Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

Same as every war that was ever fought. Its us minions that need to look at our willingness to put our lives on the line for a nutter back at base facing nothing more dangerous than a trip down the stairs after he rolls out of the silk sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

This is potentially a stupid question. But are all planes required to show up on that. Hardly a stealthy operation if a playstore app can track you. But then again, if they're not tracked how do commercial flights manage to avoid them? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Russia will withdraw from the Council of Europe

After being suspended and before likely been thrown out completely

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Haven't the Ukranians captured a fair few artillery and rocket barrage units. Surely they could be pointed towards the Russian Navy. They have enough firepower to level the city and fair few marines onboard to take it.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You do know there is a difference between a Ukrainian and a Ukrainian citizen ?

Sure we have Irish citizens that have hardly set foot in Ireland and some recent ones that are from God knows where.

Sure isn't Helen going to fire out citizenship to everyone and anyone.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The Yanks and Brits have no issue selling weapons to the Saudis who use them in Yemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Id imagine his security team had a stroke when he decided that

Ukraine really fooked up and didn't develop submarine fleet or even keep old ones ticking over.

They lost one of their last ones in 2014 when Crimea was taken as it was sitting in Sevastopol.

Taiwan who is in similar if not worse long term position is spending fortune developing submarine fleet.

Ukraine has truck launched Neptune anti-ship missiles, but the Russians would have been trying to track them to eliminate them before they got near coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Let's hope the Ukraine forces have everything available pointed at those ships / Landing craft.

If so, I recon not one russian boot will feel sand underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

More drone tech can't get to Ukraine fast enough, this stuff is invaluable for this type of war

• Advertisement

Fair fooks to the Poles.

From the people on the ground welcoming refugees to their prime minister they are showing courage, bravery and empathy.

Not much on the Russian moves towards Odessa, only this for now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

120m excellent, bigger target to hit.

By all accounts the Polish PM Mateusz Morawiecki, Czech PM Petr Fiala and Slovenian PM Janez Jansa have entered Ukraine by train and travelling to Kyiv.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

What Minister of State drew Kyiv in the St Patrick's Day junket lotto?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

I heard that they were going to send Mick Wallace

I'd willingly drive the bus full of our shower to Kyiv myself.

BTW the Ukrainian farmers have shown what they are made of, it is time the fishermen stepped up now. 😁

It's one of the things they're known for. They fund opposition both neatly curated and more "extreme" and they also let everyone know that they do it. It's a perverse society.

Hillary Clinton's response to being banned forever from Russia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I see where Russian troops are living on a diet of potatoes and onions! Now I don't know much about what weaponry the Ukrainians have but if you have 3 or 4 Russians cooped up in a tank and a few of them break wind then that's as good as any stinger missile!

Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦, f**k Russia.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There's an old saw that the winner of a war is the side which makes fewest mistakes. The Russians are proving utterly incompetent, either due to lack of training or morale. Probably both.

That said, whilst Ukraine has been quite good at holding the line, you don't win a war by sitting on the defense, and I've seen very little of the major maneuver units. Ukraine has mechanized brigades of its own and outside of local counter-attacks, I've not seen them being effectively used either. If could be that they're still just whittling down the Russian forces and waiting for an opportune moment, but I have a suspicion that they are being wasted holding the line as well. Defending is all well and good, if you don't mind your cities and soldiers being shelled, but the risk is that eventually the defense will be breached somewhere, at which point things start to go South. Hoping that the Russians decide "OK, after losing all these forces we're going to go home, lesson learned" is a questionable strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'd say that was after a few of his army were looking like downing tools.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

No, it's being done for safety issues. If they want, the pilot can turn off the transponder (Signal beacon), so the only way to find the aircraft is with an air search radar which may not be easy against a stealthed aircraft. You then need to figure out what it is you've found, though at over 50k ft, that shouldn't be too hard.

It's one of the capabilities identified as critical which Ireland lacks. If a pilot turns off the transponder (As the Russians have been known to do over the Atlantic), there's no way for Irish ATC to know they're out there.

Good episode about Roman on Panorama last night if you can get to see it

The way I describe it is thus: I stand in front of you and lie. You know I'm lying. I know you know I'm lying. The conversation just continues. I feel creeped out thinking about the level of cynicism.

I would argue that the Russian "narrative" has become a lack of narrative. There is no truth. 150 years of mass media from various perverse, sadistic, cynical powerkeepers with the threat of the gulag for pointing out the obvious would make anyone switch off. More recently they're known for flooding any discussion at any level with nonsense so that there's literally just too much information and the state themselves want it known that they're doing what they're doing. Kinda an extra little "**** you" to everyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That raises another aspect to all this. The West has ploughed an awful lot of weapons into the country for obvious and great reasons at this time and they need all they can get, but when this is over and Ukraine are rid of the Russian military, that leaves a lot of military grade weaponry in the country and not just assault rifles. Handheld and portable anti tank and anti aircraft weapons for example. And I doubt anything like a definitive inventory is being kept for obvious and practical reasons. If they get into the wrong hands the threat of appalling terrorist atrocities would be a concern.

In the post Soviet era Ukraine was known for illicit arms dealings, so it's pretty likely at least some of those people and networks are still around, and as this drags on and in the aftermath, you will have the scum that always rise in the wake of human disaster who see opportunites to make serious cash. A loyal Ukrainian will see an anti tank weapon as a means to fight Russians, a small percentage will see it as made of cash. At least it's something that requires a major case of the beady eye.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I find this kind of weird

1) Have Russian given guarantees that the transports won't be attacked? Even by error or "error"?

2) Does the Ukrainian President wish his hiding place to be made known?

I imagine Russia really really does not want to draw NATO in, so that transport is probably as safe as houses, but still.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And the comments note, that a particularly orange man isn't...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Irish citizen and journalist Pierre Zakrzewski who has been killed while reporting on the war in Ukraine. Is this Irelands first casualty of this aggression?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement