Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,627 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So, you're completely dismissing my opinions, claiming it's just an American view, about American topics, expressed with American phrases, while being adamant I should listen to others.

GB News specifically launched itself saying it was going to be non-Woke and their current poster child uses the term frequently so maybe you insisting that it is an American thing only, and me being able to give examples that that is clearly not the case should tell you that what I am talking about is indeed more than just of US relevance.

I'm confident in expressing my opinion, I've given detailed examples in my posts on this thread of what I am referring to. I'm not going to stop just because you want to ignore that and try to make this in to something just about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There is certainly a lot of alt right/far right people speaking about freedom of speech but in reality they are only concerned about freedom of the speech they use or would like to use and their authoritarian viewpoint on the world would very easily see them ban lots of speech they don't like. It's a talking point for them. Nothing more really.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Well, they would argue that they are being shut down and use examples of Trump or others being kicked off Twitter as evidence of this . They misrepresent 2 factors in relation to this. One, there have always been limitations on speech which is hateful or likely going to cause harm, and that is what blatant misinformation about the election and Covid is and was. And two, Twitter is a private company and doesn't have to host anyone it doesn't want to.

And meanwhile, the right leaning administrations are implying severe restrictions on anyone who is teaching history in a particular way, even though it is true. And in Florida they have brought in regulations prohibiting disclosing and discussing of sexual identity in schools.

Kicking Trump or Marjorie Taylor Greene off Twitter because they are spreading lies, is not hateful, stopping people discussing their sexual identity or learning of an accurate representation of what their ancestors experienced, is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Look at what your buddy in Moscow has done today, a theatre full of sheltering children and their families blown flat.

You can take a running jump with your analysis.

Hi welcome to Boards, you'll fit right in.

And to clarify, you are the one who used the words Nazis, not me. But you do have a point. They felt emboldened enough to fly the flag in Florida recently didn't they.

• Advertisement

My analysis is that he has been emboldened by 'right minded' people particularly those who sought to weaken Europe and the US over the last few years.

So, you're going to have to explain to me how that makes him my buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

I assume he means, your little antifa buddies.

Boris Johnsons former employer has long been doing its bit as a friend of Putin.

Talking of postures, take The Telegraph's equally submissive stance towards the Kremlin. Their monthly supplement – “Russia Beyond the Headlines” isn't an incisive investigative look at Putinist corruption, nor a crack team of undercover reporters exposing the Kremlin-funded far-right gangs supported by Putin.

Beyond the Headlines is another soft power extension by a Russian state-owned newspaper, Rossiyskaya Gazeta. It publishes seemingly innocuous articles about Russian culture, carefully designed to improve Russia's reputation in the West. The Telegraph, pimped out by the Barclay brothers to Kremlin propagandists, is thought to receive at least £40,000 per month for the arrangement.

How are they my buddies? Sorry to disappoint but I don't know enough about them to be a fan.

But let me ask you this, if you had to express support for either an anti-facist organisation, or a white supremacist one, which one would you give your vote to?

I remember plenty of people on the left who organised free speech rallies and they were labelled as alt right too. Could you supply any evidence for ‘the left’ supporting freedom of speech? Holding rallies, making it an issue, that sort of thing.

This funny video from Ryan Long makes the point rather well, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

FFS really?

Anyone would think you haven't heard of Colin Kaepernick and the efforts by people to prevent him expressing his freedom of speech

In the UK, the response to the Sarah Everard vigil actions by police was people on the left denouncing the heavy-handedness that was used and since then the Tory government have brought in a police and crimes bill within which the freedom to protest is explicitly curtailed. The only people complaining about this are left wing people.

Again, the outrage at a finger being pointed at the right after so many on here participated for years, and still do, in pointing them at the left is funny because its all too predictable. All the toys are being thrown out of the cot. In fact, I've a distinct memory of you posting about 'the left's reaction to Donald Trump on the thread dedicated to him, and here you are complaining about people using left and right terms.

Except you did, you choose to post a picture of what I presume is people being identified as one of those groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭francois

There were more than three dozen accusations made against me in that thread that no one could supply evidence for. The fact that you would again bring up something which I never said shows you are not interested in discussion but smearing people with your lies. In future I will be ignoring you, you are toxic and a liar.

This is what you have said previously and proves this whole thread is disingenuous from you tell me how.

doesn't encourage the idea that it's a unifying administration

“Nor should it. There is zero coming from Conservatives in terms of being open to unification or appeasement. Several of them have actively campaigned at home showcasing the benefits of Bidens Bills while voting against them being passed. 

You have conservative sitting representatives under active investigation for trying to prevent Biden being duly processed so as to be President, you have them going to CPAC and other conferences where they actively talk about not only being combative towards his ideas, but they and their media wing (Fox News) are actively talking about physical aggression as a form of opposition. Not to mention their continued efforts to undermine the electoral process.

I wish the Democrats had a See You Next Tuesday who was able to call the conservatives as they see it just so that people would realise that they were actually aware of what the Republicans are actually up to.”

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118362755/#Comment_118362755

Your words that Bidens administration is right in having a combative derisory tone. I can actually prove the things that I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You appear to be confusing right wing and far right here. Ireland does have a well organised credible right with 2 largeish centre right parties. Ireland doesnt have a credible far right.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

oh please middle ireland landlords and bankers control all soft power in this state lets not kid ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭AllForIt

In the UK, the response to the Sarah Everard vigil actions by police was people on the left denouncing the heavy-handedness that was used and since then the Tory government have brought in a police and crimes bill within which the freedom to protest is explicitly curtailed.

The UK government made amendments to the 'right to protest' over climate activists gluing themselves to major motorways that resulted in ambulances not being able to get to their destination. The amendment had nothing whatsoever to do with the protest at the Sarah Everade vigil, which was a protest related to the conduct of the Metropolitan police. Nothing whatsoever to do with a political argument.

Your spin, and that is all it is, that the UK is becoming some kind of right wing totalitarian state, because of Brexit, is utterly laughable and ridiculous.

Post edited by AllForIt on

Irish government parties have ways to improve, but I wouldn't put them in the same category as others who I am referring to here in terms of how they have been influenced, and how they are focused. I personally see Irish government parties as central as they come.

And what I am referring to in the OP, I am not specifically saying that all of it or the people involved are 'far right' in the conventional sense. Though some of them definitely are and all of them are far right as to be problematic.

I don't agree with a lot of right leaning philosophies, but I can understand the basic principle amongst those who up to and including the region of centre right. The state I live in has a Republican Governor and I have little issue with their policies. But they specifically and expressly went against the narrative that many others adopted after taking Trumps lead. And that is some of the danger I am talking about.

'Right wing totalitarian' are your words.

Why are you talking about amendments because of climate activists, when it doesn't relate to anything that I said, or introduce a new relevant topic?

This is what the UK government says about the bill;

The Bill widens the range of situations in which police officers can place conditions on protests in England and Wales, allowing officers to set conditions to prevent the noise generated by the protest in question having a significant impact on people or cause serious disruption to the activities of organisations in the vicinity.

Since day dot, the merit in protests was to cause disruption in order to motivate people to act positively so that the protests would stop. Introducing a law in this way is making it possible for police to stop protests because they are disruptive. That is way close to limiting free speech than the act of a private company not giving a platform to someone spreading lies.

• Advertisement

This is the type of dangerous narrative right wing mouthpieces push.

While the Ukraine is under attack from Russia, Candace identifies their President as being the dangerous one. And the text above her tweet, is what she previously said about Hitler.

Candace is one of the Conservative mouthpieces who appears regularly on Fox News pushing narratives such as these. This is nothing new, Ann Coulter did it before her and there are others like her. And of course there are Liberal mouthpieces as well of course, but the difference is that they are generally talking about advocacy in some form whereas this angle is empowering dictators and fascists.

And on another right wing platform. This is their take on what is happening in Ukraine.

This, is dangerous.

And while Trump and his inner circle have spent years pushing a false narrative about being concerned about election integrity, aside from what is going on in electoral boards in GOP controlled disctricts across the country, this is what is happening in reality.

Who doesn't want election integrity? It's one of those things that it's a no-brainer position to have but where it gets dangerous is when your actions behind the scenes show how little you really care about it but the key players are fairly confident they'll get away with it because of their PR channels and individuals and the influence they hold. This is the Chief of Staff of the President who incited an insurrection on the basis of claims about the election having been stolen. You would think that if they really were concerned, or even half concerned about election integrity, there would be zero questions about their own vote integrity, and yet, we have this, or Trump begging official to find only enough votes to allow him to win. And they've been getting away with it because some people don't look closely enough to see what is really happening and too many either don't care or actually think the end justifies the means and so they don't complain about it.

No wonder he said he loves the poorly educated.

Simple playbook, create a false narrative.

And then talk about saying things like 'I hear', 'They're saying' and 'many people say'. Simple and unfortunately, effective. Or too close to being effective for comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It's interesting.

A lot of right wing mouthpieces love Putin. Yet his counterparts in let's say the Arab world or china they all loathe. Probably because Putin is white.

They like white fascist dictators.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Owens is an amazing manipulator I'll give her that. I've read somewhere that she's made a career decision early in life after taking up a claim for racism against her that she was going to take the path she took in terms of being an outspoken black conservative. It was a career move and one she knew she could make a lot of money from and the white people who were racist towards her are now manipulated into being her supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sutrapall

Neoliberalism, globalisation and infantilisation are the bedfellows of the "left", a neopolitan ice cream laced through with laxative.

And then people look at the current state of the world and wonder why the bed has been thoroughly shat.

What has gained momentum in the last 10/20 years in society, and then couple it to the crapness of what has happened in the last 10/20 years. There you go. Rocket science.

So it's the left's fault because the right have behaved in a particular way? That makes no sense.

What has gained momentum in the last 10/20 years which has influenced the crapness that has happened in recent years and is happening now?

Social media. It has been the biggest gamechanger in the last 20 years as it has given bad faith actors a conduit to individual people that has never before been seen. And this conduit has been filled with fake news, and propaganda that has influenced the understanding of and perception of the actions of significant individuals in the political space and entire voting groups.

Here's what went on around Brexit

The ads, created by Canadian company Aggregate AIQ, often focused on specific issues - such as immigration or animal rights - thought likely to push the buttons of certain groups of people, based on their age, where they lived and other personal data taken from social media and other sources.

The BeLeave messages were more closely directed at younger voters, promising a "brighter future" if the UK could stop "EU regulators keeping us in the past" and accusing Brussels of regulating ride-sharing apps such as Uber and enforcing quotas on data streaming.

The 120 pages of documents appear to back up the findings of the Electoral Commission, which ruled last week that Vote Leave broke electoral law by working jointly with another campaign, BeLeave - something denied by both groups.

And as we have seen, the reality of Brexit is very different from that which was promised and in the same way, the reality of Britain in the EU was very different from what those who wanted them to leave said it was.

And here from one of the people involved in setting up Cambridge Analytica which was heavily implicated in the above and goings on around the 2016 US election.

"I think it's incredibly reasonable to say that AIQ played a very significant role in Leave winning," he told British lawmakers. "My question is where did they get the data? How do you create a massive operation in a country where AIQ had not worked before?"

Wylie also gave insight into how Cambridge Analytica was created in late 2013. The unit was set up by Robert Mercer, a U.S. billionaire; Steve Bannon, a former campaign manager for Trump's 2016 campaign; and Alexander Nix, Cambridge Analytica's chief executive, who was suspended following the most recent allegations.

• Advertisement

Yep, takes some neck to claim you didn't experience racism growing up when you literally sued claiming that you yourself had been a victim of it.

Advertisement