Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Murray did well last week and was the right guy to bring on at the time, but against Scotland we'll likely be ahead on the hour and will want to speed things up and blitz the Scots in the last 20. That's why I'd like to see Casey on the bench.

I'd bring in Conan for POM and I'd also have Coombes or Timoney on the bench. I want us to go for maximum impact, rather than experienced, calm heads.

And I'd start Baloucoune this week, I think he's earned it and we need to get minutes into his legs as he could be a real asset for us over the next few years. We're likely to be on the front foot a lot v Scotland so it's a good game to give him a run in.

I'd also get Loughman involved. Not because I think he's outstanding (I think he's solid), but because Healy is finished, and if Loughman is the next cab off the rank, he needs the exposure. Killer from the start, Loughman on the bench.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Gerry Thornley seems to think they only change in the 23 will be threadwell to the bench with henderson starting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Suggests Conan will start as well which would be a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The obsession with "getting minutes" into players is strange to me. Ireland have a settled side and both wingers had a great game last week. We are in with the chance of a 6 nations championship and no idea why anyone would think risking that just is justified.

Also the obsession with Coombes is a bit crazy now. Our backrow has played well all tournament and Scotland have a decent backrow. Why would you want a player who has zero experience at this level coming onto bench/team?

Loughman has played when for Ireland before? why is Healy finished?

Scotland will be gunning for Ireland, mostly because we spent the last few years telling them how sh*te they are, plus they love playing the EOS interview calling them bottlers. This is not a game just to throw in players. Win the game, the NZ tour you can throw in players as nothing on the line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

We also have Scotland in our RWC group, one slip up against them and we don’t make a quarter final potentially.

• Advertisement

Ireland have a settled side and both wingers had a great game last week. We are in with the chance of a 6 nations championship and no idea why anyone would think risking that just is justified.

Starting Baloucoune isn't a risk IMO, he's quality and has shown it in Europe for Ulster. He started v Argentina and looked comfortable at that level. I agree both wingers were great last week, but I'd like to see us be proactive not reactive. A small amount of unenforced rotation is healthy, builds depth and breeds competition for places. Sure we could play it safe and stick with the tried and tested like we always have, but where has that got us? Baloucoune would be a bold, offensive selection. Scotland won't have done as much homework on him as they have on Lowe and Conway.

Also the obsession with Coombes is a bit crazy now. Our backrow has played well all tournament and Scotland have a decent backrow. Why would you want a player who has zero experience at this level coming onto bench/team?

So that he gains said experience...obviously. If we only ever picked players who had experience at this level, we'd pick the same players forever. Again, you look at picking Coombes as a "risk". Whereas I'd look at it as just picking the best team for this game. I want to see our bench come on, make a big impact and score tries late on, not slow the game down and close out a 3 point lead. We should beat Scotland comfortably. They're worse than Wales who we beat easily.

Loughman has played when for Ireland before? why is Healy finished?

He hasn't. Same way Mack Hansen hadn't before the Wales game. And Lowry before the Italy game. Healy is finished at this level and the England game showed that. If he's our backup loosehead at the WC, we're goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Joe Schmidt and Farrell have both capped plenty of players and changed the team.

As I said the obsession by some fans to stick in players to get minutes in the 6 nations is ridiculous. Healy is finished based on one match with an illegal scrum 😂 Furlong was under more pressure so is he finished as well?

I'm sorry, where in my post did I criticise Farrell or Schmidt? Where?

I just mentioned some changes I'd like to see for this game. The players I mentioned wouldn't just be there to "get minutes" .They'd be there on merit because they're good enough, like Hansen and Lowry. The fact that they'll be better for the experience is an added bonus.

Healy isn't an effective ball carrier anymore, he got absolutely melted or knocked on when he carried v England. He also doesn't have the ball handling ability to play the way we're trying to. He's obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I agree. I think a couple of changes to winning team is a good thing. I would much rather they rotate in new caps/inexperienced players to a settled, winning team than dropping them in after a poor run of results or be forced by injury to bring them in when they aren't ready. The days of picking the same 15 week in and week out are long gone, top teams are always rotating players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I know it's more than a year away but if you had a choice of NZ or France in the quarters who are you picking?

I'd probably prefer NZ at the moment but hard to know where they will be in 18 months time. France at home are daunting currently.

• Advertisement

It's very hard to pick, you'd rarely say you want to play NZ. But then France at home, who knows. Either is ridiculously tough. I just hope we go in without too many injuries and actually throw a punch or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

France have stuck with the same XV for the Championship so far. It really isn’t that unusual to see minimal changes from any side in the 6Ns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Have they? No changes in 4 matches?

Edit: Just checked. You're wrong. They have made changes. Also the occasional change on the bench. And I think thats the right way to do it. Settled team with a couple of changes.

Russell dropped to the bench. Kinghorn starts at 10.

VDM suspended too. It's really not a very intimidating Scottish XV. I expect a 25 point win here , at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Return of the Mack

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Conan back in at 8 with POM dropping back to the bench. The right decision I think. Need more power up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Conway with a knee niggle so he drops out of the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Not much to say about it really, is there?

Good team. We should win this handsomely. Great for Hansen and for the squad that he's shown himself able for this level and can just slot in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Really would prefer to see Baloucoune a right winger on the right wing and Henshaw, a superior player, Start 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

With Conway out, I think I’d like to have seen baloucoune come in. Nothing against Hansen. Just a missed opportunity I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah I feel like we've missed out on not picking Baloucoune, his form is good and he is an actual right wing.

But in saying that I like Hansen and he has had a good championship so far and I'm sure will go well.

Henshaw might be a superior player, but he's not a superior 12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I dont agree. Especially the way Ireland are trying to play. Henshaw is a better player IMHO.

Take 2021 for example Henshaw was player of the year started 4 6 nations games at 12. Aki started 1 and get a red. Henshaw started 2 Lions tests at 12 and was one of the best players..

I aslo don't like Aki's tackle technique either. Too upright, got sent off last year and in WC and had a very close call last week v England.

If you want to just crash the ball up maybe,maybe he is a better 12. But if you want to play rugby I'd have Henshaw all day long and twice on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭OldRio

Good team. The changes make sense. IMHO Aki is much more than a crash ball option. His passing has been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bellmeister

You don't think just maybe Scotland are targeting what they see as Ireland's weaknesses and playing a better kicker to target a weak full back under a high ball and a stronger runner to target an immobile Irish 10?

Scotland's issues this year have been aimless kicking and giving away penalties from losing the breakdown but they have matched all the teams they have faced up front. Previously Ireland used to destroy them up front and score points through attrition, i'm not sure that's going to happen on Saturday. Odds are certainly in Ireland's favour but Scotland have been in every game they played so I'm not expecting Ireland to blow them away. If it's close Russell could come on for the last 20 and cause issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Wow....

If we're at a point where Ireland's "weakness" is Hugo Keenan at full back then I say PRAISE BE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Can't imagine they see Keenan as a weakness because he's not one. As for been in every game so far well they were demolished at home against France...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lol

Imagine after last weekend posting in the rugby forum and trying to claim Hugo Keenan is weak under the high ball

I'm actually embarrassed for that guy

😂😂😂😂😂

Advertisement