Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rights of a Legal Personal Representative in an estate without a will - can they take it all?

• 15-03-2022 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Myself and brother signed my sister on as Legal Personal Representative in the estate of my deceased father a year ago (basically just the family home). As siblings, we had a verbal agreement that we'd split the estate equally and she would buy us out of our shares and take ownership of the family home.

Since then, my sister has indicated that she would like to change the split that we are all getting. However, we still need to have a family meeting to talk about this and I'm trying to understand the situation better and my legal standing before sitting down with them.

My question is - after we signed her on as Legal Personal Representative, could my sister have subsequently taken ownership/deeds of the house without any further legal input from the other siblings? I live abroad and have not been asked to sign anything since singing the Legal Personal Representative form a year ago but am starting to wonder if she is already the legal owner of the house. Is this possible? It's been hard to figure this out online.

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PJ2022

Hi,

No your sister as legal personal representative can't simply take ownership of the estate. Her role is merely to administer the estate in accordance with the will or in your case by the rules of intestacy.

Probably best to see what she has in mind in terms of the split, but you will all probably need legal advice and help from a solicitor if she is complicating matters, there's tax implications to consider also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can search the history of the property, there is a small fee. https://www.landdirect.ie/

It is possible that recent transactions won't show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭phildub

If she had the deeds signed over to herself it would be compulsorily registered, if nothing is showing up in the registry of deeds or land registry then she does not have title.

You should be able to the solicitor who assisted you take out the grant to advise you on your options as LPR

It would depend on when it happened, if ever. There has only been universal compulsory registration since 2011. It is not stated by the o/p as to how she acquired an interest in the property, if at all. She may have been a joint owner, inherited under a will or stayed in possession after an intestacy. Whatever happened, the estate as some interest in the house, whether registered or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭phildub

We know from the facts that it's a situation from a year ago and he is worried she has since acquired title, in order to do this she would have been subject to compulsory registration.

Registration is only compulsory for a conveyance or assignment/ grant on sale. There hasn't been a sale oif the property here. What might be happening is that the sister tried to register herself as owner and the Land Registry or the solicitor she engaged objected to registering her as sole owner thus provoking the request for a different split of the estate.

Advertisement