Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of replacing fuse board

Options
  • 07-03-2022 7:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi. We have a pretty old 70's era fuse board in our house, screw-in type fuses. I'm just wondering what's a ball park figure to dismantle that and fit a new fuse board? Just want to have some sort of an idea before people come out.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

As part of a fuse board replacement it’s a requirement that the earthing is also upgraded along with a new earth rod. The mains cables need to be upgraded too. When this is done the whole house needs to be tested and certified.

some issues may be discovered during this testing and may need to be rectified (or a notice of potential hazard issued)

in my experience if a fuse board needs replacement then a rewire of the whole installation may be required

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

I'm looking at getting a new fuse board too, Can I get an SPD on the board and RCBOs fitted to every circuit? Would this meet Irish Regs?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gamergurll

Would be interested to hear costs too, ours has an awful buzzing sound so not sure if it needs replacing or what, it's as old as the hills though

You need to get that buzzing sound checked by a rec. it could be connections arching which would be a fire risk(it could be as simple as a bell transformer too though). Needs investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gamergurll

Thanks that's good to know, landlord won't hear of having it looked at he says it's totally normal but the sound is driving me batty and I'm thinking of paying to have it looked at myself, that's why I was wondering about what it might cost

• Advertisement

If you have storage heating it could be the contactor when it energises. Definitely worth getting it checked out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,637 ✭✭✭Shoog

70's fuse board is now 50years old so I would say a full rewire is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭beachhead

You are looking at a total rewire of your house especially if the wiring is 1970s

Advertisement