Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You're going to need a battery for it to make any kind of financial sense long terms

The savings are all down to how much you can self consume, batteries help you do that. If you're hoping the feed in tariff will make any money then think again, energy providers will just charge you more for import

I'd suggest looking very closely at your consumption and what can be moved around to either midday when solar is at max or nighttime when energy is cheap

Then you need a battery that can at least carry you from midday to night time, since that's where electricity is going to become most expensive

You can start with a smaller battery and add to it later, might help fit the budget

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 45 barryduffy

I was thinking the solar would offset my daytime use for WFH and new baby on the way. The night meter could pick up the appliances and the car. The only solar provider I got a call back from told me not to let anyone sell me a battery. I'll ask them (if anyone shows up) about the complexity of leaving it battery-ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Bord gais just announced a 27% increase in electricity

Okay so first off, that guy to told you not to get a battery, don't call him back or answer his phone calls, he's at best an idiot and at worst a scam artist

This is a discussion more suited to the Renewables forum, so I suggest heading there for advice

But to get you started, you need to go and do your own calculations around how much energy you're using and how much you can generate. Installers will just try to sell you a standard kit they have with some vague promise of savings

Figure out how many panels you can fit on your roof within the planning guidelines and use a site like below to figure out how much power this will generate

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/

Then it's a question of how much of that generation you can consume. You're correct that the best way is to shift your consumption to when the array is generating power. There's plenty of folks who have done this on solar alone but it takes a lot of planning and effort.

And small babies tend to work on their own schedule and aren't will to wait around until the sun is shining before wanting to be fed or vomiting all over their clothes necessitating a clothes wash and a bath 😩

Batteries make self consumption easier and this maximise your savings, so you'll want to plan to have one in the system at some point

There's a bunch of ways to do this but probably the simplest is to connect the solar panels to an inverter/charger (also called a hybrid inverter) which can also charge the battery. Then you can add the battery on later as the budget allows, but it helps a lot to plan is from the beginning

Another trick you can do with a battery is charge from the grid at night time, ensuring it's got enough to power you through the day even in winter. This could shift most of you remaining consumption to the cheap rates, saving more money. I think that's what landed @unkel over the night rate limit 😁

Final bit of advice, beware of anyone pushing systems that depend on selling power to the grid. There was great excitement about Ireland finally paying people who export power to the grid but the truth is that you can't make money from it. All the providers so far who have published rates have also hiked the prices for buying electricity, so you end up losing money. Self consumption is always best, anything you sell to the grid is either a nice bonus, or a loss if you just end up buying it back at a higher price

It begins 😭

Doesn't say if they'll be increasing the night rate by the same percentage, that would makes the night rate close to 12c/kWh?

I wonder if this will affect the green plans as well? I presume so since it's the most expensive generator determines the prices of energy, so wind farms will be getting a free boost out of the price increases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭John arse

😤Just seen that,what are the new rates i wonder?,at least we got the winter out of them.watch all the other suppliers follow their lead i assume.

Urban nightsaver new rates/22.22c-11c,i think.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

With a 10kwh battery my winter night rate was 1998 ;) ... what a unit here or there on a meter read... esp when i can dump 60 in the car overnight...

Now ive doubled the pack.

I've on the 20c/5.8c fixed until Aug i think.. Will see whos the best for me then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,477 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Typical of BG to make massive hikes just after I lock myself into them for the next 12 months.

Having said that, I am sure all the other providers will follow them too.

Well they did make a big show of not raising prices over winter, so maybe the others won't raise prices by the same amount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭crisco10

Are you still in your cooling off period by any chance? (all be it likely that whoever you jump to will also change their prices soon)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

You're not going to be left on that rate until August, you'll get notified from your supplier that the variable rates are going up but you will just get the contracted discounts (your contract is for the discounts, not the variable rate). But your bill will be going up similar to the Bord Gais increase no matter who you are with.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes he is ;-)

It's the only package in Ireland where your rates are actually fixed for the duration of the contract. The Energia EV package.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,477 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'll be

Just out of my 2 week cool off period.

But look, in the great scheme of things, I may not have saved much by moving as they will just be the 1st of many to increase their prices. I was on a 25% off deal, that offer has just been negated by the news today.

Not a chance - the rises are just too much for the suppliers to swallow. I don't see anything special about the EV offer that somehow locks Energia in. Time will tell!

Yes man, I have just left their plan, until a few days ago I still paid 4.78c / kWh incl VAT for the night rate. Many people on here and in the renewables forum didn't believe me until I showed them screenshots 😁

graemek is on the same fixed rate plan (but he got in a bit later, so not quite the above rates I enjoyed)

Hope you're right but I think the gas rises are too extreme this time for the suppliers to let contracts in place without raising the prices across the board. And once the EU start turning the gas taps off from Russia later in the year this is far from the end of the leccy prices taking a hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Stupid question, with electricity day prices now getting so high is it now worth it getting a battery, charging it on night rate to cover all day time consumption needs? Ie just the battery and whatever you need to connect it and not getting solar at all

The Energia EV rates are fixed, it clearly says so when you sign up and in the confirmation email. Mind the rates are 45% higher than this time last year when I signed up :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

This is the contract small print from the Energia EV tarrif.

The only thing that can go up is the standing charge.

• Advertisement

It could be, depends on how big a battery you need and how good the night rate is

For example if you went on that Energia EV plan then your cost of electricity would be fixed at 6.95c/kWh

There's a few problems however, you're stuck to a 2,000kWh per 2 months limit. Also generally in a PV installation the battery is the most expensive part, generally people seem to install the panels first and add the battery later

There's also the question of where energy prices will go during the payback period. It's possible the war in Ukraine will come to an end soon and sanctions on Russian gas will lift resulting in a drop in gas prices. If that happens your payback period gets worse

Realistically though, I think the age of cheap fossil fuels are at an end, at least for the next 5 year and hopefully by then we'll have enough renewables that we don't need gas anyway

So if you're looking to install Solar anyway at some point, then it's possible installing the battery now could be a good investment

Are those rates correct 20c/5.8c.?,i thought somebody said 24c/6.95c 🤔

It was the rate last April or May, I'm on a similar rate and I signed up in May

The 24c/6.95c rate is the current rate. I'm not sure if that one is fixed for tbr year, I'm guessing it isn't anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

I called enerigia today the EV tariff I was quoted was 24.13c day, 6.95c night (was also given a 20.98/10.07 option) and was told the rates are not fixed. . only the discount, so unless it's changed. I signed up to Bord Gais on Monday and cancelled the switch today, think Energia is a better deal .. for now

Post edited by v10 on

So the rates aren't fixed at all-interesting🤔

They were fixed a year ago, my rates haven't gone up despite Energia increasing prices several times over the past 10 months

For new customers they don't seem to be fixed. I don't think we'll be seeing another fixed rate tariff for a long, long time 😭

Ah at last i was wondering alright,some very conflicting advice on here,thanks👍

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭d0157063

i was told 21.5 - day, 10.94 - night, 24.67 - peak by Energia for smart meters.....and this was after 30% discount (incl manager's discretion) ..for long time existing customer...wonder they have diff rates :)

BG Smart EV 12 months seems cheaper than Energia - though i am not sure if website have prices to reflect 27% recent hike?

Did you shop around EI, SSE, Panda, etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

yeah I was also given rates like that a few weeks ago when I had a smart meter. I had the smart meter removed and replaced with a night saver meter, now I get quoted better rates. The smart meters seem to be a total con. Call your current provider and ask for the meter to be changed, that’s what I did. BGs online rates are still the old rates, the new rates kick in from April.

• Advertisement

Yes, I had a good look at the Energia website just now (at their Electric Car offer) and there is no mention anymore of any fixed rates. I must have made them too poor over the last year, they can no longer afford to offer it 😂

I signed up with SSE airtricity a few days ago, night rate now 9.35c and day rate 18.98c incl. VAT, they were the best rates available on bonkers.ie when I checked

My night rate has gone up by 96% compared to last week 😨

Advertisement