Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

With regard a nuclear war having no winners, Russia using nukes on Ukranian cities wont result in a general exchange. Germany may finally stop buying Russian fuel(by no means a certainty) and china may get more edgy but that woukd be it.

If he wanted go full meglomaniac crazy he could nuke all the unstable polar ice shelfs in one go. Tsunamis, sea level rise and global warming would probably not lead to a nuclear retaliation, and Russia being predominately land much higher than sea level, this would be good for russia. Movie plot over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

fortnight ago I could read everywhere that they Russian army was getting battered around the place and taking huge casualties. Well they seem to be getting their act together, and this is not over yet.

I don't know where you are getting that information from but that certainly isn't true. The Russian army are getting a right battering from an inferior Ukrainian Army. If they continue at this rate, They be gone out of Ukraine in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think you might need to lay off the bottle. It's early

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This guy is convinced the invasion is literally about 'pushing boundaries'.

The picture first emerged somewhat gradually, starting with the assumption that Putin was trying not so much to take over Ukraine as to create a new geopolitical reality. When Putin says that Russia doesn’t intend to occupy Ukraine, he might actually mean it, just not in the way we think. By the time he’s done, there will not be a Ukraine to occupy, because the modern independent state that exists today will be partitioned—East Ukraine would predominantly consist of ethnic Russians and West Ukraine of ethnic Ukrainians, with an impermeable border between the two. The only question was: Where would this border fall?...

West Ukraine would be left with about a fifth of its current land mass. And it would be a region that could realistically be folded into what is now the European Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I presume he doesn't give a monkeys whether it is internationally recognised or not. He'll have serious leverage over the Ukrainian government over the longer term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Contact the Russian embassy, I'm sure they will help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

In other words, the Russian steamroller of old has been neglected too long in a barn somewhere and is now unmaintained, rusty and has bits falling off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

It may hold out and I hope relief comes but I'm doubting it. Russia will squeeze as hard as it can, its in too deep now to leave with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

Good, the more sound heads calling for material intervention, the better and the more lives that will be saved ultimately. Waiting until millions are dead is just too horrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭omega man

If the 7000 killed figure is anywhere accurate then surely they must have also suffered significant injuries. Has to be anywhere from 20-40k troops out of action??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

That's just being silly. Obviously it's the lizard people who would take over as they're so well-established already. Nuclear war wouldn't bother them because they've developed radiation-proofness. I know this is true because I saw it on YouTube.

Stone cold Sober. i admit its very unlikely, and like i said a movie type plot, but i started thinking about this with regards North Korea, with the Kim dynasty facing extermination, launching all their nukes(and even if they all hit their targets) would not result in the end of America or the World by any means. How could he leverage the force of his nuclear arsenal into a world ending threat, such that nobody would try to remove him(Kim) from power. The sea level rise would be slow enough(weeks/months) but the loss of port facilities worldwide would doom civilisation( unless you lived in a centrally orchestrated state with lots of its infrastructure and population away from the coast(eg Mongolia, north Korea and Russia). Instead of a nuclear winter you would get a more humid warmer world due to increased water vapour in the atmosphere(a greenhouse gas) due to the increased volumes of the ocean.

on second thoughts i probably need meds stronger than what a bottle can offer

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's a fantasy for most part ,

Something like 8 exist and they are test vehicles , doubt they will ever appear in large numbers , considering whats happening in Ukraine and economically in Russia I might not see production at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

There has been intense air activity in an out of Kaliningrad of late, take this morning as an example, with IL-96 transport aircraft shipping equipment.

Is Putin going to make a play for the Suwalki gap? Swedish commercial airline pilots have encountered GPS and Radar interference over and near Kaliningrad of late, indicating jamming. However nothing is showing on the Sentinel 1 images yesterday ( Radar jamming shows up on the images as long lines of interference) the Swedish Airforce have been flying recon missions off the coast of Kaliningrad every day.

There is a Nuclear weapons storage facility in the forest just North of Kaliningrad city. You can follow the road up to the warning sign on Google earth street view. It recently got an overall and refurbishment. If you street view all of the military sites in the enclave, they all appear to be dilapidated or poorly maintained.

Ita also worth taking a look at the Naval base to the West. The amount of ships currently tied up there ( latest image update is March) is incredible. I even spotted 4 giant Naval Hovercraft on their concrete stands close to the entrance to the base, near the two navigation lights on the tip of the piers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Can we please dial back the hyperbole? Millions are not going to die for god's sake. Well not unless WW3 actually kicks off. And it won't, or it's very very unlikely to.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This pretty much sums up being a neighbour of Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

So having acknowledged that Russia is as Nazi as UIkraine (and, evidently much more so) you are still fine with people claiming that 'de-Nazification' is legitimately a reason for this invasion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

That all depends on the resistance which up to now has been unbelievable by Ukraine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It doesn't even have to squeeze that much. For all their losses Russian forces control a fair bit of strategically important parts of Ukraine. Millions of refugees have fled the country, too many people have been killed and are being killed and the world wants an end to this and peace. Unless there's an upswell of anti war and anti putin voices in Russia - and I sadly doubt that's going to happen in time, if at all - Russia has still got a lot of leverage and will use that to get what they want, or certainly more than Ukraine or us want to give them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

I hope he died slowly and in pain. Lowest of the low

That wasn't exactly my take from that. He seemed to be saying letting Putin win is the end of the idea of the UN, so if you want the principle of a rules based order that underpins the UN to survive, the west has to win; and he's being far too cagey about specific recommendations for action, but does say basically, whatever it takes.

I think he and the west would rather sit back and hope assistance and sanctions will deliver a win, but I doubt he or other western leaders believes it's enough.

This annoys me, because the west knows the most likely outcome is an eventual win for Putin at a horrendous cost to Ukraine, but they are stalling on doing more because of this faint hope.

It's like watching the Chinese commit real and cultural genocide against the Uyghurs and hoping they will have a change of heart at some point, or patching a hole in an exhaust you know won't last, but hope it will, istead of replacing it which you know you will have to do anyway, except without the tens of thousands of dead and far more with life changing injuries and suffering that could have been avoide by not dithering and equivocating and acting sooner.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Not if the Chinese, as reported, start or continue to supply military assistance. It could get even uglier

how so?

RT main site is still up... Russia 1 is up but the English site doesn't give a toned down version of the Russian version..

Россия 1 isn't available on Youtube in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If Russia are firing cruise missiles from the Black Sea to Lviv, does this mean the missiles are being flow over Moldovan airspace or maybe even Romanian space? Or do they get routed to specifically stay in Ukrainian airspace?

The one thing that most alarmed in the prelude to the invasion was the Russia setting up a large field hospital near the Ukraine border. I didn't think you would do that just for a bluff or exercise. So given all the satellite imagery we have had, I'm wondering why we couldn't have some of the activity around the field hospital. It wouldn't surprise me if they hadn't also significantly expanded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I wonder how many they are actually losing in battle or are having unexplained work place accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Re tanks lost by Russians (1) the tanks that turned on the front are probably the ones that they could start and the ones they have lost are causing tank obstruction on the roads and also are a reminder to the tanks entering the fray what could happen to them , so the 10% loss may have a greater impact than the mathematical loss.

Less hastle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Things must be incredibly bad if you're sending generals and high ranking officials to the front to force your men to fight. Or maybe it's punishment by Putin. Old Russian tactic.

All Eyes On Rafah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement