Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Russia look to be losing?

The difference between reluctant Russian boots on the ground versus those valiantly defending their own land is huge.

Not even sure how much Russian High command are motivated beyond not being invited to tea by Putin.

'Retarded thinking' is a perfectly fine / non pejorative description. This isn't modding - more of an English lesson 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

A bad 24 hours for the Russian military by all accounts. Negotiations are becoming "more realistic" - Zelenskiy.

Are we seeing an endgame here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You can't compare boat loads of 20 year old men landing in Italy and camping in France because they want to get in to the UK with women and children. Women and children that are leaving their husband's behind and any I've seen are crying. Most are content with going to the nearest point of safety. Not where they want to. Most without question want to go home..economic migrant is a different debate which I'm not entering but they're not the same

• Advertisement

Russia has always tried to control eastern Ukraine especially because it fears that an eastward moving army would zip across the flat topography to Astrakahn and in so doing deprive Russia of access to:

1) the Black Sea and Caspian Sea, wrecking its ability to trade

2) much of the southern half of the Volga

3) its most fertile agricultural region, vital to feeding its people given the harsh climate and short to non-existent growing season in most of the rest of the country.

4) The Caucuses

This is precisely why the Wehrmacht made a bee-line for Volgograd and scouted to within 100km of Astrakhan and defined its easternmost objective as Astrakhan on the Arkhangelsk-Astrakhan line, west of which which live 85% of the Russian people. Putin is a psychopath and Russia must pay for its crimes and barbarity in Ukraine, but it's not like Russia has nothing to fear from the idea of western militaries based in Ukraine, especially southern and eastern Ukraine. Within living memory an alliance of western powers tried to exterminate them. In the Russian psyche, that stuff looms large.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Latest UK MoD observations. Makes increasingly poor reading for Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Being there is talk Poland , Czechs and Solvians considering sending troops,I don't think they would need Nato permission to enter Ukraine especially if they are invited to by Zelenskyy ,as technically it wouldn't be a Nato action and article 5 would still be available to them should Russia attack Poland and the Czechs and Solvians outside of Ukraines borders

Not on their own but all about squeezing them more and more and any further pressure on Putin is a good thing. Zelenskiy's statement that they may not join NATO is a more useful signal to negotiations. Given how things are going militarily for Russia there may be more interest now in squirming a way out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

And Estonia's parliament has called for NATO to establish a no fly zone.

Just a minor point - The Estonian parliament want the UN to establish a no fly zone, not NATO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I’d say Poland can see the frontline is in Ukraine and is stalled there. The best way to defend your country is to fortify the front line when it is in a neighbouring country.

If the French and British had got Belgian/Dutch permission to enter Benelux countries and station large numbers of troops there prior to May 1940 they could have stalled the German invasion much further back and perhaps repeated the stalemate of world war 1 and avoided the collapse of France.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

At some point, isn't all that mud going to harden and the Russians will be able to maneuver off road? I'm hoping that it's some weeks away still as it's really helping the Ukrainian defences to have the attackers confined to radial tributaries.

I disagree. If Poland attacks Russian troops and Russia enters Poland, then no obligation on NATO to come to Poland defence. That was my understanding of reading up on Article 5 some time ago.

Yeah, the end of winter is 2-4 weeks away. Around Kyiv they seem to have a lot of bog and marshland and Ukraine control the bridges in. There's also a question as to whether Russia can even mount a full assault.

Agreed, and Poland might be able to make a huge difference in the war in Ukraine. They risk being on their own though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I’ve no idea what point either of you are trying to make and it’s relevance to the ‘special military mission’…?

Of course you don't, you got wound up by the use of "retarded", don't understand the context explained above, want to appeal to authority with your outrage and it's the only reason for your post. The biggest war and human displacement in European history since WW2 and that's what engaged you to post?

Not much more than a decade ago you could find the word and used pejoratively with it, front and centre in a mainstream Hollywood flic. Which in turn became a worldwide meme. Now it's a trigger word for the triggered and a similar inclusion in a flic today would have the Twitterati all a twitter. If I had written moronic or imbecilic or idiotic, even pejoratively, I doubt you'd have posted, or even noticed. Just like retarded all words once used as medical classifications of intellectual impairment and used more often and just as pejoratively, but nope we've decided in the last ten years that retarded is the Bad Word.

It's actually quite a good example of how easily influenced and revved up we can be by culture and context and how personal and cultural narratives are built and spread in societies which has a wider relevance to this conflict too. It's one of the big ways hardline positions grow and are reinforced and autocratic societies use that basic human nature for their own ends. When "don't go full retard" was in a mainstream flic, your average Russian would have seen your average Ukrainian as "brothers" and that was the Truth that suited the Kremlin. Cue changing geopolitical and economic needs in the Kremlin to change that Truth and slowly but surely they became "nazis" that required invasion and after the initial spin to promote that the human nature of large groups reinforced it themselves. Spin in paranoia in an already paranoid enough society and it's remarkably and scarily easy to turn brother against brother and appeal to authority to help you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

They could have taken it from captured or dead Ukrainian soldiers like they did in Georgia 2008,or this is probably a special forces unit spetznas that are better equipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭html6

Putin better stop this war. Don't think the Russian winter will stop the Germans this time round.

Does this mean Germany are now the worlds second or third largest army?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Russia can only bomb Poland at the moment. Poland has a choice take bombing now with soldiers and fighting in Ukraine. Or do nothing now and take bombing and soldiers shooting in their country in a few months time. Of course that’s just looking at things from the polish perspective.

• Advertisement

Pinch of salt required with all such announcements but interesting nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

A dumb, slumbering beast has been confounded by bravery, intelligence, ingenuity, integrity & co-ordination

Thank God Ukraine was given the means to defend itself

Putin deserves everything he gets if neighbouring nations decide to put the boot in. He has, for the time being, destroyed Russia

The West have been too concerned with staying exactly on the line between doing enough and not doing enough but that strategy may be achieving the desired result

Should Russia now be de-fanged if possible? - A resounding YES!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

Looked at two of Natasha’s utubes. The Russia she presents looks so peaceful, attractive very earthy , etc, etc, etc, etc. comes across as a. Idyllic place to live in - especially if you have a little hideaway to go to at weekends, the summer breaks, etc. I saw another tube where a man was driving thru lovely countryside and along a good looking country road. He was goin to sow potatoes for his father , married sister or whoever. The sun was shining. Family members were shown making the drills, spreading ash on the drills , positioning the potatoe seeds and covering them up. Good local food was served for mealtime . Children were happy looking with parents, relatives , friends doting on them. It all looked so seamless, peaceful, earthy, high social /community content, etc, etc. in other words a lovely country to live in

I was just wondering if this kind of presentation SUPPORTED by government to show that the regime in Russia is the right one to live under as against under a democracy with criminals , drugs, strikes poverty, homelessness, etc, etc.

I wonder if there are any utubes available from other Russians highlighting the not so nice side of life in Russia? Maybe such a side does not exist in Russia

Russia denuclearised and allowed join NATO would do wonders for world peace. Obviously Putin gets a one way ticket to The Hague.

Sanctions continue until...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have never really considered the cold war to be over, just that the west were badly fooled and never seemed to catch on to them using slightly different tactics. Two nasty leopards that didn't change their spots, they just put on business suits.

The head of Interpol is currently headed by a Chinese, which is just incomprehensible to my old cold war sensibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

Sometimes the truth has to be repeated a few times before it sinks in. Based on the ideology that the USSR was based on where all workers were on similar wages - workers on state farms and suchlike -. So how come we end up with a good few very rich people including oligarks. IMO such people were only allowed to exist /get very wealthy if they had the BLESSING of the TOP. Hence a good relationship had to exist. And that blessing was bestowed by more than the exchange of ‘a certificate’

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Quite few of the recent videos of Russian forces in Ukraine seem to now be better equipped and clothed. This seems to support the suggestion that Putin sent in more poorly equipped conscripts at the start of the invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The circumstances that would have to occur for Russia to join NATO are unimaginably unlikely, but even if it were to happen, it would 100% guarantee a war with China.

I don't think that would do wonders for world peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

The west always projects their morals & values onto others. "They're just like us"..."They want freedom like we do" - that's always been complete bullshit. We made China what it is today with our stupid policies. And we're repeating the same mistake now with Iran.

I get on well with my Chinese neighbour. He told me he can't believe that his younger generation are quite happy with the CCP. People he knows who used to protest, now seem content. The economic wealth WE gave China, has made a dictatorial regime into a monster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Get out of the Cities, travel around the Country, the rural areas,,,,,,and you will see the another side of Russia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement