Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian family moving to Ireland 2023 - Best town for young outdoorsy family (2+2 small kids)?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

apparently 67 percent of Canadians are Christian with the majority of those catholic .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭yagan

Super shoe horning you did there.

If you've ever lived in an anglo country you might appreciate how Catholic schools are considered prestigious and exclusive. I went to a standard cbs in ireland and when abroad when I mentioned that nearly everyone assumed that meant I was from a wealthy family.

Anyway it's a rapidly fading reality when covid has actually pushed up the average priest age to nearly 70.

Most parents who bother with all that church fuss do it to avoid being inheritance threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

38% Catholic. Which means 62% not, which is ‘most’ in my book!

But yes, many Catholics in Canada. And they would be welcomed and celebrated in an ET school.

Anyway, sorry for my part in detailing this thread.

Your post made it seem that Catholicism wasn’t prevalent in Canada when in fact it turns out it’s the largest religion.

anyway I’m surprised these educate together schools celebrate all religions I thought the whole point was to leave religion out of it.

people get too worked up about it all, most take it for what it is, pageantry that’s part of our heritage , if the best school nearby is the local catholic national school I wouldn’t be getting too worked up about it. I went to a catholic national school in the 80s and 90s and managed to figure out what I thought about religion all by myself .

They celebrate all children and their heritage. They celebrate diversity. They are multi-denominational not non-denominational. But it’s religious education rather than religious instruction.

Going to a Catholic school as a Catholic child who then grows up to decide not to be Catholic is not at all the same as being a non-Catholic child in a Catholic school.

• Advertisement

ok we can leave it there , it’s up to the OP as to how important or not religion is to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Killaloe / Ballina

These are twin villages on opposite sides of the Shannon river, connected by a bridge, at the outlet end of Lough Derg. Fits all your criteria.

I wouldn't call Ireland exactly outdoorsy as it's too damp a lot of the time. I'm an Australian and think Ireland is a very indoorsy country. I'm hoping to pack up and leave for NZ as I have had enough of the taxes and weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

@@houseyhouse

Boards.ie is just a woeful place!! And so full of disinformation

Post edited by Board.surf on

I think you’ve confused me with another poster. I was agreeing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's Ballina, County Limerick, I think. As opposed to the better known one in Mayo.

OP, something to be aware of is the multiple use of place names. Outside of larger cities, it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

@houseyhouse My bad. Was actually not supposed to tag anyone but it won't allow me to delete the tag. Fixed the post instead.

Hope OP goes somewhere else for advise as the gloom mongers seem to love boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Yes. And 99.9 per cent of the people there are the salt of the earth. There are a few bad families in 2 estates in Mullingar that get all the press. You never see them around town as they sit at home all day drinking and bare knuckle boxing training.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Tullamore is not a patch on Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Killaloe/Ballina is actually Clare/Tipp but it would be pretty heavily linked to Limerick and an easy mistake to make.

It's a bit like Shannon Airport Co. Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Daney

Hi @Board.surf , thankyou for the excellent post! It's reassuring to read of a family who made the move and made it work for them! I will definitely PM as would love to hear what areas you are most interested in on your house hunt! Good luck with that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Daney

Thankyou all so much for the suggestions/ recommendations and things to consider. I'm a researcher by nature but even so hadnt considered things such as air quality for instance, which was an insight when looking at the historical data! I had forgotten how much solid fuel such as peat is still burned in Ireland which might account for such figures in the winter in a number of cities. With that being said there are plenty of areas in Ireland where the air-quality is great year round.

Since posting originally my wife and I have looked more into the job situation in Ireland. Remote work for a Canada business would lead to a double taxation which we would then have to chase, so if we move to Ireland we would likely work for Irish businesses. The issue with this is that the tax in Ireland is high (on avg 10% higher in Ireland than Canada for us) and the salaries are lower. So that's a big issue for us as Im in my early forties, my wife in her late thirties, there's money still to be made so that we can retire comfortably and give our kids a leg-up on their lives.

Regarding schooling I was educated in an all boy catholic grammer school and my wife at a mixed-gender, non-denominational public school. We were both academic students but the school i went to had a big reputation (for nothing in my opinion) and I actually feel that she had the more rounded education and better overall experience. She was taught drama, taught to cook at school, played a wide range of sports and had male friendships and so the educated together schooling in Ireland sounds ideal for what we are looking for. I missed out on friendships with girls at school going to an all boys school and soccer was the go to sport every Phys Ed class. Regarding the religion element although both my wife and I were raised as catholics we would now consider ourselves agnostic. However we would not be against our children attending a single-religion school if we felt it had a great curriculum, facilities, ranked well in performance and most importantly if our kids seemed happy there.

Regarding weather, we have both been to Ireland during many times of the year and have experienced it first hand. The wind is the main issue, it never really stops blowing especially in the North West. But the winters are quite a bit milder than even BC and the spring comes early in Ireland relative to us. I have spent summers on the beaches of Donegal and it has been heavenly. We live East of Vancouver city and experience very hot summers (46c on occasions this year), much wetter winters than Ireland (our Novembers are biblical) and we get snow most winters (we only like snow for skiing on, we'd prefer it on the mountains!).

I do have a quick question though regarding summers in Ireland (and this segues into where im going with some of our decisions) - are summers there sunny from West to East or is there still considerable variation and rain to be had in the west during the summer? The reason I ask this is that with all of the cards laid out before us we are considering buying a holiday home in Ireland first for our summer vacations. Then having been there as a family for a few summers we could get a much better feel for everything. Should we love it after a few summers we could look at moving more permanently. So this obviously changes the original criteria and now the question becomes - Where in Ireland should we consider purchasing a summer home with a budget of 300K and lots to do for our two young boys?

In June I am considering driving down from Donegal (where I have family) all along the coast to Westport (stopping at Bundoran and Sligo). Should I continue down to parts of Kerry? Is it possible to get anything in the East with this budget? Since its a holiday home we would like the possiblity of renting or airBnB'ing it the remainder of the year....so this might be a factor to consider? Thankyou again for all of your suggestions!

D

Sunny and Ireland don't really go together all that much.

Because of cloud from the Atlantic the default weather is often dull, overcast.

Weather isn't particularly reliable.

The summer of 2007 it rained for almost two months:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/washout-summer-beats-winter-with-49-days-rain-in-a-row-1.952316

You cannot be sure of the weather any day in Ireland unfortunately. The morning could start off beautiful and the afternoon rainy and windy!

It is absolutely fabulous when the sun shines. Purely my own view, and I am not a weather expert but May and June at usually nice months, and September. I find towards the end of July and during August, it can be rainy. But that's just my opinion! There is a weather forum on boards, and they might be able to help you with historical weather charts or some such, worth a try!

The East is definitely sunnier, but the West is gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you want to give your kids a leg up, take a good hard look at Irish death duties, reportedly some of he highest in the world, as is the 33% capital gains tax. If you invest in ETFs, you might want to look at the loony tax on some of those too.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Summer on the west coast of Ireland is just when the rain is warmer.

OP if you are going to be working, then proximity to possibly workplaces needs to factor in to your thinking. Even with the trend to WFH you will need to attend sometimes - and you need a home with good broadband. I'm assuming that your family connections give you a passport - to get sponsorship, you would need to be able to do a job shich no one in all of Europe is suitable and available for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭fits

The sunniest part of ireland is within 10 km of the coast from cork city around to wicklow town. But I wouldn’t let that be my only factor in the decision. The weather isn’t as bad as people make out. The spring and autumn here can be wonderful. I absolutely hated those seasons in Finland when I lived there. The worst thing about Irish weather is it’s year round unpredictability which makes it difficult to plan outdoor activities.

I have family links there but if I were buying a holiday home it would be in Co Kerry without question. My childhood was full of trips up mountains and boating. There is always something happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭readysetgo

Clonakilty or Westport

they are your options

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Ireland is not as friendly in reality as the tourists tell you, just so you know ! Waterford has great protestant schools and is fab for out doors loads of beaches hikes and history very civilised & not as cold try to live in the Newtown area of the city.. Adare Co Limeriick all the charm of country life & out door pursuits & close to a great city. Galway is a hell hole you cant move for gridlock very badly designed. West Cork is a super part of ireland as is County Kerry. You will find good education everywhere irish people are well educated and whether you chose catholic protestant or ET schools our teachers are well paid & actually like what they do and do it well. The midlands can be a bit of a desert coastal areas are better for quality of life & out door life. Horses are a good out door pursuit lots of pony clubs for children and a good way to meet people.

It's absolutely worth driving down through Galway, Clare, Kerry, West Cork, East Cork, on to the Copper Coast and, if you are interested in the East Coast, county Wexford is a must.

For livability see Westport, Ennistymon and Lahinch, Killarney, Kinsale, Wexford Town and surrounds. There are countless towns but the above would be my top livability picks on the coast.

For amazing outdoors, see anywhere along the trail. However, might be best to see the most "livable" towns on your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Killarney, without a doubt. it has everything.

Third level education could be anywhere, depending on what your kids decide to study, so it's difficult to tivk that box.

If I had a choice to live anywhere in the world, it would be, and it is, Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Wow! I was there last weekend and hated it. Feels so fake and tourist centric.

Anyway the OP is now looking for a holiday home location and I don't think Killarney fits the bill. I'd look around Ballina/Killaloe or Ennistymon for a holiday home.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

If I had a decent budget for a holiday home I’d head for Kinsale, Clonakilty, Kinvara or outskirts of Galway city on the west side. Actually I’d live in any of those areas all year long if I had the means to afford it.

Ireland is a small enough country and Mose places are accessible in a couple of hours. I live in East Galway and on a fine and sunny day like today OP we can wake up early, hit the road and be in Connemara, or Clare or Dublin in under 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

you were here for a weekend?

So you were here as a tourist.....

There's a big difference between 'visiting' some place, and living there.

Advertisement