - here is my opinion FYI

The key component in my hypothetical would be a joint guarantee from both Blocs (by blocs i mean the Russian/Russo-Aligned, and NATO/The-West)

The basic idea would be that Ukraine become a neutral armed country, unaligned to either NATO or Russia. Both agree to this. The UN could (assuming Russian agreement) accept responsibility to oversee this treaty (assume if we get this far that Russia has tacitly accepted, and agreed to Mutually Backed Neutrality)

Like i stated the pressure and the compromise need not be mutually exclusive - the pressure CAN LEAD TO, the compromise -

What Russia Gets:

• NON NATO aligned Ukraine
    • No NATO forces in Ukraine
    • An Internationally backed and observed agreement that the above status WILL NEVER CHANGE - #
    • If it DID CHANGE, Russia 'Retain the right to intervene... etc'
    • The wests 'Back door into Russia is locked from the inside'

What the West/Ukraine Gets

• Ukraine can join EU so-long-as they refrain from joining any possible military arm of said Union
    • Ukraine is Armed But Neutral - its Sovereignty is FACTUALLY RECOGNIZED by both sides - under UN observation if necessary
    • Both Blocs GUARANTEE this situation as status quo DeJure/DeFacto Sovereign Neutrality
    • Should Russia 'Intervene' outside of agreed status (should this war 'happen again') NATO no longer restrained from Intervening.
    • The Russian's 'Back door into Europe is locked from the outside'

You can add the possible territorial compromises i mentioned (or some agreed compromise) as the sweetener for Russia. Allow (with prejudice if you wish) Russia to march back to Moscow and assure its population that 'They have won' - World steps back from brink. Sanctions drastically reduced against Russia, albeit with a warning. We are watching and will hold you to this treaty.

But the basic idea is both get something from this kind of agreement

(If during the retreat Putin gets 'accidentally' run over by a T72 tank - very unfortunate, accidents happen, )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

So at what date does “relevance” start in terms of the conflict? From the date of invasion 24th February?

It seems a strange way to discuss any conflict.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Ukraine could have butchered a million children ten years ago, and it would still be irrelevant. Invading now wouldn't save any lives.

All that matters is whether the reasons for this invasion and the actions being taken by Russia are legitimate and proportionate.

Given that the reason for the invasion is the "removal of Nazis in Kyiv" and Putin's desire to return Ukraine to Russian rule (as he has stated himself), then we know there is no justification for the invasion.

Everything else is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Ukrainian president speaking live to Canadian parliament on BBC NEWS -

More soft power being exercised - Not to be under-estimated

Bravo

Advertisement