Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian warship, go f**k yourself!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I dont remember a referendum or even a public discussion being held on our neutrality status so unless youre more well informed than me or ive been asleep the last few weeks and missed something as far as im concerned were still neutral and it should be kept that way.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

We're "neutral" in that we're unaligned militarily. We're not neutral when it comes to calling a spade a spade and the government have been quiet vocal on their opposition to the invasion.

No need to be sending our lads off to there anyway. The countries going are all bordering Ukraine (except Czechia), are handling a lot of the refugees and are likely next targets. Plus they represent the EU which we are part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

He's not been asleep, first line of the article

Micheál Martin said Ireland has “never been politically neutral” and a discussion on military non-alignment could take place after the war in Ukraine has ended

There has been no "discussion" yet.

Why Ukraine didn't attack the 40 mile convoy, an army marches on it's logistics

https://twitter.com/tomiahonen/status/1503368526127673347?s=20&t=cTGSjqoz6lPEtkvqwHTnoA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,670 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This is a significant development. If anything happens to any of them or there entourage it could be considered an act of war. I think it only time now before some sort of substantial intervention from the West/ NATO if Putin dose not negotiate and find a way to exit.

I would not even be surprised to see these countries act unilaterally and outside NATO

Slava Ukrainii

EU & NATO ought intervene at this point, at the invitation of the Ukrainian Govt. Ukraine isn't russia and if russian forces get destroyed in the defense of a sovereign country then too bad about them. If you saw the Tonight show last evening, Alan Shatter was the only one on it speaking sense. Everyone else playing putrids game of being afraid and talking "de-escalation". The plan which has led us to this point. Nuclear deterrence works both ways.

In other alleged news...

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1503638287558529032?s=20&t=YLRfmumwuh8LM0crBqej3Q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭ginger22

And you think Putin worries about a kamakazie situation.

Why would it be kamakazie. The fear for Putin would be would his orders be followed. At this stage we know that after nearly twenty five years of his rule his army is as bad or worse than when he first got to power. It's now known that he has little understanding of what he has on the ground .

I was talking to a lad that was in the Royal Marines he said that with what is happening in Ukraine Russia is lucky they are not fighting a fairly modern army. He said the British or French army would have his forces in Ukraine badly battered at this stage.

Russia is not able to control the skies over Ukraine. It's depending on it artillery to batter Ukraine into some sort of score draw. He said it must be dawning on the upper echelons in the army that even if they win how can they control the country.

On top of this 14k anti war people are in prison in Russia, how long can the jailing of protesters continue as well.

It highly unlikely that any order to use nuclear battlefield weapons on Ukraine so would be adhered to. They would only be used if western forces invaded Russia proper

More and more we are seeing that Putin bots were incorrect on there accessment of how strong Russia was. They were incorrect about it military strength, about it's technology, ability to wield it's currency reserves and its ability to withstand sanctions.

It's nearly time to roll this shower up and get it over and done with.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

It’s very important that the UN or equivalent name these people , eg this lady and the two mayors who were kidnapped, and enquire where they are, their well-being , etc. if their names are kept in the public domain then the Russians should be more careful re their fate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

If those protesters are in jail,I would be surprised.bullets are cheaper and more effective than jail

Calm your knickers, it's called brinkmanship and it's been played for decades. The NATO/EU side keep signalling to the russian side what they won't do. We won't act if you invade, we won't act if you flatten cities, we won't act if you use chemical weapons. That makes the NATO/EU side entirely predictable. In anything where people are pitted against people, the predictable "afraid" side loses. The West has been predictable since it unilaterally declared victory during the Cold War. For putrid, the Cold War never ended.

TV lady appeared in court an hour ago. No idea about the mayors, but haven't looked. As for the UN, the most pointless international organisation that exists today.

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1503749669775716356?s=20&t=1u_V0kKl7XXck8X3qi2DpA

Prepare to be surprised, no way are they shooting 14k of their own people. Most are probably since released with large fines, while the perceived real troublemakers detained longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭alps

An interesting aspect of these authoritarian regimes is the proliferation of cameras, which can be hacked. I wonder if China is taking note of it 🤔

https://twitter.com/Anonymous_Link/status/1503675266186493954?s=20&t=mnMoOC3zpC-5IzV6wQ7OeQ

Erdogan off to moscow and Ukraine tomorrow, will he go to Kyiv is the question..

BIt strange isnt it you have a fella here spouting on about a dictator running an authoritarian state over in the east while at the same time happy enough that our "dear leaders" here can spout out what suits them about our neutrality status despite no procedure followed to change our constitution.

Better living everyone

Again like many you do not understand the facts. Irish neutrality is not written into the constitution AFAIK. What is in the constitution is that unless invaded it takes an vote of the Oireachtas to allow us to go to war.

We cannot secede any sovereignty without a vote of the people, buts it's a vote of the Oireachtas to go to war.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Further to that....it says unless "their is an invasion"...It doesn't even say on us...

