Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

These have always had a kind of perfect multiplayer balance for a lot of people though. You have PvP, co-op in the PvE, the messages etc.

Even if you don't co-op, the messages have that shared experience / purpose to them that separates the From games from other strictly single player games. But yeah single player games are not dead when games like this are still being made!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Thought I was getting an innocent hug. Turns out I've been walking around with a health debuff for hours because of it.

Bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Game's teaching you important life lessons here, not accepting hugs from strangers should be near the top.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Update 1.003 out now, 1.5GB on PS5.

Additional Elements Added

• Added a function to record an icon and the name of an NPC on the map when you encounter that NPC.
    • Added NPC Jar-Bairn.
    • Added new quest phases for the following NPCs: Diallos/ Nepheli Loux/ Kenneth Haight/ Gatekeeper Gostoc.
    • Added some summonable NPCs in multiple situations.
    • Increased the number of patterns of objects player can imitate when using Mimic’s Veil.
    • Added night background music for some open field area.

Also includes bug fixes and item/weapon balancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Increased effectiveness of shields, nice!

A lot of ye won't be happy with this I'm guessing. 'Decreased the damage of spirit summoned when using the item Mimic Tear Ash and changed the spirit’s behavior pattern.'

Lots of buffs in that list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Apparently Moonveil poise was nerfed, so it still does decent damage but the weapon art less likely to stagger enemies.

Boooo! Boo Elden Ring! Booooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is it not your poise when performing the weapon art that's nerfed so your more likely to be interupted while performing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No, sorry maybe poise is the wrong term (and it was already easy to be interrupted while performing it anyway). I think I read that the attack is just less likely to stagger enemies now. It wasn't listed specifically in the patch notes so hard to know exactly.

Mimic Tear also got a bit of a nerf. Won't use as many magic attacks now and I think does less damage. That's probably fair enough anyway. Its main benefit should be as tank/aggro rather than damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This a good point and it makes the game world feel more alive and organic, I like seeing the ghostly images of other players fade in and out as they go about their business.

Good to see the patch addresses some of the NPC quests, some were clearly unfinished and ended abruptly. The lack of NPC summons was an odd one compared to previous games, there was one boss fight were you were clearly have meant to have encountered some of the summons before hand but didn't have summon signs in the game.

Hopefully I can resurrect the gatekeeper guy, I murdered him because he was in the boss room after the fight and wasn't moving on or selling stuff so killed him to gain access to his bell bearing and stock.

Doing some reading apparently he needs to be alive to continue one of the other quests mentioned in the patch notes.

• Advertisement

You can do that forgiveness thing which was available in the other games. Not sure if it'll bring him back to life though.

Resurrection is a thing now for for some of the NPC's when you use the celestial dew for forgiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Can't speak more highly of this game. It's just so well thought out. I had never played a From game prior to the Demon Souls remake as I never liked RPG style games and had it in my head that it's all these games were. I was wrong.

I'd go close to saying Demon Soul's was my favourite game ever. It's in top 5 anyway but this game blows it out of the water.

Stormveil Castle has to be one of the best designed 'levels' ever in a game. From the depths to the rooftops it's just incredible. I also really liked jumping around the roof tops of Raya Academy. There are some jumps there that feel like you have to get the exact frame right to make it but it's just so rewarding. There is just so much to do and explore. Even the way you have to access the Devine Tower of Caelid is just so well thought out.

Incredible game. The value I've gotten out of it for €80 is hard to match.

How did you manage to pay 80 quid for it? I got it for 44 on kinguin.

Just killed the Erdtree Burial Watchdog in the Stormfoot Catacombs, 3 attempts without any summoning so not a very hard fight but still enjoyable. Not sure where to explore next. I want to explore Mistwood beside Limgrave but the phucking giant bears are a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Think that's what it was on the PS store anyway. Wasn't far off it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I'm good to not have to worry about NG+ for the next year or so....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

One area that From don't get the kudos they deserve is in animation. Naughty dog get all the plaudits for their technical skills with realistic animation. However the way enemies move in From games looks incredible especially the more exotic creatures were there is no point of reference and probably had to be hand rigged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nerfing the Mimic Tear is violence against those who finally upgraded it to its max a few hours before the patch dropped, i.e. me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

My brain is still hardwired from playing endless amounts of Bloodborne. If I get hit I immediately think; "Hit back, hit back" to get health back despite that mechanic not being there.

Margit is no more, the shackle and the NPC summon definitely helped, great fight though. I think it took 6 or 7 attempts, I was enjoying the fight so much I didn't mind dying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I was thinking the exact same thing earlier - the way one of the normal mobs with a sword staggers towards you swinging - it's very well animated. One of the few times you can stand an appreciate it without stressing you're about to get hit.

Still in the acadamy area, got lucky with that Carian knight chap as he fell down a lift shaft and granted me his shield - goes lovely with my Carian armour set. Heading back in to try the boss again, think I'm on my 4th attempt now.

There's another shackle later which I actually found BEFORE meeting the boss so was able to use it, did the Margit one work in the same way in that it smacks it the f down on the ground ? It was immensely satisfying!!!! 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I feel I'm doing gods work.

Wouldnt shut up about elden ring to my friend. As a result her 12 year old son bought the game. Spent an hour video calling him telling him about what the stats mean and how to avoid fat rolling.

I'm seeing a pattern to how most of the NPC side quests pan out

Nearly every single one dies or has something bad happen, well not Boc he's happy out calling me Lord but I did read up on that and he got the lucky in my game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah Margit's schackle helps a lot with that fight - made a point of getting it first. You can use it maybe twice during the fight but outside of that it's useless.

Academy done, the wolves helped a lot and having Blood Slash on my Uchi +11. Almost prefer Blood Slash on the Uchi to Transient Moonlight on the Moonveil - feels quicker to cast. Anyway, onwards north I go.

Booted up the game and opened the map expecting a bunch of npc icons but found only 3 or 4 who are standing around saying the same thing. Their icons are tiny so I'm slowly scrolling around a zoomed in map looking for them. Better than before but was expecting a bit more.

On the positive, i was exploring Caelid, and found i had to go down a huge cliff to get where i wanted to go, fell off, died and spawned at a marika post at the bottom, totally meant that.

Jesus I thought the NPC icons were done well. Not to intrusive and nice and clean.

Are NPCs listed when you press triangle on the map screen? Forgot to check earlier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Made it the whole way through the Capital tonight, although it’s a massive level so I think I missed a tonne of optional side areas - will have to go back and check a few of the other paths out for items.

I’m currently at INT 50 or so and a mix of the Mimic Tear, Moonveil Katana and Rock Sling are absolutely shredding many bosses at the moment. Got all three bosses in the Capital (I’m including the one to get in in the first place 😂) on my first go. The nerfing seems fairly mild across the board.

The really tricky fight on the other hand was the double Carian Knight boss in the area beneath the Capital. Absolutely punishing fight as they wipe out summons quick and both hit super hard. But the good old Moonveil’s special ability saved the day - finished with a sliver of health, but was able to lure and slash pretty safely, especially when down to just one knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's also dumbed down now - I spent a couple of hours grinding at Melania and he was just rushing her and dying from rot.

But still it's handy.

• Advertisement

I'm about 7 feet from the telly, probably a lot easier to see closer. No, triangle still just shows sites of grace.

Advertisement