Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

God the details of the proposed peace deal with Russia are horrendous.

It's the equivalent of Hitler invading Poland, screwing up and getting bogged down, then trying to get a peace deal that will make it easier for him to invade the country properly in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The highlight was Lavror insisting on "Freedom of Speech".

😏

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

I presume that this is a step in the EU weaning itself off Russia in terms of energy supplies. Goal #1 of the EU Energy Union when it was created was energy security.

A lot of resignations at RT now.

The sheer amount of posters who have regurgitated Putin's propaganda on this forum for 10 years, they must be so embarrassed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,403 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Whilst i will never be conscripted to go and fight in Ukraine, I feel the overwhelming urge to vent via my keyboard that the appropriate response to this proposed "peace plan" is to tell Putin to print it out, roll it up very very tightly, and shove it up his hole.

The ****ing balls of this guy.

I accept that people are dying in Ukraine at present, and life overall is generally shyte, but the war is not going as badly for them as most expected. One would think that the longer it goes on, the worse it is going for Putin. In addition, giving in to this totalitarian asshole will only enable him in the future.

So, in conclusion, they should tell him to go and fuckski offski.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Putin doesn't want a deal and has no intentions of agreing to one. He want's Ukraine as part of Russia and control over their food resources and fertiliser output, not to mention chopping all their trees down to pay for this adventure. Only military defeat will get Russia out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

The tides could soon be turning.

"Russian dictator Vladimir Putin is losing favor with his inner circle of oligarchs, creating conditions for a rebellion and his overthrow, the Center for Counteracting Disinformation under the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine has said"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The US are playing a blinder in this war. It wont be reported on in any detail but somewhere in the bowels of the Pentagon there is a phalanx of military personnel who have their satellites trained on Ukraine and are watching the battlefield 24/7 and then relaying the intel of Russian positions back to the Ukrainian generals . The intel delivered from the US is the main reason why the Ukrainians are having such success against Russian forces. Without that live intel that the US are feeding Ukraine Putins plan of toppling the country within a few days would likely have worked.

Post edited by Muahahaha on

Ukrainians clobbered the Russians at Kherson airfield

• Advertisement

Looks like Ukraine might be supplied with switchblade loitering kamikaze drones

This could be a gamechanger to defeat artillery at long range for Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I would agree with this. I think the US quietly helping in the background is the best strategy given the circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭pjordan

Apparently that outburst was on the 10th March - He's attempted a somewhat grovelling apology since https://slippedisc.com/2022/03/just-in-boris-berezovsky-hastily-regrets-his-war-comments/

"I have formed my opinion in recent weeks consulting American and Western political scientists explaining to many that the West is also responsible for the current dramatic situation. This doesn’t mean I condone this war or any kind of war.

My undoubtedly naïve intention in participating in this show was to come up with possible solutions for this current drama to end as soon as possible. When I asked for the possibility of power cuts, my intention was to avoid the choice of bombs on Kiev and thus avoid an even more dramatic humanitarian disaster. But I was interrupted before I could finish.

So from now on I will remain silent on any questions that are not related to my art.

“When the cannons roar, the muses remain silent.” I should have followed this wise adage.

BORIS BEREZOVSKY"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Whilst I do believe that Ukraine would have given Russia a bloody nose even in that case, given how much they seem to be on top of their game and how motivated & disciplined their troops are, the intel advantage they have is indeed an underappreciated blessing for them. They basically have access to some of the most modern ELINT, SIGINT and EW resources on the planet, something that even quite a few NATO allies would likely give an arm and a leg for. Just look at the USAF EC/RC-135 aircraft or their RAF counterparts orbiting over Poland, the Global Hawks over the Black Sea or the smaller ELINT aircraft operating out of the Baltic countries. Ukraine probably has as near of a real-time view of the battlefield as any country can wish for.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Well you dd point out that the only reason for a sizeable Ukrainian minority in Crimea was what happened in 1959, so to point out the the Russian majority was only achieved as result of a forced relocation of Tartars only 15 years previously was pretty apt.

The point being, autocratic regimes with no regard for the individual can manufacture a majority very quickly. You can bet if there are any suggestions of a referendum in the Donbass for example, Russia will strongly resist any Ukranians who fled post 2014 being permitted to have a vote

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

There wouldn't be much room for any other news if the BBC are expected to report every time someone is accused of rape anywhere in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Wouldn't trust the Russians with any deal to be honest.

What's stopping them getting their **** together and coming back twice as hard in a couple of years?

Ukraine needs NATO and EU protection most certainly. Its really really bizarre how Russia are playing as if they are the victim to the west.

That have been sanctioned back to the stone age and with good reason.

Complete game-changers. As the video mentioned, the artillery is one of the key problems for Ukraine in terms of the Russian attacks, shelling towns and cities. Open artillery pieces could be serious hampered by these things, not to mention the morale effects. These drones cannot get to Ukrainian forces fast enough. The TB2's, combined with current Ukrainian drones, combined with enough of these (plus the high morale Ukrainian troops +at weapons) AND better anti-aircraft that is slated to arrive could, potentially, reverse the battle entirely. Usual disclaimer: Russia is militarily stronger, and has tricks up it's sleeve, but it's now not impossible that Ukrainians forces could possibly start to push them back in certain areas. This was unthinkable 3 weeks ago.

Yes Soviet era, but I believe has longer range than much of what Ukraine has currently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Completely agree. No trick works the same way twice, so we may be witnessing the most sophisticated juxtaposition of apparent optics and behind the scenes operations ever created.

In a similar vein to the original post, I wonder if any Russian satellites have suffered collisions with "space debris"?

I also wonder if the stock of equipment on the ground in Ukraine is a little ahead of any 3rd party estimations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Switzerland and Finland are neutral and with national service, but they would also be difficult countries to invade in terms of their terrain. Ukraine, on the other hand, is mostly flat plain. Funnily enough, there are still reports of the Russian army having difficulty in some of that flat terrain, which leads onto my second point - the Russians won't want to leave Ukraine alone if this is truly a war about resources and Ukraine insist on leaning more toward the west. Going into the EU would only deepen Ukraine's relationship with the West. Therefore, the Russians would take a ceasefire period to reform their military and they could come back at Ukraine in a much more efficient way, learning from their previous mistakes. In short, I wouldn't trust the Russians as far as I could throw them. They've shown their nature. Ukraine needs some absolutely cast-iron guarantees of its safety, going forward, and that is an agreement that would need backing by hard force, i.e. NATO membership.

They will force Russian away with this,and i just heard rumours about Putin not getting any mercenaries from Syria as well.

He is really struggling to reinforce and supply his troops

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

CNN apologizing to viewers for not being able to warn them that the video compilation played by Zelensky to Congress would be so graphic.

Zelensky should have reminded the US viewers about Putin's "potty mouth". That would have got the WASPs a-buzzing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Definitely.

Perhaps the Ukrainians have gauged exactly what needs to be said right now, and balanced it against the likelihood of ever needing to be bound by it. There's no way anyone is going to trust the Russians, they've demonstrated that they have no concept of trust whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Has a spokesperson from the People's Republic of Kherson commented on this yet?

It's only about 4 km from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

I think Ukraine should double down and declare they will fight on for a total victory and drag Russia into an endless gorilla war, backed by western weapons.

I don't think they should cede ground as it is the doom of there country they will suffer a slow death thru manipulation and be isolated to a boardering 3rd world country cycle of poverty and strife.

This is a do or die moment for Ukraine otherwise they will be destroyed and dismantled in everything but a map and a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well I wouldn't say it is all about resources. But an EU with trade deal for Ukraine for those resources has less reason for buying resources from Russia, Russia loses one of the holds it has on EU. The resources may not be extracted for a while but the licences to do can be sold now minus the finders fee...

If resources don't come into it, why has russian put so much effort into the southern front in an attempt to cut Ukraine off from the sea, instead of sending everything at Kiev and the regions around Crimea.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The Russians are great at making announcements that their great leader has passed on. He is expendable if it is decided that he is. Even Xi in China is not immune to being replaced.

Exactly. It would allow them to maintain a standing army however it would also allow them to have several million trained reservists. Obviously would take years to create but it would give them a nice security blanket right throughout the state.

Added to this, they could potentially follow another swiss model in terms of accessibility into the country whereby they could create corridors which could be closed at multiple points in the event of an invasion, thereby slowing down any attackers, creating bottlenecks and kill zones.

The swiss are pleasant but they are also highly prepared to rebel any potential invasion and for Ukraine, its a model of defense they should seriously look into

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement