Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

I’ve nice fleshy hoggets of around 50kg plus to sell. How much should I look for in the yard. All ch tx lowland type. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

Any quotes for this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Savage money, I think the tightener is on for the factories, seem to be allowing their agents pay more more at the mart than what they are quoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

I got €160 in the yard. Bought for €91 last October. Only 1 bag each of meal. Happy enough

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with that I always thought anything over €50 euro profit per store lamb was a great price. I only had 46 ewe lambs and 20 horn store lambs this year. 22 ewe hogget's left to go average weight last weekend was 48kg so when the meal is gone in 2-3 weeks ill let them off. Journal saying factories very tight paying up to 7.30 and offering free transport and mart trade going very well. 2 bank holidays this week to will mean the kill will be down so I would suspect it will be 7.50 or higher in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Brought a few to cahir mart today..ewe lambs bought last August. 90/100euro .1 batch texels 48kg 159

Other.few were speckled face I'd say suffolk x belclare. 56kg 170

Would have made breeding hoggets I think but grass going to be tight I think so culled a few..hopefully I kept the best of them..Happy with today's money anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eire23

What way do ye think Lamb prices will go this year? It would be great if they hold at a similar price to last year giving the price of feed and fertiliser etc. How was the hogget trade around this time 12 months ago for anyone that was killing stores??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Hogget prices were a bit higher this time last year, around 7.50 - but prices are creeping up now, so maybe we’ll hit this price this year…

https://www.ifa.ie/markets-and-prices/sheep-price-update-15th-march/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

They are importing uk lambs here again both dead and alive, using it to undermine us and then having a cheaper product in the Belgian and french market forcing uk price back a notch. Repeat week on week and this is how the bastards got50cent off them during and after Christmas and have held them.

brexit prevented it last year but something changed in January. And with no voice and no farm unions worth a damn at least make sure they don’t steal a piece of your cheque lads. Instruct marts and factory not to deduct eif levy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Passed by our local private factory today and it was loading two fridge artics for export...... do we block their gates as well.

Either you want free trade or you don't.

If the lambs are coming in cheaper that’s fine. But they aren’t. Uk mainland hoggets are coming again in numbers.

We as producers are constrained where we can sell due to our beloved civil service closing all the competition for the few bigger processors. And the only thing that dictates price to them is continuation of supply to meet contracts.

The ability to import sheep to bluff and as a market control measure is the opposite of free trade. We farmer have no freedom to trade.

whatever legislation changed since January has seen a return to pre Brexit. And our farm unions either don’t care or are inept.

so if we have to accept our beating at least don’t give a cent of our cheques to their coffers. (The farce of having to tell someone not to help themselves to your money has to be illegal but again we are voiceless)

There was no secret, but one would wonder what a paid farm rep union would put his/her time in at to not be able to join a few dots. There were no livestock exported live from UK mainland to Europe last year and we had a buoyant year because of a real functioning free market. I sent Brian Rushe that link a long time ago but I think Hw was too concerned about Kevin Cooney keeping all his SFP.

Where's your county sheep rep, can you not be bothered to contact him, If you saw all the trash that comes into IFA officers you wouldn't be bothered sending links.

Time farmers woke up and got involved with whatever the union flavour of the day is, whinge whinge whinge. Your county elected a IFA sheep rep, a Icsa sheep rep. and probably more. I can't see why all the whingers cant get with them and steer them, otherwise shut up. whingeing from here is just childish.

I'd say the guys at the top of organisations haven't time, That's why there's commodity commitees in all organisation. We'd seldom have the president at our commodity meetings. I wonder how many suggestions would Rushe get on his phone every day

What do they put their time in at? No market analyst in? Busy selling phone deals and discounted Willy warmers?

Phones/electricity deals have very little to do with IFA,. Sad you don't even know that.

I can't complain any way, don't give a sh.. about anyone else..... lambs are a good price, Tax free lease, pensions, exceptional Road deal, you really couldn't make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

You have just highlighted the problem but I think it has come to an end.

The ifa was a great organisation and served your generation of farmers very well and your generation have refused to give up the power to allow it to serve the next generation. (well done to ye).

I believe you and your team in the past IFA were the cream of framers at the time and yeer off spring have yeer intelligence and got the hell outa farming so ye haven't young modern starter farmers interests at heart.

Stand back and think about it the only defender of ifa is a self proclaimed retired farmer.

I very much respect your knowledge of sheep and grassland but I think you are looking at the ifa of past and holding on to secure your leased sfp going forward.

The government are after waking up and discovered that the ifa no longer represents the majority of farmers but they are handy to play nodding for media occasionally.

Lambs are only a middling price and it’s sad that you don’t know that. It’s taking a carcass 23 kg to bring 20€ more than a 22kg lamb was bringing last autumn. They are 50cent behind December when demand and numbers should have them 50 cent better. 50cent +50cent is a euro. 23euro a lamb

I didn’t renew my membership and have stopped all levies because I’m a have not. A seriously ill semi disabled father in the reference years means I’ve no big historic “entitlements”. I’ve no road deal. Your arrogant belligerence perpetuates exactly who and what the ifa are.and any farmer reading in here remember they are not entitled to steal from you.

instruct factory or mart not to stop levies.

The farmers that are complaining won't bother to do any work for other farmers, they won't come together in any organisation. Those in IFA are democratically elected by their members, right or wrong they do a job and if you're not a member it's not your business is it. Thinking you are going to change the factories is stupidity, waste of time, pathetic. Constant criticism of IFA for not making them change is childish and belligerant too. It's amazing that your type aren't blockading Shaws tractor for charging tooo much for secondhand tractor because thats the world you live in, you think the world owes you a living and blame all around you when it doesnt deliver.

You don't know what financial problems are. I'd always do what I could for farmers, but I wouldn't waste my time on dead losses. You're a joke if you think you're going to change beff processors work.

If you're a full time farmer and missed the entitlements bus, i dont think you made a great career choice,

When I started farming I wasn't expecting my fathers five years nursing home bills and 20% interest on my loans and had no way of knowing it was coming

The next generation should be attending meetings, I've no interest in Ifa and left it when I was 62 , I would've left it at 60 If I had my choice as I had the beginnings of my heart problems even then so you can't accuse me of hogging jobs into my old age.

I haven't tried to influence anyone on how the present CAP should go and have always said that I shouldn't have entitlements but I'll take advantage of any thing that comes my way. My auctioneer did his best to talk me out of leasing my land without entitlements saying I'd lose my entitlements if it wasn't leased with the land.

Government have woken up to the fact that farmers wouldn't swing a vote now in the ''Queen of the Land'', much less a national election.

• Advertisement

we have the ability to source a machine from any part of the uk and Europe. I was a teenager in the reference years and the place was still carrying legacy debt, so I wasn’t on the bus with the ifa big landholders who had the heads up of what was coming and what to do the get a big piece of it.

We have been left with two options to sell sheep. The nearest factory or the nearest mart where the same factory operates a cartel to ensure you get not no more than option 1. This and then the aforementioned market control measures have it a poor career choice now and for the future agreed. No representation and there never will be.

so as sheep farmers I say accept that as I have, keep your ifa membership, and make sure they and the Icmsa don’t help themselves to a piece of your sales cheques to squander.

Post edited by Jjameson on

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

ICM used to call their lamb ''Celtic lamb'' in Europe so they could source lamb really any where in the British Isles for that label. Don't know how that's working now since Brexit.

Whatever loophole they have is probably the same reason we're still getting beef into our best market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Not the point Wrangler. They are importing lamb to export it straight away. In doing so they are decimating the price for Irish lamb. To make it worse they don't even employ Irish workers as they don't pay enough. All abetted by the farming organizations. I wonder do the IFA get a fee from the imported lamb. In exporting our beef to the British market that's where it is sold.

If they were stopped from importing they'd just process it in their british factories, Brexit is a joke now anyway, our beef or cattle shouldn't be allowed in Great Britain no more than their lambs here, but that's the way it is. Beef/lamb processors are in a business, they'll use every means to source and sell their product . Our local family abbatoir is proof that if farmers got their finger out it can be done. Irish wouldn't work in a killing line no more than they'd put the work into selling their own beef/lamb. Farmers started factories before and what a joke that was, and like you they'd blamed everyone except themselves.

You're only being laughed at by the factories, they'll close down as long as you want

Okay set up your own factory and then larry won't take your offal. There was a man from Midlands in England used come around the west and buy continental stock and bring them to a factory in England. Paid great money at the time, this went on for 3 years and no sign of him on the 4th year. Few local men rang him to see when he was comming and he stated that the factory he was buying for was told not to be comming over buying up stock and if they did the could be problems with their offal disposal and licencing.

Green party in power and all this talk of biomethane on the rise big time. The green party should really be advising farmers to set up co-op style factories and to get around the offal disposal it should be used as a feedsource for the bio methane plants.

I am an Energy engineer and as part of my final year we investigated offal as an anerobic digestion feedstock. Due to the volatile fatty acids the offal was actually on average nearly 30 - 40% more gas yield than MSW waste, grass, grains or animal manure. Nobody ever wants to talk about this as it doesn't suit the green party's agenda of reducing herd size and fine gael and finna fail don't want it because there in bed with larry.

Like I cannot see how this idea of a co-op style factory that xan produce beef and lamb sustainably which creating an alternative bio methane energy that can be directed into the grid or used to power gas turbines and generate electricity.

The bureaucracy and lobbying in this country has it destroyed. We are now ran by big multinationals.

Public service is on a free ride in this country and won't upset anyone,, and are unsackable

The fact that there's a doubt about labelling product means that there's plenty can't be bothered following it up as well to prove or disprove it ..... as a nation we're sad.

You wouldn't run an industry the way this country is run, Real Industries are right to take advantage where they can .

The labelling is a non issue as it’s all similar quality lamb and being exported anyway. It the price control element that’s the problem. The uk farm unions are asleep at the wheel as well in that they are working again themselves selling lambs here to be slaughtered by our crooks.

Yes they do not just because they can, because we let them.

When you look back at the tithe wars and the land wars we grew very weak.

• Advertisement

Can't understand guys that won't pick up the gauntlet if they feel strongly about something, imported lambs never bothered me, ICM can fill orders from england and would compete with our lambs any where they'd go anyway. They do as they need and I defy anyone to stop them

Advertisement