Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

BTW, are there any inexpensive portable electric storage heaters on the market? Is there such a thing?

Can't seem to find any in my limited research so far.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I have heard good things about the infrared panel heaters too, Although they might not be classed as inexpensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭connesha

Couldn't find any either @6 Spent a little while looking this morning, but anything I wanted was towards 1k. Adverts have a couple I think.

Lots of heaters available that give heat out immediately, but the storage type do seem to cost more.

I did get lucky this afternoon and came on a normal fixed storage heater, 2.15kw, for free. The wall/floor mounted type. Will be a project for a couple of the evenings this week hooking into the Eddi. Not sure how good or useless this will all turn out to be, but will give it a go and see.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Saw 400W frost protector heater in the local electrical wholesalers for €10. A few of them around the house might be capable of keeping temperature regulated if reasonably insulation house.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

ALM,

You might be able to shine some light on this please... for some reason last night had issues with scheduling Zappi, tried 6 or 7 times. Everytime I set time to come on from say 11 to 12, then i would see timer was set, then I would set it to eco or fast (the charger would immediately start charging car) ? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

You want to use Eco+ mode. Fast will draw the max it can whether from the grid or solar at the top rate the EV will take, generally 7kW. Eco will adjust the power but if the solar output falls below 1.4kW then it will switch to the grid and continue charger until the car is fully charged.

These are the settings I use and it has never failed to charge at the set times. (I have removed the schedule entirely as I just charge from solar at this time of year)

Cheers alm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭irishchris

Switched the new array on yesterday and with it being late hadn't noticed that the grid limiting export wasn't on. Had a look at myenergi this morning and got stuck when saw this. Immediately set the export limit to 6kw and going to invest in few more thermal electric radiator panels to hear house when there is so much production. Looking forward to my battery packs hopefully making it here in foreseeable from China

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Something wrong with either the CT Clamps or the MyEnergi configuration. You cannot be generating 3.3kW and be exporting 7kW

Post edited by championc on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Could be possible if the myenergie doesn't "see" the other inverters

@irishchris you can put more than 1 wire in the CT's eg if you put all the ac inverter wires in the ct it will measure all the power

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I see micro glitches like this on the myEnergi app the whole time, a few seconds later they correct, e.g. the house is showing zero load in the screenprint too

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

ALM

Had another mess around this evening.

1. My settings are nearly the same as yours above 👍

2. So for me when I have it on eco +scheduled -- starts charging 6/7kw. It draws roughly 5 from batteries and 2 from grid.

Is yours the shame?

If this is the case for me, example - my wife wants to charge car up to 100% for the next day.

That means I will have car charge come on from 1 to 5am and also the invertor to charge batteries so they are not dead when I get up the following day..maybe I'm missing something?

Cheers for any advice.

Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Myenergi cannot see your batteries if they're attached to a hybrid inverter, i.e. you cannot set the priority between the zappi/battery charge/discharge without independently changing settings on both.

If you want to run your Zappi in anything other than Eco+ mode (eco, fast, scheduled boost) and not drain your battery, you need to set your inverter to not discharge the battery. I'm not sure why you'd want to do this, besides the small loss in the back and forth conversion of the energy you still end up using the same amount at the end of the day.

You can charge both your car and batteries over night if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Shifted over a few comments from the daily generation thread.

No it is correct figure, it's just the myEnergi doesn't see the other inverter as just clamp on one of the inverters live cable.

That's exactly it Graeme.

Unfortunately the second inverter is in a separate mini board next to the main consumer unit so can't use same clamp but fairly sure I did buy an extra CT for this now that you mention it. Will have a look around tomorrow and see if can find it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Bill comparison time......

2021: 13th Jan - 9th March (56 days) (rates*: Day:€0.1871 - Night: €0.0924) ::: €266.32

Day usage: 613 kWh Night usage: 1,004 kWh

2022: 15th Jan - 14th March (59 days) (rates*: Day:€0.2255 - Night: €0.1113) ::: €204.03

Day usage: 124 kWh Night usage: 1,031 kWh

*pre discount rates - EI online/direct debit etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Picked one of these up in Woodies to use up a bit of excess.

Would keep an office or bedroom ticking over. Adjustable fan and temp setting.

I was thinking about an electric hob to use during the summer when cooking, as our current hob is gas... something along the lines of this...

• Advertisement

While the "boss" will always look at the financial bottom line, the real message here is your drop in daytime UNITS, from 613 down to 124.

yeah, and without a huge increase on the night usage either.. which is my next target now to reduce, with more and more excess going into the car meaning when it does get plugged in for a night charge, it either doesn't need as much, or is night charged less frequently.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

Got a couple of Russell Hobs versions of them on Amazon when on offer and find them ok for around a small office or bedroom, I keep a close eye on them when using though in case of overheating.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Are they noisy? Or are they just heating rather than heat & fan?

I got a ceramic heater, 2kW, which heats well but is very noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

The ones I got are relatively quiet, there is a noise from the fan but it would be ok if not trying to sleep beside it. I got mine because they only use 500w so can use a couple in smaller rooms without wasting to much power.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Hi guys,

I just set up the solarman app, it's only showing production, how do I see grid and consumption usage also? Thanks

Have you got a hybrid inverter? Usually only hybrids have the CT clamp required to detect grid and consumption.

And if it is a Hybrid, you need to setup the "Plant Type" as Storage System or similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Hi there, please excuse if my questions are basic, I renovated house in 2007, at the time we put 7.3sqm evacuated tubes onto the roof (2 banks side by side), and this is used to heat hot water in a circ 1000l tank, and used for DHW. This is great as from about now till Oct we have no gas bill for heating water, showers etc. but was wondering given how technology has come one and Solar PV panels nowadays can provide electricity and excess diverted to heat hot water, is if a difficult thing to do to replace the tubes with PV panels of combine the two.

The heating system is gas, with UFH downstairs and Rads upstairs, but boiler needs to be changed, and may look at a HP depending on what additional work is required v's costs v's benefits.

The roof where the tubes are is South facing, I dont know how much space there is left at the moment, but suppose wondering what peoples thoughts are on this, as an FYI our Gas for heating we use 11Kwh and Electricity circ 5000 Kwh for a 4 bed semi-D circ 1800 Sqft.

if you had this set-up, would you consider Solar PV, what to do with the existing panels, we may get an EV in the next 12mts so electricity usage could go up. I want to see what thoughts are before I contact installers, as they have an agenda to sell, which is fair enough, but want to see whats best for us given our existing set-up, usage etc.

Advertisement