Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Its pretty serious all right, however the end of civilization doomers seem to be generally losing the run of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

As true as this is, I don't think even the US military think that they'll be able to bomb climate change into submission

The US militaryregard Climate change as a threat multiplier, and they're right.

When the rains fail, and the crops fail, and there are water shortages, People will either revolt or migrate, and either of these can be destabilising on regional to global scale (the more of these events that occur within a short timescale, the bigger the threat multiplier.

The French revolution was brewing for a long time before it kicked off, but it was triggered when food prices spiked and the people were starving while the aristocrats were living lives of opulence. The US elites would not take too kindly to a 21st century version of the reign of terror enforced with AR15s instead of Guilotines

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

if you compare Dec to June then yes a big difference but if you compare day to day it’s not. Hundreds of thousands? Most PV owners have 10-20kWh battery which they can source for about 2-4K(less even if you check the thread in here) to balance out for the house.

Why do you need to install on ground? As I posted already a few panels will take off the base workload, also I copied the regulation in last post. FYI everything can live in the attic. I should know as I have my installation in attic like most people

I think if you check much of the thread, you'll find the majority of people are not against renewable energy generation. They are posters who have detailed their own experiences of domestic renewable energy generation, others who are supportive of these technologies and also those genuinely interested in renewable energy generation as a new and potentially positive direction But some are rightly questioning the specific application of green party policy and rightly so. Slavishly and unquestionably agreeing with everything an one policy political party are choosing to dictate would neither be logical nor advisable in any democracy. imho there are certainly areas where the greens fall down imho and where their policies are not logical or do not necessarily make sense. Personally I'd prefer to see people stepping up and calling that out than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The problem I see here is that there are those that are blindly backing every green policy without even knowing what those policies are simply because they are green policies. When the shortfalls, or even the downright stupidity of some of them and what they are are causing is pointed out, it`s either whataboutery or fingers in ears. With some here it`s like attempting to have a reasoned conversation with members of a cult.

Those dreaming of halcyon days in the distant future while purposely ignoring the here and now aren`t adding much to the discussion either.

• Advertisement

The raw material needed is methane / natural gas

Are you mixing up your hydrogen processes? Green hydrogen only uses water

Sounds like you rare referring to blue/grey hydrogen, not green

Have you read any of the green policies? or the last manifesto?

Based on what you posted so far you actually haven't a clue about the Green party.

😂

I have provided the SEAI installation guidelines in terms of installation.

If the battery is installed correctly why do you think it is safer in a room instead of in an attic?

Don't really mind you can't work out the maths. If you can't work out the buyback I am struggling to see why you installed Solar PV in the first place?

Boards has a huge thread on it as I posted, see attached. Still waiting to hear why a battery is safer in a room in your house compared to in the attic?

No need to do out the numbers, I very much doubt you will get them right seeing as you only get solar 3 months a year as claimed

You should also look here in terms of generation and see who is getting only 3 months a year.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058103000/daily-pv-production

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The UAE nuclear power station is one of the most recent built. It cost less per GW than the next large offshore wind farm to be built off Scotland. But that's only half the picture, because the availability of power from that expensive offshore farm will only be about 52%, whereas the UAE reactors should be 96%, so in reality, the wind farm isn't just a bit more expensive, it's considerably more expensive because of needing to pay for some other infrastructure and fuel to fill in that large 48% hole.

This massively more expensive nuclear you are mentioning is all in your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the UAE nuclear power station's costs currently are as low as they are dispite still being disproportionate because it doesn't have to be built to the same standards and does not have the same regulatory environment to operate in as would be expected in the western world, construction and other costs will ultimately rise as they have with every other plant and even if it achieves the 96% power gneneration, as we have saw with every other power plant reliability is not good as it can go down at any time and needs a heavy hitting back up anyway.

the scotland wind farm is a tiny fraction of a multi-source grid, it's costs did not rise and 52% power for 1 wind farm out of a number of them out of a multi-source grid is reasonably reliable.

whatever way one looks at it, nuclear just cannot compete with every other source on cost, reliability and percentage of generation.

it is why it will never happen in ireland, because the very expensive nuclear is a reality and the industry has refused to address it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Excellent move by the EU

The EU wants to introduce CO2 emissions costs on imports of steel, cement, fertilisers, aluminium and electricity, from 2026. This is a move aimed at protecting European industry from being undercut by cheaper goods made in countries with weaker environmental rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,669 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't start that one when the green nonsense is preventing us exploiting our own resources.

We need to be drilling for oil and gas in our waters.

Times are changing though and needs must so a lot of that will be quickly pushed aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Based on what you posted to date you haven`t the grace to acknowledge you made false accusations, but no matter. That is on you.

Similar to some here I have supported political party manifesto, that when it came to them being enacted, unfortunately in some cases the manifesto was a pile of lies on certain issues. On others, partly my own fault for not querying certain policies, when they were enacted I didn`t feel they represented what I voted for and had just been dressed up to gain votes. That is not to say that as situations change then commitments may have to change, but nowadays I do not take manifestos just at face value.

You on the other hand are on here defending a pricing regime that has us paying way over the odds on electricity, which until told about here today you hadn`t a clue on. You are also quite happy to support a policy that while shutting down plants and downgrading others while happy to make up the shortfall from a renewables policy using natural gas and nuclear, but is determined not to grant exploration licences for natural gas. That policy did not appeal to me and still does not. I find it hypocritical. Neither does this present stance of not even giving consideration to reopening two recently closes turf burning plants which does not encourage me to vote for them in the future either.

Greens policy of shouting down any discussion on nuclear over the years never appealed to me either, so I find it ironic that nuclear is now regarded by the E.U. as a transition energy source, same as natural gas. I also felt they were over-selling wind energy, as any fool should have realised that the wind is not a consistent and reliable source.

I said earlier that I can understand that as situations change then manifesto commitments may have to change as well. It`s very clear that we will require natural gas as a failsafe for unreliable renewables for many years to come. With the present crisis where Europe is facing massive cuts in natural gas supplies, the Irish Green party and their supporters defending their policy of us not building and operating our own LNG terminal is just batsh1t crazy.

I`m assuming they are still determined to shut Tarbert by next year and Moneypoint two years later which will leave us even more dependent on natural gas. If they are, then far as I`m concerned that goes in the crazy column as well.

Heres an idea. Rather than having a go at another poster for showing how their PV works, why don't you put up your own energy generation data to see how it compares. You know walk the walk with some a practical demonstration how your own setup works in real terms. That would be good for a proper comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ogre1

Where does all the extra electric come from to replace all of the petrol and diesel fuel being burned in just cars alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ogre1

Mining lithium is very dirty, produces masses of co2 and waste.

Recycling lithium batteries is exactly the same.........if they can.

Nuke power stations use produce masses of co2 in their construction due to the amounts of concrete and steel needed. Far more than other kinds of power stations. Then lots of energy used and co2 produced in storage of waste.

Here’s an idea, why don’t you read the thread as I already put up information on my system and answered the points the poster raised

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

That may protect some industries. If they want to protect the environment though they should do the same for all goods including food and clothes.

Surely making imports of fertiliser more expensive will mean we will have to import more food which will accelerate destruction of the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

where are these oil and gas fields ah, companies have only been looking for 50 years like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Thank you for confirming you have not read Green policies or their manifesto.

No idea why you needed a long rant. Funny you accuse the Green of shouting down people and that is exactly what you have tried to do across the thread.

P.S. no false accusations, you didn't understand the Kerry LNG would be owned by a private company.

100% correct

Since the 70's and apart from the odd small gas they have found f**k all and that's not going to change.

The person you are congratulating doesn't know any Green policies. Small bit of a problem wouldn't you think?

I have and you certainly didn't in your last reply where you simply made some generic claims and preceded to have a go. Constructive its not eitherway

You clearly didn't read the thread. If you want to attack a poster off you go, I have little interest in your childish carry on.

Looks like you got out of bed to early banana and you're still tired 😄

Exploration in Ireland is undertaken by license. Companies undertake exploration based on a cost / value basis so where oil and gas prices are high internationally - exploration demands and value increase.

Todate gas exploration licenses have been awarded at the Kinsale Head, Ballycotton, Seven Heads and Corrib fields. From 1978 to 1995, Kinsale Head along with Ballycotton and Sevens Head, supplied all of Ireland's gas. Corrib field contributed the equivalent of 50% of Ireland's gas consumption. In addition the finding of the Barryroe oilfield of Ireland’s South Coast has the potential to provide the 120,000 barrels of oil a day that Ireland consumes, and a proportion of the gas needed to generate about 60 per cent of its electricity. Current licences for exploration are held by Equinor and Europa Oil & Gas.

The fact that Ireland requires a safe, secure and dependable source of gas is without question. Being wholly dependant on imports of an increasingly scarce, expensive and necessary resource is a now a very serious issue for the country as a whole. And if additional gas fields are not found, there will always be those who will be only too delighted.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

I commented on your reply to another poster not the "entire thread" and that stands .

But whats with the constant snark and attacks at other posters? This whilst widely promoting the "Manifesto" and policies of a single political party without any apparent critical analysis and yet oddly enough didn't know that Ireland had its own Natural gas resources. Odd indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Grueller

Not worth two squarts of goats p1ss if they allow finished products to be imported without the emissions tariffs on them as all it will do is put EU industry at a further competitive disadvantage against imports.

Advertisement