Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Mine is due for delivery today too. It'll be a grand thing for the workshop at that price.

To answer the question in the no chat thread - it's selected accounts only. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ring-wired-ps2499-3898795

• Registered Users Posts: 16,047 ✭✭✭✭event

Got my Phillips system today. I have it in the office and connected to my Echo Dot so my Spotify streams through it. Great purchase, delighted with it

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

How did you connect it? I Took mine out of the box, connected it up , tried it and put it back , to use in the gazebo when I finish painting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,047 ✭✭✭✭event

Put it in pairing mode and you can say 'Alexa connect' and it should see it.

Now music only comes out of the Phillips when connected, not the echo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You shouldn't paint it, you'll void the warranty 🙃🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Just arrived. Brand new. Never opened, box isn't even damaged. Nice one OP 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can you hook up the speakers to a TV? for surround sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭POBox19

It works on BT, but had to turn the volume up to near max on the Philips, so not great really. It might work better if you have a 3.5mm audio jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I got my Philips hifi system yesterday.

Its Brand new.

It looks nice and it is compact but unfortunately the sound is flat and tinny.

The speakers are very light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭seanin4711

general query!

I have avoided amazon uk since got stung last year when bought item and then anpost came with the paw out for vat & customs.

1 £16 electric tootbrush which seemed like a bargain ending up costing more than in store here!

went with Amazon Germany ever since.

my question is this

What value can you purchase before you incur vat,customs and excise charges?

thanks

J

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I joined Amazon prime about a year ago and been spending far to much ever since many a good deal, not once have i been charged more then the price Amazon have charged me.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Cookiee

You're charged eveything at check out (based on my experience) if you buy disptached from Amazon and not a third party seller

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Put items in your basket, go to checkout , the price you see is the price you pay and if for some unknown reason it is over that you won't be charged, if it turns out to be under then you will receive a credit .

Edit to include what Cookiee said .......... if you buy dispatched from Amazon and not a third party seller .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Does a used book dispatched by a 3rd party seller attract vat?

All purchases attract VAT. Amazon remove the UK vat from the price and then apply the Irish VAT. That's why there is a very slight change in the price (1% extra I think) at checkout. Items above a €150 may attract duty but there are exemptions such as products made in UK.

Amazon is registered with Revenue so the price you see at checkout is final and won't incur any additional fees or charges but third party sellers (i.e items not despatched by Amazon) on Amazon might not be.

All purchases attract VAT.

Except for VAT exempt items, including books.

Does a used book dispatched by a 3rd party seller attract vat?

It's hit or miss I believe. Some books directly sold by Amazon even incorrectly add the VAT on but it's typically automatically refunded afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭jos22

this is the email that amazon UK sent regarding Brexit and customs

VAT & Duties Calculation

-----------------------------------

When shopping on Amazon.co.uk, all prices are shown inclusive of UK VAT before checkout but this is removed and updated with any Irish VAT and / or duties that are due when you proceed to checkout and select an Irish delivery address. Here are some common examples:

On orders less than €150 dispatched from Amazon UK (Irish VAT due):

- The price you see before checkout is inclusive of UK VAT, at the appropriate rate (e.g. 20%).

- UK VAT is removed at checkout and you will instead see Irish VAT applied (e.g. 23%) once an Irish delivery address is selected.

- E.g. a cable with a price of €15.18 (including UK VAT), changes to €15.55 at checkout (€12.65 with UK VAT removed + €2.90 Irish VAT added).

On orders more than €150 dispatched from Amazon UK (custom duties and taxes where applicable):

- The price you see before checkout is inclusive of UK VAT (e.g. 20%).

- UK VAT is removed at checkout and once an Irish delivery address is selected

you will instead see 1) an item price which excludes VAT, and 2) an Import Fee Deposit which includes Irish VAT (23%), and any applicable duties (for some products no duties are applied).

- E.g. a ladies coat with a price of €200.92 (including UK VAT) changes to €230.65 at checkout (UK VAT is removed and replaced with Irish VAT and duties, which in this example would be €167.43 ex-VAT price + €63.22 Import Fee Deposit and Irish VAT).

On orders dispatched from Marketplace Sellers:

- The price of items which are dispatched from our Marketplace Sellers are inclusive of any applicable VAT and duties, and no further payment will be due. If for any reason you are charged additional costs (e.g., by customs authorities), in addition to the purchase price and delivery, you can contact the Seller to request a refund of these costs.

- Should the Seller not reply or resolve the issue for you, you are eligible to file an A-to-Z Guarantee claim with us to request a refund.

- For more information about our A-to-Z Guarantee, please visit https://amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GQ37ZCNECJKTFYQV

• Registered Users Posts: 23,498 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

FWIW, I bought something that I was charged €46 customs on from DHL. I got onto Amazon and they refunded me no problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

Apologies if this has been answered before but I’ve never used prime before and brexit went over my head at the time. I have several items in the cart all with free delivery and none very expensive, coming to around 180 sterling. Does prime delivery cover me from getting screwed over by customs? A relative mentioned in passing that could buy them all separately? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You'll be sound. Amazon will show you the total price at checkout which will include relevant customs/vat.

For a few months last year you could avail of no vat at all on items under €22ish, so that's when it made sense to split them, but that's gone a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,028 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If the order exceeds 150 Euro in value then you will have to pay extra. Split the order to keep below the 150 threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

Thanks lads, appreciate the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Anyone come across a 12 month Antihistamine deal?, there was a great one this time last year from allacan for around 7euro, cant see any on prime this year

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭amdaley28

We just bought two computers @ stg599 each in the past couple of weeks. Didn't pay anything extra apart from the difference between UK & Irish Vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭POBox19

I got that deal in late April last year. They are currently offered for £5.99 + delivery £7.76. I'd wait a few more weeks to see if the deal comes around again.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

I read previously here that you should use your revolut to pay the GBP price on Amazon UK, as the rates are better ( cheaper price)...but I've recently noticed that the EUR price displayed now seems to be better than the revolut converted GBP price. Would this be right? Has something changed?

This seems like a bargain related comment? Apologies if not!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I did a quick sanity check just now, I picked an iPad at random that is showing at £326.96. The currency converter price on Amazon comes in at €400.72. Revolut is showing at €393.04 (as of right now). So Revolut is still the better option.

Advertisement