Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What 'end' was this in terms of Afghanistan?

Go on, explain it, or are you peddling more conspiracy theories Francie?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

I love the deluded notion of being neutral. I’d love to see how neutral we’d be if ould Vlad the conqueror came over here just because he can……. The world is becoming a harsher place to survive and very soon every country will have to either tool up themselves or pick a side to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The 'end'?

A vainglorious mission designed for home audiences to rid the world of terrorism. P.S. I don't care if it was the UN or NATO, they failed.

This makes no sense.

They invaded to be vain?

You are struggling Francie.

Vainglorious: If you describe someone as vainglorious, you are critical of them because they are very proud of what they have done and boast a lot about it.

• Advertisement

This is a circular argument.

They invaded Afghanistan to be boastful and to then boast about it in a vain manner.

Makes as much sense as a chocolate teapot. Then again, you love the odd Conspiracy yourself. Why dont you tell us all its about oil? ROFL

Tired explaining ordinary words to you. I'm off to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

@markodaly

PESCO isn't a military alliance. The EU isn't a military alliance.

Economic activity (such as refueling at Shannon) or developmental military/security co-operation (such as membership of PESCO) does not violate neutrality.

I think we disagree on the definition of neutrality. I define it in the sense that has been universally accepted for 1000 years of military history. You define it in any sense that allows you to continue your argument.

There remains a difference between alignment, association, co-operation and clear belligerence.

Ireland is a militarily neutral state, it always has been.

PESCO isn't a military alliance.

It is a framework for continuous integration for common defence and security. It is not NATO sure, not that mature yet, but it could certainly morph into it.

The EU isn't a military alliance

It does have a common defence and security policy as part of its remit, which was updated when Lisbon was passed.

The next few years we will see the EU adopt a much more aggressive stance on this.

Economic activity (such as refueling at Shannon) or developmental military/security co-operation (such as membership of PESCO) does not violate neutrality.

Actually, it does, as per the Red Cross definition. You have yet to provide your own definition by the way. No word either on the Irish Defence forces with NATO in Afghanistan or the fact that we have an MOU with the RAF about our airspace..?

Neutral my ass. The more I dig the more it's apparent that it's a mirage.

You define it in any sense that allows you to continue your argument.

My definition comes from the International Red Cross, not the pub.

Ireland is a militarily neutral state, it always has been.

Even when we shared intelligence reports and weather updates with the British and funnelled their RAF aircrews over the border, yet kept the Germans in the Curragh? Even then we were playing around with it.

I would recommend everyone read the following piece.

It is from 1999 and written by Gareth Fitzgerald himself, and the topic at hand is Irish 'Neutrality'.

On WWII

de Valera successfully deceived the Germans into believing that Ireland was pursuing a genuine policy of neutrality. However, actual policy was in no way impartial, for it involved close, but very secret, co-operation with Britain by an Ireland which remained non-belligerent, but in no way neutral.

So successful was this secrecy that it not only persisted throughout the war, deceiving the Germans, but was sustained for 30 years thereafter. By the time the truth about our wartime role emerged from official documents in the late 1960s, the myth of Irish wartime neutrality had become so deeply embedded in the minds of people both in Britain and here in Ireland that it has since remained effectively unshaken by the facts of what actually happened in those years.

On NATO

The second myth of Irish neutrality relates to our decision not to join the North Atlantic Alliance in 1949. In the negotiations neutrality was never mentioned as a ground for non-participation. On the contrary, our government expressed itself as being in agreement "with the general aims of the proposed treaty" and, in our final response to the invitation to join NATO, the government asserted that partition was "the sole obstacle to Ireland's participation in the Atlantic Pact".

The truth is that our failure to join an alliance of which we strongly approved was an accidental and unintended outcome of the failure of an ill-judged attempt by the foreign minister, Sean MacBride, who only a dozen years earlier had been chief-of-staff of the IRA, to blackmail Britain into handing over Northern Ireland against the wishes of a majority of its population. This was to be in return for what MacBride erroneously believed to be crucially important bases on our territory.

MacBride's disappointment at the failure of this plot, which left us outside the military alliance against the Soviet threat was such that a year later he was involved in a failed attempt to negotiate a bilateral military alliance with the United States. Thus, what some later came to regard as our "traditional neutrality" was in fact an unintended historical accident.

On EEC/EU Defence

The third myth about our neutrality relates to the issue of European defence. There is a widespread illusion that our "traditional neutrality" led Irish governments to refuse to contemplate involvement in European defence. But the direct opposite is the case.

From the time we first contemplated EC membership, our government made it clear that we were willing to participate in European defence, and that the neutrality issue was not an obstacle.

As early as December 1960, six months before we first sought accession to the EC, Sean Lemass, who had no time for myths and shibboleths, stated bluntly: "There is no neutrality, and we are not neutral." And in 1962 he made it clear that "NATO is necessary for the defence of the countries of western Europe, including this country. Although we are not members of NATO, we are in full agreement with its aims."

Subsequently he said Ireland recognised "that a military commitment will be an inevitable consequence of our joining the Common Market and ultimately we would be prepared to yield even the technical label of neutrality. We are prepared to go into this integrated Europe without any reservation as to how far this will take us in the field of foreign policy and defence".

When, six years after de Gaulle's veto on British and thus Irish accession, we renewed our application, this unambiguous stance on European defence was reiterated by Jack Lynch who said: "Ireland would be interested in the defence of the territories embraced by the communities. There is no question of neutrality there."

And so on.

Please do read the article as it's very informative and blows away the myth and fantasy about Irish Neutrality.

In summary

Thus, contrary to sedulously fostered myths, we were not neutral in the last World War; our absence from NATO has nothing to do with neutrality; and every Irish taoiseach from 1960 to the 1990s rejected the concept of neutrality and accepted eventual Irish participation in European defence.

In my view the use of this term "neutrality" to justify various forms of isolationism and opting out of moral responsibilities, as distinct from non-participation in NATO, is simply a cause and source of confusion, much of it deliberately generated.

• Advertisement

Gareth, who opted out morally on his own people...that Gareth? 😁😁

Whataboutism example 1,454

Honestly, Francie, do you ever have anything constructive to add to any debate, or are you happy to be the persistent fly on these boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

I know you're attempting to neatly side-step here. But I won't take your bait and switch tactics.

I think we can all understand why NATO backed America after the 9/11 attacks. Most people had huge sympathy for the innocent victims of those attacks. There was huge emotion and anger swirling around at that moment in time.

But we still have no idea whether the NATO alliance would trigger article 5 to defend a small nation like Ireland, if the consequences of that could potentially mean ww3.

And of course, if we're going to sign up for something that could see our sons and daughters being sent off to fight and die in some random war on the other side of the world, at the behest of someone like the USofA as leaders of NATO... it would be nice if the bedrock of that partnership was something a bit more concrete than a promise that has never actually been tested in practice.

I don't think smashing two poor middle east countries to pieces and killing millions of innocent people is a compelling sales pitch for the NATO project. But that's just me, perhaps you disagree?

(Afghanistan is currently on the brink of a famine right now btw, just in case you haven't been keeping abreast of the news)

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

My views are clear on NATO mark.

Constructive, not destructive as NATO and it's actions have persistently been as it's power base plays with geo-politics at the expense of many ordinary people's lives.

OK, so you revert to the now totally discredited pro-Putin propaganda talking points and soft Conspiracy Theories about NATO.

For someone who thinks murdering children for a political cause is justified, I guess the (horse)-shoe fits. So no surprise from yourself on that one.

Anything to say on the myth of Neutrality, as per the piece I linked or do you just want to drag the debate down your own little rats nest as per usual?

Yes, yes, yes.... you can stop peddling that nonsense on this thread. It has been done to death and you had a good go of it in the main Russia thread, which you got banned for. Let's leave out the 'USA/NATO is bad' Putin talking points or one may end up in similar position.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

So you've no answer to the effects of NATO's disastrous interventions, and how this might all be a negative selling point towards Ireland considering joining the alliance?

Or the fact that article 5 has never really been tested in the manner in which I outlined above?

Just deflect and ignore, eh? Fair enough, I'll leave you to it.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

Out come the lies now.

You cannot be serious that the shambles NATO etc left Afghanistan in is a conspiracy theory. Gawd, you have it bad tbh.

Reds under the bed now with the rest of your boogeymen and women

Article 5 was tested and enacted after 9/11. That is a fact.

Russia is not invading Poland, Romania or the Baltic states BECAUSE of NATO. Putin knows full well the consequences of such an action. Only an idiot or keyboard warrior like yourself would try and call that bluff. Easy to say stuff on the sidelines when there are no consequences.

NATO was not involved in Iraq by the way. You are very mistaken on how involved NATO was around the world.

The UN-mandated a mission to Afghanistan. We had Irish Defence personnel in Afghanistan. I am not sure what your point is, but there is a separate thread if people want to discuss the 'America is bad' angle. Have at it, unless you are banned from there as well.

Afghanistan had multiple organisations involved with it, including the UN. By your logic, the UN should disband and never enact another peacekeeping mission again?

But then you will argue that Ireland should keep the Triple-Lock, where the UN dictates Irish defence policy

However, then you will argue about how the Brits and Americans are just as bad as the Russians, yet you are happy that they all have a veto on Irish defence policy?

Basically, your only common denominator is that the argument of the day is something you will argue against, and tomorrow if it changes you will argue the other side of the coin.

Makes sense, given your tattered reputation on this site.

• Advertisement

You can be in an organisation and be critical of it mark.

NATO has played the geo-political games that it's main powers want to play. That is the criticism of it.

You can shout 'pro Putin' and introduce snide comments all you want, that criticism and the facts of history backing it up are not going to go away.

Again, rehashing pro-Russian and pro-Putin talking points about NATO leads one to think you are not arguing honestly in this debate.

We get it, you don't like NATO.

Do you have anything else to add, or are we going to have to suffer a Francie special, with a few more dozen inane posts from yourself?

I doan't like NATO for a reason.

You think anyone criticising it, is pro Putin.

And you dare suggest you are being genuine in this discussion.

Again, I am not the person rehashing pro-Russian and pro-Putin talking points that came right out of the Kremlin. You and your bedfellows are doing that.

I posted an article from 1999 from Gareth Fitzgerald about our myth of neutrality and you have some go about his 'morals'. A classic case of playing the man, not the message. In fact, you totally ignored the article and then started on about your rants about NATO.

So, yea, given your history and reputation you are not being truthful here and you are being utterly tedious to debate against. But that is your tactic, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't think anyone criticising NATO is pro-Putin, but I do think that your criticism is coming from a pro-Putin perspective.

Do you understand the difference?

So?

isn't this where you are supposed to back it up with me expressing a pro-Putin sentiment somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

@markodaly

We're at an impasse over your unwillingness to diffentiate between association/allignment/sympathy and belligerence.

Few would claim we are not sympathetic to and aligned with the West. Indeed, our neutrality in WW2 was biased, for the reasons you outlined and more. Nevertheless it remained neutrality.

The Red Cross definition is imperfect, in my view, as it is agenda driven. The agenda being to shame the states and industries that profit from armed conflict. I'm certain it was written with more consequential military/industrial players than Ireland in mind.

In any event, even within that dubious frame set out by the Red Cross, Ireland still qualifies as neutral. Arguably "non-neutral" acts don't strip an actor of neutrality.

One could, indeed, hear a more apolitical, accurate definition in the pub, depending on who was in it.

Military neutrality means non-belligerence in warfare. A continuing policy of which we have followed and will continue to follow despite current noise.

Lemass' comments, which you quote, were made more in a political/economic sense than the military sense, he was speaking on membership of the Common Market, not membership of NATO.

Spun remarks by past Taoisigh and IT opinion pieces aside, some facts remain:

The State has never participated as belligerent in a foreign war.

The State has never applied to join NATO.

No party has ever run (successfully, at least) on a manifesto that included a promise to join NATO and/or end our policy of military neutrality.

There has never been a public appetite to end our policy of military neutrality.

I'm quite proud of this. I believe it better than having our youth butchered in the effort of improving the position of one great, uncaring power bloc over another.

This entire question is another example of sentimentalism taking over discourse. People see a few images of crying Ukrainians and demand a small, (relatively) peaceful republic with a long history of moral and successful neutrality becomes the US Marine Corp.

Looking forward to terms being reached in Ukraine for many good reasons, the least and most trivial of which being it will end this facile posturing we have seen over our neutrality.

It really is another failed attempt by FG (predominantly, as they sent the troops out on the airwaves to talk about it) to capture the zeitgeist. They are at it all the time and it spectacularly bombs, so out of touch are they.

Varadkar, attempting to blame the state of the defence forces on 'Irish people thinking someone else would rescue them' was not missed either. Wouldn't it be lovely to have a fall guy for swingeing government cuts.,

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The "I'm alright Jack" mentality aligned with the exclusionary nationalist position that anything the British do is wrong are the only things that have prevented us from joining NATO. You are probably right that a majority of the population would hold onto this, but isn't it more than a little cowardly that we leave our friends and neighbours not only to defend themselves, but to defend us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Advertisement