Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Can somebody PM me the name of the Solar as a Service installer? I've a good idea of who it is but would like to double check.

Some users have posted that they paid extra to have more panels installed over and above the 8/9 (I presume its a 2.8/3.0KW system they put in?) panels the SaaS guys install. Whats the approximate ballpark per panel for extra ones?

We have a east/west facing roof (Ever so slightly south east, north west by a few degrees), would 4/5 panels on each roof be the best? Do installers charge more for this type of install?

Details: Kildare, 4 bed semi detached of ~1050 sq ft, usage of 10-12 KW a day on average from what I recall from some previous bills. We are home most days now with WFH so daytime usage should be decent, 24 hour tariff but can switch to night rate if it makes sense.

I would just be going for the solar panels only as the water diverter/battery is too much on the SaaS prices, is there anything that needs to be done to get these installed later on? Different inverters etc?

We also still have a fuse board (1980's build) instead of a circuit breakers, is this any impediment to getting solar panels? (It is on the upgrade list however!)

Post edited by Peteee on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Dont get the Zappi until you have the EV as you cant claim the 600 grant until you have the car, No works to be done before the grant is applied for, and you have 6 months to install after you get approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Deagol

Hi all, out of date for installers at this stage as I got my system from the Co.Down lads who won't come out this far anymore.

Can someone PM me recommended suppliers that would cover Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Well folks. After doing a good bit of reading back here and getting several quotes I'm thinking of settling with the following. Really appreciate the private messages on who to avoid as much as anything.

[ ] Install 11 No. 390W Jinko Solar Panels

[ ] Huaewi Sun2000 4KLT inverte

[ ] Supply and fit Solar Eddi Diverter

[ ] Building Energy Rating

[ ] Supply and fit Dual Array

[ ] Total (inc VAT) €10,615.50 - €2400 GRANT

[ ] Final price €8200. Going to haggle for 8K

Does this seem okay for the panels provided. Going to bite the bullet if nothing obvious raises a red flag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

That's a bit pricey no? If I'm reading the quote correctly, your saying "Install 11 No. 390W Jinko Solar Panels" so 4.3Kwp in panels, no battery, Eddi for €8200 ?

To put this in context, I paid last summer (prices have gone up a little since then) 5.3Kwp in panels, 8.2Kwhr battery, Eddi for €8500 (after grant)

Your spec shouldn't be more than €5500 or there abouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

I got a 4.2kw install with 5kw Battery and Eddi for 7k last month so agree with you it's a couple of grand over priced.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Cheers Con. Could you DM me the details of who installed yours if you don't mind. I would be stretching myself to pay anything close to 8k so if I don't need to I won't

Yeah - it stings a bit for sure that initial outlay chuck. Still though, if you can....and I know many many people will back me here, maximize your panels on the roof as much as you can. If you were going to spend €8K and you've an opportunity to get that for €2-3K lower, I'd spend some of that "savings" on a bigger array and a battery.

No one ever complains "Ohh, I bought too many panels!", it just doesn't happen.....but many here (myself included) have gone back or are planning on adding panels. It's far cheaper and more beneficial for your back pocket to do the panels up front. 5-6Kwp would cover your average household. The addition of a small (2.5kwhr) or medium (5.0Kwhr) battery would also massively help on your payback.

Yeah, I know I'm advising you to spend a few quid more, but you'll thank me in 6 months. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

House built 1982. Roof facing SW

12 panels. (380)

Inverter - hybrid

Wi-Fi monitoring

Hot water diverter - No

Micro / string 4.560 kWp

Battery storage 2.4 kWh

BER rating price €460 (discount)

Total System price €14460

Grant € 3000

Questions:

1. Is this a good quote?

2. Is battery storage adequate for electric car charging?

3. What is hot water diverter? Do I need one?

At the risk of sounding rude (I'm not trying to be), start here....

Interested in Solar PV? Read this FAQ first. — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Should have your questions covered (including quote)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

• High power output of 6.8kWp
    • Top of the range 18-panel system
    • Includes Inverter
    • 10 kWh Battery
    • Solar Generation: ~6,200kW

So i got a quote for 13k post sea grant for the above system

I'm Dublin based

can someone please tell me I can do way better

other relevant info

current usage is 20 k kWh p.a. Or more😵

roof where panels would be is south facing ( exactly!)

weve a heat pump which means much higher usage in winter

i could probably save a good bit by replacing all the downlighters with LED in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Now that's not bad at all. And that's a decently sized battery too.

That will generate a lot of power. Is your daytime usage high during Mar to Oct to use it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Definitely can do better, I’d say that’s about €2k high…

you wouldn’t want to be paying more than €11k for that system after grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

I don’t know is the answer, but my sense is from may to September we don’t use anywhere near as much, I normally turn the heat pump off for most of this time

I know then general consensus is to go as big as possible, but it is possible to oversize a system

Yeah, I'd jump on that bandwagon that you can go "too" big and effectively waste money. That said, 6.8Kwp sounds about right for a house with a heat pump and consuming 20K units a year. (that does seem an AWFUL lot btw - even for a heat pump)

Andy above mentions the quote you have is about €2K too high. If it was 6 months ago, I'd agree with that too.....but with the price hikes that i've seen across the board, and the fact that the €600 grant is now gone, I reckon €12,500 is probably a fair price to haggle down to if you can. That said your not being fleeced at €13K - so if they won't budge, that's not too bad.

On the surface though @Curiousness99 I think you have some investigation to do on what and when is using that 20K units. Is it washing, showers, heat pump, electric vehicles, etc You could equally save yourself a fat wad of cash by curbing your usage , if you can. LED, switching to night rate, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dracularsa

Can someone please send me the list of recommended installers for Dublin. Any recommendations on who to avoid is also welcome and much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Can't post the link to page.

It's Irish Solar PV & Battery systems owners group.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭al2009

Got 14 panels installed with no eddi from this company last year, net cost 6k, smaller inverter though at 3.6kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

Looking at the following quoted installed at €8.5k after grant on a 2 story:

• 10x 405 watt for 4.05kWp across 2 aspects
    • Sofar 5kW hybrid inverter
    • 2.4 kW Dyness
    • Eddi

Based on the original rule of thumb this initially seems a bit high, however a few posts suggested that prices have gone up a fair bit in recent months, and other quotes have been higher so I'm wondering if this is actually where the current market is at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 frisbee!

I found this forum pretty invaluable when shopping around so thought I'd throw my experience/quote in for anyones info.

Went with SAAS as my roof is small enough to fit 7 panels max, went for the power only option as adding the water diverter Perla Polite Soapsuds the repayments and our water is gas heated so financially didnt make sense. Looks like their prices are gone up online now, our total will be €2,400 for the panels and installation (2.56 kW), we also needed optimisers due to chimney shading so they put Enphase microinverters on each panel at 50c + VAT per panel per month so they'll come to about 60e per optimiser in the end.

Only issue I've had, an interested to hear any suggestions (or if there's a more relevant thread), the micros are Enphase and the smart meter (bit that goes in the fuse board) is Goodwe so they dont seem to communicate to each other very well, apparently if you get the hot water diverter then the app that goes with that is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭abbey

Hi all,

We had someone out from one of the One Stop Shop crowds looking at what we could do to make the house a little bit more comfortable and to cut running costs. I've read some of the previous posts with interest.

For our reasonably large 15 year old dormer bungalow for a family of 5, this is what was suggested.

Solar PV – 8.04Kwp 24 panel roof mounted system including all black panels, inverter and wi-fi monitoring. This price also includes a Hot Eddi Power Divert, a 10.00Kwhr PureDrive battery and one additional East/West shunt

It seems pricey compared to what has been suggested by posters here. Could someone PM me a recommendation for a company that might quote us in Meath? It would be good to have something to compare against.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

You didn't mention what the quote was?

Shouldn't be more than €13-14k max, even allowing for the Eddi and loss of battery grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Best I got recently was about 10% above the rule of thumb. Brought down to around 9% in the final quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

I'd be happy enough with that if it was a 5kw battery so I think a bit of haggling room left there even now.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭abbey

Sorry for not posting the price, it was coming in at just over €21k, as far as I could see this was without grant as we wouldn't have the money to get the house up to a B2 rating to avail of the SEAI grant that is a requirement of using a 'One Stop Shop'.

Is there a big difference in reliability or performance of the different branded panels / batteries or is it just down to profiteering?

Thanks to the guys who cam back to me some recommendations of who to contact, much appreciated.

Little or no difference between kit. A 400w panel will have much the same watts per SQ meter as a 300w panel. Inverters will largely just differ in how data can be retrieved or how they can be controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Got two quotes in so far but amazed at the diff between the two contractors

16x 370w panels (Monocrystalline 5. 9 kwp system)

1 x 6 kw Solis Inverter MPPT

1 x Emlite M19 Check meter

1 x battery dyness 5.1 kwh

1 x Eddi water diverter

I have to get my own BER done (is this normal?)

Total minus grant (9.4k euros) - this seems on the high side

14x 370w panels (Monocrystalline 5. 2 kwp system))

Sonnen Hybrid Inverter Battery 7.5kw

I have to get my own BER done

Total, not SEAI reg so no grant (16.5k euros)

SHOCKED! at the 2nd quote

Can anyone PM me a recommendation for the Munster area as I want to get another couple of quotes before I pull the trigger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

A bit of haggling on the first one and you aren't far off. Bin the second one, about 5k too much, even allowing for the grant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement