Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Vlad the Impaler was on to something when he felt that sanctions would not last.

It's a lifeline and he knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

There is no going back for the West and Russia so long as Putin is in charge over there. Cards are fully on the table, now. People following international politics would have been keenly aware for years that Russia had no great love for Western powers, and vice versa, but the hostility was always kept cool and cordial. With the frank words spoken by Putin and Biden this week, I can't see Putin sitting down with Western leaders ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They did inform the general public about their internal workings, you just missed it. This article is an interview with the former head of the Crime and Security Branch (who have responsibility for counter terrorism) talking about how they are tracking Irish citizens who fought for ISIS in Syria and are also tracking the far right group Pegida and their operations here

And when theyre not talking direct to the media they are leaking to them, John Mooney of the Sunday Times has a series of articles on whats going on inside the Russian embassy and his sources are in the Crime and Security Branch of the Gardai, he wouldnt have been able to write the articles without the info they fed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

No-one really knows what's going to happen. We still don't know how far, exactly, Putin is willing to go in order to achieve his aims. If Ukraine continues to resist and Russia continue to push, committing atrocities and using chemical weapons and things like that, we could hit a crisis point where there is just too much public pressure on NATO leaders that they can no longer avoid acting directly.

....Or maybe Ukraine and Russia will have a drafted peace deal on the table by the end of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

While you may very well be right, the Red Army in 45 had four years of bloody and horrendous warfare behind them. They had learned the hard way about the importance of a functioning supply chain, and every commander from Zhukov down was aware of that. This institutional knowledge seems to have been almost completely lost in the modern Russian army. They're overly dependent on having access to the Russian railway network, with the logistics units of their armies only designed to gap the relatively short distance to the nearest rail head. When Ukraine cut the railway connections to Russia & Belarus in the opening moves of the war, that basically torpedoed their entire logistics concept.

All of that is before we get to the issues of intrinsic corruption and poor maintenance of even modern vehicles, such as the Pantsir anti-aircraft system. There were several reports of the tires of these vehicles failing due to insufficient movement and excessive exposure to sunlight on one side, meaning that they had just been parked in the vehicle park of some army base and left there. The out-of-date rations have been discussed earlier in this thread if I recall correctly, so I won't go into that. There are numerous more examples like this.

The current logistics failure of the Russian Army isn't simply an operational issue with the units in the field in Ukraine. This is a major systemic issue, that will likely take years to fix, likely even longer given the current implosion of the Russian economy.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ultimately all that matters in the end is how loyal his submarine commanders are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Apparently, the "scum" and "traitors" are any Russian person who doesn't support the regime or who opposes the war (his reasoning being that such people are pro-West and that they would rather live in western decadence and see Russia humiliated).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A peace deal next week will be an incredible admission of defeat by Russia and Putin.

Hope it happens but in a country where society has been defined by the most jaw dropping savagery from the top down for centuries and a national Psyche built on sacrifice, resilience and sheer pig headed defiance against all odds I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Chances have lessened. China seems embarrassed by the Kremlin dwarf, Russia's army bogged down in Ukraine couldn't take on the girl's scouts just now.

Now it depends how desperate he gets, which is why we need to always give him a chance to back out with the least amount of embarrassment for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭wandererz

My God!! The amount of crap coming out of this bald fecks mouth at the UN is astounding.

• Advertisement

More likely how good they are at shaking that 688 or Virginia class boat hiding in their prop wake. It's safe to assume that every Russian missile boat that leaves its base will have a tail the moment it leaves Russian territorial waters. That's how the US Navy operated during the Cold War, that's what the Soviet Navy tried, with significantly less success, off the US SSBN bases, and that's in all likelihood still going on. Granted, from what I've read, Russian doctrine is to send each missile boat out with a "bodyguard" likely in the shape of one of their Akula subs, but as lethal as these are, they're still a generation behind the Virginia or Seawolf class, and likely even slightly inferior to to the last 688is that came of the slipways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It all depends on china to be honest. It's annoying to be beholden to these despots just because you believe in social liberty and the rights of individuals. The standards that we hold western powers to sometimes hamstrings them.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

I think the fact the Chinese are not looking likely to support the Russians helps enormously to avoid it.

The last thing we needed was the Chinese becoming a great bunch of Vlads (been waiting days to make that joke 🤐)

Russia has been through many wars and hardships going back a millennia. I'm not sure the Nazi comparisons help much. There is no comparison to what the Nazis did. Not yet anyway.

Well then the general public don't need to worry about the intelligence in AGS then. It's covered. Of course, gardai have had vast experience in counter terrorism and counter intelligence since they were formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Something-something law ... no, no, don't tell me .... it's on the tip of my tongue ....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I see a lot of overlaps with 1930s Germany. This is not the realpolitik of a Bismarck.

In terms of the playbook of naked aggression to seize resource rich territories.

The parallel universe of lies that they inhabit.

Once you go down that road, savagery follows... how far will it go.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

My point is, if everyone is a Nazi then no one is. This war is unjust and devastatingly brutal, but so far Putin hasn't talked about wiping out Ukrainians and hasn't resorted to mass industrialised killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The Chinese know another Hitler when they see him

Being a German myself, I usually balk at the ease with which nazi or Hitler comparisons are thrown about with wild abandon, particularly in the English-speaking world. Too often, these comparisons are born more out of a desire for a quick putdown of whatever "opposition" the person in question is dealing with, with little regard on how such a comparison might trivialise the immense magnitude of Nazi atrocities or of the pure evil of Hitler and his enablers.

When it comes to Putin and the current war in Ukraine however, I'm afraid that these comparisons are more than appropriate. The actions undertaken by Putin and the rhetoric used to justify these actions are straight out of the nazi playbook. From the "other" that is supposedly threatening the country both from abroad and within and that needs to be purged, to the quotes about ensuring that Russians need a safe place to live (Lebensraum, anyone?), this is unfortunately Hitler 101.

The big difference is that Russia lacks the industrial & intellectual power that Germany had in the 1920s and 1930s. Putin thankfully has no Russian version of Josef Goebbels by his side to spin an effective propaganda campaign, and he has also not been nearly as successful at consolidating Russian industry as that mustache-wearing maniac in the 1930s. That does nothing to dilute the very clear rhetoric coming out of the Kremlin however.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭ollkiller

He doesn't talk about wiping out Ukrainians. Instead he just kills them. Christ lad. C'mon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

Only because he hasn't the capacity to do it. The Nazis were devastating in their speed and efficiency. The Russians aren't capable of that but there's no doubt that Putin would have no qualms employing Hitlers tactics given the opportunity.

Hes looking to purge his own state of "traitors" and happy to bomb children with impunity. I doubt 4 weeks into WW2 many would have foreseen the depths the nazis would plumb. For less than a month in Putin is excelling himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well thats not what you said-

You do understand what intelligence is about yes? Why would they inform the general public as to their internal workings?

They literally gave an interview to the media on what they are working on. And the general public should be worried if the intelligence service of the Gardai are unable to keep their mouths shut to journalists, its unprofessional and compromises their own operations. You never see any leaks out of G2 the Military Intelligence unit of the Irish Defence Forces yet their colleagues in the Garda Crime and Security branch are forever at it, including in that article I posted where they are literally giving Islamic militants who live in Ireland a heads up that they are being monitored. An intelligence agency blabbing to the media about their operations is pretty dumb stuff, loose lips sink ships and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In that respect no. In many other respects yes... this is a repeat of the playbook of totalitarian fascism-marxism (which I see as two sides of the same coin) and its insidious propaganda and naked aggression first seen in the 1930s. We are in Guernica territory here if not yet at Auschwitz.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Gentlemen, may the wind be at your backs

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

God I hate the "new" Boards interface; can't just easily quote a part of someone's post.

Russia's military has been a joke. Far weaker than we thought.

I see this sentiment expressed a lot here and elsewhere and I think it's important to remember that Russia still has significant amounts of firepower at its disposal which it has yet to use against Ukraine.

Have they been weaker than expected? Sure. However; they have managed to do a lot of damage to swathes of Ukraine and kill likely to be approaching the tens of thousands of Ukrainians.

The other problem is that they have been adapting; albeit slowly. They are no longer throwing aircraft directly at Ukrainian positions, they appear to be making better use of their drones, they are whittling down Ukraine's air defenses and aircraft, and they appear to have significantly reduced the rate at which they're losing personnel.

I think some people and journalists seem to have this idea that Ukraine are currently "winning" the war on the ground; and I don't think that is at all accurate.

I agree some of the language and Russian propaganda has echoes of the 30s.

Was the Iran-Iraq war 'Nazism'? a million died. One could say Rwanda was Nazi-like? I mean that was ethnic genocide. Where do the comparisons end? Nazism was a particular evil and ideology and systematically tried to wipe out a race of people.

Russian troops control a city and quite a few towns. We've yet to witness lining people up against walls in their hundreds and gunning them down, That's not to minimise their murderous actions in Ukraine - but it's not Nazism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

All week we've been hearing about Russia's advance stalling, if this continues, how long until it can be called out that Russia is actually losing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement