Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy a gaff

• 14-03-2022 1:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

Hi all I couldnt find a forum about buying a house in the directory so the mods can move this if they want to sorry about that.

So I checked the BOI mortgage calculator and they would give me a 182k mortgage. I also specifically want a gaf that has room for a piano as I play the piano, and at least 2 bed rooms so I can use 1 of them bedrooms as a home office as I mostly still work from home and also double as a guest room.

So I checked on Daft.ie and I can find homes that meet these criteria mostly in Balbriggan, Finglas, Ballymun, Ballyfermit, Tyrrelstown, Clondalkin. Pretty bad areas arent they? Now I know that Ballymun near the main Ballymun Road is actually okay ish. Deeper inside Ballymun would basically be like living in Mordor from Lord of the Rings though. But what about Finglas which areas should be avoided as some areas are really a kip there as well.

So now I am from close to the sea so I would like to live close to the sea so then Balbriggan is a bit nicer for me. Is balbriggan really a kip as they say? Or is Balbriggan alright? I have heard some mixed stories about Ballymun. Any gaf I could afford wouldn't exactly be close to the sea even if in Balbriggan mind you closer to the M1.

How about Cherry Orchard in Ballyfermit? Is that okay? I do not know that area of Dublin at all.

I also saw some stuff in Swords and Santry I know those areas those are absolutely fine so if I can get something there I'd do but the few things I saw would be near the top of my budget.

And is Tyrrelsstown really THAT bad or no? Clondalkin I know is bad I would avoid that.

Also some questions about practicalities surrounding a home:

1. In mortgage applications they always ask how much the home youre after buying is. But how can I know that I dont even know exactly what my budget will be
    2. Can you get more mortgage if you have a sales job and get a variable rate on top of your fixed salary or does it not count towards your maximum mortgage at all?
    3. I saw that paying rent in cash is seen as bad by the bank. My landlord only accepts the rent in cash. Now I am not that dense and I do always have him sign something in my little book whenever I pay the rent so I do have some proof but it's all hand written and it's not the most organized document. Is that going to be a problem when buying a house? As on my bank account theyll see me taking out a large sum in cash monthly. Nowdays I tend to pay most stuff in cash because I have a flatmate who pays his portion of the rent back in cash to me (he is non EU so its a bit tricky for him to transfer by bank or whatever well I dont mind). So is that going to be any issue at all?

Cheers and again sorry for not having found the correct forum to post this in in the enormous forest of different sub fora

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭machaseh

Sorry I mixed up Balbriggan and Ballymun in this bit. They all start with Bal hah. Probably from Irish Baile

' So now I am from close to the sea so I would like to live close to the sea so then Balbriggan is a bit nicer for me. Is balbriggan really a kip as they say? Or is Balbriggan alright? I have heard some mixed stories about Ballymun Balbriggan. Any gaf I could afford wouldn't exactly be close to the sea even if in Balbriggan mind you closer to the M1.

'

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Me_Grapes

Clondalkin is absolutely fine, as long as you aviod Rowlagh/Neilstown area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭StreetLight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Your local gaff shop of course.

I live in Phibsboro and the houses here are unaffordable. Over 300 grand like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm living in Balbriggan for the last 11 years and it's absolutely fine. Close enough that town is just 35 minutes away when traffic is quiet. You have Drogheda in the other direction which is great for shopping, so you don't always have to head to Dublin. There's a railway link, Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann, the M1 and the old Dublin road, the R132. There's a huge Tesco, a small Dunnes, a decent sized SuperValue, a LIDL and a number of ethnic shops. There's a very nice hotel and plenty more. The countryside in North County Dublin is lovely and you are only a few minutes away from the countryside of both Meath and Louth. People are friendlier than they would be in the city and overall there's a good spirit in the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

Yeah Balbriggan isn't as bad as some reports might suggest. Obviously, like any town, there are nice parts and some not so nice parts but the surrounding area is lovely. There were a lot of houses built in Balbriggan during the Celtic Tiger era that were riddled with pyrite so make sure you check that if you're looking at a house or apartment there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Balbriggan is grand, it expanded a lot during boom years meaning it has quite a young population and naturally a lot of teenagers means you will always get some trouble makers but for the most part it is grand.

Close to sea, Ardgillan park nearby is a great facility, lot of money being pumped into the town now for parklands and sports areas. Close to M1, train service isn't bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In mortgage applications they always ask how much the home youre after buying is. But how can I know that I dont even know exactly what my budget will be

Just leave it blank. In fact, go with a broker. You fill out one form with them, and then they go to a number of banks to get approval. You don't have to pay them, the bank pays them commission.

The process basically is that you first get mortgage approval that isn't really binding. Basically, "Based on what you've told us, you can likely borrow up to X". Once you have gone sale agreed on a property, you then get a formal mortgage offer from the bank. It has to be done this way, because the mortgage is tied to the property and the bank needs to make sure that the property you plan on buying, is actually worth the money they're going to give you.

The broker will tell you what your budget probably is, you start looking at gaffs while they go off and get a more certain budget by applying to the banks. There's always a chance that when you go sale agreed, the bank will reduce the amount its willing to give you and you have to start again. But going with a broker will make this unlikely.

Can you get more mortgage if you have a sales job and get a variable rate on top of your fixed salary or does it not count towards your maximum mortgage at all?

Sort of. The bank will likely want to see a commission pattern and then will apply some calculations to it. For example, they might take your average commission earned over the last six months, and then add 66% of that to your fixed salary. So if your salary is €3k a month, and you've had €1,500 a month average commission over the last 6/12 months, then your monthly salary for mortgage purposes is €4k. This is just an example; banks probably assume commission is far more volatile than this. Some banks may not factor in commission income at all. They don't have to.

I saw that paying rent in cash is seen as bad by the bank. My landlord only accepts the rent in cash. Now I am not that dense and I do always have him sign something in my little book whenever I pay the rent so I do have some proof but it's all hand written and it's not the most organized document. Is that going to be a problem when buying a house? As on my bank account theyll see me taking out a large sum in cash monthly. Nowdays I tend to pay most stuff in cash because I have a flatmate who pays his portion of the rent back in cash to me (he is non EU so its a bit tricky for him to transfer by bank or whatever well I dont mind). So is that going to be any issue at all?

Yes and no. The bank will review your bank statements, and they don't like to see large cash withdrawals in general. This is because it tells the bank that you use large sums of your money for purposes that may be very unpredictable. Basically, if they see large cash withdrawals, the concern is that you're a gambler. And lending to gamblers is risky business. If the amount of cash you withdraw is the same or similar every month and you can present the rent book, then you should be OK.

You should definitely ask your landlord to start accepting the rent by bank transfer now though.

Is there any particular reason you want to stay in Dublin? You'd probably get a nice little 2-bed somewhere non-sh1tty for that money.

E.g. https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/duplex-4-the-courtyard-marsh-road-drogheda-co-louth/3503924

Cosy little spot, in the town, right beside the train station, short drive to the coast.

• Advertisement

That is in county mayo. I am from the Netherlands, so I have no family in Ireland. I also do not drive. Why on earth would I move to the middle of nowhere in county Mayo lol.

First I wanted to move back to the Netherlands but it's too close to Putin and his nukes. So thats why I am looking to buy in Dublin or near it.

Thanks a mil I will indeed call with a mortgage broker soon.

I want to be as close to dublin city centre as possible. I am a foreigner and I have nothing to do in rural parts of Irleand.

If it werent for the Russian invasion Id be looking at moving back to the Netherlands its just that the Netherlands is too close to Putin and his nukes for my liking hence I stay in dublin for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It sucks but Pewtin's nukes have no problem flying the extra few 100km. Nowhere is safe if it really kicks off even if you survive the actual nukes themselves the resulting nuclear winter will kill you if you haven't 10 years worth of food stocked up. The reason I suggested that one is you can easily buy it and spend the remainder of the money on a nice car. Dublin prices are crazy, I hope you find sometheing where ever you want to live & that no nuclear war breaks out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Go to leitrim...stay out of dublin

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

I don't drive. I would literally be trapped inside of my home if I'd live in these places.

The reason I don't drive is because of my genetic visual condition. It's very serious and it slowly makes me blind.

I wouldn't be allowd to. And then them feckers dont eve ngive me fekkin blind pension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

OP, you're asking about Balbriggan and Ballymun. You've probably seen them on the news over the past couple of weeks but just never realised it.

The news agencies are using photos of those places for their Kyiv was stories due to the logistical difficulty of getting photographers to Ukraine. The Kremlin are going mad over it and are saying that "fake news" has finally crossed a line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You know what , I thought parts of the Ukraine looked familiar.

Appropriate username. Are ya an estate agent covering those area by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think even putin would not use nukes against any eu country ,russia is already seriously suffering from economic sanctions ,companys pulling out of russia .im more worried about inflation and the price of oil, petrol and gas rising than get hit by a nuke.you should contact a broker.Banks usually lend about 2.5 times salary plus you,ll need to have at least 10 per cent plus of the value of the house saved up.my female friend age 45 lives alone in a private 3 bed house in part of finglas,7 minutes from finglas village .She has never experienced any anti social behavior of any kind .people with no detailed local knowledge brand certain working class areas as bad or dangerous ,its more complex than that.The russian economy depends on international trade with the eu ,selling oil and gas to europe ,the chances of russia attacking holland or france or italy is zero.many people are stuck paying rent as they cant save up 20 per cent of say 330k to buy a house in dublin.legal fees will cost around 1500 euro approx plus 1 per cent stamp duty ,just to buy the house .

I calculated that I'd have to live like a hermit for the next 3 years to make a chance at buying.

By then the prices would have gone up a lot. But I can try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That's silly ,if nukes are launched, the quicker you die the better, The Netherlands is very densely populated, that's exactly where I'd want to be rather than being forced to cannibalism in the aftermath

You can buy a 4 bed house outside dublin for 100k, in a town 40 minutes away, or else look at buying a 2bed apartment, prices are rising, theres simply not enough houses in dublin to meet demand ,and you are competing with 2 people ,eg couples on 50k salarys who want to buy a house.And of course techies on high salarys who need 2 bedrooms, plus spare room home /office to work from home.

Did you choose your username to fit the occasion or is this a coincidence ?

Where can you buy a four bed house for 100 k ?, nevermind that close to Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You wouldn't even get a four bed house in the sticks for that.

You wouldn't get one in o Malley Park in Limerick right now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So I checked the BOI mortgage calculator and they would give me a 182k mortgage.

The nearest that'll get you a secondhand late 2018 camper van from Kildare, 182 KE. And you can park your gaff wherever.

And because it's a car loan the monthly repayments would be the same as a mortgage. Might be better off sticking windows on a hosed out 40" refrigerated container.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

HEY! Why you disrespecting where I live. Don't you worry I will have to stab you if you do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Balbriggan is too far out for me

He said Mayo. What have nukes got to do with cannibalism in Mayo?

Nukes or no nukes, cannibalism is already the second most popular hobby down there. Just ahead of riding your siblings but a fair bit behind imploding on All-Ireland Final Day.

It's not that difficult to get your head around it though if you concentrate

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Sophia Petrillo

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Sophia Petrillo

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Who plays piano and says 'gaff'?

Obviously nouveau riche riff-raff with notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mumo3

Rowlagh/Neilstown absolutely fine estates, old council estates, well settled, but you'd be lucky to find something within your budget in there. When houses do come up, they don't stay on the market too long, they are usually snapped up by people who are originally from the area. Walking distance to Liffey Valley shopping centre, 5 mins from the M50 and bus routes to town.

Edit: Best advice I received when looking for a house, was to drive into the estate if there are a lot of house up for sale in a close proximity, there's usually a reason they are all trying to get out!! Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

Not driving is ok in Leitrim as the county is about 10 feet wide and there is nowhere to drive to anyway.

Quick stab of the accelerator and you’ve missed it and you’re in the wescth

Does Leitrim have a Lidl supermarket or do I need to forage my food every day in the bogs and dig up my own potatoes in the garden there?

• Advertisement

Did you know that there are GASP foreigners in Ireland?

Did you know that some foreigners do not speak English as their first language?

I know this may come as a shock to you

You go daft.ie ,and myhome.ie put in salary x3 , banks can only lend you 3 or 3.5 times your salary, and you need to have a deposit saved of 10-20 per cent of the house value. The problem is for most gen z,young people can try and save up, house prices go up every year, its like being in a race with a car i go 50mph, i,ll never catch up with a car that gos at 80mph, and eventually i,ll run out of petrol .

i know house prices are rising every month, i remember there used to be old houses for sale, needs renovation, eg old house in very bad condition, maybe they have all been bought already.

i might worry about climate change, inflation ,rising oil prices, frankly the last thing i think about it is someone launching nuclear missiles in europe.

It's 3,5, but even that is not enough.

Deposit is 10 percent for first time buyer but even that is too much.

Yeah house prices go up every year but the first step is that I can save so that I have 10 percent of my maximum available mortgage at my wage. If that means I'll have to buy very far out of dublin then so be it. I can't stay in my shared apartment for much longer. I am almost 30 years old. I have been living in shared accomodation with flatmates since the age of 17 when I started studying. I can't continue like this I need me own gaf like

Old houses aren't a good solution because once you buy them you also need to live in them and the cost of renovations would be way too high. The house needs to be at the very least in livable condition. With the current energy prices also preferably it should be insulated to at least some extent. In my specific case, the house also needs to be reachable by public transportation and within reach of a supermarket, as I am unable to drive due to my medical condition. This is very hard if not impossible in much of rural Ireland sadly.

It's sounds like you may be only able to afford to buy an apartment if you want to live in dublin. Say 3.5 times your salary is 130k see what is avaidable for that price . Every large town has 2 supermarkets lidl Tesco etc mulilngar is about 30 mínutes from Dublin and has a railway station . It has 3 or 4 supermarkets lidl, aldi etc good range of cable TV and fast broadband providers .

My budget is around 180 thousand euros.

My minimum requirements are 2 bedrooms (only one of which needs to be large enough for a double bed) and a good internet connection, good insulation (or it needs to be so cheap that I can get it insulated), a place outside either a balcony or preferably a garden.

Should be as close to Dublin as possible by public transportation so can be a train station or a frequent Bus Eireann line. Preferably somewhere near the coast as I am from the coast so I like the sea. But I know that along the coast it's more expensive. Needs to have supermarket, pub and bus eireann stop /train station within walking distance (which goes to dublin).

Currently trying to save up the deposit. That should take another year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Have you actually made the assumption that the OP is foreign because they said 'gaff'? Foreigners aren't usually down with such lingo as 'gaff'. I didn't pick up on any indication of a lack of improper English from them.

I am the OP and I am from the Netherlands and yes I say gaf because I pick up the way people speak here

You obviously have never met foreigners and live in a fully Irish bubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Come on out to Balbriggan so, it sounds like it meets all your requirements. My own house for example was built in 2007 and I think is a BER3. When you heat it, it stays warm. I couldn't go and live in an old insulated house after being here.

As I said before, we have a large Tesco, a decent SuperValue, a LIDL & Dunnes. There's a SPAR near the train station and multiple ethnic shops. There's multiple butchers, plenty of takeaways, barbers, a post office, a nice library, a lovely Thai restaurant, a nice restaurant in the hotel. Buses & trains are every hour, there's two local taxi companies if you're stuck. Broadband is well served as both fibre and SIRO are available.

On the contrary. I suspect that commenter might have already known you were foreign from previous posts. How exactly is it that I was supposed to know that you were foreign from reading this post alone??

• Advertisement
Advertisement