Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

The media are sharpening their knives, not ready to let go of their baby yet it seems.

Will we cave to hysteria again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

over the past few days I’ve seen a lot of this crap on twitter and Facebook! I’ll keep asking these people what they did during any flu/winter illness period prior to 2020.

Masks haven’t worked since December, people are getting on with life! Nobody is saying not to wear one it’s all advice! The fact we’ve roughly 20 in icu because of covid out of a population of over 5 million is sweet feck all! The way these people talk is as if the non mask wearers are dirty face licking runts! It’s a snobbish attitude the perpetually scared have towards normal people who are moving on with life. If your scared do what you need to do to keep yourself safe but by fûck don’t lecture me on how I should live my life or anyone else. The other things is they’re blatantly using hospital numbers without giving context for their outrage. Incidental covid is a problem as is hospital infection management has always been crap! We here about it every winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Gusser09

In a morbid way we are probably lucky that the Ukraine is taking of all the headlines at present. Otherwise you'd have Pat Kenny, Scare Byrne etc on screaming for more restrictions to be imposed.

There will always have been some who wanted this thing to go indefinitely.

It's over now. Our ICUs are stable. Rather than trying to impose new restrictions on people who are vaccinated they should focus on imposing vaccines on the people taking up ICU beds and hospital beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I heard a funny one over the weekend. Someone i know ( in his 60’s) went into his local supermarket in a small town he lives in. He didn’t put on a mask. He wasn’t in there 5 mins when another customer approached him and had a rant at him for not wearing his mask.( not sure if they knew each other)

He calmly replied before walking off “ I can understand why you’d want to wear a mask because if i had a face like that so would i” 😆😆

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Probably doesn't take a scientist to see cases will go up after St Patrick's day. People around each other watching the parade or drinking all day in a pub. Its a given. You know yourself.

All apart of living with covid - but I think living with covid also means some restrictions coming back in when cases are too high like masks on buses and shops etc. Cinemas seating people a few feet apart. Not saying this will happen in a month but I do think winter 2022 we will see certain things back.

I do expect moans on here who when that happens.

• Advertisement

I wonder what would make the government choose that route next winter? Our infections are at an all time high currently and there’s no talk of sitting people apart in the cinema. Restrictions were lifted in January when cases were rampant.

It's just an example. Cases will go up and down. Certain restrictions will be back. Then gone again. To me thats what living with covid is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

If we return to covid passes, a large majority of the Ukrainian refugees won't be able to access things as most of them are not vaccinated.

So I can't see a return to vaccine certs.

But why would they decide to bring back certain restrictions if they haven’t already? With vaccination and natural immunity i think we’ll be able to live with it as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I think the issue is that some restrictions won't have any meaningful impact, but it will damage livelihoods and just inconvenience people.

• Advertisement

Government have to be seen as doing something. In a example of say 10,000 cases a day they'll bring masks back. Stop the spread etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So a doctor said more people are dying from flu than Covid.

Tell me the logic in bringing back in restrictions for Covid??

Cases are well in excess of 10k, i would estimate 20-30k at the moment would be the true reality imo. There’s a lot less testing these days. I know of 9 people who got it last week and they never submitted their results.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You get yourself banned from one thread so go and find another to troll

Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think if they want to bring back masks then there needs to be good evidence to suggest they actually work. Not anecdotal nonsense. Thank god NPHET aren't anymore too.

A lot of people are catching Covid but the vast majority aren't really affected by it. We need to hunker down and live with it. In truth I think the people who are being impacted by this would probably be impacted the same or to a larger degree by the Flu.

If it's the unvaccinated filling up hospital then action should be taken at that cohort. But leave the rest of us alone., We suffered greatly for two years.

Masks in shops are idiotic! I’ve seen work colleagues wear them and some local customers and then at the weekend in the pub mask off no bother back to 2019! The mask boy has sailed!

Honestly I’m gone beyond testing! Did it last week just to be sure, I didn’t have it and it’s the last time I’ll test! A bit of a cold or cough isn’t going to stop me living or working

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Decided to test myself this morning and just feeling groggy. Nearly 2 years I got away with it. Positive this morning. So much for my "Genetically protected" theory! :D

You know, just because you think they are dumb, some others will still want to wear them. That's perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

Is anyone actually calling for bringing back restrictions outside of a few fanatics on twitter? Covid with the Omicron variant and our high levels of vaccination is now no worse than a bad cold. At least half the people in hospital with it are there for other reasons.

• Advertisement

China must not have got the memo, mass lockdowns again. Or they know it's not a problem and are flexing their authority on their people to keep them conditioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭Allinall

I haven't heard anyone of note calling for restrictions.

However, the cranks here are hoping that someone does, so they can become crankier. They just can't let the crankiness go.

That seems to be it alright. I see certain posters still swiping at imaginary enemies and injustices.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭glitterIsland

I am nearly in the same boat. Escaped covid from the start. I have a close contact now positive. It's nerve wrecking. Currently I have no symptoms and I hope it stays that way. Also testing negative on home antigen tests. I am a whimp when it comes to sickness even if it's something like a head cold. A headcold can be sickening and quite draining and exhausting too.

I am vaccinated as is my close contact. I am eating healthy with some added supplements. I have increased the holistic measures that I usually adopt when I have a cold too like I am adding ginger to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It's a problem for them with close to zero immunity due to the strict measures. They either have to continue with them, with diminishing returns, or go the famous "let it rip" route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I hope I don’t have a similar result to you. I’m heading to the states on holiday this day next week. Gotta get a PCR done on the money for US emigration. For the 1st time in 2 years I’m actually nervous of contracting covid but not for health reasons…. Just got to have a negative or goodbye holiday in the sun .

The Indo do have an op-Ed today calling for masks to be worn more. Not quite wanting them mandatory, but calling for people to exercise judgement by wearing them, all the same.

Op-Ed not attributed to anyone, interestingly enough. You can kind of see the irritation bubbling under the lines in the media, some fear mongering headlines recently and a couple of scare articles on the famous ‘Deltacron’. It’s obviously still generating enough clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That seems to be only about her own concerns. That said some people do remain very worried about it and can only read hospital numbers as a sign of where we are. I think that is a real challenge for the HSE to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Lots of people didn't get vaccinated here and only 80,000 out of 400,000 youngsters have taken the vaccine. It's those kind of stats that will eventually force us back into restrictions, as the hospitals won't be able to cope.

It looks like icu won't be the problem, just the normal hospital covid cases which will get too numerous to handle for our health service.

By the way, you only get admitted to hospital if you are very ill. Just in case people think just because your not in ICU you're not too bad!

Really hope I'm wrong here of course. If all those vaccine sceptics played their part things would be looking a lot more optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭thebronze14

If no youngsters had the vaccine we wouldn't end up in restrictions...They were never the ones being hospitalised.

Advertisement