Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

yea i had hoped - it could have been a game changer

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Curious about this also. 117 million for coupons is not much, the fact that they are paying it means that for all their bravado they do care about their credit status and obligations. Maybe they routed unfrozen funds some way through the system, or maybe those payments were specifically unblocked because it's foreign reserves leaving Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I think Putin' fate is sealed after Biden's words calling him war criminal. No one makes negotiations or deals with war criminals I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭jackboy

They do once the war criminal is still in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Many won't care

There are more effective ways to seal someone's fate

Putin needs jailing, otherwise it's a case of "don't invade a country, the US, NATO, the UN, etc. will refer to you in quite disparaging terms"

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

The ICC can find Putin guilty of as many war crimes it wants, but he'd never actually be handed over unless there was a move against Putin within Russia. The priority is obviously peace between the countries and I would hazard a guess that the fine print of any peace deal agreed between Russia and Ukraine has a clause which agrees to drop talk of accusations of war crimes toward either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

The Russians are trying to claim it was the Azoz Battalion who mined and bombed the building.

They bombard the city with Artillery and then go "oh look it was someone else". Dirty scabby fcukers. I sincerely hope they roast in hell for eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭deravarra

Maybe he doesnt have the time, but the sanctions - provided they are kept in place - should serve to discourage any bravado from Putin's successors.

Russia's military has been a joke. Far weaker than we thought. But their nukes still pack a punch ... that red button looks tempting to a despot like Putin

It's more of a suicide, rather than red, button.

He may still use it if his ego is so tarnished. Hitler certainly Would have.

• Advertisement

swap at will the words despot/desparate, and you'll find the red button could be more tempting to someone looking a failure.

Generals being killed on the front line, deserters, FSB heads under house arrest, unrest amongst genpop - there'd want to be a putsch sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Would be great. Although, do we know if the Belorussians are any better at this than the Regular-flavor Russians?

So far they appear to be about as effective at cracking down on civilians with thier police forces. But the Belarusian army? They're the junior partner in a "Union State" with Russia, so I'm guessing they aren't really better off there.

Here's hoping that it's their final push, and that it fails so hilariously that they'll go home out of embarrassment alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Thats interesting, in two years time where will Putin be on the world stage? What condition will Russia be in, economically and militarily-wise? As things are going, I'd say that now is Putins last throw of the dice, and he will throw everything he has at it. Ukraine, on the other hand in two years time, while maybe still structurally damaged ( but with rebuilding well underway) and with a completely re-equipped military, and a force to be reckoned with in their own right. Putins days of rolling his army up to and crossing the Ukrainian border are done. When whats left of his army go home, it will be a one way trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Migrants from third countries in the Middle East and Africa have been turning up in EU cities claiming they are students in Ukraine in order to obtain refugee status, and in France, up to one in three claiming they are fleeing from Ukraine are not Ukrainian nationals. Arrival figures include more than 7.5% Algerians, 3.5% Ivorians, 3.5% Moroccans, 2.5% Indians, 2.5% Kyrgyz, 2% Congolese, 1 5% Cameroonians, 1% Pakistanis, but also Nigeriens, Chinese, Guineans, Angolans. Many people arrived by bus, from Berlin in particular, but also by train or by plane, also arrived by their own means in other cities. So refugees are arriving by plane in France from a war zone. it doesn't clarify if they are arriving from outside of the EU.....

Refugee status does not depend on nationality!!! But the facts still remain, there have been non-EU nationals in the past decade who have taken advantage of the humanitarian crisis and are now cynically exploiting the genuine suffering of people fleeing from a real war to enter the EU illegally. The leader of the Sweden Democrats, Jimmie Åkesson democrats called for a pause on all Non-European refugees entering the country in order to prioritize those who need urgent help, Ukrainians. This is a country that took immense pride in the country’s decision to accept 16.3,000 refugees in 2015, most from Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan, and has accepted an extremely high number of migrants from other countries over the years, and have paid the price for it too.

Lukashenko has sent thousands of migrants to its border with Poland to provoke and antagonize the EU over the past two years. The EU is aware he is weaponizing migrants and using them as political weapons in response to the sanctions the EU put in place for his actions against political opponents and protesters. Now Lukashenko appears to be utilizing the war on Ukraine for his "hybrid war". On Tuesday, March 15th, in the section Poland-Belarus PSGKuźnica, four groups of illegal immigrants crossed the border into Poland, 23 foreign nationals: from Iraq, Iran, Yemen, and Syria were detained. This month, there have already been 624 attempts to illegally enter the territory from a distance.

Among Ukrainian refugees are those who are economic migrants who will rear their heads later on down the line as we have seen on a thousand different occasions across Europe as a result of Merkl's infamous mistake in 2015. The Paris terrorist attacks in 2015 are an example of how a number of the attackers had come to Europe through Greece posing as refugees and how one of the terrorists Abdelhamid Abaaoud had sent a scout to "map out" the migrant route into Europe prior to the attacks. In an interview with BBC's 5 Live Investigates team [link]. A Libyan security advisor Abdul Basit Haroun had warned Europe that the Islamic State was sending operatives to Europe posing as refugees. This was ignored. Surely to God, the past 6 years have woken them up....it appears not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Good job EskimoHunt isn't still posting; he'd have a complete nuclear meltdown all over the thread.

Regarding how Russia is paying some of it's interest payments obligations. It looks like certain national regulators could be allowing them to pay if they have the money, i.e. if Russia owes X an amount in Euros to counterparties Y and they have it. Again it seems to be based on a wide range of factors. Will see how this progresses over time, and payments can range in complexity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭brickster69

The west has placed sanctions on it's own banks not Russia's. Russia has instructed JP Morgan to pay the debt from it's funds they hold, if JP Morgan don't for whatever reason, as far as Russia is concerned the debt is now paid. JP Morgan effectively is in default if they don't transfer, albeit it not being JPM's fault.

Wall Street have been buying up Russian bonds since day 1 of this war and are effectively funding Russia

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Russian banks are sanctioned. If they have money in international custodians (which most do) then it's usually blocked.

This asset block also includes hundreds of billions of good assets held by the Russian central bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Non-ukrainian nationals fleeing Ukraine should be facilitated as much as possible to return to their country of origin. The 3 year stay in the EU without visa requirement was not intended for them, they have somewhere else to go that is safe. There was a case there last week on social media where a Moroccan student was looking to come to Ireland with his Ukrainian girlfriend. I don't think the rules should really cater to this type of situation.

The March crop for Ukrainian farmers continues to be a bumper one

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Everything comes back to money.

It started with a multi-billionaire ordering the slaughter of innocent non-rich people, and now other rich people elsewhere in the world come up with ways to capitalise on the situation.

Disgusting but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

The sanctions on Russia will not be what people are expecting. There will be a lot of superficial stuff like western companies pulling out, but the Iran deal will give Russia an out AND the sanctions that do stick depend on enforcement. With regards to Iran, the USA hasn't bothered that much to be ruthlessly effecting the sanctions. The same will happen with Russia. Over time, Russia will develop workarounds and learn to exploit loopholes.

It will not bring about the collapse of Russia. It may cause enough disruption to foment internal dissent, which did happen in Iran but was brutally supressed.

Look at North Korea. Heavily sanctioned, cut off from the world - still able to build ICBMs...albeit the last one didn't make it very far in testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Seems to me he is bringing anyone with a few quid in for a loyalty test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Today is the 8th anniversary of the annexation of Crimea

On 17 March, following the official announcement of the referendum results, the Supreme Council of Crimea declared the formal independence of the Republic of Crimea, comprising the territories of both the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol, which was granted special status within the breakaway republic.

Dundalk, Co. Louth

I much rathered when Yeltsin would fall asleep in a plane on a layover.

Those were the days comrad!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I'm not allowing myself to be optimistic. I'm still afraid that Putin will win simply because he has so many more troops and so much more equipment.

I am more hopeful than two weeks ago. That 60km long convoy heading towards Kyiv didn't look great. But with many of the vehicles abandoned and troops deserting, it's just showing that seeming might does not always win the day.

The Ukrainians are far more motivated and are doing a lot of damage.

The russian troops were not prepared for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I really hope you are right. I am just afraid of letting my desire to see Ukraine win or at least hold off the Russians make me too optimistic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement