Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Good twitter account showing the source of our energy generation every 24 hours

We should increase our renewables, but will still need the EXACT same amount of backup for when the renewables can't meet demand.

Currently our backup is gas. Some of our gas comes from Norway I thought via the UK. They have an agreement to prioritise the EU over the UK in the event of shortages (thank you Brexit). Not good for us as we're on the UK line and they'd be crafty enough to close that pipe. Like can ya see the UK going without gas and letting it pass through the UK over to us?

Battery storage is not financially viable yet. Ideally, every home would have solar panels or small turbines connected to batteries and the house runs from the batteries. They are topped up from the grid when required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Ah so more disaster movie scenarios

Might be best to stop taking what the IPCC have said and extrapolating that in your head to your personal end of the world fantasies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The smart grid dashboard used to be a lot better 5-10 years ago. They are after removing a lot of useful information & graphs from it

Looks like today is particularly dismal. If we had say, a jiggawatt or two of solar the renewable generation would be a far bigger chunk but we still wouldn't be out of the woods

• Registered Users Posts: 15,074 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Worse than dismal when you consider that hydro and biomass would make up the majority of that 7.7%

I was just wondering that. How many of our hydro electricity generation plants are running at capacity atm?

Shannon, Inniscara etc

• Advertisement

Not sure, but the breakdown for the 42% last year was 33.5% wind, 2.4% hydro, 2.4% biomass and 3.7% others, so on that figure of 7.7% most likely two thirds is from hydro and biomass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

You made a boo boo and instead of admitting it you went off on another rant. You thought the LNG plant in Shannon was going to allow Ireland to negotiate and buy LNG gas, when I pointed out a company owned it you suddenly decided Ireland should build our own, from your own post.

We build a LNG terminal, we source and pay for LNG to be delivered to said terminal, so who do you believe at that stage owns this LNG ?

You had no idea how much renewable we used till I gave you the link. You have provided nothing to back up your rants apart from a link to a German LNG build phase. When I provided details on it not been built till at least 2027 you rejected this off hand. You blame renewables for the high price of irish electricity but when I pointed out that we produce very little you just ignore. To explain, the price is high because we generate the majority from fossil fuel To quote you

We have been generating electricity using renewables and we are one of the most expensive in Europe for electricity because of a crazy pricing system beloved by the greens,

Pointing at Germany just proves how ridiculous and out of touch. Germany has a population of 83m people compared to Ireland 5m max. Which has a engineering and automotive industry which Ireland has none of.

But I am sure you will call me a "spoofer" again.

The one thing of course they don't have, which we do, is our own natural gas resources. Correction. Thats is - we will have at least until our present gas finds are finished. As the greens here took it on themselves to bury any potential extraction of natural gas forever.

Germany is also at the planning stage of building two liquefied natural gas terminals (mainly in an effort to reduce dependence on Russian gas) With our geniuses repeatedly axing every possible LNG terminal development here. And that's with us already at the end of the UK natural gas pipeline.

Eitherway competition for natural gas in Europe is going to go through the roof. As is the price. Things could get very interesting here I reckon.

Eitherway competition for natural gas in Europe is going to go through the roof. As is the price.

Sounds like a perfectly good reason to get it out of our energy mix.

Lets say we don't. Let's say we allow for more gas fields to be exploited off our coasts.

Kinsale gave us, 40 yrs of partial supply? Corrib will be about 15-20 (estimates vary).

What happens when it runs out, because it will run out as its not a sustainable fuel source.

Do we go open up more gas fields? What about diminishing returns and how do we cope with that over an extended period of time given the cost of extraction would increase at an exponential rate as yields decreased?

If we open enough to supply 100% of our gas needs for the next 30 years what then?

Personally I think the current plan, transition to renewables over the next 30 years, is a smarter, safer and more secure option as the answers to the questions above are where the case for gas starts to fall apart.

