Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

I think it's pretty clear. The Russians most likely aren't going to go into Kiev. Instead they will blockade the city and cut off all of the entry roads as well as cutting off power so ultimately it doesn't matter how many ammo dumps or traps the Ukrainians have set up the Russians will simply starve them into surrendering. It's a brutal but effective tactic that doesn't risk your own soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

You could be right but in that case - the Ukrainians in Kyiv will certainly be able to attack the surrounded Russians on a daily basis. In terms of Power

in terms of Communication

Coordinating attacks with Ukrainian military units outside the city will be effective. And the Russians on the outskirts of the city will be badly isolated. Their already stretched supply lines will be dire at that stage. And that doesnt even touch on irregular warfare surely to be employed against them

Listen i agree the situation is Terrible. And arguably dire for Ukraine. But its not hopeless - not by a long shot - and yes maybe that is my heart over ruling my head - but il take it

In terms of discussing this, i am happy to do so with the caveats that - not an expert etc - I read a lot, most IR graduates are fiends for military history - that said if mods prefer we stick to the political situation - i respectfully yield. Also goes without saying that anyone with military expertise can offer more information than i ever could

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Without wanting to take over chatting RE the military situation - from British MOD

Like i said - definitely not hopeless

On the Odessa Situation - i was away from this for 2 hours - has anyone any word on the naval situation RE Odessa, and possible landings?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

OT comment : "most IR graduates are fiends for military history" - sadly that is a minority amongst most history grads, but still the more the merrier from my PoV :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This could be an important discussion going forward ,we already know Russia won't allow UN peace keepers , wonder how they would feel about peace enforcement being deployed to ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@[Deleted User] -  the Russians will simply starve them into surrendering. It's a brutal but effective tactic that doesn't risk your own soldiers.

I believe it wont come to that. There are likely over a million people - both soldiers and civilians - within the confines of the city, and I really cant see the whole world standing by much longer and letting a scenario like that play out. A terrible death from starvation and thirst for that huge amount of people is unimaginable, and akin to the horrors of nazi concentration camps. I would imagine that if not Nato or the USA stepping in, then you'll find that perhaps Poland or a few of the Baltic states will decide enough is enough and join the fray.

I still have a feeling that this will conclude with some sort of diplomatic solution. The West want it to end, and Putin simply wont be able to maintain momentum much longer judging by his military efforts to date... and of course the noose that is tightening around him with crippling sanctions. The war chest cannot be replenished.

There still remains the possibility, however slight, of Putin being taken out by his own - certainly the longer this goes on then the odds increase proportionately. Or of course we could all be totally wrong and he'll bring about armageddon. It Hitler would have had nuclear weapons I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that he would have used them, and Putin does seem to be cut from the same cloth.

Really! Thats interesting. I think so much of our lectures were on the various crises that took place - which led to treaties and the formulation of International Rules and laws - along with International Organizations (ww1, and 2 - great power politics etc) . We always found ourselves fascinated by the battles and campaigns of the past - of course its all very disturbing that any of this should be of interest now - But its interesting i would have imagined the history dept would have had a fair share of Military historians and amateur strategists! Genuinely btw!

The amazing thing about Russia pulling forces in from all over makes it more likely that break-away regions will start to act out. This could suddenly flare up into an existential war for Russia. i don't follow the various separatist regions closely but if Moscow removes the army from these places it stands to reason they might find it harder to get them back in there too.

Putin might currently be favouring a long siege of battering Kiev to dust but it looks like he may not have the time to do that either.

I don't think he's a fool but ruling over the ashes of the Ukraine while the rest of Russia starts to burn is a foolish policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Putin may be glad to allow UN peacekeepers into Ukraine yet. I can’t see a scenario, post conflict, where peacekeepers are not necessary.

The question is where will these peacekeepers come from. What country’s peacekeepers would be acceptable to both sides?

If UN peacekeepers are deployed to Ukraine is just the host country’s consent required or also the consent of the country claiming that state’s territory?

India and Pakistan are among the largest providers of troops to peace keeping missions. Both have been supportive of Russia so may be unacceptable to Ukraine.

Perhaps personnel from African or South American countries could be acceptable.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Even if it garners information that saves multiple innocent lives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,536 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But I've heard they simply don't have the numbers to encircle Kyiv and to cut it off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If that's true then there has to be questions forming in Moscow as to the value of this "special operation". It truly is becoming a Sunk Cost fallacy writ large. Pulling forces from other fronts and security priorities does not imply a gloriously successful campaign thus far and may be endangering other parts of Russia if dissidents decide now is the time to strike. One would wonder if the CIA might like to send some slushfunds the way of Chechen rebels and whatnot.

Cutting one's losses and making it about those separatist regions in Ukraine (remember those? Moscow apparently doesn't) would surely be the smart play now. Putin has ballsed up. But hey, god help us from the vanity and stubbornness of powerful old men.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Nordner

I see Zalensky has finally admitted that Ukraine cannot join NATO. If he had done that publicly a couple of months ago this whole mess could have been avoided.

Russia are wrong in what they have done, obviously, and Putin is a kleptoctatic dictator. However, you have to admit that their concerns of having another NATO member, armed to the teeth, on their border, is a legitimate concern for the Russians.

NATO have to take some of the blame for this war as well as Putin. Both sides using the Ukranian people as pawns in wider geopolitical chess game.

I hope the war is ended asap and that Ukraine are able to rebuild what remains of their country with assistance from Moscow, Brussels and Washington. All working together to ensure that they become a peaceful, prosperous and Neutral nation. Crimea is lost to them and Eastern Ukraine will also be subsumed into Russia.

I do not have a hard on for Putin btw, but nor am I under any illusions that Boris, Biden and co are any better. They just talk nicer while they directly or indirectly butcher people around the world.

The lack of any balance in western media coverage has been disgusting as well. Rachel Maddow saying Putin is worse than Hitler because, whatever else Hitler did, he did not kill German speakers or Ethnic Germans! You can google her tweet if u like.

She appears to be saying that German, or german speaking, Austrian, Swiss or Checezlovakian Jews, Gypsies, Gays or Jehovah's Witnesses were not legitimately German?

So, defending Hitler and undermining the humanity of victims of Nazi attrocities is now a liberal position? Orwellian is an understatement....

But there you go, I will be branded a Putin apologist and traitor to western ideals for pointing that out....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The only one with any real separatist ambitions would be chechnya, of which all their military aged men are actively fighting in Ukraine on Russias behalf. Very unlikely to see anything happen there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This was never just about NATO.

If it was just about an 'armed to the teeth' Ukraine, what offensive weapons systems were deployed in Ukraine could have been negotiated at a NATO Russia summit - alongside say, stationing of similar weapons in Kalingrad and Baltic states. One was planned. But Putin massed troops on the border instead. Maybe because if it got those guarantees at the summit, he wouldn't have the excuse he wanted to invade.

They wanted to demilitarize Ukraine - not just keep it out of NATO. So it could never oppose Russia again should it do anything Russia didn't approve of, Russia would be back.

They wanted to keep it out of all blocs - that includes the EU.

They tried to take out the democratic government in Kiev and install a puppet, so they could bring Ukraine back into the corrupt mess it was trying to evolve out of. Like a bigger Belarus with more things worth stealing.

They wanted to size a large area of Ukraine, an area the people have already voted to stay Ukranian - not just the areas they already detabilised with their little green men.

Oh and look, therte's added whataboutery entirely irrelevent to the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Because you couldn't not leave that out, could you?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is an aside, but it's well documented now that torture and threats are considerably less effective at obtaining intel, than treating prisoners well. 99.99% of people are not James Bond or Navy SEALs. They will tell you literally anything to stop torture or save themselves. Anything, regardless of whether it's true or not. They will tell their captors whatever it is they think they want to hear. People who have no actual intel, provide a lot of intel when they're being tortured.

Experience is that effectively befriending prisoners and gaining their trust leads to a lot more loose lips and revelations.

Onto the substantive point; it doesn't really matter if a combatant is an invader or a defender. If someone is captured the rules are pretty clear that you have to treat them with dignity and deliver them to your appropriate authorities as soon as you can. If this is just not possible, then you strip them of their weapons and you release them.

Your average Russian soldier has no interest in staging a daring escape and taking out a platoon of Ukrainians to flee back to Russia. He'll be delivered to a prison where he gets fed and watered, gets to spend time with some other Russians, and then eventually will be released to go home when the war is over. That's a lot more appealing than having to get up every morning wondering if you're going to get shot in the head by a sniper today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I see Zalensky has finally admitted that Ukraine cannot join NATO. If he had done that publicly a couple of months ago this whole mess could have been avoided.

Indeed - that is why the Russians are immediately demobilizing and leaving 🙄

You forget that they would still have had to "denazify" the Kyiv government. NATO have to take zero blame here - the reality remains that Ukraine were nowhere close to joining NATO, NATO are already on Russia's border and conquering Ukraine simply puts even more NATO on their defacto border. Its an idiotic argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

However, you have to admit that their concerns of having another NATO member, armed to the teeth, on their border, is a legitimate concern for the Russians.

Well no, you don't have to admit that. It is a concern, but not a legitimate one.

Any road, this talk of neutrality and non-alignment is a way to get Russia to piss off in reality. Nobody is stupid enough to think that this is about NATO for Putin. Even if he backs out this time, he'll come back for another bite of the cherry again.

Ukraine will begin its own military build-up with a "neutral" status, in the same way that Switzerland & Finland do it, and then when they decide to align with NATO or the EU again, Russia will have basically no choice. Russia has gotten more than bloody nose from this campaign, Ukraine has proven that with sufficient preparation they can be too big for Russia to bully next time. Russia doesn't have the military capability to stop Ukraine from building up its armies.

A substantially weakened Russia in a decade might even see Ukraine take back Crimea and the east.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I doubt this was ever about NATO. Fossil fuel supplies would be one thing but Putin is more afraid of the EU. Having a prosperous ukraine next door would look bad and would also be a massive security risk as it puts their naval bases in the Crimea at risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah but there still has to be some form of guarantee of Ukraine's future security to ensure what is happening now is never repeated. I struggle to see how such a guarantee could satisfy Zelensky if it was not ultimately underwritten by the United States/The West/NATO. Putin crossing his heart and hoping to die that he'll never do it again clearly won't cut it at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭yagan

The question is if Russia implodes, which is looking increasingly likely then what happens to NATO?

After the Iraq war and two wasted decades in Afghanistan it's far more likely that EU members will be unified in a beefed up defensive alliance that isn't an extension of US foreign policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Have you a list of verified war crimes perpetrated by the Azov battalion in this war? Do you have names of perpetrators that can be reliably attached to those war crimes?

Show us your exhaustive list backed up by credible links, and we will certainly condem any genuine atrocities.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

Some kind of guarantee such as if they give up their nukes that US would protect them from Russia? (and vice versa)

lol. The whole Russia fiasco has shown one thing, and thats mutual defence promises are not worth very much when it comes down to it. Countries will find ways to wriggle out of having to go to war because of the nuclear deterrent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is worth noting, that in WW II, a very large number of allied POWs were continually attempting to escape, some succeeding. In contrast, the total number of German POWs that actually escaped was ONE - just one. He escaped from a POW camp in Canada, and made his way into the USA (prior to them joining Britain in late 1941 after Pearl Harbour).

His escape is chronicled in a book 'The One That Got Away'. He described how he was put in a cell with another German POW where he could see hidden microphones behind air vents, so they conversed by leaning out the window, then he thought it strange here was an open window - so he checked and found a microphone beside the window. He also catalogued the routine form the German POWs were asked to fill in - name, regiment, based in -, commanding officer, purpose of mission, etc. Of course all German POWs dutifully filled out the entire form - giving valuable intel to their captors. No need for torture.

it's far more likely that EU members will be unified in a beefed up defensive alliance that isn't an extension of US foreign policy.

If only - unfortunately there is far too much division in the EU to get any kind of cohesive defence capability. The bloc struggled to agree to economic sanctions, there is no way theyd get agreement for military action of any description, not under current setup.

The fuel crisis from sanctioning Russia will make EU far more reliant on US for LPG and oil, so will have an EU even more US aligned than previous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the EU will speed up its energy independence by use of renewables and reduce its dependence on fossil fuels. That has already been announced - hoping to stop buying Russian oil and gas ASAP.

Finland are now seriously considering joining NATO, with Sweden also thinking of joining. Even we might think about it.

The pandemic has made the EU more cohesive towards Public Health, which is not an EU competence - but it might become one. The same might happen to defence - but outside NATO.

[NATO has been very successful in getting NATO members to buy arms from USA suppliers, which the EU might not want to encourage.]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭yagan

The Ukraine shock for the EU will drive consumers more away from fossil fuel exporters.

The EU may have it's political fault lines, but it's consumers are unified in desiring to maintain their high standard of living.

The Trump years were a shock too which forced EU members to create workarounds to his Iran sanctions.

There will still be a very large dependence on fossil fuels for transport, Russians unfortunately supply more than just fossil fuels - big suppliers of various rare earths used in car manufacturing (combustion and electric). That compounded with the existing chip shortages will mean the EU (and most of the world) still dependent on petrol/diesel for the foreseeable.

• Advertisement

I think we were talking about this in CA perhaps - i think we agree that there will have to be a third party guarantee for any agreement on Ukraine sovereignty, or neutrality if that were included. The Guarantor needs to be able to deter further Russian aggression. In my hypothetical, i used Belgium pre ww1 as an analogy. Said state was guaranteed by Britain, France and Germany. Of course, this failed and WW1 took place. But of course Nuclear deterrence did not feature at the time. I would speculate that the third parties need to be able to fully deter Russia from further aggression. I note that some people speculated that NATO as a third party guarantor would be unacceptable to Russia. Accepting that for a moment, i run into a wall when i try to imagine any other 'bespoke bloc' that could form to fill this gap.

In Terns of Russia agreeing to any sort of 'backed up Neutrality', will they do so sooner rather than later? A lot depends on the soft power squeeze being inflicted on the Kremlin. Coupled with further Ukrainian resistance. So obviously hypothetical Chinese support for the Kremlin, would only serve to 'lessen the squeeze' - an unwelcome development should it occur.

Advertisement