Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021-22 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This.

What a clown! Like an ould lad at a junior GAA match, roaring at the ref.

He shouldn't be anywhere near the field. What's even his roll there?? Emblematic of how poorly that club is being ran-fuckin hilarious.

In other news, big win for Benfica in Amsterdam!

You would do well to find a small Percentage of united fans who were happy with the Jan transfer window.

You have the weirdest posting style where you take things a lot of fnas are giving out and making it seem like you see. The bigger picture its honestly wierd.

This thread is hilarious people are either replying to stuff they see elsewhere or making stuff up In there heads about what fans think.

It is meant to be a discussion board seems to have turned into people's personal diaries

He is doing the video Analysis as far as I know,. Something I think Carrick. Was doing before he left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Darragh Maloneys biased commentary was embarrassing, he couldn’t handle Atletico winning at all, it was hilarious listening to his sour grapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I genuinely thought you were talking about Whelan. I've become accustomed to his petulant anti-Liverpool bias but his pro-Utd stance is going to take some getting used to. Some of his commentary was borderline delusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,278 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya anyone wanting a player like Martial as some form of hero from the bench is in cloud cuckoo land. The lad has never really done it at UTD and the majority of their fans were happy for him to go. Part of that posters French football fetish it seems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

This is the 2nd similar post by you.

Kindly don'tpresume to tell posters what this thread 'is meant to be' as it can be seen as Backseat Moderation.

Any issues, please P.M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not really sure what the difference is in model between Liverpool and Madrid to be honest.

I was just talking about clubs who took too long to admit they had a serious problem and needed a patient rebuild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

2 wins in the CL knockout games for Man Utd since the 2011 final.

Olympiakos in 13/14, after losing the first leg.

PSG in 18/19, after losing the first leg.

Haven't won any other knockout ties, home or away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

I didn't realise it was that bad thats embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I can’t stand RTE sports coverage these days. The days of Bill and Brady Giles and Dunphy are missed. Dreadful coverage, punditry and presentation. I actually turn it over when the analysis is on.

Punditry was actually very good last night. Both of them sounded like they actually read up on the non English team and watch a bit of European football.

The old lads were great fun but it was like they never heard of football outside England and in their later years were completely phoning in any match that didn't involve the Irish or English (And yes I am including the guy who played in Italy over 30 years ago in that criticism)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I've noticed this on Liverpool's games. Did Ronnie fall out with club over the years or what is the reason for the attitude against them? I'd imagine he would still be considered a club legend among fans over in Liverpool.

There was some issue with him not signing a new contract in 1991(?) with the contract offer later being rescinded when he wanted to sign it at a later date.

He's incredibly bitter towards Liverpool now and I hate when he is on Liverpool's games and he ruins them.

Dido is actually a decent pundit, especially by RTÉ standards. Lisa Fallon is actually probably the best on the home channels, has a good understanding of the game. Meadow I always found shallow enough, maybe she's improving, I haven't seen her recently.

The punditry in general is poor, just vacuous stuff to fill the space between ads. The British channels have gone down the route of ex United and Liverpool players analysing their own former clubs, which is great for the LOL's, the social media clicks, and the bantz if that's your thing. It's low brow stuff though, only adds heat and not light, and I find is best avoided.

Boil the kettle and make a nice cuppa and come back after the 15 minutes are up, you'll not be any the wiser watching these so called experts.

Most ot the UK TV pundits and a fair few of the Irish ones don't say anything the average soccer fan would not have spotted themselves already. Most of in now in the UK is just clickbait where they try goad Roy or Neville into saying something angry to Carragher or vice versa.

Come the next world cup how many pundits could give us a good run down on a little known up and coming talent from one of the less obvious countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Didi was good last night, he rightly said that Utd dont have the players to play a pressing game like Ragnick prefers.

Too many old players. He didnt seem to rate Ragnick as a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hes so two faced, he's on the club channel then constantly with a totally different tone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The Whelans are friends of the family , His old man was a really good mate of my Da's

Your 100% correct Ronnie's problems stem from the contract issues, which by the way was really bad form from the club,

But he is poison to listen to , He always sticks to an agenda he has instead of calling it as its happing ,

If he has his mind made up on a player he will spend all day bending every incident to fit his narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

This.....you can only laugh sometimes, if said players scores a hatrick of absolute world class goals he will just go on about the poor defending to allow each goal. It kills him to give even the faintest bit of praise! He just comes across as been totally bitter about life in general.

He certainly sounds like a man who hates his job. Has absolutely zero enthusiasm when he is commentating. Just moans and moans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Beautiful equalising goal for Chelsea there. Should go through okay now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Yeah. Been a shite game so far.

The penalty had made the tie interesting for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Shove that up your arse agnelli along with your super league, delighted for villareal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bloody hell, just saw the score - did Juve just completely capitulate in the last 15 minutes?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Round of 16 Results

FC Bayern München (GER) 7 V 1 FC Salzburg (AUT) - (Agg 8-2)

Liverpool FC (ENG) 0 V 1 FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) - (Agg 2-1)

Manchester City (ENG) 0 V 0 Sporting Club De Portugal (POR) - (Agg 5-0)

Real Madrid CF (ESP) 3 V 1 Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - (Agg 3-2)

AFC Ajax (NED) 0 V 1 SL Benfica (POR) - (Agg 2-3)

Manchester United FC (ENG) 0 V 1 Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) - (Agg 1-2)

Juventus (ITA) 0 V 3 Villarreal CF (ESP) - (Agg 1-4)

LOSC Lille (FRA) 1 V 2 Chelsea FC (ENG) - (Agg 1-4)

Quarter-Final Line up

FC Bayern München (GER)

Liverpool FC (ENG)

Manchester City (ENG)

Real Madrid CF (ESP)

Chelsea FC (ENG)

Villarreal CF (ESP)

Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)

SL Benfica (POR)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I just saw the last 15 and they were shocking. Seems like they downed tools at the end as Villareal could have scored more with their counters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Is Richard Dunne OK? Hes on virgin tonight, he looks like he's suffered a bit

Meet him before, a gentleman, built like a tank

Lol, Juve hahaha.

There are some who would tell you they are a massive, European Club. Perrenial also rans, only 2 European Cup wins in their history, and one of them should never have been played (Heysel).

Massive underachievers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Danjuma is having some season. Only concern with him is injuries as he missed a few months recently. Hope he can stay fit as he looks like he could play for the top clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Strange week results wise, the 4 group winners, Manchester Utd, Ajax, Lille and Juventus were all knocked out.

Last week all the group winners won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Disappointed to see Ajax go out, deserved to go through. They were the best footballing unit left.

Atleti should be looking to win this now with renewed confidence, with Griezmann out to prove hes the classiest/best striker in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Can't see Atlético getting through the next round unless they draw Villarreal or Benfica. Liverpool have already beaten them twice to start with. Chelsea, Real, City and Bayern will be too much for them also I imagine. Man Utd had plenty of chances against them too but their defence is awful right now so Atlético got their goal and spent the rest of the game rolling around on the grass. Utterly hateful team. Never thought I'd want Utd to go through but after watching that crap for 5 minutes and the ref buying everything, I was praying they'd get knocked out.

They aren't the team they were, but with the bit between their teeth, and in two legged knock out football, they're exceptionally hard to break down and beat. Missed Griezmann the last few years as their outlet up front, complemented how they played.

I'd put no bearing on their Liverpool games, they did them over two legs not so long ago. They'll grind down anyone left I think, drag it into the mire of awful football, and pick whoever off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I 100% guarantee AM will not win the CL this year. You and your mad notions are ridiculous.

Quarter-Final Draw

Chelsea FC (ENG) V Real Madrid CF (ESP)

Manchester City (ENG) V Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)

Villarreal CF (ESP) V FC Bayern München (GER)

SL Benfica (POR) V Liverpool FC (ENG)

• Advertisement

Semi-Final Draw

Manchester City (ENG)/Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) V Chelsea FC (ENG)/Real Madrid CF (ESP)

SL Benfica (POR)/Liverpool FC (ENG) V Villarreal CF (ESP)/FC Bayern München (GER)

Would love to see Atleti shthouse their way past City but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Most likely we are saying goodbye to Madrid in the QF which means an English team in the final and probably an all English final sadly.

Quarter-Finals 1st Legs

Tuesday April 5th

Manchester City (ENG) V Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) - Live on BT Sport 2

SL Benfica (POR) V Liverpool FC (ENG) - Live on BT Sport 3 / RTE 2

Wednesday April 6th

Chelsea FC (ENG) V Real Madrid CF (ESP) - Live on BT Sport 2 / Virgin Media Two

Villarreal CF (ESP) V FC Bayern München (GER) - Live on BT Sport 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I really think at quarters stage all games should be on different times. Maybe 6 and 8

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Man City v Bayern Munich final I reckon.

Hopefully Atleti do a job on City and strangle the life out of them. The standard of defensive orientated teams in recent years has gone way back. Guardiola outside Barca simply isn't and shouldn't be good enough to win a Champions League. With the regression of good defensive teams though, City winning the Champions League would be a poor validation for his system and style of play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Cringe time with Ronnie Whelan coming up ?

Majority of Liverpool fans haven't even got into the stadium yet.

Our situation is probably worse as we have to listen to Ronnie Whelan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Benfica manager Nelson Verissimo....getting CM 01/02 flashbacks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement