Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I love when people give very little detail 😃.

The potential here is unreal from a solar pv point of view. I'm going to say fill the roof and you could be virtually off grid all year round. With 3 phase you can go to a 11kwh inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

If you're away during the day, then you'll be totally reliant on the battery for savings, and with an array that size, the battery will be full by 9am. But a 5kW battery would only save you about a quid a day. You'll end up exporting a huge amount for 6 months of the year.

You may be much better off with just a 3kW system.

You really need to understand your power usage before making any purchasing decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Best thing to do mate - and this isn't the first time myself or anyone else has said this, but before jumping on the solar bandwagon (and I do hope that you do as it's good for the environment) but you have to get a handle on where your current energy is going. You can't improve something unless you can measure it and understand what the problem is that your trying to solve.

Couple of questions/things to check.

1. Do you have a lot of halogen lights in the house? If you do and they are old, they are probably 50 watts a piece. I had 8 of them in my kitchen, so 400 watts / hour. At €0.20 a unit electricity.......that's 8 cent an hour. Lights could be on in the kitchen from 6pm to midnight in Feb, so 50 cents/day. Replacing them with LED versions will very quickly cuts your bills before going solar.
    2. Are you on a day/night tariff? If your not, consider moving to one if you can. then you can turn on the washing machine at 11pm and take advantage of cheap night rate leccie. Install a timer on the immersion.
    3. How do you heat the place. Oil/gas or electricity?
    4. Have a read of.... Interested in Solar PV? Read this FAQ first. — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

3 phase puts your "limit" at 11kw, But with export limitation you possibly could go beyond that.

There is 3 phase hybrid inverters, and with everything in the garage its quite accessible.

It will be more expensive that traditional installs but you have far more scope.

You already have a backup generator and changeover switch gear. Intergration should be possible.

.. Man thats a lot of info.. lol

there is a FIT coming, the minimum payment is set at 0c/kwh..

Now that we've got background, What do you want to do? I wouldnt bother with thermal panels now, PV are far more flexible. (and simpler)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 superemote

People should remember if they are not switching energy providers annually, they are missing out on circa 30% saving on bill, which is getting more and more significant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Thanks for the thoughts, I am hoping to basically try and get to be able to minimise external electric usage, in that I can only see that going one way price wise, and given that I've a lot of the spadework and complex infrastructure already in place because of the other gear that's already in use, it's time to look at what's involved cost wise, and value wise in becoming "off grid" a lot more. Despite the "green" issues of gas, I think we will be retaining gas hob for cooking, as my wife doesn't want to go electric.

Longer term, we might well end up with EV charging, and that won't have to be at night, as we're both "almost" retired, so not tied to having to be out of the house during the day, but in the same vein, that could mean putting some heat into the house outside of the times we were used to, so it's going to be a balancing act. Electric heating is unlikely to be an option, and air to water heat pumps are a questionable option for a house of this size and construction, as it would need to a major retrofit to put in new radiators, underfloor is not an option, I can't afford the cost of tearing out over 200 Sq metres of tiles, we had to tile the entire ground floor as a result of flooding a few years ago.

I can also give some consideration to possibly putting some small wind power devices in, as I have some machining capabilities here, so can make some things up myself, rather than having to buy everything in. That may help with making off grid power available out of sun power hours.

I suppose the other reason is that I am considerably less than impressed with how the parties in power are actually preparing for the future energy requirements that are going to be put on ESB, we're going to need more power, over longer periods of the day, and I am less than convinced that the essential infrastructure that's going to be needed on the distribution side is going to be in place in time, and also concerned that in the event of major disruptions to the network, the repair side may not be able to get things up and running again in a sensible time frame, and with the way things are going, being without power for prolonged periods will become even more problematic, as the future is looking like there won't be alternatives to electric.

