Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

What's people thoughts on big feedlots regarding meal going through the roof. A lot of these boys no more than the huge dairy men are up to their bollox in debt (expanding with leased land, new sheds best of machinery and robotic parlours) running a high input high output model. With rising interest rate imminent and input costs soaring will these big dairy and feedlot men go to the wall as output price will never match it. Secondly will the co-op that supply them let them fail.

Reason I ask, alot of talk going on at the mart yesterday regarding big feedlots for both lamb and beef under pressure with meal. Usually this could be bullshit and ring talk but there is one particular man who I would believe 100% saying some huge dairy men could go wallop if interest rates rise and there margin is gobbled by fertiliser and meal. He reckoned they cannot just cut numbers like the other lads that have no debt as they need the numbers to keep up with payments.

Got on well 535kg Charlois heifer good square animal €1590, best price few plainer types and lighter averaging around €1300-€1400. Not bad money but had to let off 6 of them as not going to be pushing fertiliser this year

Like to know what your thoughts are doesn't sound to good anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Turnover may save some of the dairy men. Beef feedlots will be under pressure. However most will have rolling contracts with processor's. High leasing rates will come under pressure as pushing out put will not be an option.

What may catch some larger dairy men is if they have to much milk in fixed price deals. If they drop output they still have to supply the number of litres at a fixed price. Co-ops are trying to sort something out for lads that entered these fixed price contracts in the last twelve months.

Lads ways taught these were a sure bet with little risk on the top side. They had not factored costs escalating. Very few beef men will be on longer than 3 months contracts. However the real catch for these lads is can they maintain output and still make a margin.

Most are dependent on buying straights, maize, root crops and straw with a bit of silage. In the last 2-3 years straw has doubled on price. Straights and rations have gone up by 70% in the last five year with most of that in the last twelve months. In one way processor's want these lads. However they were being used to keep a lid in seasonal variations. The processor's had managed to keep the risk period from April to June, however last year the risky period for them was July/August.

We are at present nearly the lowest priced beef in Europe so there is plenty of meat on the bone still to go around

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Ballina Mart, few lads around said they're going even more the Saturdays in Dowra.

What happens when the interest rates rises kick in here they have already started to but them up in America. Are these big agri loans for robotics and machinery variable rates or fixed. If they a variable rates which I think they are (checked BOI and AIB there any agri loan over 60,000 is variable rate and at 6.5%), if the ECB rate goes up by even 1-2% over the next 2 years commercial and mortgage rates usually go double what ever they go up, that may be enough of straw to break the cows back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

That talk has been going on some time began. Big feed lots are either financed by the processors or independent. The ones linked directly to the processor (which are the majority) don't 'own' the stock not as exposed there. I know of a big independent in the midlands who has a very good credit facility in a few marts. I doubt he owes a shilling to anyone except credit. All these guys know their stuff and some can even take a hit every so often.

The dairy guys were always looked after by a decent price. I remember early eighties they took a hit with interest rates, they was a bad price for a couple of years in the nineties and then again around 2014 ish. They bounced back.

I wouldn't loose too much sleep over any of them, this will all pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Beef is up a €1 a kg on this time last year. So €450 for more than last year for a good bull. Most feedlots would have forward bought meal before the winter at less than €280 a tonne. Maybe €30-€40 more than last year.

Forward store price took a major lift a month or so ago when the feedlots were given the go ahead to buy away for cattle to kill in may/June. Obviously there was a price given that would cover extra meal costs this spring.

I Pass no heed of anything I hear in the mart. The same stories go round and round. The worse the news the more you hear it.

There is no fear of any of those big feedlots going bust anytime soon.

I would suspect that back in the 80s the price of machinery was not as high as today and as regards robotic and rotary parlours capital expenditure that have investment costs of over a million were not around. I think a couple of percent extra on there repayments coupled with feed and fertiliser input costs they may be worse off than we think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Grueller

I was never at a beef sale yet where there wasn't talk of dairy men going bang.

That's true about the cost of living in the eighties but not many had huge cow numbers, silage was poorer quality, parlours very inefficient and everything appeared cheaper by today's standards.

Times have moved on so has standard of living. Dairy men purchase stuff without having to think unlike drystock men and I don't mean they are rolling in it. Banks wouldn't give loans without business plans and those are tested at varying degrees of fluctuations to incomes. Yes I'm sure some might struggle like they did in the years I mentioned but I wouldn't bet on a doomsday scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

Obviously your connections to logic and common sense are tenuous in the extreme.

A lot of shorter term loans have been refinanced using SCBI money. There has been been subsidized loan money around for the last 3-4 years. Only disadvantage of it is the terms are 6-7 years max. You can borrow at sub 3% if you get it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Are fat fr cow's making more at the mart or the factory

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

€1440 for a 760kg FR cow 2013 born just after going through the ring in Cavan mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Hi all, Anybody any quotes for for factories next week??

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Milking cows or feeding Cattle rarely got any body to go bust , most guys that hit the wall spent money they didn’t have on over priced land or property

Was talking to a neighbour earlier said he is getting €4.75 base for bullocks this week

A 330 kg Fr bullock grading O- would make 1525 and if it was an O= it would make 1575 euro.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

A 500 kg limo bullock grading U= would make €2560 and if it was an U+ it would make 2595 euro.

Based on yer experience, which one would leave the greater margin for the farmer that buys as a store. I know this year is a very different year. But in the normal run of things The 500 kg lim or the 330 kg fr bullock DW. A 500 kg bullock DW when he was LW is a serious animal, particularly if you can get them in under 30 months, if that's possible. They were a common site on many a farm around here 20+ years ago but rarely see one now.

• Advertisement

I honestly couldn’t tell you as I don’t buy stores as it’s suckler calf to beef here.

But what I do recall from my fathers time cos he did half and half suckler to beef and bought in Charlie/limo weanlings as well, the bought in ones never killed as well as our own. Now maybe cos that was they weren’t fancy ones when bought in, I don’t know.

I have a closed herd here (apart from a bull) so haven’t bought cattle in a mart in about 10 years and even at that I used to buy off the land from done deal.

Thanks Cavanjack. Be interesting to see what way it will go over the coming months. Have a few bullocks getting close to been ready so my eyes are particularly focused on the current market.

Never mind a 500kg carcass coz they’d be that few of them. I’ve a few to kill in the next couple of weeks that are a little over 800kg now so expect them to kill at least 450kg and r+ or better. So they’d come into €2250.

They were bought last April at 450kg for €1070 and will have eaten €220 of meal.

Couldnt really tell you how the friesian would have done. Bass can take it from here.

That’s nearly €1000 margin which is brilliant. Good weight gain in that time too.

Always say if you can average 450 dw you are doing well.

best of luck with them in the next few weeks.

Not really an option to finish Friesians out of sheds. Having said that there was a good thrive last autumn before housing. To kill 330kgs you need to reach LW of 660/670kgs. Friesians ate sold in bunches of 3-6, you would really need to pick the ones out of bunches that would grade O-/O=. Now I have heard of flat prices for mixed bunches.

A bunch of 330 DW kg Friesian at s base of 4.7/kg grading O=/- would average 1535, however if you got a flat price if 4.75 you add another 33 euro to that price.

I am hoping for a base if at least 4.5 in July/August my heavier Friesians will be hitting 340kgs and some will be hitting 360DW. At a guess 1550 average for mid summer cattle. Stores cost 640 euro last autumn

Slava Ukrainii

Killed a load of these bullocks during the week. €4.75 base. They killed out an average weight of 460kg and averaged a little over €2300. Average price paid for them this time last year was €1070.

The pick of them cost €1020 and killed out 520kg a u-. He came into over €2600. Long may it last but I don’t think there is a hope that I’ll replace them this year for that money unfortunately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I've been on the look out of a few good continental light store bulls/bullocks for a job the last month. There's very little natural type cattle about that would do a thrive over the summer on grass and it's impossible to buy what is there imo. I thought I was being fairly generous with the budget at the beginning and yet couldn't get a look in at the ringside. I've driven cattle €50 and more than I thought a good price and still come up short.

I know lad's are getting on well atm with beef or forward stores but the majority of it is going back to replace them imo. With the uncertainty around inputs and the money tied up in stock I don't know what beef price will be wanted in the backend to square the circle in a lot of cases.

The factory feedlots are paying the big prices for forward stores that many farmers would usually buy this time of year. These farmers are then left to buy the lighter store this year creating more competition round the ring.

Forward store are the way to go atm... little runners etc making crazy money.

• Advertisement

Too many lads looking for the fancier Continental HE or AA store that is due for finished this year or can be resold in the autumn.

I was looking at yearling in a few marts. I saw some dairy cross BBX 300 kgs only making 1.8/ kg. The whitish framy type. Most FR yearlings 300-330 were making 1.6-1.8/ kg but I saw a bunch 320 kgs sold for 440 euro. I saw odds and ends of Continentals 260-300 kgs R grade. Cattle that will not be huge making less than 2/kg. Some fancier 200-250 runners 450-600 euri

Except I always tight for grass at this time of year I would not mind buying the likes of them. Ya there are all 15 month cattle but a lot of them will leave a grand in 15 months.

Other than grass 4 bales of silage will winter them in my system and 150-200 kgs of ration will finish them

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement