Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I think all territories should be returned to Ukraine, and Russia falls off the map as a kick in the a$$ for starting this brutal war. Ukraine should start using the drones supplied by the West and start bombing Moscow and St Peterburg and start shelling and firing missiles into Russian cities just like what Russinan forces are doing in Ukraine. That would be some site for Putin. Yes it may ruin Ukraines position in this war but are the West really helping them in this crisis? I don't think so or I mean they should be stopping this war not supplying weapons for Ukraine to defend itself and continue fighting and more innocent people men women and children getting killed unnecessary. If the war was stopped earlier it may stop any further escalation emerging in the coming weeks. I watched reeling in the years tonight 1999 and seeing NATO intervening when Milosevic serb forces tried to drive ethic Albanians out of Kosovo and I just wondered why NATO can't do this in 2022? Why can't NATO just grow a pair and make conditions to Russia that enough is enough and failure to cease fire at a certain point from now involves us NATO coming in and ending the war. I can't see the Nuclear weapons as an excuse or threat of WW3 starting when I see how pathetic the Russian forces are set up in Ukraine. They are getting destroyed by the Ukrainian resistance who are nowhere in the level of NATO. Russian army would just be destroyed. I think the West still has some dealings in the background with Russia like holding onto oil supplies that are preventing them going to war with Russia. Too many Western economies depend on Russias oil. The world of politics is always corrupt doesn't matter what side you are on. NATO intervening when it suits them says it all.

Putin just needs to be shot dead or else tied onto the back of a lorry and dragged along the road to the Hague where he will have a painful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Me2U2

Have there been any sightings of the T14 Armata tank in Ukraine?

no apparently its not ready ..unusually russia makes all its own military equipment and they don't have enough nor is it ..field ready i think ..or at least this is what we are told??

Are you a fan of military vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Eh it took NATO some 8 years to get involved in the Balkans. That’s right, eight years. Before Kosovo, the sieges and/or massacres at Vukovar, Sarajevo, Srebrenica happened. By comparison, I think the Ukrainians are doing amazingly well out of NATO with all the extremely useful gear they are getting, right from the start of the invasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Tomorrow's London Times estimates that Russia has lost 7000 troops, has seen 200 tanks destroyed and lost 10% of all its equipment - seems plausible from all the reports we're hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Troop loss is insignificant, but if 10% of the entire Russian equipment is right then that is a big loss after only 3 weeks and not really made any progress - not like it's easy to replace that stuff but human bodies are easy to replace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

No, and it's not reasonable to expect there would be. They have a small handful of them, none ready for combat, basically their most modern tank in numbers is T90, which in itself is not much of a match against Javelins and other AT weapons.

People talk about how Russia has thousands of tanks and how a few hundred lost is no big deal, but it's actually a huge deal.

The vast majority of their paper inventory is rusted units lying in storage that are nowhere near ready for battle, nor even capable of it on the roughest terms.

Their main tank force right now is tanks from the 1970's with token upgrades. They might have 10,000 tanks on paper but actual battle ready tanks are a fraction of that.

As it is,the forces they committed to battle are massively lacking in upkeep. What remains on paper is pretty much close to worthless.

The force committed to Ukraine might represent a token of their paper strength but it represents about the cream of what's ready for war. And it's not faring well, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Me2U2

The number of tanks already lost is unbelievable. The tank crews must feel they are being sent in with inferior armour if there is a better tank . I saw a video of new T14 tanks on parade several years ago. But there are stories about it being cancelled too. People have been taking videos of tanks on the move towards Ukraine from the other side of the country. It would be a big boost for them to see new and better tanks arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

How on earth can Putin live with himself for causing this. No mind the deaths he's caused in Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He can, trust me. I doubt he'll lose a moment's sleep over it. He seems the classic sociopath type you associate with dictators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Day 1 they were blacklisted in my opinion.

Time doest even come into it. To invade a democratic society in 2022 is completely of that charts.

And long may they pay the price of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Most of the main battle tanks in the world are of the 70's/80's variety originally, although a lot of them have been upgraded. Russian T-72:s upgraded to B3 or B3M standard are fairly modern, but maybe not as good as they are on the paper - or maybe it's just the Russian tactics. But they're not likely to run out of tanks any time soon.

But yeah, they're definitely having huge maintenance issues. And they seem to be abandoning a lot of their vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Crimea is not going back to Ukraine, as much as I want it, it's simply not going to happen. Escalating thing's even further by attacking russian positions within Russia is a bad play, leave Russia with the option of being more brutal then they are.

Ukraine is playing a smart game at the moment with the stalling tactic, Russia also not going full on attack (if they actually can)

Russian forces can be as sh!te as they are, the nuke option as the counter option for Russia falling to a NATO offensive is the counter to that, it would be the only option for Putin to stop the defeat that would be coming. No one wants that option to be engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I still don't think it has been confirmed what type of Switchblades they're getting: one is a cheaper anti-personnel variant which as far as I can see is basically an assassin drone for taking out a single person and maybe injuring one or two who are within a few feet. The anti-armor one which would be infinitely more effective against artillery I'm not sure is available in any great number. As for the intelligence side the Pentagon confirmed they were indeed supplying it to Ukraine.

We still don't know which way China is leaning at this point and that has the potential to be key: if they start supplying the Russians that could easily drag out the war much longer than might otherwise be the case. If they continue to sit on the fence it's likely to embolden Russia. If they come out against Russia that could prompt a quicker diplomatic resolution; but I think that's the least likely of the outcomes.

I absolutely agree that conquest is not on the cards for Russia here pretty much no matter what way the war goes: they have some hope of holding a few key cities and areas but beyond that I don't see it.

I also agree that taking Kyiv is not much of an option given the way their forces are currently arranged. My big worry is what they might get up to in the meantime; especially if they can eke out a pocket of air superiority around Kyiv and start to actively hurt resupply into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes,

because what is that nutter Putins get out strategy ? He withdraws ?

he resembles not a world leader now, he all of a sudden looks like a very sick, demented, agitated, aged, deranged, irrational, not well dictator, a head case of an individual … lost a shít load of weight, limping he looks ill, he acts ill… cancer, dementia ? Who knows…but there is an underlying creepy malevolence in his demeanour… his walking… limp, widened gate, etc… could be cerebrovascular dementia ? Who knows

there is no ‘out’… a peace deal, to the aggressor is generally comprise too far…this is not just a war but international state terrorism, a la Hitler… there is no possibility of common ground ….he’s gone too far to go picking up telephones, he has zero bargaining power or trust..

my worry is that he’d attack European targets….with Nuclear weapons.

there are literally hundreds and hundreds more combat aircraft at the disposal of the EU / UK and the US all based in Europe… that’s not a fight he’d win.

the key is, the worrying aspect rather… the escalation hes implemented by invading the Ukraine… I don’t just see any, deescalation strategy that can work for Russia and or the West……does he go out with a bang ? What do the west do ? Before he gets the inclination to tangle with more western targets.

scary times..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I'm sure this list has been posted before but its all the documented losses sustained by both sides which are supported by photo/video evidence. It's not perfect but I imagine it's a decent indication of how much Russia has potentially lost: https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

In terms of documented losses (that includes captured and/or destroyed) the Russians are sitting at just over 1500 vehicles. I would guess that's easily more vehicles than the entire Irish armed forces.

He doesn't have to. He is well blanketed and cosseted from it. I would say a lot of Russian generals will live with it though. No one will tell putin the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭eire4

The 7,000 number was listed as been conservative too so likely the figure is somewhat higher and remember that is all in under a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The Americans are estimating 7000 russian fatalities, and reckon that's a very conservative estimate, possibly closer to ten thousand, the more important figure would be the wounded , at 2 to 3 times the fatalities usually- you're looking at huge numbers out of the fight.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

T14 is currently in Syria. First came is with the Chechyn MP's. There is video knocking around of a flatbed train of them in Belarus, so they may be in theatre, no confirmed sightings.

Russia is extremely adept at cruise missle production and technology. It's the one thing they are good at. Earlier this morning, a Kilo class sub, in the Black sea, fired 6 cruise missles at the aircraft repair centre at Lviv Airport. The West needs a way to counter Russias cruise missiles. They are extremely versatile, accurate and can be both air and sea launched, never mind ground. But they are slow, especially the long range ones.

I've also noticed that the long distant cruise missile attacks always occur when the E-8 Rivet Joint isn't around. Surely someone has noticed this?

Here is a vid of the sub transiting to the Black sea a month ago. Plus info on strike

https://youtu.be/CdRjMe2rwAY

This is extraordinary footage. Watch till end. How anyone managed to get out of that tank alive is a miracle.

Ukrainian tank hunting teams are pretty impressive.

https://youtu.be/gXoyWH5FMgU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

If true, likely bad news for Ukraine forces in the east. It suggests Russian forces gathered in the Kharkiv area have circumvented it and moved down the map significantly east to hit the Ukrainian army from behind. They will hit Ukraine army up the butt at Sievierodonetsk.

Another probability the target is Dnipro, the fourth largest city in the country. Swing from Izium and do a shift to Dnipro, and on opposite side Russian forces pushing up from Kherson will shift to the Dnipro also, if successful, will cut the entire south front off. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

If Putin says ,in so many words, that he is not about wiping out the Ukr and he is definitely not into mass industrialised killing then he is NOT DOING EITHER BECAUSE hE SAID SO. It’s impossible anyway because 15% + of the population will have left for overseas..

Although , is he , unknown to himself , taking the tourist route towards the above two ‘objectives’ it reminds me of how you go about eating an elephant ? A little bit at a time . Bomb a building here, an airport there , a hospital over here, etc, etc, etc, etc.

with regards to the Nazi references. One of the most hated , shocking and cruel Nazi practice were the gas chambers. Putin is doing it on the CHEAP. He is not using gas and he is not transporting anyone to any destination and does not have to build anything. The UKr ‘have supplied’ all of this where relevant. Eg the bombed theatre where civilians were sheltering underground. The bomb must have buried some of them with the fallen rubble and died from physical injuries and if not killed / injured that way well then the dust will suffocate them. AND the survivors move on to the next underground shelter and REPEAT until the survivors run out of shelters to go to. ITS BEYOND BELIEF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

Ukraine forces are cut off and encircled in many places. West false hope is presenting a false impression of the war. Ukraine hasn't reclaimed Kherson they lost it.

All wrong to claim Russia picked the option of total war here. They could flatten every city wanted there not doing it. That’s why the progress is slow there attempting to not do a Dresden on it. It’s better for Russia if citizens flee the combat zone so they can push in quicker and capture. Of course, the Russian military hasn't got full control over every battle (real-time) artillery and grads can hit targets with civilians. there They respond to incoming fire, some of the weapons are not always 100 percent accurate.

Kyiv intact after three weeks. Putin has aircraft bombers and cruise missiles to level it. He hasn't the army convoy has come to a stop. This is obviously on orders to not go into the city, 

This is a war against a Nation that has a strong army. Nato provides them with weapons and real-time intelligence. Russia could be losing men in high numbers, that's because the army facing well-armed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Yea. Good idea. Wait until the total place is flattened and millions of Ukr killed. Then make sure the war is over before deciding that there was a denazification element to the RUssian operation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement