Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think there needs to be a ban on this forum of suggesting this is to do with denazifcation. Whatever that even means.

Naive or plain stupid... it's been answered so many times, so that will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Could NATO change its rules re full membership. A. Suggestion — let Finland become a ‘novice/guest/temporary’ member from day it lodges an application form. I assume that traditional full membership includes a full member contributing to NATO budget, have a certain size of army /military equipment and such. All these requirements could be dropped in the ‘short term’ while full membership is being considered

THE key element of the novice membership allows NATO to protect the novice member from date of application and NATO can use its air bases, etc.

JUST imagine if Georgia, Moldova, Finland and Sweden , Bosnia, became novice members right now - what could Putin do?

something revolutionary adjusting has to be done to stop this tyrant now and future possibilities of it ever recurring again. How can it happen that Ukr can receive ONLY a certain type of help but not more deadly types of help?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Says the person who thinks someone can 'lose' a nuclear war.

You've a hard on for nuclear war. The rest of us not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Wossack

There’s no ‘winners’ in a nuclear war..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Less hassle/ interference from the government and ITS EYES can see worldwide given current technology. The size of the current buildings and those planned speaks for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

anyone know how to get RT or even better Russia TV1 (Россия 1) now it's been removed from all TV and streaming services?

I like to keep an eye on what's being said from that side, and I haven't enough tinfoil to filter through Bitchute videos

• Advertisement

Not really but what I'm trying to say is that he would be destroyed in that too if it came to that as would all civilisation

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭html6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSNo2FPQDQw

Your comment and having read and watched the above reports give me massive concerns on where things are going with Putin.

To have been within a whisker of being lynched by a mob of East Germans who have been oppressed for years. This would rattle anyone to their core and leave deep permanent scars.

Now he has molded, cultivated and brainwashed his inner circle to blankly follow all his moves.

What is the most worrying thing for me is the incremental ramping up of atrocities. First they go in, shooting, shelling civilian areas, bombing civilian shelters, hospitals as hostages, reports in the east of chemical attacks. After this it will be widespread chemical attacks, then purges, genocide. Where will it end?

He seems to push the boundaries more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think this is being lost in translation somewhat.

Firstly it's primarily for domestic audience and, secondly, what Putin is actually referring to is the minority of right wing neo nazi elements that involved themselves in the 2014 Maidan trouble and some of which got govt or local positions at various levels afterward.

That's what he is referring to. It's not coming across as it's meant to to us.

Russia has major right wing problems too so it's hardly a viable excuse for war.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Again reems and reems of paragraphs.

No one called you a Putin bot. Get real horse . You were challenged on the basis of your opinion. Superbly paragraph driven defensive. You could sum your response up in a handful of sentences you know..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't think you are a putin apologist or anything but i think ...you are ...enamoured with the idea of the russian state not enamoured of its ideals but how it likes to project itself.

How the hell you could have read "enamoured" into anything I've written about the Russian state or its leader is truly beyond me. I've repeatedly stated and quite clearly but just in case you missed it, because it seems you have and by a country mile with it: putin is a thug who slinked his way to the top during a period of economic, political and social instability, removed his enemies and promoted his friends most useful to him, robbed the Russian people of a future to line his pockets and consolidate his power, while giving them enough scraps from his table to have them believe Russia is better under him and his minions and promoted this idea through propaganda.

I've also stated that his support at home is based on this. That it's higher than we like to think in the West. That the Russian people for generations even centuries have lived under insecurity, oppression and paranoia about "outside influences" and the need for "strong men" and mass sacrifice is built in from the marrow out and their czars of every stripe have exploited and reinforced these parts of their cultural psyche, just like their current one has.

That unlike the Austrian corporal so many lazily seem eager to compare him to because it's great for easy memes on twitter, putin isn't a blip or outlier in Russian history, he's the norm.

I've also repeatedly stated that in any conventional war with American forces, on the ground, sea or in the air, Russian forces would be utterly routed. I'd give them a fortnight before they came to the table. Tops.

What I have said is putin is not some pantomime madman. It would be easier and more convenient if he was. He's no great chessplayer either. He has his and Russia's reasons for prosecuting this war, whether we like to acknowledge them or not and it's likely he'll win some, if not most of his aims as concessions for peace. IE Ukraine not in NATO(the Ukrainians have pretty much agreed to that already). The EU on the long finger. Some sort of 'independence' for regions in the Donbas, with some oversight from the UN/Russia/Ukraine(that'll go back and forth a bit before ink meets paper). He keeps Crimea(that's pretty much a done deal). A decleration from Kyiv that they'll stamp out 'nazis' in their country(more for optics than anything and for the West too). Lifting of some sanctions, while he relies on greed to sort the rest in time. For that he'll withdraw his troops from Ukraine. Reparations will be on the table of course, but I suspect he'll pull the poor mouth there, or spin it that he can't pay anything back because of the sanctions. All that will allow him to spin a "win" to his subjects at home.

However this war has weakened him and Russia. He gambled and lost thinking that like all his previous wars that he won, he clearly didn't expect the level of Ukrainian resistence he faced and faces. His armed forces have never looked weaker or more amateur in the eyes of the world. He never expected the sheer scale and incredible rapidity of near universal agreement of worldwide support for Ukraine and her people, including among those he thought were supporters. Hell, when Switzerland comes out publicly against him. If nothing else that says his money isn't worth it and when the Swiss think that... He never expected the massive and deep level of economic and political sanctions against him and Russia. Some of which he unbelievably doubled down on and will make Russia a pariah for a lot longer than this conflict rages.

That's me being "enamoured".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lukewarm06

Dont know if this was discussed earlier in the thread but below are tweets from British defence secretary...a russian imposter posing as ukranian PM emailed him and got him on a Microsoft teams call...pretty shocking on the part of the defence minister to fall for this. ..the fear is the Russians could now cleverly edit whatever was said on the call to use as propaganda for tv..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Calling for a ban on one of the reasons/excuses this disaster kicked off. Brilliant. And if you believe Ukraine doesn't have a far right problem in her society - as does Russia* - I'll have what you're smoking.

*having a bunch of Moscow backed paramilitaries named after old Adolf's fave composer Wagner and leaders with SS neck tattoos kinda gives the game away.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Good interview by the CBC with retired general Wesley Clark who led the Nato forces in Kosovo. Clark says what Putin's done is a purge, straight out of the Stalin handbook, prior to massive escalation, and in Clark's opinion the UN should intervene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7R8Y5kxM2I

• Advertisement

Yeah one liner Twitter friendly answers work for complex questions. I didn't realise reading had become such a terrible struggle for some. But if you want one sentence: I'm at least trying to see the wider picture, rather than go down the jingoistic and populist road like too many are.

As stated , several times by multiple intelligences agencies Russia are in a no win position here. Not advancing anywhere. And using their only all out tactic which is civilian shelling .

The notion they are taking Kyiv is still beyond the realms of rationale thought .

Wider picture...it is not

Cockroaches and their antenna'd bipedal descendants a billion years from now. 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I quite agree. Russia needs denazifying. Starting with he whose names means "The one who owns the world" or at least thinks he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Russia losing a lot of high ranking officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Russia has Crimea, has Kherson and will likely take Mariupol. They will control the coast along the Asov sea, and have a land bridge to Crimea.

I was reading somewhere before this kicked off that that could be one of their strategic objectives.

Ukraine is too large to conquer entirely, but hey will fight until they have enough of the country to have real leverage in inevitable peace talks.

A fortnight ago I could read everywhere that they Russian army was getting battered around the place and taking huge casualties. Well they seem to be getting their act together, and this is not over yet.

They're indescriminate bombarding of the afore mentioned places isn't getting it's act together. It's reverting to their actions in syria. And they continue to lose huge numbers and leadership on a nearly daily basis.

Mauripol is being hammered because I'd assume that's the minimum Putin will settle for when the dust has rested. The coast.

However I'm not convinced Ukraine will let that rest

Nothing will be recognised internationally by Russia maybe Crimea in time with peace talks but Nothing else. Crimea isn't still recognised as been Russian occupied by Ukraine and all the West.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

He was technically correct as Russia is a subset of everyone. Personally I would rather Ukraine was given troops on the ground and limited air support than wait for millions of Ukrainians to be exterminated, because it will be millions if nothing more is done than to grudgingly provide better weapons. The reluctancetance to provide the good stuff is as disgusting as the non-intervention and giving in to the demands of state level terrorist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement