Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,074 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Stop spoofing as an attempt to mask just how little you know about LNG. Show me where I said or even suggested the proposed LNG terminal in Kerry was owned by the state ?

According to your post we get 69% of our electricity from renewables, (whereas as your link gives that total as 42% with 33% of that being from wind) but I`m happy enough to go with your 69%.

So, now with us getting 69% of our electricity from renewables, would you care to explain where we are getting this supposed cheap electricity from such a high percentage of renewables when in fact we have the 4th. highest electricity charges in the E.U.

And before you start shouting fossil fuels being to blame, all that data is prior to the current rise in natural gas prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Where was "just wind referred to"? But on that subject, solar is also not a reliable renewable energy generation source in Ireland.

And remember you're the one introducing the idea that all we need is LOADS more renewables and we won't need natural gas and sur' we'll all be grand. Germany's high percentage of renewables shows exactly how you are wrong.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

I was replying to the poster who claimed that we had "no natural gas" You yourself previously claimed that our natural gas was "piped in".

What is it with not knowing that Ireland does indeed have its own supplies of natural gas. The same natural gas the green party have just kiboshed with regard to any future exploration. The same natural gas we are heavily dependent on on because renewable energy generation in inherently unreliable.

Have you lost the plot completely.

I never said or even suggested that if we had a nuclear plant we would randomly be flicking on and of the switch.

The "We could use nuclear if there is a surplus available and it is there when we need it" was in reference to us being up the Swanny and having to go scrounging around other countries for supply.

Unless you have also lost the ability to read and comprehend along with the plot, that is more than clear from my post, so stop acting the eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

If we cant build a children's hospital on budget and time then i would have no hope for a nuclear plant.

• Advertisement

All I can say by tonight performance is the green party has only its junior members manning its social media feed 😅

Hate to break this to you, but for the next year or two, and the foreseeable future, if we stay following the present green agenda you will be paying the price of converting natural gas into electricity to power your heat pump.

You would probable be as well off, or maybe even better, by saving yourself the expense of retrofitting and a heat pump by staying as you are and cutting out the middle man.

Nah, the current gas boiler is on its last legs so it needs to be replaced anyway. Heat pump is the only logical choice for me.

What a bizarre rant lol.

Ireland gets a significant portion of its gas through pipelines to the UK.

Ireland gets a significant portion of its gas from deposits off the coast.

Both statements are correct. Nobody is claiming otherwise yet you seem to be trying to argue about this. Not sure why but hey, you do you

• Advertisement

"Lol" indeed. And wrong again- that was a factual comment. So my friend the only rant is yours, especially where you've bizarrely previously claimed Irelands natural gas was "piped in"

Not so. Currently Ireland has three sources of gas supply: The Corrib gas field supplies around 60% of Ireland’s annual demand with further 35% imported from the UK / Europe and the remaining 5% coming from the Kinsale gas field.

So thats 65% which is supplied by Irish natural gas! I guess that's a learning outcome for you. You're welcome.

no idea what counter argument you are trying to make as you just made my point for me, cheers btw

Well I guess the fact that you thought all natural gas was "piped in" for a start lol.

But I guess maybe you're not very good with factual information? But hey don't worry about it.

Ok dude, when you have something come back to me, you're sinking as it is

Sure. Thats when you learn natural gas in Ireland isn't simply "piped in"! Like you claim here

As for LNG terminals, we simply have no need for them as our gas is already piped in

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118784737/#Comment_118784737

The gas that comes from the uk is transported through a pipeline, why is this a struggle for you to understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I’m 40 this year. People have been dying of starvation, dehydration etc since long before I was born, and will continue to do so long after I’m gone. Luck of the draw I guess.

Lol. You can try and dig your way out not knowing Ireland had its own Natural gas all you like. It doesn't wash. At least if you admitted your mistake it would show some honesty. But hey that's where your at.

"As for LNG terminals, we simply have no need for them as our gas is already piped in"

"Current pipelines supply all gas needed"

Ah ok, I understand now where you're confusion is coming from.

I was referring to Moffat.

As an example those lines met 96% of our gas needs in 2016,with the balance coming from Kinsale. There is also spare capacity afaik.

We have no need for a lng terminal as our needs are fulfilled by Moffat.

Yeah Corrib is supplying us now, same as Kinsale(is this empty yet) , but even when those run dry we'll still have enough coming from Moffat to meet our needs, in fact 80-83% of our gas will come through Moffat from 2025 onwards according to the CER as Corrib flows drop off.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Weasel words. You were just handed your rear-end on a tray for trying to claim

"As for LNG terminals, we simply have no need for them as our gas is already piped in"

"Current pipelines supply all gas needed"

They don't.

Currently Ireland has three sources of gas supply: The Corrib gas field supplies around 50-60% of Ireland’s annual demand with the remainder imported from the UK (and Europe) and approx 5% coming from the Kinsale gas field.

When those gas fields fields are fully extracted we face the prospect of having no natural gas resources at all, due to the fact our own home grown green party eejits have decided to unilaterally shut down all natural gas exploration in Ireland

We will then be fully dependent on importing natural gas via the UK (and Europe). Gas which following the invasion of Ukraine will not only be scarce but increasinhly expensive.

This is the extreme stupidity of green thunk in this country. This is the stupidity you are promoting whilst not even having a clue that we even have or own natural gas and apparently now delighted that we will be shafted because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

You mentioned about wind and provided a link about wind now blowing. You forget?

So far a lot of ranting and raving from two posters who seems to have no idea about energy.

in terms of gas, we seem to be suggesting the link to uk is not used, incorrect 50% is coming from Uk and that will increase to 90%

The few people confused by LNG plant in Kerry, this will not be owned by ireland which has been suggested. This will be owned by a private company who will sell us gas at the same rate as everyone else.

So to try and finally explain, I doubt it will sink in. We only have about 13% of our energy requirement provided by renewables. This has peaked for some days and shows the potential.

But for the confused few it’s not just wind, so if the wind is not strong the whole system doesn’t fall down as predicted. Companies have planned how to achieve since early 2000s but no investment. If we have our own grid we can manage our pricing. We also already have a gas link so if we need a backup in rare situations this already is in place. We don’t need the LNG plant because it will offer us no better pricing.

We also need to balance the grid which means removing peaks etc, this is the plan with smart meter.

And please why is anyone linking to Germany which is not along the Atlantic Ocean and have totally different requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Read your posts, you clearly had no idea LNG plant was a private company.

I provided links to how electricity is priced and how much renewable we use

Maybe read some of them and stop the ranting at everyone

So even more spoofing in your comment there, got you.

"You mentioned about wind"

Wrong. I made no mention of the word "wind" at all in that comment You really should check before trying to make stuff up

I referred to the problems regarding reliability with renewable energy generation overall and as an example detailed how

The problem is renewable energy production is inherently unreliable as seen this winter in Ireland and across Europe

And as an example of that linked an article providing details on the widespread problems encountered with with the lack of wind generation right across Europe. However the fact that the European renewable grid "was not just wind" had little or no impact on the fact that European countries had massive down turns in renewable energy generation this winter.

Bizarrely trying to dismis that by saying "renewables grid is not just wind" was an extremely stupid attempt at pedantism. But hey not really surprised there

And it was already explained to you that it's not only wind power which is unreliable, solar is also an unreliable renewable energy generation source in Ireland.

I do agree that so far there's been a lot of ranting and raving from two posters who seem to have no idea about energ. Here's one of the best yet with you bizarrely claiming that.

"Ireland does not have any... gas"

😅🤣😂

Btw you are now off again making stuff up.

No one has suggested the link for importing natural gas from the uk is not used. I have already provided the statistics in several other comments on current natural gas imports several times.

But more importantly in Ireland Natural gas is the largest source of electricity generated, accounting for 52% of all electricity generated in 2020.

So no its definitely not a case of simply "having a gas link so if we need a backup in rare situations this already is in place."

Gas is needed when the renewable share of electricity generation falls.

Natural gas is needed for the foreseeable future and not just in "rare situations" because to put it simply Renewables are inherently unreliable

So as previous your comments have been been called out by several posters as complete spoof and utter rubbish and unfortunately that really hasn't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

100% renewable grid will NOT work until we get some sort of long term storage in place.

The hope for this is green hydrogen coupled with many interconnectors.

Until we get green hydrogen as storage on the system (no infrastructure built yet!) we need gas backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The standing charge increases are effecting you too, no matter how much you generate yourself.

No denying that its pricey, but then solar and onshore wind used to have abysmal numbers too until the industry grew and economies of scale came into play.

No reason why the same won't happen with offshore wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You keep telling me your age.

I'm not too far off your age and I remember the horrific famines that have afflicted the likes of Somalia over the years.

These will continue but climate change will make them much more widespread.

The logic from climate change deniers and apologists is 'Climate changed in the past therefore it's normal' or 'Famines happened in the past, therefore its normal'

The problem is yes, climates have changed, famines have happened, but the scale of the problem will be way beyond anything we have ever experienced before.

The world can send Bob Geldof and Bono in to rescue a few hundred thousand Ethiopians on the brink of starvation. Who's going to be able to save the few billion on the brink of starvation if large parts of the worlds wheat and rice crops fail in the same year, at the same time when there are droughts and heatwaves affecting large parts of the highly populated subtropical regions

The IPCC report from 2 weeks ago warns of the increasing likelihood of convergent weather extremes happening. As extremes become more normal, it's more likely that crops will fail in multiple locations at once, that wildfires will burn in one region while devastating floods happen a few weeks later...

We've already seen this happen in Australia this year BTW, and that's at 1.2c. We could get to 4c within decades

Seriously, you people have your heads so deeply buried in the sand...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

He's clearly talking about our using surplus nuclear through interconnectors if it's made available to us from other countries surplus.

By contrast, he elsewhere writes of our having nuclear.

Two different things, but of course you know this and are purposefully twisting his words to suit your agenda.

• Advertisement

Why do you insist on spoofing when you have been caught out doing it so often ?

You have made this claim a number of times now, even after being told I never said or even suggested that the state was seeking to build a a LNG terminal in Kerry. I asked you to show me where you believed I did either, and yet again just rinse and repeat spoofing.

I am well aware of how electricity is priced, and how much renewables we use in electricity generation. More so than you evidentially as the percentages you posted does not even tally with the link you provided in the same post.

There is nothing in your links to answer the question I have asked you, so rather than attempting to spoof, avoid and distract why will you not answer ?

With the percentage of renewables used in the generation of electricity, the vast bulk of that wind energy, if wind power is this cheap energy source that so much taxpayers money has been poured into that you and others keep claiming it is, then why, even before this crisis, we were in the top 4 in the E.U. with the highest charges.

It`s not as if this is unique to Ireland either. Germany which claims to produce more electricity from renewables, (again the bulk being from wind) than from fossil fuels combined is even more expensive for electricity than we are.

Advertisement