As regards Ireland's energy mox, Gas has a role to play in the medium term but that's it. The only game in town, long term, is renewables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I don't think anyone is arguing here that we get more renewables on the go. Sure it makes sense. Nevertheless, we still need the backup. And wouldn't it be great of the backup we need could be our own gas. More renewables would leave the gas reserves in the ground longer as we wouldn't need as much. It would last longer as the backup. No matter what way you cut it, we need the backup. At the minute gas is the only backup we have and we're dependent on mad lads to keep it flowing.

I'd see no reason not to issue licences for exploration. At least we'd bloody know what's there and make decisions based on that, in conjunction with ramping up wind/sun/water renewables and microgeneration too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The unit price is going up because of the gas backup that is needed is going up in price, which according to some on here we don’t really need at all! Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

We need an election to sort this out: let the various parties put up their energy strategies and let the public decide what is the pragmatic solution balanced against climate needs balanced against what other states are doing.

The big hope for storing excess wind is to create green hydrogen via electrolysis and then convert back to electricity when needed.

However we are years off having that technology let alone infrastructure in place to go down that route which is why gas is absolutely vital until about 2050.

But some of the lunatics on here will tell ya we don’t need gas 🤦‍♂️ or diesel even! 😂

680m is not a trillion. Plus you said trillion's, multiples and not a single trillion

I have solar pv as well. I would prefer to have solar and wind but the home technology is lacking, on days when it is not sunny you normally find you have enough wind to generate. It would also help during the night. You need a balanced grid as I keep saying, people are hung up on either wind or solar. It not either/or. It's a combination with other technology.

Again I am not sure what France has to do with Ireland, we are not France and we are not going to build a nuclear plant. So it's irrelevant

It wiould only become relevant if we build a European super grid with a direct connection to France.

Also as far as I know the supply of gas at corrib runs out by 2025 so we need more exploration licences in Irish seas fairly sharpish.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/energy-and-resources/banning-oil-exploration-could-have-implications-for-energy-security-1.4031740

Did you miss the bit again where you agreed that natural gas was essential for the transition to renewable energy generation? Or you've completely forgotten again?

And beyond that natural gas is essential for helping stabilise the inherent problems of renewable energy generation reliability. And that's not going to go away regardless of how many renewable enegy installations are thrown into the mix

I swear to doge this thread is like kindergarten all over again with endless circle games the kids can't get enough of .

Yes if and when we find more gas fields we use them. There's nothing complicated about that other than the eejits in government having put the kibosh on it.

Hopefully as soon as the greens get turfed out of government that will be fixed

I have been posting on these threads for over 8 years, and I can safely say in that time you are one of the most disengenious spoofers I have interacted with in that time. Your only saying grace is that your spoofing has gone from farcical to comical.

You have repeatedly accused me of saying that the proposal to build a LNG terminal in Kerry was from the state. When repeatedly asked to show where I said that your reply now is a sentence from a post of mine which you have highlighted. "We build a LNG terminal. we source and pay for LNG to be delivered to said terminal, so who do you believe at that stage owns this LNG?"Who do you thing the "we" in that post referred to other than the state building its own LNG terminal and sourcing its own supply of LNG ?

But then despite your antic, from your reply to that post you showed that you knew full well who the "we" was, as well as your your complete lack of knowledge on LNG where you believe that if we did build our own LNG terminal we would not be able to purchase any LNG as the only company we could do so from was the company who are applying for permission to build a terminal in Kerry.

Still no answer to the question as to why with such a high percentage of electricity generation from renewables (a percentage you posted as being much higher than that from fossil fuels btw) we are in the top 4 in the E.U. for the most expensive electricity. Why you see a country with even higher charges who uses an even higher percentage of renewables having a greater population than we have as some kind of justification I have no idea. Percentages are percentages, the size of the population is irrelevant.

I have solar as well. I generate electricity all year around, yes in winter months it is small but last month I generated 200kWh. Attached is the performance. I don't have a big battery, 2kWh and the rest goes to the grid if I don't use. That is what the newer installations are doing without batteries as the grant is gone. The main point of solar for irish household is to remove the base load off the grid during the day.

In normal circumstance most people are in work, kids in schools etc so you have thousands of houses just ticking over. Even if Ireland got rid of all of that most days of the year that would be a huge load gone off the grid which could be used for offices etc.

So to answer your points

1. Most houses only need to remove base which is 4 -6 panels max
    2. Dont get a grant for battery anymore so you don't need. PLus you can install in attic space if done correctly(https://www.seai.ie/publications/FAQs_on_Solar_PV.pdf)
    3. Electric cars will be charged at night-time...that is the most normal time. The plan for a managed grid is to not scale up & down all the time, just keep the same requirement all the time. This can be managed at night time by using cars etc. The likes of NL also have cars which can be connected and power put back into the grid during the day.

80+% of electricity is generated by non renewable, that's why your bills are high and getting higher based on TV today and gas is going up again.

• Advertisement

Maybe instead of spending 8 years posting about the subject, why not read up on the topic first?

I have tried to explain multiple times if you generate 80+% of electricity from fossil fuels the reason it the price of electricity is high is because of the fossil fuels but you seem incapable of understanding this.

Let try this.

Today: Gas/oil price goes up, electricity price goes up

Future: We use renewables, gas/oil price goes up, electricity stays the same price

The grid needs to be able to cater for peak load though?

What you will find is the plan for the smart meter is that you will end up paying more per unit at peak etc. The old story of watching that cooking show on Channel 4, at first break everyone goes for a cup of tea and 1 million kettles are turned on at around the same time. But what if your system is integrated with the smart meter and hold the kettle back till the peak and then turns on? plenty of options

Even my solar and heating system can integrate now with a smart meter.

Did you miss the bit again where you agreed that natural gas was essential for the transition to renewable energy generation? Or you've completely forgotten again?

Not at all, however the difference between you and I is I recognise that gas has a part to play in the transition, but it has only a small part to play in our future energy mix beyond 2050 whereas you seem to want it to represent the only option. Thats not a feasible or logical approach as it is a finite resource.

And beyond that natural gas is essential for helping stabilise the inherent problems of renewable energy generation reliability.

Not necessarily. We are planning on having 5-6 times our actual needs in terms of generation and thats in wind alone. There will also be solar, hydro, hydrogen, pumped storage and interconnectors. The same is being done all across the EU.

As an example, see below for the upcoming RESS auctions. Note the GWh column. Even on the low end, thats 26.5GWh versus our current consumption of 6.5GWh. On the high end its 49GWh. This is on top of what is already

So while we might have a period of low wind, there will be so much over capacity spread over a wide geographical here and abroad, that there will be little need for gas backup beyond 2050. Indeed, even after 2030 its likely most of the gas plants will see little usage

And that's not going to go away regardless of how many renewable enegy installations are thrown into the mix

Gas will go the way of coal, it will be priced out of existence. Coal based power generation is dead or dying across the EU as it can't compete. Oil based power generation is not far behind and its case will be made worse year on year as carbon taxes increase.

Gas has a period where it will remain profitable, but that will not last as it too, will be priced out of existence by carbon taxes. By 2035 it will be next to impossible for any investor to justify investing in gas as the margins will be getting squeezed tighter and tighter.

The picture for renewables on the other hand is only looking better and better as evidenced by the following graphic from the most recent SEAI Energy in Ireland report

The above shows oil, coal and peat are pretty much eliminated from our grid. The graph is only to 2020 so doesn't reflect the recent peat plant closures yet I don't think.

On a side note, curious, we know Kinsale and Corrib were commercially viable gas fields. How many other viable gas fields have been discovered do you know? Would love to know what kind of number we're looking at.

No it doesn't work that simply I'm afraid

In Europe electricity prices are pegged to the dearest energy component in any given mix of energy generation.

So it doesn't matter if you use 1% or 99% renewables and the remainder other - all units of energy produced are priced exactly the same.

Use more renewables? No that doesn't help. Other countries in Europe with higher percentages of renewables than us have even higher electricity prices. Go figure.

Of course non renewables are being taxed to make them as expensive as possible whilst renewables are subsidised so thats not helping either

And with Renewable energy, the peaks and troughs of generation requires the use of a stable means of generation such as natural gas. And that's not going away for the foreseeable future.

And with Renewable energy, the peaks and troughs of generation requires the use of a stable means of generation such as natural gas. And that's not going away for the foreseeable future.

You keep saying this, do you think this is some sort of revelation? Its not, as gas is a transition energy source only for Ireland and is being used until such time as renewables take over. By 2030 the market for gas in Ireland will look a heck of a lot different

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ESS have just announced expansion into the EU.

They produce grid scale batteries that use Iron oxides to store energy long term and can be deployed at any scale, from industrial, to grid scale

This is exactly the kinds of technology that will balance the grid in the era of renewable energy. There will be times when wind and solar generation will far outstrip demand, so these massive batteries will charge themselves using surplus renewable energy (providing an income to the renewable energy company) When renewables are not sufficient to meet demand, these batteries come online and release energy into the grid as they are needed.

Large energy intensive industry will likely have their own batteries because even small savings in powering themselves from off peak energy will result in large savings for their operations

These batteries do not need any rare metals and are 100% recyclable

The energy market will adapt, and energy itself will become the commodity that is traded instead of Coal, Oil and gas (that is currently shipped around the world occasionally spilling into the ocean and devastating entire coastlines)

As we make more efficient use of our energy generation capacity, (which is going to be much higher than the peak demand) it will allow us to use that excess energy to do things like desalinate water, smelt iron, create hydrogen from sea water etc)

The people on this thread banging on about our eternal reliance on gas, will look like the people who thought computers would never take off 40 years ago.

If the fossil fuel companies hadn't been actively corrupting the global political system, we'd be much farther ahead than we are now.

Are you saying that Europe tells Ireland what our rate per kWh is?

http://ireland2050.ie/questions/do-we-pay-a-fair-price-for-our-electricity/

ESB has provided an analysis of its business where end-user prices are decomposed into six elements. In the figure below the cost of electricity generation is seperated into generation and and fuel costs. Thus the largest component of end-user prices is the cost of fuel (29%) followed by Network costs (28%), Taxes (19%) and supply costs (14%).

Firstly, rather than attempting to have your accusations ignored by deflecting, are you man/woman enough to now admit that the "we" I mentioned was anything other than the state, and had nothing to do with the proposal by a private company to build and operate a LNG terminal in Kerry ?

Secondly for someone that knows so little about LNG that they believed if we did build our own terminal the only company we could buy LNG from was the one applying to build their own terminal in Kerry, to lecture anyone on reading up on the topic shows that whatever else you may be you`re not short on neck.

That neck doesn`t get any leaner or shorter when it appears that despite your lecturing to others, you cannot manage simple subtraction.

From your own post just yesterday. Renewable electricity accounted for 69% of all renewable energy used in 2020, up from two thirds (66.8%) in 2019. Where in that are you finding this 80+% electricity from fossil fuels ?

Even more interestingly, why do you keep attempting to avoid the question that with such a high percentage of renewables that we were being told would provide us with cheaper electricity, we were the 4th most expensive in the E.U. even before the recent price hikes for natural gas. ? That could be that perhaps you need more time to read up on the topic. If it is, and its any help you could start by reading up on the pricing policy that has been in the past cheered on here by greens. A policy that even the E.U. now sees for the folly it is having recently proposed windfall taxes.

• Advertisement

Well apparently you had. But no matter. The difference between you and I, is that you seem to live in fairy land with regard to reality of a stable and secure energy policy. And while you might be happy there - the rest of us have to get on with reality.

Your pet geographical spread model didn't make a farts difference last winter when renewable energy generation failed to deliver the goods across Europe. The current trouble with Russia has seen Germany looking to recommision its coal fired power plants. Whatever happens renewable enegy policy and current methods of generation will have to change.

Unfortunately in this country we're dealing with the likley impact of the shitshow which Eamon and friends have dropped on the country by banning the exploration and use our national resources for the foreseeable future .

Advertisement