Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A few years back, two North Korean intelligence officers operating in Ukraine were caught red-handed having broken into a disused Soviet missile factory, stealing critical parts and missile blueprints. Madness when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

"Would not allow" - and how exactly, Mr Biden, will you be able to stop them? who will monitor what goes back and forth between Iran and Russia? will all cargo planes and ships between the two countries be checked?

No, of course not. This is a word salad for domestic consumption. This Iran nuclear deal, which is already dreadful on its own merit, is Russia's sanctions escape route. Despicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

Oh no, you see @Wibbs it is because the fear oráiste is the bestest and the toughest and the bestest president. The Russians quake in their boots when they think of him. They would be too terrified to place sanctions on him. It is because Joe Biden is weak and in bed with the Russians and, and, that they placed sanctions on him. It is not what the MSM want you to believe. None of this would have happened if our greatest and bestest former President didn’t have the election stolen from him

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No guarantees AFAIK, but they will not want to deliberately attack them. That will only increase the outrage and could be another move towards NATO getting involved. It has been suggested the 3 of them stick around as that becomes a bit of a human shield for Zelenskyy

Equally Zelenskyy is going to be regularly moving around to minimise the chance of detection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

All commercial/civilian aircraft and military aircraft working in commercial or civilian airspace are required to transmit or "Squawk" a unique code that identifies themselves, plus height, direction of travel and airspeed. The apps simply recieve and process the same transponder signal that airtraffic controllers see. Military aircraft transmit only if they want to be seen, so there is another side to the Global Hawk story.

• Advertisement

Putin seems to like to make statements to the world. He is really a show man. Harming our leaders would be his ultimate way to show his disdain and contempt for meddling Western leaders

Interesting theory from Reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Maybe they did.

I don't think they have claimed this find was today's? And even if they did would you believe them anyway?

They may have sat on this and monitored communications until their hack was rumbled.

Personally I think if they could garner intelligence of any value its what they've probably done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It’s illegal, under the Logan Act, for an unauthorised US citizen to enter into negotiations with a foreign government with which the US has a dispute.

• Advertisement

Have we descended to this nonsense now? I've met many Russians on holiday. A few were obnoxious, most were not. Same as any other nationality really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Pure twilight zone. They need to check the Kremlin water supply, there seems to be something in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭corkie

Times Radio: 'The West is at war with Russia' | Garry Kasparov

Speaking to Aasmah Mir on Times Radio Breakfast, Russian chess grandmaster & dissident Garry Kasparov said that the war in Ukraine will go worse and that the West is at war with Russia. "After Putin failed to win the war in two or three days as he planned, so he shifted to the strategy he knew best so destroying the country, levelling the cities, and spreading his campaign of terror," he said. He added: "The question now that remains open, at what point NATO and America that is a leading force in NATO, will recognise the simple fact we are at war with Russia, whether we like it or not, and this war has been declared on us by Putin. "We're fighting a war by other means. economic, political, technological, but it's a war and Putin kept repeating: it's not just the war on Ukraine, it's war against NATO, it's a war to redesign the world in his vision, which is, you know, back to medieval times."

Going by that he is suggesting that NATO, should get involved now, instead of waiting until later?

On another note, hopefully not giving ammunition to putinbots?

If Putin sees this as a ‘Military Operation’ and not a 'War' can he be guilty of War Crimes?

And yes I believe 'War Crimes' have happened in Ukraine.

But rather than de-escalating the conflict, Putin seems intent on cranking up the heating to full-blast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I think many are surprised including myself at the level of influence Abrahmovich has in Russia.

Abrahmovich lived in The Kremlin having been invited by Yeltsin and was the link man between Yeltsin and Putin. Subsequently Abrahmovich recommended Putin (for the job of PM I think) and interviewed his cabinet or something to that effect.

Allegedly some very dodgy deals were set up to funnel money to Putin via state contracts granted to Abrahmovichs companies.

Chelsea can go **** themselves playing the victim.

Russian liberators getting a warm welcome in Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm pretty sure Putin won't be the one deciding if its a war and hence charged with war crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Got this from the ever so neutral BBC eh? Abramovic was just one of dozens of elites in Russia to give the nod to Putin. Russia had no viable mechanism to elect a leader, so it was down to the elites to choose one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

For example, I do a bit of flying ( of course you do, you Walter Mitty bastard). But seriously, I do. I fly out of a little air strip in Roscommon called Tibhoine airfield. Its only a few miles from Knock Airport. Now, Knock does not have an active radar, so they cannot see us. Neither can Shannon Control, which controls aircraft flying at a certain level. So we have to contact control, who assign us a squawk code, which I input into the transponder, select the mode, which broadcasts our attitude, speed etc and as soon as I do that, a blip appears on their screens. Therefore they can steer us clear of any impatient Ryanair flight that might be bearing down on our asses at that moment. Very simplified of course, but you get the picture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I remember when the F117 stealth aircraft was finally revealed they did mention that when flying beyond their bases they had a transponder they could extend that would make them show up on civilian radar in case of accidents. Needless to say they didn't squawk "I'm a top sekrit hairyplane". IIRC they pretended to be F16's or F5's. Given the F117 first flew in 1981 you would wonder what the Americans have now that we don't know about.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I sincerely hope the Ukrainians have a store of their home-grown Neptune anti-ship cruise missiles they have been hiding from airstrikes and have refrained from using so as not to tip their hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

One would have to wonder if Russia do succeed in at least the initial taking of Ukraine what way the West's response would be viewed in the eye's of history.

Sanctions and some limited military aid will hardly be viewed as "good enough" when more decisive action could have saved Ukraine and it's people. It's not like they are not deserving of our support and it's not like the pull into Russian control of Ukraine is good for the west.

Looking at civilians standing against armed soldiers it is difficult to justify inaction even with a considered view of the potential escalation that further Western actions could bring about. As a small unprotected country at the edge of Europe maybe it particularly strikes a chord that those with the means to end this war are unwilling to step in and will sit on the sidelines as children, elderly, animals and an entire culture is bulldozed into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Apparently Ukrainian forces have hit an airfield near Kherson, this is possibly Russian forces retreating from that area (not confirmed, pinch of salt, etc)

But what about Iran using the Yemeni's as their cannon fodder, comrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Thats a real pedal to the metal job.... no orderly convoy rules there...more like every man for himself......☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Sanctions and some limited military aid will hardly be viewed as "good enough" when more decisive action could have saved Ukraine and it's people.

Yes but it could have (and still could) plunge the world into a nuclear WW3. Got to do a detailed cost-benefit analysis before undertaking these sorts of actions...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

@corkie

On another note, hopefully not giving ammunition to putinbots?

If Putin sees this as a ‘Military Operation’ and not a 'War' can he be guilty of War Crimes?

And yes I believe 'War Crimes' have happened in Ukraine.

If I cover my eyes while playing hide and seek, can people still see me?

• Advertisement

From, Redit, so pinch od salt, but seems plausible:

"I have been told by someone in odessa its was a ukrainian MLRS (forget the name) with gps guided munitions. They programmed the missiles to cover a specific bit of water and lured the russian ship using 2 gunboats and then fired at it. One gunboat was seriously damaged and some of the crew killed"

Sure sounds like something the inventive Ukrainians would come up with, as I don't think that system was intended for naval targets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement