Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi Arabia breaks world beheading record, UN human rights chief not happy

Options

Comments

This!. The executions are part of the 1000+ year old Sunni/Shia blood feud. Still fighting over the caliphate after its long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Did they have independent verification?

I think Guinness usually require quite a bit of paperwork to be filled out and might even send someone out to check

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Just like people, countries are only interested in their own self-interests. The narrative of wrong vs right doesn't matter when commodities such as oil or money are in play. I would argue that wrong vs right is subjective in most instances - but either way, they are just labels we give to a particular situation.

People in the west have also been conditioned to the suffering in middle-east and Africa. I can't think of a time when there wasn't some type of conflict or famine happening which required a couple of euros a month to help alleviate.

Is beheading inherently wrong? The Saudi government doesn't seem to think so, but I would suspect most people in Ireland do. And we're back to right vs wrong being subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

This was the same type of double standard shown during the Israeli invasion of 08/09 known as Operation Cast Lead. The lives of 13 Israelis were worth more than the lives of 1500 Palestinians. Back then the charge made by the pro-Israeli side was that people, like myself, pointing out those double standards was we were antisemitic, despite the fact I got most of my information on the Palestinian conflict from Jewish people like Noam Chomsky, Sir Gerald Kauffman, Norman Finkelstein etc... Now the charge made for pointing out the West's double standards towards Russia is that people like me are some sort of agent for Putin, despite the fact I despise Putin, his regime & his domestic politics and I would like nothing better than to see him overthrown in a coup or revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭threeball

There's plenty of reasons that this war isn't getting as much coverage but its not down to MSM not caring enough to report.

Unfortunately the average person on the street has become numb to violence in the middle east. We've grown up on a daily diet of wars. If the Americans or Russians aren't there killing them then they are killing themselves is the prevailing attitude. And its hard to argue with it. From the Iran Iraq war, to the invasion of Kuwait, the constant back and forth between Israel and Palestine, the arab spring, Isis, Syria etc. etc. Theres only so long people can pay attention to these things before fatigue sets in. I can guarantee that if this conflict in Yemen happened before 9/11 there would have been huge attention on it but now its just thrown into the blender with all the death we've seen there for going on 40yrs.

Secondly, western governments, particularly the US and UK are particularly fond of Saudi money and Saudi Oil so they can pretty much do anything they want. If you again look at 9/11, the majority of hijackers were Saudi and the organizer and money man was Saudi but Saudi got a pass. The US and UK had too much to lose by taking them on. Too many arms deals, too much debt owed to them and too dependent on their oil. Western media follow their governments and generally report on what they're doing on a day to day basis. If their government is spending time on Ukraine or the war on Iraq thats what gets covered. When they avoid a conflict like yemen because they're severely compromised then it tends not to get any traction as the average Joe thinks his lot aren't involved so you're back to point 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'm not a fan of this, but the reality is that Saudi - by dint of their outrageous energy reserves and easily refinable oil you can practically get out of the ground with a straw - is a country that the West needs to keep onside.

It's a devil's bargain the US and the UK have made with the Kingdom - but, let's be realistic about this, do we want a world where the Chinese have that pact with Riyadh instead? Where they guarantee their security and dominate the region? Have a think about what that would mean for the world.

Make no mistake, the war in Yemen is largely conducted with US and UK supplied arms - but Russia and China are eager arms suppliers to KSA and would step into the breach at a second's notice.

The war in Yemen is a disaster, and when we're divvying up the blame, the Saudis will be shouldering a lot of it. But, does anyone want to come out and hang a lot of the blame on Iran for sponsoring the Houthis in their attempts to overthrow the government to turn it into an Iranian proxy state in the first instance? Because that's a fact. It's a bad dangerous neighborhood with very very high stakes for global security.

There are no easy answers in that region, we're not dealing with Nordic social democracies here led by cuddly sociologists in wire-frame glasses, and they're unlikely to ever be as such. Attempts to transform Saudi into Berkley on the Arabian Sea with concomitant adherence to liberal values would be met with A. Derision from Saudi leaders and B. a cessation of the compact between the West and Saudi - and an even grander deal with the devil between Beijing and Saudi. Let's see the Chinese handle the complexities of the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

[i]If you again look at 9/11, the majority of hijackers were Saudi and the organizer and money man was Saudi but Saudi got a pass.[\i]

wouldn't that be the same as blaming ALL Irish people for an IRA bombing in London?

Yet another round of peace talks trying to bring this war to an end.

”We urge all #Yemeni parties to cease fire and start peace talks. The GCC continues to provide support to #Yemen. Invitations to the talks will be sent to everyone and they will be held with whoever attends: GCC Secretary General “

Couldn't imagine any thinking person taking anything this guy says seriously. He couldn't even be bothered to educate himself as to what a member of government in Ireland is called, and he doesn't seem to know that Clare Daly is a member of the European parliament. I hope this is not where you get your information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

China has 20% of the worlds population so it follows that it will be biggest or highest in most areas..you really need to go on a per capita basis to determine who is really worst.

Also beheading is certainly not quicker than firing squad, firing squad is mostly instant but everybody lives for a while after being beheaded

• Advertisement

@archer22, How does one continue to live with their heads removed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

They live for a short time, I remember reading a book on executions years ago where the author described the eyes on the severed heads as still moving and blinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sure it's their culture.

Try and do without SA oil and see how that goes. That benighted sandpit have the West by the short and curlies and they know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Probably one of the most deluded posts I've ever had the misfortune to read on Boards. "None of the editorial lines" of RTE are guided by the government, really? Regarding The Ukrainian invasion, I am appalled by it. "Civilians being killed by the thousands and exiles being created by the millions", yes and this has been going on for years at the hands of the Americans, the Saudis and the Israelis and no amount of nonsense from the likes of you will convince me that the invasion of Iraq, Afghanistan or the thousands dead in Yemen was given the same level of coverage as the current invasion. And you can call it a subjective bellyache on my part all you want but that doesn't make it untrue. Do yourself a favour and stay off the mainstream media for a few days.

Jimmy Dore is a comedian, and yes no one in their right mind would take him seriously. That said a lot of what he says is true and you won't hear it on RTE or BBC.

which part of that was true, and which parts would I not hear anywhere else?

If you don't get why the Ukraine war is far more consequential for the global order and how the next few decades play out and thus enjoys far more airtime on European and North American networks than any other conflicts you care to mention including the Yemeni civil war and Saudi intervention, I can't help you.

Your opinions and contributions on boards on Yemen were doubtless very thin on the ground indeed before two weeks ago. I don't even have to go looking at your post history, I know so.

My posts in general are fairly thin on Boards, who has the time. And really what sort of loser goes and checks other peoples post histories?

What a silly question, you're picking one video where he didn't even say much, go and watch a few of his videos, satire aside come back and tell me instances where he is spreading misinformation.

I didn't check your posts. My point is I don't even need to go there. It's as certain as the tides that you've never posted about Yemen or give a rats ar*se about the place or its people. It only occurs to you when there's a potentially epoch shaping land war on the European continent and you have your political defects to push on people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

If the "West's" relations with the Saudis demonstrates anything, it is that the "West" is very willing to suspend its high minded morality and principles as and when it chooses.

A better question is why do you go to no-name youtube satirists as a source of news?

A quick Google of this chump instantly reveals (as per Bellingcat, an organization worth paying attention to if you want vetted information) he was paid by a foundation linked to pro-Assad lobby groups in the US, and has pushed conspiracy theories linked to the Syrian war.

So, if your bugbear is state propaganda as you so passionately post, why on God's green earth are you peddling a Youtuber who has been found to be in the pay of the pro-Assad lobby and expect other people to be as doe-eyed and credulous as yourself in the consumption of it?

And what should "the West's" relationship with the Saudis consist of? I'm being serious and all ears here. What would you change about it and give a bit of thought to the implications of what you would change.

Western powers relationship with Saudi is no secret, draws plenty of press and makes many uncomfortable for many reasons. But there are damn good reasons it looks the way it looks, and there are severe implications for everyday life (including yours) if we burned the house down and cut off relations. I don't know, is that what you want from the EU or the US?

The cynic in me believes you haven't given it much thought at all, and in crying "hypocrisy" you're trying to draw fire away from the mess you made in the other thread re: Putin. You didn't expect to find yourself in this position given the anchor you threw down.

It could really do with some extrapolation from yourself because you're content to say it needs to change in a snarky way and disappear into a puff of smoke without explaining yourself or offering up anything different that wouldn't radically reshape the order of the world for the worse.

I'm not going to watch the videos of a comedian, who doesn't even get basic facts of the videos he is commenting on correct!

I don't actually believe that anyone watches this for facts on current affairs, are you for real?

The man has (knowingly or unknowingly) taken money from shady Assad lobby groups and spun Syria conspiracy theories.

You've been told now, so while we're on the topic of ignorance, you can't afford to be anymore - so front-up to the fact you're peddling a Youtuber who has shopped state-sponsored propaganda.

You seem to be preoccupied with propaganda; take the L and chalk it down to experience. Better luck next thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

And there lies the crux of the matter, if we were living in a Christian society governed by the Bible, we would have this.

“Exodus 21:22-25 “Suppose two men are fighting and hit a pregnant woman, causing the baby to come out. If there is no further injury, the man who caused the accident must pay money—whatever amount the woman’s husband says and the court allows. But if there is further injury, then the punishment that must be paid is life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, and bruise for bruise.

We have seen SA remove the punishment of flogging and death for minors, but as the core of their society is based on the Koran, you will not see the removal of the death penalty for killing someone until they have separation of religion and state, and that will never happen.

Also who are we to try to impose our concept of rights and values on different cultures, how did that work out when Columbus tried it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I think we should defend what’s left of Europe before trying to sort Asia out. SA is clearly a ghastly place and looks to have taken a more Putinesque direction with MBS - in some ways slightly more secular but at the same time even more authoritarian. The murder of Kashoggi should show us what the new regime is capable of abroad. Assad is a complicated subject - by our standards utterly awful but I keep on meeting Christians from the region who support him. Yemen should be partitioned again, at least two ways. There’s no way the Houthis can live with the guys down south and east. MBS and Co already have Shia neighbours in Iraq and should have them in Bahrain. Time to get used to some more.

Advertisement