Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched a film called Hello, Love, Goodbye this afternoon. Mistakingly thought it was going to be a fluffy, fun, probably forgettable romcom. Did not expect to be as moved by it as I was.

It's about Joy, a young Filipino woman working as a Domestic Worker in Hong Kong on a 2 year visa. She's a trained nurse and is trying to save enough in that time to get a visa for Canada, while supporting her family back home too. While illegally trying to earn a bit more cash she meets a bar tender, Ethan, who is a bit of a jack the lad, who wants to have a bit of fun with Joy. She's not interested and only has 4 months left before she leaves anyway. The inevitable happens, but there's so much more to it than just being a romance. There's so much going on for Joy with her job, her family, her hopes and dreams, and the film is really about her. The romance is quite cute, I must admit, but as I said, it goes much deeper than that.

The opening was giving Love Actually vibes and for about 5 minutes I thought it was going to be a cheese fest, but stick with it. Definitely worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

It Chapter Two (2019) - Twenty-seven years after their terrifying run-in with Pennywise, the Losers Club get the dreaded call to return to Derry and finish what they started

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 32,609 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This was a disappointment especially as part one was excellent I thought waste of a great cast and it was so long

I see Arcane won big at last night's Annie awards, taking all 9 categories it was nominated in. If anyone missed it when S1 came out last November, it's definitely worth checking out.

The Mitchells vs The Machines also won big on the film side. I didn't love it, but a lot of people did. Definitely a good alternative to the Disney/Pixar releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I'm in a similar situation to that poster. I had presumed that you'd need to have a VPN when watching Turkish netflix similar to watching US netflix? If not then I must change the sub over, if you do then I don't think my parents would manage that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

There is a thread on here regarding the Turkish Netflix and it says you just need a vpn to sign up

Kill Thy Neighbour (2021) Season 1 - Through interviews with law enforcement and victims' families, this series explores chilling cases of neighbors turning on each other in deadly fashion.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It Chapter 2 was terrible, I couldn’t stay interested in it. Chapter 1 was brilliant, it was one of the best movies made that year. Hope same trend doesn’t happen with Dune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭French Toast

Enjoying the latest episodes of Drive to Survive. It greatly plays up the drama, scandals etc. but it does make for good telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just watched Bombardment.

About bombing of Copenhagen at the end of WW11.

Outstanding film, but absolutely heartbreaking.

Even more so when you think of what's going on in Ukraine at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Anyone see the western hell on the border? It’s about Bass Reeves, looks like something like a school play filmed in a backyard. The costumes other than the main characters looked as if they were bought in a toy store and the script left a lot to be desired and like many modern westerns it lacked action.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,788 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The Last Kingdom - Season 5, great show, didn't disappoint.

Catherine Cohen: The Twist…? She's Gorgeous (2022) - In this sparkling cocktail of standup and song, Catherine Cohen serenades about looking for love, the absurdity of marathons and burying someone alive

Adam by Eve: A live in Animation (2022) (Japanese) - Anime, live action and music by cutting-edge artist Eve -- all weave together into this dreamlike sonic experience inspired by the story of Adam and Eve..

Marilyn's Eyes (2022) (Italian) - Food brings together a creative pair at a psychiatric hospital. As they turn a fictional restaurant into reality, they must find a recipe for healing.

Stardust (2007) - To win his true love's heart, wide-eyed Tristan Thorn journeys to a forbidden realm to retrieve a fallen star that has taken human form..

One for the Money (2012) - A divorced, unemployed woman becomes a bounty hunter to make ends meet, with her first big case revolving around a former high school boyfriend..

The Hunt for Red October (1990) - When a Soviet nuclear sub headed toward American waters drops off U.S. scanners, the Yanks and CIA analyst Jack Ryan scramble to respond.

The Hundred-Foot Journey - A chef and his family leave India to open an eatery in the south of France, where they clash with the haughty restaurateur across the street..

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Ooh, LOVE Stardust! Robert de Niro is fab in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Watched the “Adam project” last night. Stupid watchable popcorn movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Why is the sound quality on Netflix so awful? Its turn the volume up to hear dialogue, then immediately turn it down anytime music plays or there is any sort of non-dialogue noise. The mix is horrendous

I don't think that's just a Netflix problem. Happens with nearly everything these days. Stuff on normal TV is the worst, I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

What's even worse is there is a difference between adult & kids programmes.

So we might have to turn volume up to 13 or 14 for ours, but if it's anymore then 10 it's blaring on kids programme(the cartoons are already annoying enough I certainly don't want then any louder+😉)

I use subtitles on everything so I know what they are saying, especially if the dialogue volume is low on certain stuff but I do have crap hearing anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 32,609 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

If anyone is looking for a bit of light fun I would recommend a little Italian rom com show called an astrological guide for broken hearts.

Two seasons most recent one released about a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

There are usually some settings on your TV that will increase the dialogue / lower the background sounds. I changed a setting on my LG and before that a Samsung TV and it made a big difference.

Watched the bombardment earlier, slow going to start with but good tense ending and decent enough overall

Coven Of Sisters

Spanish/Basque language film about a group of young girls who get caught up in a witch trial in 1603. Really claustrophobic and atmospheric, enjoyed it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Taboo

Bad Vegan: Fame. Fraud. Fugitives. (2022) Limited Series - After marrying a mysterious man who claimed he could make her dog immortal, a celebrated vegan restaurateur finds her life veering off the rails.

The Great Robbery of Brazil's Central Bank (2022) Season 1 (Brazilian) - In 2005, thieves tunnel into a Fortaleza, Brazil, bank vault and steal over 160 million reais. This docuseries explores that spectacular, historic heist.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Think i'll give Bad Vegan a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Badly need a good show for myself and the wife to dig into

Is undercover worth a watch ?

Advertisement