So, that's the thinking here, and all I can do is see where it goes next. We don't have a massive budget, but it's worth looking at.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Well if your that way inclined, you may be interested in building your own batteries.. from cells from aliexpress etc. (solar PV battery thread)

I agree on prices, And with oil hitting 1.80, and with the current electric prices, its nearly cheaper to heat via resistive heating never mind heat pumps.

There is high temp heat pumps coming onto the market too paired with a decent buffer tank.

Where in the country are you based roughly, theres a couple of well used suppliers that you can be pm'd to you.

Also go for the seai grant, dont leave cash on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Had a quote back today:

14 PANELS 370 WATT 5.18 KW. JA SOLAR

5 KW SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER

5KW PURE DRIVE BATTERY

WIFI DONGLE

€11,500 pre Grant

€9,100 post Grant.

I assume it's same place as #1377 though less of a bargain 😏

Building Batteries could well be a possibility, a few years back I was working with a company that built fork lift batteries, so the principal is known, and it's not a massive job, just takes time, and that I have more of than I used to.

High temp heat pumps will indeed be of interest.

Location is Ashbourne, Co Meath.

Grant, if we qualify, great, but I am not confident, they seem to have the scheme very much loaded to favour one stop shop contractors, and I can't afford that sort of spend, and too many prices I've seen are more than somewhat loaded as a result.

You can DIY the whole setup so. All you need is to nominate a sparks on the NC6 ESB Networks form (so the sparks doesn't even have to sign it), and no obligation on the nominated sparks to do the install.

In essence, the sparks is only needed to terminate the inverter in the fuse board on it's own breaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 pyor

Has anyone got a view on how much extra it should cost for a three story house rather than two?

I believe scaffolding costs can add a bit. 

I'm looking at a 5kw install.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Pricing up a 5 panel expansion currently. Will bring me to 7.75kWp with 4.03 west and 3.72 south.

13 panels west, 12 south so staying within the voltage limits.

You could parallel two groups of 6 on the shed to avoid using optimizers for when your few get shaded.

Parallel 6 shaded with 6 unshaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

While not directly related to quotes per say, I can see a few more people in this forum shortly looking to get on the solar bandwagon.

‘Butter is a luxury’ – Irish public react as gas and electric price increases announced (msn.com)

Good old Joe Duffy.....obviously hasn't heard there's a war going on in Eastern Europe. Still 30-40% increases, good thing it's March and we have a few months of relatively good weather until Oct. to get them down again. Somehow.

You really think that Ryan and his hangers on will even care, let alone do anything about the massive hikes in energy prices? He's likely to be only delighted to see these increases, it will mean a huge windfall gain for the government in VAT, and more than likely even bigger profits at ESB, and if truth be told, they will be only delighted if pensioners and the rest of the hard pressed fixed income people are under more pressure, as that will likely mean they go out less, eat out less, drive less etc, and that will be perfect for helping push the Covid numbers down without having to spend more money on things like testing, extra vaccination shots and actually fixing the HSE (if that's even possible).

Just watch for that self satisfied smug grin on his face the next time the Government rolls him out to deliver some message or other. It's embarrassing to watch, and I'd love to give him a massive slap across the face to wipe that grin off him.

it's unfortunately looking like a Win Win for Ryan, it cetainly will in his eyes, as for the devastating effect it will have on huge numbers of people, the chances of Ryan and his ilk really caring and doing something positive to help that group is unfortunately about as likely as us having some decent weather over the next while to mitigate the costs of these changes.

I was already looking seriously at our PV options, with the hikes that have been announced today, it's becoming even more urgent, but I'm under no illusions, there will be very little real help from Government to fix this, short or long term, from what I've seen there's nothing for us from SEAI, and there's nothing else even on the long term horizon to try to lift huge numbers of people out of the trap they've been put in by years of neglect by ongoing governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Picked up a 2nd hand inverter today for a 2nd array. Need to get the rest of the kit sooner rather than later. 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Just to clarify.... Does the inverter have to terminate in at the fuse board? Or could it go in to the box with the meter?