But spot on...it allows the Oireachtas to decide..

There isn't even a case for neutrality in this instance.

There aren't 2 sides....

A country was invaded...1 agressor, not 2..

This is someone being mugged and we turning the other way because we're "neutral"...It's sad.

We could be credited with ringing the police though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭older by the day

Russian warship, go f**k yourself

Did anyone ever realize how important Russia and Ukraine were to us. What a stupid headline, twenty days in. Bord gas rising electricity and gas through the roof. Fert gone £2200 a pallet. It's only starting. Animal feed gone by Christmas. Just makes us realize what a weak little country we live in. We close or give away our natural resources and we are dependent on imports for most things. Most of the people on this thread and the Irish leadership are like the weakest lad in the school yard, well able to shout when they can hide behind the big boys. Then run away if they get called out. Help the Ukrainian people everyway we can. But let the big boys do the fighting in the school yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Advertisement

Take it up with the Taoiseach, Tanaiste, and Minister for Foreign affairs & Defense. They have all said the same thing.

Next thing to do is for democratic nations to start building factories again. Eventually there will be a reckoning with China. Most likely we will be caught out again being dependent upon unfriendly actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

What needs to happen is Britain and the US get involved in an air war over Ukraine.

Me thinks they're just letting Russia flatten Ukraine to let the world repulse at russia. But Russia could perhaps take ukraine or maybe not instead like Syria. In not acting, war continues in Ukraine. Sanctions continue against russia.

Right say Russia does take Ukraine. In my eyes that's ten years of sanctions against russia. Gas is cut off. Gas has to be shipped from US and British firms to europe. Same with oil. Business booms for these.

Whatever of the fertilizer. Hydrogen infused water perhaps..

Point is the US and Britain are too comfortable just watching Russia obliterate Ukraine. The weapons so far are just token gifts imo to be seen to be doing something.

Poland and the baltic states are going batshit crazy with the thoughts of Russia as neighbours again. US, Britain chill man. France doesn't know what to do.

World is phucked. Legitimized murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I think more than the US and Britain, the whole world needs to come together and bring this slaughter to an end. If they don't then I can see a few of the Nato countries getting involved directly. If I was in one of those eastern European countries I would be inclined to tackle the Russians now seeing how much of a cluster **** the army is. I also believe some of the Nato members are not afraid to call the Nuclear bluff and reckon they would be better off either way. I'd say it is the US and the UK that are stopping it at the moment, but the longer it goes on, the more cities Putin flattens the Children he kills sooner it is going to happen. The world might as well engage them now and not wait any longer.

I don't see that happening, AFAIK, if individual countries went it alone they lose article 5 protection as retaliation from russia would be just that, retaliation. That's why Ukraine never got Polands MIG's, Poland was willing to give but only if they had back up which didn't materialise.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

It's already happening, we see the Polish, Czech and Slovenian PMs visiting kiev. These countries are getting overrun with refugees, they must know that they alone can push the Russians back out of Ukraine. Would Russia risk a nuclear retaliation from Poland? idk but that's the risk they would have to take if they attack them

+100

I was just thinking today about Aughanish Alumni or Alcan as it was known years ago is now owned by Rusal I believe, should they pack up and pull out of Limerick now because its not socially acceptable to have them there? What money that plant generates for that area and the national economy is phenomonal, it would be a massive blow to the economy but sure look it isnt that it.

A quarry local to here has all its staff on notice of potential lay offs coming up as they cant get materials to make blocks or readymix at the moment so the bulk of there output cant be produced despite the high demand for building materials.

Local fabrication firm making diet feeders cant get materials into the country to make their products at the moment too, i was talking to a relative working there who said theres an awful lot of standing around going on there which would be very very unusual for that firm.

The company i am with is having huge trouble getting materials at the moment too and its worse its getting since the invasion started. Both copper and stainless pipe and fittings had to be sourced from several suppliers and it still had a huge wait time so we had to get a loan of materials off the main contractor as there was no hope of getting it into the country before the deadlines set on the job.

Look inside youre own farm gate as well, diesel white and green is a ridiculous price, plastic is going to be dearer this year too and wait until the price of feed is raised relative to the shortages caused by the invasion, has youre farmgate price increased relative to input prices?

All well and good putting up the cringey blue and yellow flags on social media, embarrassing the Russian Ambassador on the National Broadcaster then ramming the gates of the Embassy but its painting us in a very bad light to the Russians.

All we should be doing is supplying humanitarian aid and helping the displaced civilians as best we can weve been at that years and were good at that too. Stick to what we know and lets not bite the hand that feeds us.

Better living everyone

Proof that the quicker we get this over with, the better..

• Advertisement

Where in that article are you seeing those countries committing to send their own forces to Ukraine?

Poland doesn't have nuclear weapons.

Erdogan is in Ukraine tomorrow, doesn't follow that NATO's largest standing army will be going with him however.

Advertisement