Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

You're not helping yourself are you? And its you who keeps repeating the same "rubbish"

"50 years exploring and found nothing"

😅😅😅

You missed this which was posted previously

"Exploration in Ireland is undertaken by license. Companies undertake exploration based on a cost / value basis so where oil and gas prices are high internationally - exploration demands and value increase.

Todate gas exploration licenses have been awarded at the Kinsale Head, Ballycotton, Seven Heads and Corrib fields. From 1978 to 1995, Kinsale Head along with Ballycotton and Sevens Head, supplied all of Ireland's gas. Corrib field contributed the equivalent of 50% of Ireland's gas consumption. In addition the finding of the Barryroe oilfield of Ireland’s South Coast has the potential to provide the 120,000 barrels of oil a day that Ireland consumes, and a proportion of the gas needed to generate about 60 per cent of its electricity. Current licences for exploration are held by Equinor and Europa Oil & Gas.

The fact that Ireland requires a safe, secure and dependable source of gas is without question. Being wholly dependant on imports of an increasingly scarce, expensive and necessary resource is a now a very serious issue for the country as a whole. And if additional gas fields are not found, there will always be those who will be only too delighted."

As you keep on pointing  out Ireland is not "Germany". Neither are we "Denmark, NZ or France". Maybe best to be consistent  when trying to argue otherwise what you are saying is just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

This wins the most ridiculous post of the day. My family is in building trade, none of them are complaining about the reg's they have to adhere to. In fact they see the advantage and how great technology has moved on.

If a builder is complaining, then I would suggest you walk quickly away because you are soon to be on a dodgy builders show

Are you actually suggesting that someone builds a house without cavity insulation? yet they have put in A2W? you do realise if they do that the house will cost an absolute fortune to heat and the home owners will lose thousands?

Solar PV/Water does not have to be included in new houses. Solar water, I guess you mean Solar thermal, you have a A2W which is heating the water, why are you putting in Solar thermal?

Heat recovery is a lot cheaper to install during the build.

But from day 1 you should have an architect and a QS. You build the house to the budget you have. You should not be building a house that is too big for you to pay for, that is what we call the Celtic Tiger and look how we ended up after that.

Post edited by brokenangel on

So can you answer what Ireland is going to find after 50 years?

In terms of the last bit, I am sure the other poster can speak for themselves in regards to that but to point out, that is just a reference that other countries have done the same. Three days now we have constant posts about Germany. Sorry if you can't spot the difference

As I pointed out, in the period from 2011 - 2020 the Greens had nobody in Government. Now can you please explain how the Green party changed everything during that period?

Or is this just another statement you can't back up like the "solar pv only works 3 months a year"

Post edited by brokenangel on

😂

I bet that list is a long one .

Best of luck. I would suggest if you know anyone building a house, tell them to please put in insulation

• Advertisement

You asked what natural gas was found in the last 50 years and even after all the finds were listed - you now ask "what Ireland is going to find after 50 years"? lol

Well I guess despite after having up to 58% of all our natural gas needs already being supplied by our own natural gas field over those 50 years, the question is what will our natural gas resources be now?

The answer is Nothing, Nada, Neichts, Zero. And that despite the fact that there are natural gas finds remaining untapped of the south coast which it is estimated could provide up to 60% of our Electricity generation needs.

But why is that? Because the green party here have repeatedly sought to end the exploration of natural gas resources as part of their Green Party policy and Programme for Government and have recently succeded in doing so. Capiche?

And yes you compare Ireland to Denmark, NZ and France and yet bizarrely no-one can mention the poster child which was Germany (until recently held up by the greens as an example of what Ireland should be doing). Now the Germans have seen the reality of the situation they're in, they have finally copped on. Something the greens here haven't for sure. Maybe be like the Germans for a change eh?

Back talking about Germany 🤦‍♂️

So at least we have confirmed it is correct to stop exploration because after 50 years. So we can close that down as a good move by the greens.

Any chance you have actually any other Green policies to discuss? or you still stuck on the energy discussion?

Knock knock? Hello? Have you being paying attention at all?

That is other than you repeatedly and incorrectly claiming that Ireland had none of its own natural gas resources and then later trying to bizarrely claim that those resources were "tiny" despite our natural gas resources actually providing up to 58% of all natural gas needs in the last 50 years?

"So at least we have confirmed it is correct to stop exploration because after 50 years. So we can close that down as a good move by the greens."*

No you have not "confirmed" it was correct to stop exploration at all

The fact it's a grossly fcuking stupid idea at a time when Ireland more than ever needs a safe, secure and dependable source of natural gas to help stabilise the inherent problems of renewable energy generation in this country

So now the inconvenient facts are all out there, you want to change the subject from one of the most important issues under discussion to something else because it doesn't suit you? Or it shows the green party for what it is?

Btw I'll stop mentioning Germany when you stop mentioning Denmark, NZ and France or wherever suits your various odd arguments.

* You may wish to use Google translate again as that comment really makes no sense at all. But no matter

Post edited by Mecanudo on

Defend what exactly?

So far the thread is people rambling on about energy and have zero idea what other policies the Green Party put forward in the past or present

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

As true as this is, I don't think even the US military think that they'll be able to bomb climate change into submission

• Advertisement

interestingvideo about converting ICE yo BEV

I saw that, very interesting prospect. Fair to say its early days yet and the battery pack and model selection is very limited but you'd hope over the next couple of years that it would be extended across both.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,074 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Not surprised that like the gaps in your knowledge on green policies,you also missed that for years Germany has been held up to us as the shining light.

We are Ireland indeed, but with Irish greens removing articles from their website, their complete refusal to recognise the present realities let alone do anything about them, or the problems the whole policy has created, you could believe we were North Korea.

Rambling on about energy?

You mean one of the single most important issues of our time? Ah ok.

So far your many of your comments have included wholescale misinformation or exhibited a strange lack of knowledge of amongst other things energy and Green Party policy

Now I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that maybe language comprehension might be an issue (frankly I don't know), but there's is absolutely no way on this earth, you could not know that Ireland has its own resources of natural gas and that that those resources have contributed a significant proportion of the natural gas used in electricity generation here. This information is in the public domain and easy to find, and yet you have repeatedly denied, ignored, deflected and obfuscated those basic facts.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying you're a Gazprom agent but fuq me they couldn’t do any better.

Then there's the constant gate keeping within the thread. Allow me to detail.

"Maybr you should go live in Germany you seem so obsessed about it "

"If you want to discuss Sinn Fein I suggest you head over to that thread"

"I am sure we already had this discussion on another thread."

"Any chance you have actually any other Green policies to discuss? or you still stuck on the energy discussion?"

"That’s it, if you want to discuss Germany renewal maybe start a Thread on them, just an idea. They have no relevance"

And that's certainly not discussion eitherway.

Housing not important?

Health system not important?

what good is electricity if you have poor health and no house.

I won’t go through the list

Thats an embarrassing statement

But what about but what about but what about but what

🤷‍♂️

Do you agree energy is not the most important?

In reality the most important of our time is water, clean water.

But what about but what about but what

You need to read what was written

Energy..."one of the single most important issues of our time"

But yes without a secure, reliable and dependable source of energy water pumping or treatment of same cannot be guaranteed

Without a secure, reliable and dependable source of energy a programme of house building cannot be pursued

And I won't go through the entire list.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,074 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If you are determined to not look and prevent anyone else from looking then you are not going to find anything.

Your blind defense of a policy that even the Irish Green party are now embaressed the pushed is just laughable at this stage. It`s not as if the granting of exploration licenses would even cost the state a red cent. That policy now looks nothing more than the greens for whatever warped reasoning are afraid further natural gas fields are found.

To save time and effort perhaps you could post a list of countries we are allowed to discuss and those we are not. Reasons why and why not would also be a help

🤣

Really it’s just ranting and raving now. Between deleting information off the web, Germany and now North Korea. If you are really posting about this for 8 years you show a real lack of knowledge

Let me point it out one last time, the Greens came into government in 2020 as a minor member, before that it was 9 years they had been part of the government, again as a minor member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Cant watch this video at the moment (I’m in a very quiet place!) but what range is on that car after being changed to BEV?

What speed can it charge at and can it get insurance.

I would love to do this.

Agreed.

however to clean water and make it potable do we not need energy to do this? (Barring a mountain stream which obviously won’t supply a city for example)

Without electricity modern civilisation doesn’t really work.

You realise that yeah?

No electricity= no water, no heat, no internet, no cash, etc etc

You don’t need electricity for water

If we did then how did people survive for thousands of years without electricity?

Oh for gods sake will you stop.

Pumping stations don’t run on nice thoughts!

I think you may be a troll, your not actually helping “green” ideas here one bit. In fact your making a bollox of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

That's what they want, luddite, puritanical backward society with little or no civil rights.

Dystopia is the Green dream

I disagree to some extent

Green policies can work to some extent, I mean who in their right mind wants to intentionally damage the environment?

We should be looking at re using as much as possible, re purposing what we can.

Not going mad buying shiny brand new EVS but repurposing existing stock to run in the cleanest reliable energy available (whatever that may be).

Some of the folks on this thread seem to want a more extreme version of green policies?

This particular company are focusing on small city cars like the fiat 500 and because they're only fitting 16kwh of batteries (by replacing the fuel tank with batteries) the range is about 100km.

Insurance should not be an issue as the conversion packs will have been approved and certified as safe and roadworthy within the EU

I'm not sure how fast it can charge

They're planning on shipping the first kits in Q1 2023

I think the Fiat 500 got a 15KW battery park, 100km range.

If I recall there's only 3 ICE models they are doing to start with and they are all tiny cars.

Their approach is to only replace the bare minimum of the ICE components to keep the costs down, so redundant parts will still be in the car after the conversion. Other parts they reuse. One example, they repurpose the fuel gauge a the battery level indicator

I've seen one off's where a complete overhaul is done and everything possible is swapped out, this is not that.

Like I said earlier it looks to be a smart approach and it's likely there will be larger battery/range options as they include bigger models.

• Advertisement

just to add to what you've said there. The very odd thing about the whole green party policy on energy is that what they've done with regards to banning all natural gas exploration, is that it goes against their own energy policy

As detailed on their website.

"Energy efficiency and conservation are key to the transformation to a lower carbon society. We must ensure that we can provide our country with reliable, economically competitive energy, and where possible we must endeavour to source our energy from our own renewable resources, reducing our reliance on imported energy."

By ending the exploration of natural gas resources the green party are infact increasing the country's reliance on imported energy. Especially where it is recognised that natural gas is now essential to help stabilise issues regarding renewable energy generation.

I simply can't get my head around the stupidity of it all.

Advertisement