Recent meter move etc so we've the meter and 1 ESB breaker plus a breaker for the feed in to the house within the meter box.... Could an inverter be connected here and not have to touch the internal board?

Physically yeah, and technically it would work.

But regs wise it's unlikely.

They only allow car charge points to be attached there as a last resort.

Oh I was on about Seai for solar, not the heatpump etc. At least we're coming into summer now, and the solar starts to really show it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dracularsa

Thanks everyone for your helpful posts. I have written down all ur quotes for when the sales guy is coming around.

Would love a pm about companies in the Dublin area.

Would the Enniskillen company install in Dublin??

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MatureCheddar

Hi guys, so I got two quotes today with two different companies. I would like to hear your thoughts on them and if you would do anything different, any advice would be welcomed.

Q1

14 PANELS 370 WATT 5.18 KW JA SOLAR

5KW SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER

5 KW. PURE DRIVE BATTERY

EDDI WATER DIVERTER

WI FI DONGLE

11500 EU.INC.VAT.

GRANT 2400 APPLY TO SEAI.

TOTAL 9100 EU.

Q2

4.62kWp (12X385W)

2.4kwh battery

MYEnergi EDDI

Cost including VAT is. €11543

Grant applied from SEAI €2400

Final Cost €9143

my monthly electric bill comes to roughly €165. Q1 seems way better in every sense, with a bigger system, battery. Could I also ask what the wifi dongle is for, if anyone has any info on it that would be great. I also have another guy coming next week for another quote so I will update on that after. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Deagol

First quote is better but still a little haggling room there. Can you fit anymore panels or is that max? Get the 6kw inverter.

Wifi dongle is just for the inverter to communicate back out via your wifi connection to the remote server.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MatureCheddar

The space I have on the roof for solar is roughly 13ft by 24ft, so however many panels they can fit in that space I guess. What would the benefit of getting a 6kw inverter?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yes they will install in Dublin, they've been all the way to Cork I believe, although that's a bit mad. I'd prefer a company to be not too far away in the event of needing support.

Enniskillen to Dublin is one thing, Enniskillen to Cork is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Deagol

Get as many panels as will fit! Benefit of the bigger inverter is that it costs an extra €100 or so and gives you maximum flexibility if / when you decide to add more panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 soft landing

Long time follower of this great thread.

I am looking to get a system set up in the coming months & would appreciate a PM of good suppliers that serve the Leinster area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭sockpuppets

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fandango1976

Has anybody else heard of delays with inverters recently? Our panels & battery were installed last week, along with all the necessary wiring, but we've been told there's a delay getting inverters. Quite frustrating looking at out the lovely sun shining pretty much every day since the panels were put on the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭funnyname

I got some quotes last November but didn't follow them up as we were doing a big renovation job on our house, and wasn't so sure about what was left in the tank re funds, still not fully sure as we have to get a new heat pump and also looking at upgrading one of our 2 ICE cars to an EV.

We've missed the boat on the battery grant do we still need to get a hybrid inverter, is one still required if you end up with an EV that can be set up for V2H?

We can fit 18 panels (maybe 20, hopefully they'd have spares on the day of installation in case there was more room) on our south facing roof and we have a smaller roof that's west facing that could fit 8 panels, should we look to max out right now or is there room for manoeuvre at a later stage, ie should we go for a bigger inverter now)

Re the Zappi, does this get covered by the €600 grant from the SEAI? If we get the solar panels installed before we buy the EV (not sure when we'll get one tho) should we still order the zappi?

Here is one quote I got back in November

6KW/340 WATT 6.12KW 18 PANELS JA SOLAR 

6KW SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER

5KW PURE DRIVE BATTERY

EDDIE WATER DIVERTER

WI FI DONGLE 

PRICE 11000 EUROS INC VAT.

EV CHARGER ZAPPI 1200 EUROS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement