Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expired NCB - Anybody been able to revive it

Options
  • 15-03-2022 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking to return to the saddle after a hiatus of about 5 years. Unfortunately my 5 years NCB has now lapsed.

Has anybody had any luck with getting a company to recognise it again? Kinda knackered if I have to start at zero. Cant get quotes online for the bike I want (s1000 xr) when I put in 0 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Unlikely... I even had difficulty with RSA when I moved back to Ireland... Had a 5 year NCB (on the car) with RSA in another country and they wouldn't accept it here...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

Cant be done - it always expires 2 years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Nope, you're SO. My SO has BTDT, and hers was barely out by a few months (after a maternity no less, which in & of itself was contentious grounds....) with C-N, and no amount of reasoning, cajoling worked. Had to start all over again.

That said, on re-starting, with Liberty, price on an SV650S was very fair.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Thanks guys.

I figured as much.

My mate has a knackered 50cc scooter he does not use since an accident. I might just take out a years insurance on it to get a NCB and park my plans to buy the S1000 for next year. At least then I will have 1 year rather than zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

FYI And most will want 2 years NCD when trying to move insurers after the first year so might need to do 2 years on the scooter.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Would you not be better off buying something simple and cheap like a 125 and actually ride it for a year or so so you get some riding in rather than just waiting for your NCB to build up for a couple of years? It would at least keep your skills sharp and current.

I know after a month of non riding I’m not as sharp as I could be, I couldn’t imagine being off a bike for 6-7 years and jumping straight on a S1000R.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭robbie_63

What age are you? I would go bigger than even a 125,my first policy with 0 ncb was €550 and that was on a cbr650f which had plenty of poke for me

You should be able to insure something decent even with 0 ncb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

No interest in getting a 125. I am in my 40's and have about 20 years riding experience. Last bike before I took the hiatus was a 1200.

But you are right about the riding skills needing a refresh - I might do an hour or two with an instructor once I get the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Consider a slightly older variation of the bike... For me the difference between insuring a brand new bike and a two year old model was massive

Advertisement