Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would boards.ie consider another platform migration?

Options
  • 17-03-2022 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭

Initially with vBulletin as I understand?

Went with Vanilla (due to financial constraints?).

XenForo seems to me to be BY FAR the most advanced and innovative of the commonly used forum platforms.

I ask only cause obviously the difficulty in negotiating the site since migration, and the web traffic on certain subs has gone from bad to non-existent.

XenForo is so damn easy to negotiate and it's feature are so user friendly.

Ees posible.... ?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Zero chance (IMO). At least not without a substantial investment. As you note, the migration to Vanilla was largely motivated by a desire to reduce costs. A (successful) migration requires a substantial increase in costs

The problems with the migration do not (mostly) stem from the choice of platform. It was absolutely possible to have a successful migration to Vanilla. It was absolutely possible to have a successful migration to Xenforo. But if Xenforo had been chosen initially, and the same time, processes, and resources had been assigned to that migration, the result would have been the same. The exact specifics might have differed, but the ultimate outcome would have been the same - many technical issues, an unhappy userbase, and substantial loss of traffic.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

How do you figure?

Logistics of this Vanilla platform lives up to its name.

Unless you had familiarity with the site from previous it's impossible to find anything.

Not to mention posting features, user titles etc.

Xenforo is so far ahead of both vBulletin and Vanilla on all those counts.

Users love a platform which is friendly to interact with, easy to use, personable; vanilla is unfortunately none of those things.

I attribute reduced user stats primarily to that flaw.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

How long do you think a migration of a forum the size of Boards takes? Involving how many people with what skill sets? And more importantly, what salary would they require?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

People's Republic of Cork did just that-with one admin and no fuss.

And it went like clockwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,547 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

If they don't do something else, other than adding more advertising, Boards.vanilla will not end well. Best forum on the net being reduced to a Photobucket-like advert-overwhelmed rubbish site --- self destruction sequence complete. :/

@Sugar_Rush, I seriously doubt Vanilla was an inexpensive option - Boards probably paid heavily in funds (not to mention membership) to "rid themselves of the financial burden." :/ ...I mean within the first month, did not VanillAmeriCanada parlay their new, huge Boards account into a business acquisition of their own?... sadly, at the expense of the Boards.ie community... :(

For real.

What would be the cost of a subsequent transition to Xenforo?

Maybe we could do a "go fund me"?

Advertisement