Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Census 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

The Danes have an unique identifier for everyone. We don't and any time its suggested there is blue murder from the civil liberties lobby. We couldn't link up all the bits of information different government bodies have,

Fk da census,, farmed out to some Canadian shower a while back,, dere getting nowt outta me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nah...... The Trots are not the ones putting out the mad census conspiracy stuff

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Right, in most European countries you have to register with the local police or town hall any time you move house. When I lived on the continent, I remember getting a call one day from a local council official, asking me why I hadn't got my chimney swept in the last 12 months. In Spain you have to show your passport and it gets reported to the authorities when you check into a hotel. So, yeah, we don't really need an anonymised census once every ten years, where the state actually know very little about you as an individual. We could do all these great things instead, which nobody would complain about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

How come we have such nut jobs here? Its frightening.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Thanks to the napoleonic codes most of Europe have some form of registration system and single identity cards as well. Anyone with civil liberties concerns at this stage are sadly mistaken - we can link up all the data we hold already using the new techniques like machine learning...

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

I think the census should be delayed for at least 6 months as the fallout form the ukranian war will not be registered and the neeed for extra schools houses & services will be way higherthan what it is on the 3rd of April as the flow of refugees will be for at least 3/4 months and they have to be counted as its 30% children its a useless exercise in two weeks .

I don't mind giving them (not a foreign Country - no way, no how) the 'vital statistics' , and nothing else,,,, : name, MMN, DOB, place of birth, no of occupants, sex/gender, and that's it - NOTHING ELSE!! always thought census meant a 'count' , and not miscellaneous shoy8 like favourite colour, self identity, job, ailments etc,, etc,, the relevant authorities have all that info on me anyhow! it's just further encroachment on privacy/civil liberties, and some folks on here fail refuse to see it

I'll tell them what's needed w/o any need of the census - MORE FOOKING JAILS FOR DA MUDDERFUKKIN SKUM!!!!!!!!

and no, i aint talking about folk what don't want to wear masks/ fill in forms / not paying the commie TV licence,,

shower a kernts wit their forms,, and what's this 'handing the form to the resident/s' craic,,, fking post it out! 😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You can't link up anything without complying with GDPR.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I like the time capsule section.

What should I write... #StandWithUkraine ?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

All Census data is totally confidential. You have nothing to worry about.

(well, until 100 years later).

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

Once you have complied with GDPR "linking up" the various government departments should be possible? Don't state organisations on the continent do it all the time?

Nope, data sharing between public bodies requires either explicit legislation (Revenue generally have rights to everything, others generally don’t) or an explicit data sharing agreement which must comply with GDPR, and have either a legislative basis for processing or consent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

Is a group of people sharing a house or apartment considered one household? For example, if there is a group of four or five unrelated people renting together, will the Enumerator just give them one form, or will they give a separate form for each person? Some people might prefer to keep some details confidential from their housemates, such as Q15, health conditions, or Q12, religion, or maybe even any of the other questions.

So I am guessing that there would be a separate form provided for each housemate. Is this correct?

And then if anyone wanted to ensure confidentiality after Census night, they would have to send back the form by post, instead of leaving it out until the Enumerator returned to collect the forms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nope, it's one form per household. Anyone sharing would be considered part of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Is that little rant what you're writing in the time capsule section? If not, you should! 🧐

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

not sure this is the right forum... but..eh, this is the only census thread I can find.

I have to do a bit of work on 3 April, so will be out of the house all day, but back around 11pm. That's fine for filling in the form right.. as in don't need to be in the property all day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's about where you spend the night or arrive the next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

grand... and it's collected at some later point in the week I assume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So who else hasn't got a form yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

We rang them earlier in the week and they just shrugged it off. Didn't ask anything about where we were living or anything.

Said we could just send it on after we've received it, and it's grand.

Also submitted the request form online and received an automated response to say they'd respond with 48 hours - nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I haven't, and I'm not bothered chasing it either. I presume it can be filled out retrospectively, since they're usually still collecting forms until well into May. I can't believe that, in 2022, there isn't an option to complete it online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Have they hired less enumerators this time around? The amount of households with no form yet is surprising. We only got ours yesterday- never saw our enumerator on the road before that and never received a calling card either

I was an enumerator for the last 2 census and by this time all forms had to have been delivered. By the week before you should have been almost finished and were questioned if you weren't.

New system maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Listening to the radio adverts for the census, we get the usual line of "this data will allow us to plan services for the future".

So how come in the years following each census it always looks like there is zero planning of government services around the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's absolutely moronic though. 3 pages of questions for people there on the night and 1/3 a page for absent. Why does it not matter the occupation of the absent lad, how he gets to work or where he may or may not pray.

Also you can only tick 1 form of transport for getting to work. So if you cycle to your train and then cycle after or spend half the year getting the bus and the better months walking you can't answer.

Very little or no options for the many people who now work 2 jobs equally too.

I’ve seen enumerators on the streets both evenings this evening and last evening, so they are still working on it.

Have you designed many Censuses yourself? Did you ever think that the people who’ve been designing the questions for decades know a bit more about it than you?

Unless you actually live at the train station, which isn’t very likely, you’re going to be using some other form of transport to and from the station.

So they already know that you have a secondary mode of travel. They COULD ask additional questions about the secondary mode, but that is additional complexity, additional space on the form, additional data entry costs, for what is probably little benefit,

You don’t know the reasons for all of their design decisions. That doesn’t mean that they are moronic.

Im surprised you of all people don't understand the importance of what I am talking about. If someone drives in the bad weather months and cycles for the good weather ones but decides only being able to tick one they tick car that's one less bike on the road according to stats.

Same if train is picked as the one mode even though half the journey is on the bike from Heuston to the job.

I walk, bus or cycle in equal amounts depending on what takes my fancy that morning so ya the question is moronic. It should be tick all appropriate modes of transport.

Same for the job. Up until a few months ago I worked 2 completely different types of job at an equal 20hr 20hr split but can only fill in one.

I well understand the importance. I also understand that EVERY research question involves compromises. Some people use three modes of transport, does that mean we need to ask three questions? You could say the same about every question. There is always an extra question that can be asked, but every extra question comes at a price- extra space, extra data entry, extra processing. So they have to draw the line somewhere.

Thats not moronic. That’s basic survey design.

I wonder how they're going to approach the sex / gender question next time... I'd nearly say they'll leave it as it is,

And what about the bit where people out of the house count less. Do you not find that to be a bit stupid.

Why doesn't the census form say what night is 'census night'?

Seems like a bizarre omission.

• Advertisement

I'm not an expert on Censuses, but I'd guess it might have something to do with the fact that;

a) if people aren't there, you won't have answers to all the questions, and

b) if people are somewhere else, their answers will be recorded on the Census form for where ever they happen to be that night.

I'd guess the forms are designed and printed long before the date was fixed, and with everything that's happening over the past two years with Covid, there was a significant chance of the date having to be moved. Contingency planning - and they have a huge communications campaign elsewhere - TV, radio, online, print - to make sure everyone knows the date.

Here's a general point - just because YOU don't understand the reason for any particular feature of the Census, that doesn't mean that the people in the CSO who've been running Censuses for decades are big eejits. It just means YOU don't understand how to run a Census.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Then forgive me for asking a question that seemed to question the competence of a state body. We couldn't have that. I'll try to do better in future

Yeah, maybe framing a question in a way that questions the competence of any organisation, public or private, or indeed, any person, when actually, it is a subject that you know SFA about isn't a great idea. Just imagine me landing beside you in your job on Monday morning, a job, a business, a sector that I know nothing about, going through your work papers or equipment and asking a load a dumb questions about why don't you do it the other way - that's basically a lot of what is happening on this thread.

I did some work with some of the CSO folks a good few years ago, and big eejits they are not. They know their stuff, they have good reasons for what they do. Those reasons may not be apparent to the general public, but that doesn't mean they're the big eejits.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Wife has currently gone over her due date so we're on tenterhooks here till tomorrow as to who will actually be in the house on the night in question. Could be myself on my lonesome with her in hospital and the kids at mum's house, could be all four of us, who knows. It's a bit different from the normal thing where you could theoretically fill it out months in advance knowing who will be present.

I wasn't going to put anything in the time capsule but I think I'll write something about my dad who passed away very suddenly before Christmas. He won't be in any Hall of Fames or spoken about in wider circles beyond family and friends but he was everything to us and I'd like that to be reflected when it's opened in 100 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Maxface

I hope everything works out! It will be an interesting discussion point leading up to the release in 100 years time. Anyone reading this wont be there to see them but those ahead of us will get a glimpse of what life was like 100 years prior. Also, TIL it is tenterhooks and not tenderhooks. I may be alone in that but it surprised me.

The question isn't about gender. It is just sex.

Bit of a difference between turning up at someone's workplace and discussing it here LOL. And discussing it doesn't have to mean you think they are "big eejits" either.

You'd think being able to do it online would be more efficient for all the usual reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Is Census night Saturday 2nd into Sunday 3rd or Sunday 3rd into Monday 4th.

Just checking because someone stayed over last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wench

• Advertisement
Advertisement