Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The definition by the Red Cross is pretty clear, do you have a better one?

No matter how you cut it Ireland in this conflict is not Neutral given the definition of the word itself. In fact, I would go on to argue that Ireland is not really Neutral at all, but a pretend Neutral country if one wants semantics.

A neutral country wouldn't allow American planes to refuel at Shannon.

A neutral country wouldn't allow the RAF to patrol its airspace.

A neutral country wouldn't deploy military personnel to Afghanistan.

To be really semantic about it, a neutral country wouldn't be a member of the EU and be a party to common defence policy, especially TEU Article 42.7

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Consolidated_version_of_the_Treaty_on_European_Union/Title_V:_General_Provisions_on_the_Union%27s_External_Action_Service_and_Specific_Provisions_on_the_Common_Foreign_and_Security_Policy#SECTION_2:_PROVISIONS_ON_THE_COMMON_SECURITY_AND_DEFENCE_POLICY

Yes, I was thinking about this myself. Ireland could well be an Off-Shore Wind super power, supply much of the EU with clean energy. There will be tens of billions worth of infrastructure out at sea, easy pickings for any small force. Some people think that we can defend such vital infrastructure with some fishing boats. How foolish they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yes, the power swap has flagrantly ignored our neutrality when it suits them.

Article 5 has never even been tested in reality, so we've no actual way of knowing if NATO would risk ww3 to save a tiny nation until it actually happens.

Article 5 was enacted after 9/11

The rest of your post is entertaining but a mad ramble.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Could defend it better with some fishing boats than you could with an aircraft carrier and squadron of jets.

• Advertisement

No we shouldn't join NATO. NATO is dead. Has been for years.

NATO is dead?

Is that why Sweden and Finland are looking to sign up and countries like Poland, Romania, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are thanking their lucky stars every night that they signed up, seeing what's happening to cities in Ukraine?

NATO is very very much alive and ironically stronger than ever, which shows us that there is merit in a Security Pact.

Some of the armchair commentary here by the usual crowd is god awful naive and wrong.

Well if it were up to the populists, Ireland wouldn't be in the EU. But I guess some want to revise that history, eh?

OK, I know this is tongue in cheek, but it's a) a ridiculous point to make as no one is suggesting Ireland go out and buy/build an aircraft carrier and b) an aircraft carrier can 1000000% be better at defending a body of water and land than a few fishing boats.

At least argue in good faith.

Ireland voted to join the EEC mark, which became the EU.

You finding that hard to accept?

Of course not.

I wonder how the party you pretended never to vote for feels about it now, even though they have been against every EU treaty for decades?

• Advertisement

I wonder how your party feels about SSM or women's rights mark? Have they evolved or are they still conservative, religiously bigoted, sexist chauvanists?

Ah, and here goes the whataboutism..... you can simply never stand over your own party, can you. Says it all.

Anyway, this is about Ireland and NATO and neutrality. Not SSM or whatever you are having yourself father, so do stop trying to muddy the waters or you know the usual will happen to yourself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But the aircraft carrier can't do anything useful near the wind turbines. All they will do is launch some small boats and a couple of marines whilst the carrier has to park up miles away and the planes observe from altitude.

It's the small scale forces that would be useful, the big boats are just for show. No reason why Ireland can't upgrade those kind of forces though which would be useful for things like protecting fishing grounds, smuggling and other such things that are actually a threat. A large invasion force isn't going to be heading over to take out any energy windmills. They would get taken out by someone hacking the network from a basement somewhere, or some individual person trying to blow one up. Not by Russia sending a fleet over.

Absolutely whatabout.

Political party's evolve mark.

I just demonstrated that to you. I could go back and pick comment from FG and ascribe them to their current thinking, but I wouldn't, I am not that desperate for a point.

If you believe the current SF party are anti-the EU then prove it in the here and now and quit the nonsense.

Yes, because an aircraft carrier always acts alone and never has any support vessels, radar, sonar, or even have the ability to launch helicopters or surveillance aircraft to see such an attack coming!?

Come off it. One does not simply sneak up on an aircraft carrier or a battle group containing an aircraft carrier. And this is not even talking about the ability to use satellites or drones.

And that is essentially the point. The kind of forces that Ireland should have are very small scale. It doesn't need to be in NATO, and joining would just make it more of a target. Small scale forces to deal with the actual things that are likely to be issues, and don't worry about the chances of Russia invading as geography of being an island and being the wrong side of Europe are far better defenses against such an invasion... And that is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Nope, teacher says mark must try harder!

Article 5 was never enacted against any other nation - and certainly not against a nation with the ability to cause global nuclear war. It was used as an excuse to go into a poor part of the middle east, and kill millions of innocent people in the name of a "war against terror". As far as I'm aware, there is no nation called "terror".

We still have no idea if NATO would jump to the defense of a small nation, if that defense could potentially cause ww3 / nuclear war. NATO much prefers to pick fights with enemies that have very little ability to fight back.

Historically, Ireland struggled to co-opt any other large nations to help us break free from under the boot of British colonialism. We did try, but failed to gain any strong military commitment from anyone. It's not hard to understand why tbh, as when it comes to a tiny nation such as ours the juice simply isn't worth the squeeze as they say.

We have no real reason to think that dynamic has changed much, particular in the era of nuclear armed superpowers. Until article 5 is fully tested in this regard, we will never know how real that commitment actually is.

We did perfectly fine against one of the most powerful empires in history. NATO military intervention most likely would have made things far worse in our struggle against the Brits. Just look at the mess they've left behind everywhere else they've intervened.

US intervention and military aid in Ukraine, is doing nothing other than turning their beautiful nation into a smoldering pile of rubble. Thanks, but no thanks!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

@markodaly

Belligerence in a war or joining a military alliance (thereby commiting to belligerence in a war) ends neutrality, nothing else.

We are, of course, economically, culturally and politically aligned to the West (USA, EU, UK) but we are militarily neutral.

We are a neutral country. Your sophistry doesn't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Sweden and Finland are already in the Partnership for Peace, as is Ireland.

I stand by what I said. I think NATO will break up in a few years with the USA seriously loosening if not cutting completely its ties and getting much closer to its two most dependent allies Britain and Israel.

The main European countries will coalesce further building on existing NATO links to bring about a new Euro-Centric defence alliance. Britain will have nothing to do with that; it is America's willing stooge.

We in Ireland will have a big choice to make. And it won't be pleasant. They are only bad alternatives. And staying out of either alliance may not be an option.

But we have to think beyond NATO. It's coming to the end of its life. And why wouldn't it? It's a military alliance and every military alliance in history is terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Factcheck: Article 5 has only ever been invoked once, following September 11 for the invasion of Afghanistan.

Even God himself couldn't have stopped that Article 5 invocation and if you were over the age of 12 at the time you'll understand why.

The Afghanistan invasion was completely legitimate and necessary - the country was a black hole of violence and extremism, a failed state, and a threat not just to the countries around it, but global security generally.

• Advertisement

Over150,000 dead, Taliban back in power and the poor facing famine...yeh great job NATO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

As far as arguments against Nato membership go, "there is no proof someone will help" is pretty stupid. If you're not in an alliance and are attacked, then it's even more likely no-one will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

At least they actually tried to make a difference and rebuild the country..

If the afghans didn't want to fight for themselves what more could have been done, considering the military investment that went into building the new afghan army ,

Now look where they are back to Soviet times

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You're wasting your time with the recently registered posters

They did what most invasion/colonial/imperial forces did, went in for their own ends and left, leaving a bigger mees behind them. Woo hoo NATO

That party has had a decades-long policy of obstruction and anti-EU and anti-NATO rhetoric. Sure elected members of that party called for NATO to be disbanded not long ago and side with the Russians in an EU vote only a few months ago.

So, yes they are the Irish version of the National Front and UKIP. The truth hurts and all.

US intervention and military aid in Ukraine, is doing nothing other than turning their beautiful nation into a smoldering pile of rubble. Thanks, but no thanks!

Ah, so it the Americans that is at fault for the destruction of Ukrainian cities then, not the Russian missiles or artillery shells?

Sorry, but if you think you can start peddling this nonsense in this thread now, you can go **** right off, seeing as you are banned from the other threads, for peddling this nonsense.

Belligerence in a war or joining a military alliance (thereby commiting to belligerence in a war) ends neutrality, nothing else.

And whose definition is that? Yours?

We are, of course, economically, culturally and politically aligned to the West (USA, EU, UK) but we are militarily neutral.

Even though we let American military planes refuel at Shannon, let the RAF use our airspace and send Irish Defence personnel on NATO missions?

We are a neutral country. Your sophistry doesn't change that.

We pretend we are neutral, but if you look at the facts on the ground, and the treaties we have signed, namely Lisbon, we are not Neutral. We are signed up to Lisbon and PESCO as well.

I don't share the same pessimism about NATO. As I said, it looks stronger than ever but one thing I do agree with is a stronger lead by EU nations, especially Germany.

In other words, we the Irish people may not have much of a choice here. If we want to be fully participating members of the EU we will have to play ball and align ourselves with whatever the EU says when it comes to defence. There will be no more sitting on the fence and taking a free ride.

• Advertisement

FACT CHECK.

It was also a UN mission.

Great job UN!

Advertisement